Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-23-2020, 10:44 AM
Two Many Cats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,313

Favorite No Fuss Dish for the Exhausted


Here's something I came up with for those days when I can't be bothered to cook:

Boil a sweet potato to desired softness, skin and all.

Cut in half lengthwise.

Salt to taste.

Add layer of cottage cheese.

Add generous teaspoon (or more) of capers, widely distributed over mound of cottage cheese.

Enjoy!


For me, cottage cheese is a savory dish, not sweet. The capers add a delicious salty burst as you eat. Much like caviar, but not expensive, and no fishy aftertaste.

Y'know, caviar would probably taste good on this in place of capers if you are so inclined.

I also tried leftover canned peas with a lemon juice kick, but capers are better. I needed to use up the peas though, and I used them straight out of the fridge with no reheating.

Any other ideas? Other easy dishes?
  #2  
Old 01-23-2020, 10:52 AM
Jet Jaguar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Monster Island
Posts: 1,585
Something my wife and I invented when we wanted a fairly quick, easy meal is something we call "soup on rice", which is exactly what it sounds like. Make some rice in a rice cooker, heat up a can of soup, pour the soup on the rice.
  #3  
Old 01-23-2020, 10:57 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 28,219
Pouch of rice takes 90 seconds in the microwave.

Pouch of Tasty Bites Indian food takes 60 seconds.

BAM! I'm eating curry.
  #4  
Old 01-23-2020, 11:36 AM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 59,313
Add 1/2 can of water to a can of soup (Progresso or Chunky work really well). Heat to boiling. Add a 4 serving envelope of instant mashed potato flakes. Stir and eat.

It's called "sludge," it comes in endless varieties, it's easy to make, cheap, filling, and it tastes really good.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 01-23-2020 at 11:37 AM.
  #5  
Old 01-23-2020, 11:48 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 20,334
This is my ultimate exhausted go-to:

While toasting a pita (whole), make a quick plain 3 egg omelette, smear some mayo on the hot pita, throw on a few slices of ham, some arugula or greens, cover with hot omelette, sliced tomatoes on top, salt/pepper. Shove in maw and have plenty of napkins on hand because it's going to get ugly.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #6  
Old 01-23-2020, 11:51 AM
janis_and_c0's Avatar
janis_and_c0 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 2,478
Grab a large flour tortilla, smear with spaghetti sauce and add a handful of shredded cheese, fold in half and fry... ghetto calzones.
__________________
Viri feminaeque, meum admonitum capite, vestras bracas detrahite et in gelu labimini.
  #7  
Old 01-23-2020, 12:13 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus is online now
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 52,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar View Post
Something my wife and I invented when we wanted a fairly quick, easy meal is something we call "soup on rice", which is exactly what it sounds like. Make some rice in a rice cooker, heat up a can of soup, pour the soup on the rice.
Yep. Except I'll use pouched rice. Then dump on a can of chunky soup or Dinty Moore beef stew and call it good.
  #8  
Old 01-23-2020, 12:17 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 43,399
Breakfast burrito. Fry up bacon, scramble some eggs with cream cheese, heat a flour tort in the bacon pan and load it up. Hot sauce optional.

Cook up a batch of macaroni in one pot. Heat up a can of chili in a second pot. Mix them both togeddah and add grated cheddar.

Last edited by Chefguy; 01-23-2020 at 12:18 PM.
  #9  
Old 01-23-2020, 12:21 PM
madsircool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,026
Put some Chilorio (https://www.amazon.com/Chilorio-Chat.../dp/B0084O8UYM) and refried beans in a pyrex bowl and microwave for a minute or two. Throw it on the tortilla of your choice and top with the ingredients of your choice.
  #10  
Old 01-23-2020, 12:26 PM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,868
Get an instant pot (or a crock pot, for that matter). Set it up the day before and leave it in the fridge. When you get home from work (or, before you leave if it's a crock pot), turn it on and you'll be eating soon after.

