Old 01-27-2020, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

I wish I still had my first edition of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, before the Oompa Loompas were changed in the name of "political correctness."
Old 01-27-2020, 10:29 AM
SDSAB

Joe Haldeman put out a revised edition of The Forever War, with some stuff cut for the initial release, especially about social breakdown on Earth. He also revised the dates to put it further in the future.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
I wanted to add that Tolkien's creation of the idea that the First Edition story was a lie told by Bilbo was absolutely brilliant, and a good example of how he could take two seemingly contradictory statements and add a new statement that doesn't contradict, but resolves the two stories.
Conan Doyle did something similar. The climax of the first Holmes novel, A Study in Scarlet, has a (to my mind) minor plot hole. It was fixed in the second novel, The Sign of the Four, which opens with Holmes and Watson discussing the recently published A Study in Scarlet. Holmes complains that Watson didn't just transcribe the events exactly as they happened. Watson argues he used artistic license to make for a better read. To which Holmes replies, basically, "But because you changed the location where we arrested the bad guy, then [description of plot hole]'"
Old 02-01-2020, 02:04 PM

James Branch Cabell republished his books in a uniform edition of 18 volumes, the Storisende Edition. Used to be nearly impossible to find, I've only found it in one library.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:27 PM

How about Lawrence Block's stories about the young woman who murders everybody with whom she has sex? When he collected/expanded them into a novel, he changed around several details of her background, like whether she murdered her parents.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:43 PM

I read a copy of Agatha Christie's "A Mysterious Affair ar Styles" - the very first Hercule Poirot book. There were two versions of the ending. One which followed from the penultimate chapter. That was the published version from 1921. The other was an unpublished version that was scrapped but the publisher included it at the end.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:49 PM

JK Rowling saying that Hermione might have been black probably counts.

In the original London theatrical version of The Cursed Child, Hermione was played by a black woman. It is not at all uncommon in theatre for white characters to be played by black actors - it's just a thing. Hamlet has been played by black men, and by women, too, with no changes made it the character, and nobody's saying that Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, was black or male.

Sometimes it's a plot point - Hamlet's an outsider, after all - but sometimes it's genuinely colour-blind: secondary characters are also often played by non-white people despite it being highly unlikely they were written as non-white, and nobody cares. It's a theatre thing. (In the UK - can't guarantee the case for the US or elsewhere).

Hermione in the books was white, and there are a dozen in-text instances where that's obvious, plus Rowling's own drawings of Hermione. There was no need for Rowling to try to claim that Hermione had been black all along just because a black actress had been cast to play her in a play adaptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
When the book was first published in the US (until 1986), the last (21st) chapter where Alex repents and gives up his old life was omitted. Kubrik based his film off of the American version, and he and others (including the original American editor) feel that the final chapter isn't believable and doesn't fit with the other 20 chapters.
I suppose that sort of counts with the OP asking about a publisher making changes, but the author never did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Terry Pratchett re-released his very first novel The Carpet People, which he had originally written when he was a teenager, in a revised edition more in keeping with his modern sensibilities and skill level.
Don't blame him. The original is in some anthology I have and it's not very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
I suppose it's actually the same reasons - to make them more relevant to modern readers. There's none of Judy Blume's education-through-story in Blyton though.

This suggests that the rewrites were a failure, and they went back to publishing the originals again!
They changed the names of some of the Faraway Tree characters because they two of them were called Fanny and Dick, but I could cope with that in the 80s when they were already funny, and so could my daughter. You giggle, and carry on reading.

They also got rid of some of the mild racism, which I would prefer to keep in so that kids know that stories were like that then. It wasn't traumatic racism that would hurt kids as they read it, and it's not good to pretend that the characters, even the good guys, in 1930s-50s stories were completely non-racist.