Old 01-24-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
1 package of boxed mac-n-cheese
1 pouch of tuna
Handful of potato chips

Prepare mac-n-cheese according to box directions, toss in the contents of the pouch of tuna and and mix it up. Server on a plate with crumbled potato chips as a topping.

Quickie tuna casserole!
I do this, but with Stouffer's frozen mac & cheese. Microwave for six-ish minutes, til it's no longer a solid brick. Stir in a small can of tuna and a handful of frozen mixed veggies. Continue microwaving until all is hot. Potato chips are a nice touch.

Still, some of these things seem like a lot of work.

Here's a quickie quesadilla: lay a flour tortilla in a pan, sprinkle some grated cheese on top or a couple of slices, lay another flour tortilla on top of that. Turn over when first side is toasty. Let second side get toasty. Consume.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Imitation lobster rolls:

Get a pack of imitation lobster.
Rough chop it.
Add a good squeeze of mayo and shake on a little Old Bay seasoning.
Mix together.
Makes enough for two good-sized sandwiches. I use club rolls.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:17 PM

Cheese roll-ups (not quite a quesadilla, not quite a burrito):

Spread a tiny bit of butter on a flour tortilla. Scatter some shredded cheddar top. Add any salsa* you like, then sprinkle with garlic salt. Nuke until cheese starts to melt. Roll up and chow down.

*I'm not the world's biggest fan of Pace, but it works great on these things.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Bachelor stew:

Fry up some ground beef. Then pour a can of tomato soup along with whatever veggies you have in the fridge or pantry.
The Junior Girl Scout Handbook from 1963 had a similar recipe they called Campfire Stew. Brown the ground beef with chopped onion, drain the fat, add Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable soup (the alphabet version) and a bit of water, simmer for a few minutes. If you have some leftover rice, spoon some stew over it.

Much quicker is a can of tuna, a bit of onion powder, a couple of spoons of sweet pickle relish, and a blob of mayonnaise. Mix and serve with crackers.

Last edited by CurrlyD; 01-24-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
You don't wash the cookie sheet????????????
Nope. Thatís what the sheet of foil is for.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Um, sorry no. If it's involved in the cooking, it gets washed. Stuff may get stuck on the sides, crud sticks to the bottom from the oven. I mean, c'mon.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
The warning label on these should be a pic of Elvis on his bathroom floor.
...it's bread... a banana and...... peanut butter? What are you talking about?
Old 01-24-2020, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm with you here -- if it's properly foiled, no need to wash. Just roll it up and throw it away. Hell, my neat freak mother and my finicky mother in law don't wash trays most of the time when they foil them, unless they notice something leak through. I mean, that's the whole point of foiling.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:32 PM

Curses, foiled again!
Old 01-24-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrlyD View Post
The Junior Girl Scout Handbook from 1963 had a similar recipe they called Campfire Stew. Brown the ground beef with chopped onion, drain the fat, add Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable soup (the alphabet version) and a bit of water, simmer for a few minutes. If you have some leftover rice, spoon some stew over it.

Yes! We called it Brownie Stew. It was of my mother's go-to dishes after she was our Brownie troop leader one year around that time.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yeah, I'm with you here -- if it's properly foiled, no need to wash. Just roll it up and throw it away. Hell, my neat freak mother and my finicky mother in law don't wash trays most of the time when they foil them, unless they notice something leak through. I mean, that's the whole point of foiling.
100% from me. I have a old Blue steel,outer rolled corners, official because there was nothing official about them, Detroit-Pizza-making, factory parts pan.
And damned if I'm gonna clean it for fish sticks because the seasoning is legendary , but also it gets to 350 minimum every time I use it, Foil or not, it is more sterile than a autoclave.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
Cheese roll-ups (not quite a quesadilla, not quite a burrito):

Spread a tiny bit of butter on a flour tortilla. Scatter some shredded cheddar top. Add any salsa* you like, then sprinkle with garlic salt. Nuke until cheese starts to melt. Roll up and chow down.