My 'don't want to cook' go to lately has been pasta with meat sauce, in the instant pot. You do have to brown the meat first, but beyond that, everything goes in at once, including the raw noodles.
Also, some quick broccoli and noodles. I'll do the broccoli in the instant pot because it's so easy. After it's done, I mix it together, pour on some olive oil, garlic salt and red pepper flakes.

Sure, they're both a bit more work than a pizza, but they're both good and make good leftovers for a few days.
  #11  
Old 01-23-2020, 12:27 PM
Treppenwitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,248
Pizza toasts.

Under the grill, start toasting 2 or 3 thick slices of bread. While they are doing, chop up an onion, add a little olive oil and stir, stick on a microwaveable plate and microwave until soft (stirring a couple of times). Add to the onions: tomato puree, capers if you have them, chopped olives if you have them (etc - you get the idea). Mix.

When the toast is done on both sides, spread the mix out on the toast, add anchovy paste, cover with slices of cheese and stick back under the grill. When the cheese is melted, you're done.

Trep Jr does a version which omits the anchovy paste - but then, he has a lot to learn.

Note: you can do this with a pop-up toaster and a microwave. You have to prep the toast slowly in small bursts in order to dry the bread out as well as toast it - this is because you melt the cheese in the microwave, and you need very dry toast for that, otherwise everything will turn to mush.

j
  #12  
Old 01-23-2020, 12:32 PM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 16,817
Bachelor stew:

Fry up some ground beef. Then pour a can of tomato soup along with whatever veggies you have in the fridge or pantry.
  #13  
Old 01-23-2020, 01:00 PM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
Pizza toasts.

Under the grill, start toasting 2 or 3 thick slices of bread. While they are doing, chop up an onion, add a little olive oil and stir, stick on a microwaveable plate and microwave until soft (stirring a couple of times). Add to the onions: tomato puree, capers if you have them, chopped olives if you have them (etc - you get the idea). Mix.

When the toast is done on both sides, spread the mix out on the toast, add anchovy paste, cover with slices of cheese and stick back under the grill. When the cheese is melted, you're done.

Trep Jr does a version which omits the anchovy paste - but then, he has a lot to learn.

Note: you can do this with a pop-up toaster and a microwave. You have to prep the toast slowly in small bursts in order to dry the bread out as well as toast it - this is because you melt the cheese in the microwave, and you need very dry toast for that, otherwise everything will turn to mush.

j
I suppose mine would be the poor man's version of that. Make some toast, just like you normally do. Put some pizza sauce and cheese on it. Put it under the broiler for a few minutes and it's done.
  #14  
Old 01-23-2020, 01:01 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,813
Boil pasta, mix with jarred pesto and pre-grated parmesan cheese.
  #15  
Old 01-23-2020, 04:06 PM
needscoffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,369
Grilled cheese/tomato soup

French toast

Rice dinner: in rice cooker, cook rice together with a few cups of kimchee and water. When done, stir in a few cans of rinsed canned black beans. Add whatever sauce is handy: Indian simmer sauce or Asian sauce such as Pad Thai sauce or teriyaki sauce or whatever you have around. Voila.
  #16  
Old 01-23-2020, 04:57 PM
Tarataratara is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 78
Runny egg on:
toast
pasta with butter, black pepper, and red pepper flakes
baked potato
  #17  
Old 01-23-2020, 05:17 PM
teela brown is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Almost Silicon Valley
Posts: 9,677
Peanut butter on toast with sliced bananas arranged on top.
  #18  
Old 01-23-2020, 05:24 PM
MacSpon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,092
1 can salmon.
1 can baked beans.
Mix together and heat. Done.
  #19  
Old 01-23-2020, 05:25 PM
Icarus's Avatar
Icarus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In front of my PC, y tu?
Posts: 5,516
All y'all have a funny idea of no fuss and exhausted. Some of these sound like they take about 40 minutes, and multiple steps (boil, toast, slice, melt, etc.). Just saying'.
__________________
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
- C. Darwin
  #20  
Old 01-23-2020, 06:03 PM
kayT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,362
I agree, Icarus. The Soup on Rice sounds more like it, and I am going to have to try the mashed potato flakes in soup. But if I'm beat, I'm not cooking pasta.
  #21  
Old 01-23-2020, 06:15 PM
Shoeless's Avatar
Shoeless is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Sunflower State
Posts: 7,104
A box of Zatarain's red beans & rice or black beans & rice. While that's cooking, throw a bag of frozen veggies in the microwave.
__________________
"We can all sink or we all float
'Cuz we're all in the same big boat"

