Old 01-25-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I doubt chicken broth (or stew) is any more dangerous than any other meat broth.
Oh, I don't think it is. Both chicken and beef broth were used, IIRC, in culturing bacteria in science classes I took decades ago. I'm just adding additional detail. It's the whole nutritional aspect of broth, temperature, and it being (quite literally, in the case of my class), a breeding ground for bacteria.

Now raw chicken, that's another thing I get very careful about, but that was not a concern in this story for the reasons you stated.

Yeah, as for sense of smell, mine may not be as good as others. The eggs I think I got sick off are eggs that one of my dining companions thought smelled a little off, but smelled perfectly fine to me. So I don't trust my sense of smell. I think I have a reasonably good sense of smell, but obviously not enough to avoid salmonella or whatever the hell it was I caught.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-25-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
I made it myself!!!!

Last April, when wild onion season came in (or as we call them 'round here, "munions"), I decided I'd look on YouTube for a recipe that uses them. Sure enough, I found a guy whose schtick is creating old-timey (think 1700s and 1800s) recipes using period-specific equipment and techniques, and foraged ingredients. He had a recipe for a sort of meatless shepherd's pie that used them.

It was utterly disgusting on every level -- taste, texture, visual presentation. No sooner had the fork entered my mouth then I was violently spitting it out and gargling with water, trying valiantly not to puke.
You don't have ramps in your area, do you? Or do you have to go farther east for them?

Was it the Townsends channel on You Tube? I enjoy it a lot, and usually the recipes look at least reasonably tasty, although I've never tried any of them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson
Old 01-27-2020, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
You don't have ramps in your area, do you? Or do you have to go farther east for them?

Was it the Townsends channel on You Tube? I enjoy it a lot, and usually the recipes look at least reasonably tasty, although I've never tried any of them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson
It was indeed Townsends!!!!!!

No, not ramps. Looking at pictures, ramps have broader leaves. My wild onions look from above like chives: tall, narrow, darker green leaves.

ETA: When they come in in a couple of months, I'll post pictures.

Last edited by HeyHomie; 01-27-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:46 AM

Bun bo Hue. It's a sort of Vietnamese beef noodle soup.

It's ghastly. Horrid. Gnarly. Weird, spicy dishwatery-flavored broth with more than a hint of organ meat flavor, weird mystery meats- something very uniformly liver-purple colored (seemed like congealed blood) that was cut in chunks and still had the can-markings on it, some sort of round spongy.. something (my wife kept telling me they were slices of some animal's testicle), stringy-assed very tough beef pieces, hunks of bone, and a nice layer of red grease floating on it, along with some vegetables and noodles.

It's the only time I've actually had to take my advice of "Try something new... if you don't like it, now you know, and you don't have to finish it. You can always stop on the way home for a hamburger."
Old 01-27-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
One of my favorite movies is "Babette's Feast", and there's a scene where this kind of thing happens.
I was living in San Jose when the movie came out and one of the local chefs offered a prix fixe dinner that duplicated the feast except...
SPOILER:
...he substituted pastry heads on the quail.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:02 PM

For a given value of “cooked”

Sun dried mice on a stick lying on a well used woolen blanket on the side of the road in northern Malawi. The only prep was breaking the side branches off the stick and inserting.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:

No, not ramps. Looking at pictures, ramps have broader leaves. My wild onions look from above like chives: tall, narrow, darker green leaves.

OK. Are you talking about yard onions? Those grow extensively from about the Iowa-Missouri border latitude, south, and are technically edible but few people eat them. I read somewhere that when the pioneers came through, they couldn't use milk from certain pastures because it tasted like those onions.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK. Are you talking about yard onions? Those grow extensively from about the Iowa-Missouri border latitude, south, and are technically edible but few people eat them. I read somewhere that when the pioneers came through, they couldn't use milk from certain pastures because it tasted like those onions.
Yep! Yard onions!
Old 01-27-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
I think if you used fresh diced fruit, fruit vomit would actually be tolerable [though instead of pie filling, blend well lemon curd, mascarpone and a small amount of honey if you want it sweeter might be interesting]
We found it was best not to encourage her. She once marinated a ham in wine and spices, but forgot to remove the plastic wrapping. For her, "interesting" was in direct conflict with "tolerable".