*I'm not the world's biggest fan of Pace, but it works great on these things.
If you're REALLY lazy/tired, a flour tortilla + a stick of string cheese nuked for several seconds makes a decent snack. The cheese gets really melty quite fast.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Breakfast burrito: go to a McDonald's, and order a half-dozen of their $1 breakfast burritos. Go home, put in freezer bags, put bags in freezer.

Now, whenever you get the craving for one, they're waiting for you; no McDonalds run needed. Pull one out and nuke it. I recommend a couple minutes at low power to heat them all the way through.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You don't wash the cookie sheet????????????
Quote:
Quote:
Um, sorry no. If it's involved in the cooking, it gets washed. Stuff may get stuck on the sides, crud sticks to the bottom from the oven. I mean, c'mon.
Quote:
That's the side I come down on too. We cook all sorts of stuff on a foiled cookie sheet. When I'm cleaning up after supper, I pull the foil off and toss it. A quick look will tell you if anything's leaked through, and if so, I'll wash it. But if it hasn't, I'm putting it directly back in the oven, which is where it lives in between uses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
Curses, foiled again!
Old 01-25-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
100% from me. I have a old Blue steel,outer rolled corners, official because there was nothing official about them, Detroit-Pizza-making, factory parts pan.
And damned if I'm gonna clean it for fish sticks because the seasoning is legendary , but also it gets to 350 minimum every time I use it, Foil or not, it is more sterile than a autoclave.
OMG-- you own one of those pans?? Very cool!

They were highlighted in this episode of Cook's Country when Bryan Roof made pizza.

I also line everything with foil, but I use non-stick foil.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:48 AM

My go to lazy meal is Campbell's Bean and Bacon Soup. Open can, dump in pan, add a can of water, stir, tell Alexa to set a timer for 10 minutes, go watch TV, come back when timer goes off and... dinner.

If I'm extra motivated I'll make a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it (Bread, butter or oil, cheese, pan, heat, flip, eat)... or if slightly less so a toasted cheese sandwich (bread in toaster, cheese in between when toast is warm). Sometimes I'll add a slice or two of ham... but that is bordering on actually cooking.

Otherwise it involves speaking into a speaker and saying something like "I'll take a number 2, medium sized, with a coke.)
Old 01-25-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Heh. I actually made three Detroit-ish style pies yesterday with some 4-day old dough I had going in the fridge. (I didn't do sauce on top, and I didn't have any brick cheese around, hence my "Detroit-ish" disclaimer.) Damn, I do love those pies. One of these days I'll have to get around to getting some of those proper blue steel pans.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
All y'all have a funny idea of no fuss and exhausted. Some of these sound like they take about 40 minutes, and multiple steps (boil, toast, slice, melt, etc.). Just saying'.
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I suppose mine would be the poor man's version of that. Make some toast, just like you normally do. Put some pizza sauce and cheese on it. Put it under the broiler for a few minutes and it's done.
we do that with matza for Passover. It's delicious and relatively easy, but it involves buying shredded mozzarella (not a household staple) and the cleanup is a pain.

Quote:
"Even the OP" here.

Boiling a potato, regular or sweet, is the laziest stovetop cooking you can get. It's water to cover, and wait as it cooks. You don't even have to fuss with a timer as with boiling eggs. Just jab for doneness with a fork and lift it out of the pot with the same fork.
Cut the potato open and dump cottage cheese on it. Sprinkle with capers. Tah-dah.

I guarantee that you will extend less effort on this than smearing sticky uncooperative gobs of peanut butter on bread, and then balancing slippery blackberry jelly on a knife edge from jar to sandwich.
But it doesn't satisfy the "I want it now" criterion. And if I'm actually cooking, I could just as well pop a chicken in the oven or chops on the stove.

My "I'm exhausted, don't want to cook" meals are:
Cereal with milk
Canned sardines over wasa crisps (I keep a supply of both handy. They keep indefinitely)
PB&J on frozen sandwich bread
Leftovers (right now we have lentils chili in the fridge. Also rice, some string beans, and a lot of oranges. That's better than the usual options, but within the normal range.)