- The Police, "One World"
  #22  
Old 01-23-2020, 06:16 PM
Hari Seldon is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Trantor
Posts: 13,551
English muffin half, slice of cheese, slice of tomato, a couple anchovies, toast in toaster over 5 minutes.
  #23  
Old 01-23-2020, 06:21 PM
Alpha Twit's Avatar
Alpha Twit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere south of normal
Posts: 2,592
Pancakes and sunny side up eggs, maybe a slice of fried ham is I have it.

Cheapo pack of instant ramen plus whatever canned veggies I have on hand. Add a scoop of peanut butter, some chili-garlic sauce and some pickled ginger to turn it into a something a little more.....something or other.

Nuke a sweet potato - smash the thing and add butter, salt and pepper - done.

other relevant thread
__________________
There's plenty few problems in this life that can't be helped by a good day's work, a good night's sleep and a few swift kicks in the right asses.
  #24  
Old 01-23-2020, 07:04 PM
TheCuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 274
I do boxed Mac & Cheese. Throw in some frozen peas or corn while it's cooking. Also fry up some hot dogs; then slice 'em and mix in with the mac & cheese and vegetables.
  #25  
Old 01-23-2020, 07:08 PM
Tarataratara is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Also, some quick broccoli and noodles. I'll do the broccoli in the instant pot because it's so easy. After it's done, I mix it together, pour on some olive oil, garlic salt and red pepper flakes.
I make something similar, cooking the broccoli and noodles in the same pot on the stovetop. Boil salted water, add noodles, when the noodles have a few minutes left to cook, add the broccoli, finish cooking, then drain it all together. Add butter, pepper, red pepper flakes, parmesan, etc.
  #26  
Old 01-23-2020, 07:09 PM
terentii's Avatar
terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 18,823
One can chicked noodle soup and an equal amount of water. Heat on stove. Stir in a gob of butter, some some sour cream, and a heaping spoonful of paprika. Crush a handful of salted crackers and add to hot soup, Use a small pan to spare the effort of tranferring soup to a bowl. Enjoy with a glass of milk.
__________________
"Makes you wonder why we bother, eh, Fawlty?"
"Didn't know you did, Major."
  #27  
Old 01-23-2020, 07:45 PM
pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 48,957
Grilled ham & cheese is probably my go-to 5 minutes or so meal. Throw some mustard & pickle slices on it and you have some bastard child of a Cubano going there.
  #28  
Old 01-23-2020, 09:13 PM
Eva Luna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chicago-ish, IL
Posts: 10,890
We always have pita in the freezer and a jar of ajvar in the fridge and/or pantry. Spread pita with ajvar, top with whatever cheese we have lying around in the fridge, and stick in the toaster oven for 8 - 10 minutes. Meanwhile, fry up a crispy egg in olive oil. Slide the crispy egg onto the cheesy pita and sprinkle with smoked paprika and/or Penzey's Fox Point Seasoning.
  #29  
Old 01-23-2020, 09:19 PM
romansperson's Avatar
romansperson is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
All y'all have a funny idea of no fuss and exhausted. Some of these sound like they take about 40 minutes, and multiple steps (boil, toast, slice, melt, etc.). Just saying'.
My funny idea is to make stuff on the weekends (or whenever I have time) and put it in the fridge or freezer so when I don't feel like cooking or don't have time all I need to do is chuck it in the microwave or oven. I can't make things any easier than that.
  #30  
Old 01-23-2020, 10:17 PM
actualliberalnotoneofthose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Yep. Except I'll use pouched rice. Then dump on a can of chunky soup or Dinty Moore beef stew and call it good.
I do the recipe on the Dinty Moore soup can. I pour it over egg noodles. 1 of the largest size Dinty Moore cans poured over 8 oz egg noodles will get me 1 easy meal.
  #31  
Old 01-24-2020, 01:09 AM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 11,759
Pull out a lasagna pan. Now open the freezer and pull out all the odds and ends of bagged veg that are just hanging out int here. The last seven peas in the bag you forgot in the bottom of the drawer, that bit of onion you couldn't quite use up, the 1/2 cup of mixedpeppers that would have been just too much.