As mentioned, she was a very dear woman and I miss her. Mostly.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-27-2020, 07:47 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:

I do historic cooking as a hobby, and one has to take into account that he is frequently working from a reciept book written in a time long before current, and the recipes are calculated for the local time and taste, so something that someone in 1790 finds edible may vary wildly from today. [a friend commented that some recipe sounded absolutely horrible, from a recipe from Apicius, so in return I posted the list of ingredients to worchestershire sauce, which if you look at it, and don't realize what it is sounds absolutely horrid.] The wild onions might be perfectly edible, I would have to see the recipe and make a value call on it. Was it 'Savory Onion Pie'? I can see why most people would not like it, if one is expecting something more like shepherds pie, or beef pot pie and instead they get potatoes, onions, eggs and a different range of seasonings other than salt, pepper and parsley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I was living in San Jose when the movie came out and one of the local chefs offered a prix fixe dinner that duplicated the feast except...
SPOILER:
...he substituted pastry heads on the quail.
I would have gone for that. Though I refuse to do turtle soup, I would go with the veal based mock turtle soup.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:33 PM

To answer the OP, in the realm of worst purposefully cooked recipe, I have to go to Celtling's paternal Grandfather. The first time I was invited to eat at his house, he proudly pulled out this jello mold he had done. It was straight out of some 1950's magazine, I'm sure. Orange jello, carrots, bean sprouts, and minced red onions all through it. He hadn't cooked, or in any way prepped the vegetables except by cutting them into smaller pieces. The onions were raw and very strong; the carrots weren't even peeled.

Next he served an extremely rare lamb roast, which bled all over the table when he sliced it. And this was not the watery, slightly red stuff that normally comes out of meat, either. It was deeply red and viscous.

I'm not a fan of lamb or jello in the best of circumstances. In fact, I wondered if he had a) misread an e-mail stating what not to make, and made it thinking these were my favorites, or b) purposefully made a meal I would find inedible. (He was certainly quite capable of the second.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
. . . when I was posted to embassy Bamako. Mutton is the meat of choice there, but again, it's very fatty.
. . .
You know, it's the strangest thing, but I never connected sheep with Africa in any form until you posted this. I had to go look it up and be sure you were speaking of Mali. And then, of course, I realized that there must be sheep there, but for some odd reason I had never pictured that. Goats, cattle, antelope of all sorts, but never sheep. So weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleJesus View Post
Growing up in VA moms would occasionally get a hankering for some of that old school soul food.

At about the age of 7 when I smelled chitterlings being cleaned for the first time I puked, ran out of the house and didn't return until the smell had gone away. It goes without saying that the experience left an impression. A little more than 30 years later I find myself sitting in a restaurant in Taiwan where our hosts wanted us to sample a wide variety of local cuisine and, you guessed it, some type of pig intestines was on the menu. I'm pretty sure I insulted our host when I passed on the dish but I was just happy that I didn't start dry heaving at the table.

Years later when I was a teenager I went to see what was for dinner and there floating in a pot of almost boiling water were 2 nasty looking severed feet. The older folks couldn't wait to tear into those pig's feet but how anyone can eat that shit is beyond my ability to understand.
Chitterlings are, of course, thoroughly disgusting when they aren't cleaned correctly. But it always makes me laugh to hear Yankees brag that they would never stoop to eat some. Take another bite of that sausage, twit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
I take it all back.
I just saw Paris make Lasagna:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayImIgdgLEI
I could only bear to watch a few minutes of that, so I skipped around a bit. What an absolute idiot she is! It terrifies me to think there might be young girls looking up to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
You cannot put warm things in the fridge, and a big pot takes forever to cool down. In summer you have a big problem.
. . .
When I'm making a big pot of soup or stew, I always use frozen peas or green beans. But I don't put them in while I'm heating the rest, because then the green vegs will get overcooked when it's re-heated for eating. So I set out the meal-sized containers I'm going to freeze it in, and put the frozen veg in first. Then ladle the soup/stew over top of it.