If I'm feeling a little more adventurous, I might boil an egg and make myself soft boiled eggs on toast. Or pop a batch of popcorn in the skillet.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
1 package of boxed mac-n-cheese
1 pouch of tuna
Handful of potato chips

Prepare mac-n-cheese according to box directions, toss in the contents of the pouch of tuna and and mix it up. Server on a plate with crumbled potato chips as a topping.

Quickie tuna casserole!
My wife used to do something similar. Boil up some egg noodles, add a can of tuna, a can of peas, and a can of cream of mushroom soup.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 01-25-2020, 05:15 PM

I opened a super-premium (hey, it was a gift!) can of catfood for the boys (a good cowboy feeds the stock first) and the opened can smelled,well...my friend said "I'll have some of that on a cracker."

Dan
Old 01-25-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
My wife used to do something similar. Boil up some egg noodles, add a can of tuna, a can of peas, and a can of cream of mushroom soup.
I just buy the boxed Tuna Helper (I throw in extra peas).
Old 01-25-2020, 06:25 PM

Small tub cottage cheese + semi-dried basil + small handful of cherry/grape tomatoes

OR

Put on teapot, throw packet of ramen in a bowl, sprinkle on the seasoning packet, crack an egg on it... pour boiling water over it, cover with a plate, eat 3-5 minutes later.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:43 PM

Yeah, I've had ramen with an egg, too. I don't know why i don't do that more often. It's dead easy, and pretty satisfying.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:35 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

The nuke in little bag rice, dump into a bowl, add a tablespoon of soy sauce, half a tbsp of mirin, mix well, add about a tbsp butter, mix, then top with an egg and mix together. Sort of my version of a Japanese breakfast.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
But the one for Sludge seems like genius! Definitely trying that one. Sludge may win the thread if it tastes like the heart stopping trip to heaven it sounds like.
I agree. At first I thought, "hmm, sounds strangely good, but I will never be able to make it, because I would never have potato flakes in my house." However, then I realized that I do on rare occasion buy them, because they are a great additive to bread (yeast love them and bread rises beautifully with a few tablespoons of potato flakes in the dough).

If I may expand the thread to include a no-fuss dessert, I learned a neat trick from a co-worker many years ago. Of course, for most people a "no-fuss" dessert is probably ice cream or something else bought at the store, but if you are like me you don't keep ready-to-eat sweets on hand. So here is a two-ingredient dessert that you actually have to make:

JAM CAKE
1 box angel food cake mix
1 jar jam of your choice

Mix together, put into a greased rectangular pan, bake at - oh, let's say 375 - for a while, until done.

If you are obsessing over the size of the jar of jam, or whether the pan is 9x11 or 10x14, you are thinking too hard. Just do it.

This makes a LOT of cake, and it's not as good when it isn't fresh, so either eat it up pretty quick or refrigerate/freeze leftovers.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Really? I always cover my sheet pans with foil so I don't have to wash them. Once in awhile, the foil might rip and the sheet gets greasy. Then, of course, I wash it.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:50 AM

Egg fried over easy, placed on top of leftover rice, topped with a dollop of oyster sauce.

If even that's too much effort, there's always Stouffer's lasagna in the freezer.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I agree. At first I thought, "hmm, sounds strangely good, but I will never be able to make it, because I would never have potato flakes in my house." However, then I realized that I do on rare occasion buy them, because they are a great additive to bread (yeast love them and bread rises beautifully with a few tablespoons of potato flakes in the dough).

If I may expand the thread to include a no-fuss dessert, I learned a neat trick from a co-worker many years ago. Of course, for most people a "no-fuss" dessert is probably ice cream or something else bought at the store, but if you are like me you don't keep ready-to-eat sweets on hand. So here is a two-ingredient dessert that you actually have to make:

JAM CAKE
1 box angel food cake mix
1 jar jam of your choice

Mix together, put into a greased rectangular pan, bake at - oh, let's say 375 - for a while, until done.

If you are obsessing over the size of the jar of jam, or whether the pan is 9x11 or 10x14, you are thinking too hard. Just do it.

