Old 02-02-2020, 04:19 AM

Their kid albums are fantastic. I still sing snippets, and my kids are in high school.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:09 AM

Their kids’ album, “No!” is pretty great.

Agreed with those who were not impressed with them live - and it’s not because they were tired of the songs from Flood - the first time I saw them was summer of ‘90. The other two times were free shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Birdhouse isn't even their best song.

Your Racist Friend buys a lot of leeway with me.
Meh. Too obvious. Listening to that song feels like getting repeatedly whacked with a sledgehammer that has “RACISM IS BAD” engraved on the face.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:02 AM

Mr. Dibble: it occurs to me that the experience of hearing “Your Racist Friend” in 1990 was probably very different for a non-white South African than for a white American. I’m sorry for any offense I may have caused by being thoughtless about context.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:32 AM

I bought Flood when it came out, because of the great song "Birdhouse in Your Soul". I knew nothing of the band at the time. In addition to Birdhouse, I immediately fell in love with "Dead". The lyrics quoted are great, and the key to the song, but the rest are also terrific, in addition to the production and arrangement. But the rest of the album never took hold. I tried their follow-up Apollo and maybe played it twice. All this is to say that if there is one song that has a higher "I-love-the-song to I-am-not-a-huge-fan-of-the-album" ratio, I can't think of it. This song always grabs me, and even more so now that it's been 30 years since I first heard it. Fuck!
Old 02-03-2020, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

I saw them perform in a small venue (actually it was in the student center) at my university in Houston back in 1990. I bought Flood around the same time.

My son and I are going to see them perform Flood in its entirety for the 30th anniversary of the album's release later this week in New Haven, CT. He's in his early 20s, so of course the original album was released before he was born.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:30 PM

I saw them in 1995, with a friend who was then 5 months pregnant. (Her daughter slept through the whole show.) The only thing I really remember about that show is that it was in a ballroom, and at one point, they wanted the crowd to form one giant conga line. My friend was leading it at first, and when she asked if we could swap places, the line actually stopped and we did.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:51 AM

Wow, all these people saying TMBG live is boring is...not at all my experience. I like a lot of their albums and I have seen them live at least 10 times, and for me the lives shows have been amazing. They've got a killer backing band with whom the Johns have great chemistry. They improv, they do fun shit with the crowd, every show is different. They are one of my favorite live bands of all time.

Last edited by ShadowFacts; 02-04-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
Wow, all these people saying TMBG live is boring is...not at all my experience. I like a lot of their albums and I have seen them live at least 10 times, and for me the lives shows have been amazing. They've got a killer backing band with whom the Johns have great chemistry. They improv, they do fun shit with the crowd, every show is different. They are one of my favorite live bands of all time.
Agreed. I might have given the opinion earlier that I don't like them much. Flood was fine for the most part, and I certainly listened to it, at least enough to want to get tickets to see them at the 9:30 Club in D.C., when it was still downtown. And yeah, the show was very entertaining as I recall.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

I probably like Istabul(Not Constantinople) way more than I should because it was on Tiny Toons.
The Malcolm in the Middle theme song was pretty catchy too.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
Meh. Too obvious. Listening to that song feels like getting repeatedly whacked with a sledgehammer that has “RACISM IS BAD” engraved on the face.
Huh. That's not at all what the song is saying, though.

The song isn't sung to the racist. It's sung to the racist's friend, and it's about not standing by when someone's being a bigot, even when speaking up makes things super awkward with your friends, even when it ruins everyone's time:

Quote:
It was the loveliest party that I've ever attended
If anything was broken I'm sure it could be mended
My head can't tolerate this bobbing and pretending
Listen to some bullet-head and the madness that he's saying
It goes further: it says that when the bigot tries to smooth things over, you shouldn't let him:
Quote:
Out from the kitchen to the bedroom to the hallway
Your friend apologizes, he could see it my way
He let the contents of the bottle do the thinking
Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding
So, maybe not so obvious?
Old 02-05-2020, 05:22 PM

Love 'em.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Huh. That's not at all what the song is saying, though.

The song isn't sung to the racist. It's sung to the racist's friend, and it's about not standing by when someone's being a bigot, even when speaking up makes things super awkward with your friends, even when it ruins everyone's time:

It goes further: it says that when the bigot tries to smooth things over, you shouldn't let him:

So, maybe not so obvious?
Yes, dear. I am thoroughly familiar with the song.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
Yes, dear. I am thoroughly familiar with the song.
Okay, love. Your interpretation of the song is not correct, snuggles.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:41 PM

No love for The Guitar? I'm not a big fan of TMBG, I think my first encounter was Istanbul on MTV's Liquid Television? Certainly enjoy Birdhouse. But to me, TMBG calls to mind The Guitar. Love that jam!