This brings the temp down very quickly, and I can stack them in the freezer right away. I do still sort of push other foods away so they are not touching though. I want good air circulation around the new food until it is hard frozen. Then it can be tetris-ed in more compactly.

Quote:
. . . [a friend commented that some recipe sounded absolutely horrible, from a recipe from Apicius, so in return I posted the list of ingredients to worchestershire sauce, which if you look at it, and don't realize what it is sounds absolutely horrid.]
. . .
In all fairness, I got a copy of Apicius for Christmas this year, and it's hard to find a recipe in there that doesn't contain fish sauce. So if you don't like that, you won't like Roman cooking, I guess. I made the mistake of watching a video about the making of Worcestershire. It's not pretty.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:36 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
T
In all fairness, I got a copy of Apicius for Christmas this year, and it's hard to find a recipe in there that doesn't contain fish sauce. So if you don't like that, you won't like Roman cooking, I guess. I made the mistake of watching a video about the making of Worcestershire. It's not pretty.
Blatantly, garum mostly = nuc mom = anchovy essence though I tend to avoid nuc mom as I can not be absolutely certain the manufacturers have not spiked it with bivalves. I just chuck in either worchestershire sauce or very strangely considered, vegemite. It is an umami booster, so you could use most any umami booster including MSG in a pinch.

To be honest, most cultures have some food you can point at with disgust, that an equivalent could be found in their own culture. Almost any recipe can sound nasty if you are just listing ingredients and you do not specify quantities. One can put a single anchovy into a pot of spaghetti sauce and get an umami boost without it tasting like rotting fish by the sea shore, but you put a handful on a pizza and blargh for most people.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To be honest, most cultures have some food you can point at with disgust, that an equivalent could be found in their own culture.
I have a hypothesis that every culture has something absolutely disgusting you have to eat to prove you belong in that culture, or something. Blood pudding, haggis, natto, balut... the list goes on and on.

Mine is lutefisk.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I could only bear to watch a few minutes of that, so I skipped around a bit. What an absolute idiot she is! It terrifies me to think there might be young girls looking up to her.
We could probably argue about this all day, but I'm pretty sure she knows damned well what she's doing. It's all (or mostly) an act. I found it hilarious, myself.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Worst thing I ever saw cooked was when someone in my Boy Scout Troop tried to make a pizza over a campfire.

Not in a reflector over at the fire, mind you, but actually trying to cook the pizza directly over an open flame.

This did not end well.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
One can put a single anchovy into a pot of spaghetti sauce and get an umami boost without it tasting like rotting fish by the sea shore, but you put a handful on a pizza and blargh for most people.
Domino's offered anchovy pizza for a while; a co-worker ordered it, and I took advantage of the opportunity and loved it! I could understand why a lot of people wouldn't like it, however.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Worst thing I ever saw cooked was when someone in my Boy Scout Troop tried to make a pizza over a campfire.

Not in a reflector over at the fire, mind you, but actually trying to cook the pizza directly over an open flame.

This did not end well.
It wasn't from a Chef Boy-ar-Dee kit, was it? Those were vile, and yet another co-worker remembered when those came out, and his mother decided to make it. Not only would none of them eat it, they lived on a farm and their chickens and pigs wouldn't touch it either.

Conversely, when I was a kid, my grandmother made mincemeat pie and it looked and smelled delicious after she cut out a slice for herself, and my parents tried to talk me out of eating some, because they knew what was really in it. Grandma gave me a slice anyway, and I really liked it. I mean, what was the big deal? It was made from raisins, which I liked. AFAIK, that's the only time I've ever had it.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:14 PM

One time I tried to make a sort of egg aspic with a soft-boiled egg plunked down in the middle of a hollowed-out bundt red jello thing, and then gingerly dunked the scooped-out jello back on top of the egg so that it remained intact and was covered and more or less in the Centre of the Earth and pooped it into the microwave.
Which made a complete, fucking mess.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

This is going to be an odd response, but it's ham with cherry sauce.

I was in grade school, maybe fifth or sixth? The family was on a road trip vacation. We didn't often eat in restaurants, but this time we did, and I got ham. I like ham, and I like cherries. But something was wrong with the sauce, it tasted awful! I couldn't eat it and my dad thought I was being picky. Finally I got him to taste it and in surprise he blurted out "It IS bad!" I was not made to finish it. I don't remember why it was gross, it just was.