This makes a LOT of cake, and it's not as good when it isn't fresh, so either eat it up pretty quick or refrigerate/freeze leftovers.
Wait. Do you add water or eggs like the box directions say? Or just literally the contents of the box and the jam?
Old 01-27-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Here's something I came up with for those days when I can't be bothered to cook:

Boil a sweet potato to desired softness, skin and all.

Cut in half lengthwise.

Salt to taste.

Add layer of cottage cheese.

Add generous teaspoon (or more) of capers, widely distributed over mound of cottage cheese.

Enjoy!

For me, cottage cheese is a savory dish, not sweet. The capers add a delicious salty burst as you eat. Much like caviar, but not expensive, and no fishy aftertaste.

Y'know, caviar would probably taste good on this in place of capers if you are so inclined.

I also tried leftover canned peas with a lemon juice kick, but capers are better. I needed to use up the peas though, and I used them straight out of the fridge with no reheating.

Any other ideas? Other easy dishes?
Get box of favorite breakfast cereal from cupboard. Pour cereal into bowl. Cover with milk. Eat.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:51 PM

Cook Top Ramen the in microwave for 4 minutes then eat the noodles. After the noodles are gone crumble saltine crackers in the broth.

Last edited by Dark Sponge; 01-27-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Bachelor stew:

Fry up some ground beef. Then pour a can of tomato soup along with whatever veggies you have in the fridge or pantry.
That reminds me of the "toss it in" soup/stew my family used to make as a kid:

Brown the ground beef or cheap steak.

Then start tossing in whatever canned or frozen vegetables you might have:

carrots, green beans, beans, peas, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, corn, onions, etc.

You can even add a can of condensed soup to it as well. (tomato soup is good, as well as french onion)

Then add water (and maybe bullion/broth if you have it) and let it boil.

It was a good way to use up the vegetables we had in the cupboard and freezer. Food pantries usually give out canned stuff we wouldn't have eaten otherwise by themselves.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Break up a block of cheap ramen noodles and put them in the microwave with a cup of water for 3 minutes. Dump it on a plate and add some grated cheese and spaghetti sauce and heat some more. You now have cheap Italian pasta.

You can also throw some frozen veggies in the microwave for a side.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Regarding foiling a pan. That's what I do. If it won't fit in the dishwasher I don't want to have to wash it.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:21 PM

1 can cream of mushroom soup, prepared normally.
Heat to just boiling, then add 1.5 cups Minute Rice (I know, but it's convenient sometimes).
Remove from heat, cover, 5 minutes, done.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Wait. Do you add water or eggs like the box directions say? Or just literally the contents of the box and the jam?
The angel food cake box mix I've used doesn't call for eggs (are you sure you aren't thinking of yellow cake mix?), so ... no. Just the angel food cake mix and the jam.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:55 AM

Just ate a dinner that probably qualifies for this thread, if a policy of squirreling things away in the freezer is allowed.

Got home at 7:30pm, much too tired to cook. From my freezer, I pulled out: a piece of salmon (precut and frozen from a big filet bought at Costco weeks ago), and a package of English muffins. From the fridge, I grabbed triple-washed mixed greens and some wasabi sauce. Then:

- thaw salmon in microwave, sear in cast iron skillet
- thaw and toast English muffin
- Assemble sandwich: salmon, greens, and wasabi sauce on toasted English muffin

Not bad. Of course, a nice long marinade for the salmon before it was seared would have made the sandwich better, but that gets into "fussing" territory.

Last edited by CairoCarol; 01-28-2020 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Breakfast burrito. Fry up bacon, scramble some eggs with cream cheese, heat a flour tort in the bacon pan and load it up. Hot sauce optional.