Now open the cheese/lunchmeat drawer. Get the last two slices of turkey and that half-a-slice of ham you didn't need. And the end of pepperoni from the back there. Ooh! And this bit of cheddar. Score!

Light olive oil in the bottom of the pan, and a quick rinse for all the veg, then toss it all into the the oven on 400F.

Now scramble some eggs with basil and a little extra cream and pour them over top. Turn the whole thing down to 325 and go take a nice hot shower while it bakes.

Call it fritatta and people will think you're a genius.
  #32  
Old 01-24-2020, 01:36 AM
Wallaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne, Far South
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Bachelor stew:

Fry up some ground beef. Then pour a can of tomato soup along with whatever veggies you have in the fridge or pantry.
If you cook some pasta at the same time and then pour the stew over it, you have Bachelor Bolognaise.
  #33  
Old 01-24-2020, 01:40 AM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,613
Boil some ravioli with the filling of your choice. Put it in a bowl with a tablespoon of butter. Sprinkle in some Kraft parmesan and toss until the butter is melted and the cheese is mixed in. Serve with bread & butter.
  #34  
Old 01-24-2020, 02:26 AM
Saturn Dreams is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
I agree, Icarus. The Soup on Rice sounds more like it, and I am going to have to try the mashed potato flakes in soup. But if I'm beat, I'm not cooking pasta.
Cooking pasta is quick and easy if you start with the minimum amount of cold water. Hereís a quick and easy recipe for lemon garlic farfalle.

Put farfalle (or any short past you happen to have) into a saucepan and add enough cold water to cover. Salt the water generously when it begins to roll then add broccoli florets about a minute before the pasta is al dente. Drain the water then add fresh lemon juice, evoo, freshly grated parmesan and chopped roasted garlic to your liking. Toss and garnish with lemon zest and more cheese. Five minutes to prep and 10 minutes to cook.

If you donít have roasted garlic on hand, you can use garlic powder thatís been hydrated in a little bit of water then heated in evoo or butter. Add some cut up chicken breast if you want protein.
  #35  
Old 01-24-2020, 04:00 AM
Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 15,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
All y'all have a funny idea of no fuss and exhausted. Some of these sound like they take about 40 minutes, and multiple steps (boil, toast, slice, melt, etc.). Just saying'.
No kidding. Half the posts here, even the OP, sound like gourmet vast banquets, at least compared to MY notion of no-fuss dish for the exhausted (in particular, when said exhausted is ME).

Certain canned foods are edible (for some minimal value of "edible") straight out of the can. Just bite the can open and eat. THAT's my no-fuss dish when I'M exhausted. Or, just plain peanut butter sandwich. If I'm even just a little bit peppier, maybe I'll take the trouble to add a layer of blackberry jelly too.

Or just a few handfuls of Planter's dry roasted peanuts.

Or even (getting into health foods here, which may not count), some baby carrots to munch on.

Some funny ideas of "no-fuss" in this thread, from this hopeless bohemian bachelor's point of view. "No-fuss" should mean NO FUSS.

