Old 01-26-2020, 07:04 PM

Uses for the liquid (broth?) that jarred gefilte fish comes in

Confession time/full disclosure: I like gefilte fish that comes in jars. There. I've said it. I like it room temp and I like it cold right out of the fridge. I like it with sinus-searing horseradish, the kind that brings tears to your eyes and breaks you out in a sweat. So sue me. I suppose I'll be banned after this.

After you fish (as it were) the oval patty-things out of the jar you have this gelatinous, broth-y substance left. Rather a lot of it. Seems a shame to throw it away. Gefilte fish really isn't all that fishy. At least the jarred stuff isn't. I guess the broth isn't either. I've only had homemade at other people's houses, and it's not something I'll ever make. Would this liquid be a good addition to chicken soup, for instance, along with chicken broth? Any other uses for it besides pouring over the cat's kibble?

Any opinions on this? Am I the only one?
Old 01-26-2020, 07:28 PM

After trying Yehuda Original Gefilte Fish, I discovered I actually like the stuff, after many decades of thinking gefilte fish was awful. I just finish the broth off when I'm done eating the fish. The original variety is ever-so-slightly sweet, not full-on sweet like the sweet broth variety. Much better than the Manischevitz of my childhood. I wish it weren't so expensive.

Last edited by needscoffee; 01-26-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:32 PM

I just drink/slurp it, right out of the jar. I wouldn't think of adding it to chicken soup or giving it to my cat.

But really, homemade isn't that hard to make, and it's radically different than what comes in jars. I used to help my bubbe make it.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
After trying Yehuda Original Gefilte Fish, I discovered I actually like the stuff, after many decades of thinking gefilte fish was awful. I just finish the broth off when I'm done eating the fish. The original variety is ever-so-slightly sweet, not full-on sweet like the sweet broth variety. Much better than the Manischevitz of my childhood. I wish it weren't so expensive.
Yes, definitely Yehuda. I had some this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I just drink/slurp it, right out of the jar. I wouldn't think of adding it to chicken soup or giving it to my cat.

But really, homemade isn't that hard to make, and it's radically different than what comes in jars. I used to help my bubbe make it.
I don't have to start with a live carp in the bathtub, do I?

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 01-26-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I was under the impression you lived in Texas or someplace like that.

Do, uhhhh....your friends and neighbors know you eat gefilte fish? It might be wise to eat it alone, in a dark room.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I was under the impression you lived in Texas or someplace like that.

Do, uhhhh....your friends and neighbors know you eat gefilte fish? It might be wise to eat it alone, in a dark room.
Yes. I closed all the curtains before I chowed down.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:46 PM

I love the jelly. With good strong horseradish. I have to admit I have never heard of Yehuda, but I can't imagine it is anything like my grandmother's. She started by choosing a carp swimming in a tank at the fishmonger's.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:05 PM

I believe the proper name for it is "aspic". Yes, we were very amused by that as children.

Last edited by Shmendrik; 01-30-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:42 PM

I'd experiment with making a big batch if I had a way of preserving it. I can't imagine it would freeze very well.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:47 AM

Growing up, gefilte fish, chopped liver, and matzo were some of my favorite foods. As an adult I've made chopped liver and purchased matzo (and made matzo balls for soup), but it's been a long time since I've had gefilte fish. Guess I'll be buying some now.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:42 AM

As a person who usually enjoys odd seafood concoctions, and as a former supermarket nightstocker whose responsibilities included restocking the Jewish section, I was always intrigued by the jars of strange-looking white blobs that the label claimed to be fish, but in 12 years I never bought one and tried it. It seemed like a fairly large jar and I didn't want to have to toss out that much food if I hated it. I have many Jewish friends who could probably give me some, or at least certainly their parents could, but I've never taken advantage of that opportunity, either.

Someday I'll get around to trying it.

I'm guessing it's similar to Asian fish balls, which is fish meat that's been pounded into a paste, then mixed with a few seasonings, formed into balls, and boiled. Is that close?