Cook up a batch of macaroni in one pot. Heat up a can of chili in a second pot. Mix them both togeddah and add grated cheddar.
The breakfast burrito sounds swell but a lot of work, I think it would be easier and faster to nuke a frozen one. Or buy one at the drive through. Chili mac, though, is the bomb with wagon wheels.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:57 AM

I always have cooked crumbled hamburger in the freezer. I dump some in a baking dish, thaw in the microwave. Add some canned vegetables (corn is popular) and beef gravy. Top with mashed potatoes, frozen, already prepared, even instant made with milk and butter. Top with grated cheese and bake 20 minutes. Shepherds pie!
Old 01-28-2020, 11:34 AM

My lazy version of shrimp fried rice: While rice cooks, sautť onion, ginger and garlic in a frying pan. Chop green pepper in medium-sized pieces and add to pan. Rinse frozen shelled shrimp to remove ice and add to pan. When the shrimp are cooked and the rice is done, add rice to pan, mix and eat.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:41 PM

Hmmm...way too much frying, boiling pasta, preparation, and toasting suggested here to meet my expectations.

Put a potato in the microwave and "bake" it. Poke a couple holes in a cheap bag of creamed chipped beef or chicken a la king and heat it in the microwave. Split the potato and pour the stuff over it. Voila! No pans, pots, or utensils (other than your plate and fork) to clean. In fact, I usually just put it on a paper plate and let my dogs lick the fork clean.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:59 PM

Lamajune, a.k.a. Armenian pizza

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahmacun

Add a dab of sour cream, shallots, broccoli, cheese (usually gouda for me) and some sprinkled spices. Heat in toaster oven. Afterwards, add sections of Ojai Pixie tangerines (if in season; if not, any citrus will do). Prep time: about 5-7 minutes, or 2-3 minutes if you skip the toaster oven part.

Availability of lamajune is greatly aided by living in a neighborhood with lots of Armenians.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
Hmmm...way too much frying, boiling pasta, preparation, and toasting suggested here to meet my expectations.

Put a potato in the microwave and "bake" it. Poke a couple holes in a cheap bag of creamed chipped beef or chicken a la king and heat it in the microwave. Split the potato and pour the stuff over it. Voila! No pans, pots, or utensils (other than your plate and fork) to clean. In fact, I usually just put it on a paper plate and let my dogs lick the fork clean.
Wow. I make microwave potatoes often. I make creamed chipped beef in the microwave often. Why did it never occur to me to put them together! I have always used toast for the chipped beef; a potato would be much better. THANK YOU!
Old 01-28-2020, 09:35 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Tonight was simply frozen cocktail meatballs, nuked and slathered with BBQ sauce and some spices. Not meant to be a balanced meal, just something so my stomach doesn't growl in the night.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:50 PM

Well, I tried Sludge with Chunky Vegetable Soup and I was most pleased with the yummy results. I think it would be even better with a full can of water instead of half. But this is a brand new emergency recipe for me now, and I haven't had one of those for awhile. Thanks Annie Xmas!

Last edited by Two Many Cats; 01-28-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:26 AM

Honey Nut Cheerios
Old 01-29-2020, 08:08 AM

Are many of you on one of those old 6 small meals a day bodybuilding type diets? Just curious how all these 200-300 calorie snacks or whatever count as meals.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Pouch of rice takes 90 seconds in the microwave.

Pouch of Tasty Bites Indian food takes 60 seconds.

BAM! I'm eating curry.
This gets my vote.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I wash and reuse foil - what do I win?
Old 01-29-2020, 10:46 AM

Check the freezer section of your grocery store to see what kinds of semi-prepared meats they have available. You'll likely find hamburger patties, diced chicken, pre-cooked shrimp, cooked breakfast sausage, etc. Keep some of those in your freezer as easy protein sources for quick meals.

The freezer section will also have family-size items like lasagna, gumbo, enchiladas, etc. Often they skimp on the meat in those kinds of things, so add in some of the frozen meat to make a more hearty meal.

Tossing in some of the frozen diced chicken into canned soup or chili can also make those kinds of things more of a meal.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springtime for Spacers View Post
I wash and reuse foil - what do I win?
I re-use foil if I can do so without heavy washing. For instance, the foil I used to encase the spring-form pan when I rested it in water to cook something delicate can probably be used 2-4 times for the same purpose, without actually applying soap or scrubbing or anything.

I'm impressed that you actually wash your foil.