So there.
  #36  
Old 01-24-2020, 05:34 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,801
In the front half of 1982, I shared a house in Idaho Falls with two other sailors. At the end of a typical 14-hour day, we'd throw together a couple of cups of Minute Rice, top it with a large can of Campbell's Chunky soup, and split it three ways.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-24-2020 at 05:37 AM.
  #37  
Old 01-24-2020, 06:17 AM
Two Many Cats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
No kidding. Half the posts here, even the OP, sound like gourmet vast banquets, at least compared to MY notion of no-fuss dish for the exhausted (in particular, when said exhausted is ME).

Certain canned foods are edible (for some minimal value of "edible") straight out of the can. Just bite the can open and eat. THAT's my no-fuss dish when I'M exhausted. Or, just plain peanut butter sandwich. If I'm even just a little bit peppier, maybe I'll take the trouble to add a layer of blackberry jelly too.
"Even the OP" here.

Boiling a potato, regular or sweet, is the laziest stovetop cooking you can get. It's water to cover, and wait as it cooks. You don't even have to fuss with a timer as with boiling eggs. Just jab for doneness with a fork and lift it out of the pot with the same fork.
Cut the potato open and dump cottage cheese on it. Sprinkle with capers. Tah-dah.

I guarantee that you will extend less effort on this than smearing sticky uncooperative gobs of peanut butter on bread, and then balancing slippery blackberry jelly on a knife edge from jar to sandwich.

Although I do agree with you that some of the dishes posted here do seem...well, fussy.

But the one for Sludge seems like genius! Definitely trying that one. Sludge may win the thread if it tastes like the heart stopping trip to heaven it sounds like.
  #38  
Old 01-24-2020, 06:50 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 17,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Dreams View Post
Cooking pasta is quick and easy if you start with the minimum amount of cold water. Hereís a quick and easy recipe for lemon garlic farfalle.

Put farfalle (or any short past you happen to have) into a saucepan and add enough cold water to cover. Salt the water generously when it begins to roll then add broccoli florets about a minute before the pasta is al dente. Drain the water then add fresh lemon juice, evoo, freshly grated parmesan and chopped roasted garlic to your liking. Toss and garnish with lemon zest and more cheese. Five minutes to prep and 10 minutes to cook.

If you donít have roasted garlic on hand, you can use garlic powder thatís been hydrated in a little bit of water then heated in evoo or butter. Add some cut up chicken breast if you want protein.
Yeah, this "start with boiling four quarts of water" for pasta is NOT NECESSARY. The upshot-- Pasta Liberation!
Quote:
It turns out that not only do you not need a large volume of water to cook pasta, but in fact, the water does not even have to be boiling.

Source
How 'bout that?

The linked article has the whole schmientific explanation if you're interested.
  #39  
Old 01-24-2020, 08:14 AM
pulykamell is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 48,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Yeah, this "start with boiling four quarts of water" for pasta is NOT NECESSARY. The upshot-- Pasta Liberation!How 'bout that?

The linked article has the whole schmientific explanation if you're interested.
And the bonus is you have extra starchy water (due to the lesser volume the pasta is cooked in), which helps bring together and make a velvety sauce (especially important if you're making something like cacio e pepe.)
  #40  
Old 01-24-2020, 08:29 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 20,334
mmmmm.... cacio e pepe.....
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #41  
Old 01-24-2020, 10:16 AM
TRC4941's Avatar
TRC4941 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NE Minnesota
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
"Even the OP" here.

Boiling a potato, regular or sweet, is the laziest stovetop cooking you can get. It's water to cover, and wait as it cooks. You don't even have to fuss with a timer as with boiling eggs. Just jab for doneness with a fork and lift it out of the pot with the same fork.
Cut the potato open and dump cottage cheese on it. Sprinkle with capers. Tah-dah.

I guarantee that you will extend less effort on this than smearing sticky uncooperative gobs of peanut butter on bread, and then balancing slippery blackberry jelly on a knife edge from jar to sandwich.

Although I do agree with you that some of the dishes posted here do seem...well, fussy.