Last edited by DCnDC; 01-31-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:44 AM

I've no use for the jelly, but love gefilte fish with tons of the hottest horseradish I can find.

When I was a kid, my grandmother used to make shredded turkey in aspic. Great big deep casserole dish of the stuff. So rubbery you cut it with knife to serve. That with hot horseradish was heaven to me. That must be going on 40 years ago now. Good times.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I'm guessing it's similar to Asian fish balls, which is fish meat that's been pounded into a paste, then mixed with a few seasonings, formed into balls, and boiled. Is that close?
Similar. Not quite as dense. Gefilte fish tends to be fluffier.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
...I'm guessing it's similar to Asian fish balls, which is fish meat that's been pounded into a paste, then mixed with a few seasonings, formed into balls, and boiled. Is that close?
Gefilte fish isn't fishy-tasting at all. It has a very mild, neutral taste, which is why it needs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
... love gefilte fish with tons of the hottest horseradish I can find....
The other day I took too big a bite of horseradish and it sat for a few seconds in my throat as I attempted to swallow it, eventually flooding it with water. It occurred to me at that moment that you could kill someone with a big dose of horseradish.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just drink/slurp it, right out of the jar.
Let some dribble down your chin, and maintain eye contact to establish dominance.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Now I want some gefilte fish.

I usually splurge for Gold’s whitefish and pike premium stuff, rather than plain carp. With plenty of Gold’s horseradish. Preferably the beet kind, to liven up the plating.

I think matzoh tastes like cardboard. If I have Carr’s rosemary crackers instead, does it mark me as hopelessly goyische?
Old 01-31-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Speaking for your goyische neighbors, don't.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Speaking for your goyische neighbors, don't.
Why?
Old 01-31-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
After you fish (as it were) the oval patty-things out of the jar you have this gelatinous,broth-y substance left. Rather a lot of it. Seems a shame to throw it away...Any other uses for it besides pouring over the cat's kibble?
Sell it to Hollywood, to use as paranormal slime in the next remake of Ghostbusters.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Sell it to Hollywood, to use as paranormal slime in the next remake of Ghostbusters.
Fun ectoplasm fact (Wikipedia):

"[Danish medium Einer] Nielsen was ... caught hiding his ectoplasm in his rectum."
Old 01-31-2020, 10:33 PM

I just discovered Meal Mart gefilte fish (at Walmart). It's more flavorful than Yehuda.

When my bubbe had a fish in the bathtub, she used to pour some schnapps down its throat, so it wouldn't hurt so much when she killed it. She also made fish-head soup, which nobody else ate or even looked at.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
I just discovered Meal Mart gefilte fish (at Walmart). It's more flavorful than Yehuda.
Thanks for the tip! I'll look for it.

Quote:
When my bubbe had a fish in the bathtub, she used to pour some schnapps down its throat, so it wouldn't hurt so much when she killed it.
)
Old 02-07-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
As a person who usually enjoys odd seafood concoctions, and as a former supermarket nightstocker whose responsibilities included restocking the Jewish section, I was always intrigued by the jars of strange-looking white blobs that the label claimed to be fish, but in 12 years I never bought one and tried it. It seemed like a fairly large jar and I didn't want to have to toss out that much food if I hated it. I have many Jewish friends who could probably give me some, or at least certainly their parents could, but I've never taken advantage of that opportunity, either.

Someday I'll get around to trying it.

I once helped my grandmother make a batch. It started with her choosing a carp swimming in a tank at the fish store. The fishmonger killed it and cleaned it, reserving all the skin ones and head and ground the meat. My grandmother then chopped the ground meat finer and finer while preparing a broth from the head, skin, and bones. She then mixed it with matzoh meal, raw eggs, and various spices. She fished the skin, bones, and head from the broth and then started stuffing the mixture into skin, into hunks of bone, and even into the head, just making fish balls out of the rest. She then put all these pieces into the broth and cooked it for a while. The bones must release gelatin so that's why you get jelly.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:12 PM

Ah, gefilte fish.