To this day I do not like dishes that combine fruit and meat. No Hawaiian pizza for me!
Old 01-28-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
. . . and pooped it into the microwave.
I have no idea what you meant to say here, but I certainly believe it was messy. ROFL!

Last edited by TruCelt; 01-28-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
One time I tried to make a sort of egg aspic with a soft-boiled egg plunked down in the middle of a hollowed-out bundt red jello thing, and then gingerly dunked the scooped-out jello back on top of the egg so that it remained intact and was covered and more or less in the Centre of the Earth and pooped it into the microwave.
Pooped it into the microwave? Let's not go there.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
This is going to be an odd response, but it's ham with cherry sauce.

I was in grade school, maybe fifth or sixth? The family was on a road trip vacation. We didn't often eat in restaurants, but this time we did, and I got ham. I like ham, and I like cherries. But something was wrong with the sauce, it tasted awful! I couldn't eat it and my dad thought I was being picky. Finally I got him to taste it and in surprise he blurted out "It IS bad!" I was not made to finish it. I don't remember why it was gross, it just was.

To this day I do not like dishes that combine fruit and meat. No Hawaiian pizza for me!
Chicken is surprisingly good with apricots and/or plums. It's actually a staple of some north African and Middle Eastern cooking.

My old work cafeteria had salmon one time, and there was definitely something odd about it . It had some kind of sauce that I couldn't identify, so my boss, who was sitting with me, asked to taste it and said it was wing sauce. No, those don't go together either.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I take it all back.
I just saw Paris make Lasagna:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayImIgdgLEI
I suppose if you like salty lasagna...
She over salts it, then later adds "Himalayan pink salt" (which is basically over priced contaminated salt for gullible people).
Old 01-28-2020, 10:37 PM

Ugh.
Those two letters are right next to each other on the keyboard.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

This recipe is from my favorite Youtube cooking channel. It's deliberately unappetizing. You'll understand why when you watch it.
https://youtu.be/pXus8Zeou7I

Last edited by davidm; 01-28-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
This recipe is from my favorite Youtube cooking channel. It's deliberately unappetizing and you'll understand why when you watch it.
https://youtu.be/pXus8Zeou7I
I love Emmy! Some of the comments are a hoot.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
...she had several pet cats, but occasionally she would eat one.
Sounds like the first line of a Stephen King book.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes! I'm addicted to her channel.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Haitian dirt cookies.

https://youtu.be/J76fun8m5no
Old 01-29-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I made my kids a tagine with lamb, yams, and prunes. The prunes sort of melt in the dish, making them unrecognizable, but tasty. Everyone loved the dish. My daughter asked how it was made and I explained.

When my son heard there were prunes in it, he freaked out. He'd never knowingly eaten one, all he knew was they made you poop. To this day, he'll ask if there are prunes in any food I make for him.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I made my kids a tagine with lamb, yams, and prunes. The prunes sort of melt in the dish, making them unrecognizable, but tasty. Everyone loved the dish. My daughter asked how it was made and I explained.

When my son heard there were prunes in it, he freaked out. He'd never knowingly eaten one, all he knew was they made you poop. To this day, he'll ask if there are prunes in any food I make for him.
Haha. Just call them "plums." Fruit and meat are a classic combo for me, especially when eating game. But pork & apples, turkey & cranberry, prosciutto with melon, al pastor tacos with pineapple, etc. All classic combos for me.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Haha. Just call them "plums." Fruit and meat are a classic combo for me, especially when eating game. But pork & apples, turkey & cranberry, prosciutto with melon, al pastor tacos with pineapple, etc. All classic combos for me.
Pork shoulder roasted on a big bed of apples, onions, and raisins is one of my favorite things in the whole world.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

The Cornish Pasty Co. here has the "Porky," minced pork with slices of apple, potato, and onion, and sage.