But the one for Sludge seems like genius! Definitely trying that one. Sludge may win the thread if it tastes like the heart stopping trip to heaven it sounds like.
Skip the boiling and just poke the potato a few times with a fork and put it in the microwave for 7 minutes instead!

If I'm hungry and worn out or for some reason it's late and past my usual dinnertime, my go-to meal is cereal and toast.
  #42  
Old 01-24-2020, 11:15 AM
Hampshire is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 11,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
All y'all have a funny idea of no fuss and exhausted. Some of these sound like they take about 40 minutes, and multiple steps (boil, toast, slice, melt, etc.). Just saying'.
Amen to that. No fuss means with the least amount of dirtied dishes and utensils as possible. More like this:
Buy: pack of pre-sliced english muffins, jar of pizza sauce, pack of shredded mozarella, pack of pre-sliced pepperoni.
Pre heat oven to 425. Put a piece of foil on a cookie sheet. Lay out split english muffins face up. Use a table spoon and spread one tbsp of sauce on each. Put 3 slice of pepperoni on each. Use entire bag of mozzarella to cover them all. Bake 10-15 minutes and serve on paper plates.
All done with one dirty spoon.
  #43  
Old 01-24-2020, 12:43 PM
swampspruce's Avatar
swampspruce is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cool Pool
Posts: 4,719
Heat a can of brown beans with one or two chopped up hot dogs or cooked sausages.Pile a bunch of spinach and sprinkle a little nutmeg into a bowl and pour the Weenie-beanie mixture on top. Add cheese and a fried egg if you're so inclined.
__________________
Life is an economy. Where everything must be traded for something else and the value of all things rise and fall with the amount of attention and effort you put into them. -Mark Manson
  #44  
Old 01-24-2020, 01:47 PM
Push You Down is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 6,332
Peanut butter and banana sandwich....it's easy, it's filling, it's tasty.
__________________
I have only one thing to say about that- Shut up.
  #45  
Old 01-24-2020, 01:49 PM
madsircool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
Peanut butter and banana sandwich....it's easy, it's filling, it's tasty.
The warning label on these should be a pic of Elvis on his bathroom floor.
  #46  
Old 01-24-2020, 03:34 PM
Guy Incognito is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 669
1 package of boxed mac-n-cheese
1 pouch of tuna
Handful of potato chips

Prepare mac-n-cheese according to box directions, toss in the contents of the pouch of tuna and and mix it up. Server on a plate with crumbled potato chips as a topping.

Quickie tuna casserole!
__________________
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere we get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus (Rusty) Venture, The Venture Brothers
  #47  
Old 01-24-2020, 03:34 PM
TruCelt's Avatar
TruCelt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 11,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
Peanut butter and banana sandwich....it's easy, it's filling, it's tasty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
The warning label on these should be a pic of Elvis on his bathroom floor.
That's only if you fry it up in butter.

Worth it though.
  #48  
Old 01-24-2020, 03:56 PM
wolfman is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 11,138
Slice off some salami, slice off some decent cheese, assemble cheese and salami on mustarded cracker. Repeat as required.
  #49  
Old 01-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Two Many Cats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Amen to that. No fuss means with the least amount of dirtied dishes and utensils as possible. More like this:
Buy: pack of pre-sliced english muffins, jar of pizza sauce, pack of shredded mozarella, pack of pre-sliced pepperoni.
Pre heat oven to 425. Put a piece of foil on a cookie sheet. Lay out split english muffins face up. Use a table spoon and spread one tbsp of sauce on each. Put 3 slice of pepperoni on each. Use entire bag of mozzarella to cover them all. Bake 10-15 minutes and serve on paper plates.
All done with one dirty spoon.
You don't wash the cookie sheet????????????
  #50  
Old 01-24-2020, 04:08 PM
Cardigan's Avatar
Cardigan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,961
Frozen waffles with syrup. Maybe microwave some breakfast sausage if I'm craving a protein. Dirties one plate, knife, fork and a microwave dish.

Last edited by Cardigan; 01-24-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017