Last edited by DesertDog; 01-29-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Pork shoulder roasted on a big bed of apples, onions, and raisins is one of my favorite things in the whole world.
Yum. I've never had it with raisins, but that sounds great. (Raisins do make sense, though. You see them in steak sauces like A1 and Heinz 57. I would imagine prunes would work just as well.) When I make barbecue sauce for my pulled pork, I will often use apples in it (either frozen concentrate, apple juice, apple sauce, or grated apples -- whatever I've got.) I'm going to have to think now of adding raisins to that mix. I don't know why I haven't thought of it before, given raisins prevalence in meat-accenting sauces.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Emmy's sly double entendrees are the best part of her act.

"Lube the shaft."

"Keep it nice and tight."
Old 01-31-2020, 01:50 PM

Still don't see a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Yep. It was chicken.
Are you convinced that food goes bad instantly once cooked? Because it doesn't. As long as the pot was left covered once the heat was removed, it's basically sterile.

I've done this for over a half century, never gotten sick. People in this country are wayyyy too worried about food poisoning at home: as others have written here, it's more restaurants you have to worry about.

I also like to keep ground beef in the fridge for a few days until it develops some flavor. I HAVE thrown it out when it gets too high, and have never gotten sick from it. Trust your nose.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:51 PM

Didn't exactly see it cooked, but I went to a restaurant at the Makati Fish Market in Manila, Phillippines where you basically shopped for your fish, paid for it and took it too your table, and took the waiter how you'd like it cooked. I did not and do not lie fish, so I asked if they had any non-fish meals on the menu. "Chicken" was the response and I promptly ordered that.

I will attest to my dying day that the chicken they used was the loser of last nights cockfights, because it was all muscle and tissue and pitifully little bits of meat. Probably got about 2-3 mouthfuls of the worst chicken I've ever had, and promptly ordered a cheeseburger from room service once I got back to the hotel.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:54 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phs3 View Post
A People in this country are wayyyy too worried about food poisoning at home: .
Went camping at Pennsic one war in about 97 or so. We had bought a flat of 36 eggs, to make breakfast the next couple days, there were about 15 people camping and not all of them wanted omelettes. Our normal practice was to set them on top of the ice chest under the table under the mess fly, in the shade. Down by the lake, it was easily 10 to 15 degrees cooler than up on the flats so as the eggs were still in their shell, would have been safe for at least 3 or 4 days. One pair of campers threw a shit fit, saying we were trying to poison them *sigh* they would have really thrown a shit fit if they saw eggs on our back deck still unwashed [unfertilized, there was no danger of impromptu balut]
Old 01-31-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Went camping at Pennsic one war in about 97 or so. We had bought a flat of 36 eggs, to make breakfast the next couple days, there were about 15 people camping and not all of them wanted omelettes. Our normal practice was to set them on top of the ice chest under the table under the mess fly, in the shade. Down by the lake, it was easily 10 to 15 degrees cooler than up on the flats so as the eggs were still in their shell, would have been safe for at least 3 or 4 days. One pair of campers threw a shit fit, saying we were trying to poison them *sigh* they would have really thrown a shit fit if they saw eggs on our back deck still unwashed [unfertilized, there was no danger of impromptu balut]
When I was in college, I spent a week canoeing in the Boundary Waters after a semester from hell, and we took unrefrigerated eggs into the forest with us, to be cooked and eaten on the first morning out.

YouTuber Phyllis Stokes has died. Here's the announcement from her son. Honestly, I wasn't surprised because she had been battling cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJkP-eSyHbA

She was a true Southern lady who mostly used the channel to talk about her life, including her beloved husband, "Mr. Bucky" who died suddenly last summer, and of course cooking for them, and the meals usually included a glass of sweet tea. Most of her meals were simple and looked appetizing, but this really didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5JM-aXAo4o&t=48s

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 01-31-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:18 PM

I also found out last night that some Golden Corral restaurants are going to offer beer and wine.

Alcohol and nasty food - what could go wrong there?
Old 01-31-2020, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
impromptu balut
I'd see that jam band.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Emmy's sly double entendrees are the best part of her act.

"Lube the shaft."

"Keep it nice and tight."
Unless I'm totally oblivious, she only does that rarely. I think I've only seen her do it once or twice.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Nothing to compare with eating bats or anything, but my dear departed mother in law was a delightful person but not to be trusted anywhere near a kitchen.

Unfortunate culinary experiences at her table are too numerous to mention, and too likely to trigger PSTD, but early in my relationship with the Lovely and Talented Mrs. Shodan I was served a dish that my MIL dreamed up herself. Canned fruit cocktail, lemon pie filling, mixed thoroughly and served on a bed of iceberg lettuce vinaigrette. I was anxious not to offend, so I ate it without comment.

In the car on the way home I asked my then-girlfriend-now-wife what it was called. It had no name, so we christened it Fruit Vomit and so it was referred to between us. I loved my MIL, but Escoffier had nothing to fear from her.

My daughter, when she was four or five, made Rice Krispie bars for us, except she used Fruity Pebbles instead of Rice Krispies and added cinnamon hearts. I managed to eat one and after I managed to pry my jaws apart, which were nearly fused together, to thank her warmly for the effort, before I was sent into diabetic coma from the massive sugar overdose. After she left, I asked my wife what to do - "I can't eat those things!" My wife said, "Take them to work. Those people will eat anything." Sure enough - twenty minutes after I put them on the printer table, they were gone. Although I don't recall anyone asking me to bring anything to any pot lucks for some time afterwards.

Regards,
Shodan
oh wow, i love cereal treats ..... i like crushed froot loops or fruity pebbles but yeah id leave out the candy hearts tho lol you can buy froot loop and fruity pebble "milk and cereal " like you buy granola bars ... but they use an odd milk-like cream substance ..

Last edited by nightshadea; 02-01-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:04 AM

When I was in the army, we once took a whole chicken, drenched in on orange Fanta, wrapped it in tin foil, dug a hole in the ground, buried it, built a bonfire over it, let it burn a few hours, then put out the fire and dug up the chicken. It was... interesting.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Unless I'm totally oblivious, she only does that rarely. I think I've only seen her do it once or twice.
That's the beauty of it! She does it so rarely that when she does, it's kind of a big deal. It's particularly fun watching the comments when it happens.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
One pair of campers threw a shit fit, saying we were trying to poison them *sigh* they would have really thrown a shit fit if they saw eggs on our back deck still unwashed [unfertilized, there was no danger of impromptu balut]
Had they been my campmates they would have been instantly invited to rustle up their own damn breakfast. Eggs and cheese are camping staples because they'll withstand a reasonable amount of abuse without going bad.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:15 PM

That's an interesting perspective. I have NEVER had real eggs on a camping trip, because they are physically fragile. I wouldn't worry about an intact egg going bad in a few days, but I would worry enough about it staying intact that I wouldn't pack it to begin with.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:57 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Had they been my campmates they would have been instantly invited to rustle up their own damn breakfast. Eggs and cheese are camping staples because they'll withstand a reasonable amount of abuse without going bad.
Quote:
That's an interesting perspective. I have NEVER had real eggs on a camping trip, because they are physically fragile. I wouldn't worry about an intact egg going bad in a few days, but I would worry enough about it staying intact that I wouldn't pack it to begin with.
Pennsic is in a campground in western PA, no hiking to get anywhere =) We used to actually take a propane powered chest freezer, when you cook for up to 60 people, it makes it easier to menu plan if you don't have to sop every day, and can keep ice on hand =)

They were seriously annoying people, young [I think they were both in the 18-20 range] and uber entitled - she was into some go barefoot everywhere no matter what thing, and whinged about it [I love going barefoot, but I accept that one needs footwear going into public places, and anywhere one might step on glass or other detritus, and I certainly don't whine about having to wear shoes!] And it turns out that they were friends with a pedophile and actually brought him into our camp more than once, and were trying to get he and they invited into being more permanent residents [we had an excellently comfortable and well fed camp - we were all medieval cooks from the Cooks List from Ansteorra from basically the beginning of the list just barely post usenet] Since our numbers included kids ranging from 1 year old to 18, that would have been *bad*.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Egg cartons, especially the cardboard ones, are surprisingly tough. Unless you drop them, the eggs should stay intact. Styrofoam, much less so.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:48 PM

I guess all my camping experience has involved shoving all the food into backpacks and hiking somewhere. Eggs aren't generally included.