There's a reason Israelis east almost exclusively Middle Eastern and Sephardic Jewish food.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Oh yum. That Yehuda is powerful medicine.

Take a carrot. Peel it, slice it thin. Lightly blanche it. Chill overnight.

Take a heap 'O fresh dill. Mince it finely.

Mix carrot disks and dill into Gefilte broth.

Oooooh man.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Ah, gefilte fish.

There's a reason Israelis east almost exclusively Middle Eastern and Sephardic Jewish food.
Party pooper. Take a New York vacation and cmkeller and I will treat you to some REAL Jewish food (i.e. NYC Jewish food).
Old 02-07-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
Oh yum. That Yehuda is powerful medicine.

Take a carrot. Peel it, slice it thin. Lightly blanche it. Chill overnight.

Take a heap 'O fresh dill. Mince it finely.

Mix carrot disks and dill into Gefilte broth.

Oooooh man.
Very interesting! Do you serve this hot, warm, chilled, or at room temp?

When I first open the jar I eat the fishie balls at room temp and then put the jar in the fridge. Later I eat them out of the fridge. I think the gefilte fish itself is best at room temp or chilled. I can't imagine it hot, but I don't have vast experience with it.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:04 PM

I can't be helpful about gefilte fish aspic, but your post did inspire me to pick up a jar of borscht and a bit of fresh dill today.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Party pooper. Take a New York vacation and cmkeller and I will treat you to some REAL Jewish food (i.e. NYC Jewish food).
Are you kidding? My family moved from New York to Israel to get away from that stuff!

(Actually, I used to go on a pilgrimage to the Second Avenue Deli every time I visited the city, before it moved uptown and got way to expensive. I would NEVER make fun of deli sandwiches).
Old 02-08-2020, 09:54 AM

For those who've been spared the horror of witnessing what comes in jars of gefilte fish (scurrying past the applicable refrigerated food section, heads down), here's a version that while grotesque, isn't quite as horrible as what I remember my grandparents eating.

"Gefilte fish is the subject of many nightmares of young Jewish kids forced to eat that gelatinous fish mound at the holiday table. Honestly I never minded the stuff that much. But I knew it had to get better than those store-bought science experiments.

Russ & Daughters makes both a traditional gefilte fish (from pike, whitefish, and carp) and a much more mild, fancier version with salmon and whitefish. The latter tastes like actual meat from the sea with enough dill and pepper to elevate this to restaurant quality food. It wouldn’t be surprising if this was an appetizer at a fancy French restaurant that called it “fish paté”."

Yeah, right.

Speaking of jelly, there's a rind of it found in cans of the ''paté'' my dog eats. He wolfs it down without caring how nauseating it looks, so there's a solution for the OP - feed it to your dog.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
I once helped my grandmother make a batch. It started with her choosing a carp swimming in a tank at the fish store. The fishmonger killed it and cleaned it, reserving all the skin ones and head and ground the meat. My grandmother then chopped the ground meat finer and finer while preparing a broth from the head, skin, and bones. She then mixed it with matzoh meal, raw eggs, and various spices. She fished the skin, bones, and head from the broth and then started stuffing the mixture into skin, into hunks of bone, and even into the head, just making fish balls out of the rest. She then put all these pieces into the broth and cooked it for a while. The bones must release gelatin so that's why you get jelly.
This is exactly how my grandmother made it. She even made her own cosmic hot beet horseradish from scratch. I can still remember how her entire house would smell during the prep.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 02-08-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Speaking of jelly, there's a rind of it found in cans of the ''paté'' my dog eats. He wolfs it down without caring how nauseating it looks, so there's a solution for the OP - feed it to your dog.
Good idea!
Old 02-08-2020, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Very interesting! Do you serve this hot, warm, chilled, or at room temp?

When I first open the jar I eat the fishie balls at room temp and then put the jar in the fridge. Later I eat them out of the fridge. I think the gefilte fish itself is best at room temp or chilled. I can't imagine it hot, but I don't have vast experience with it.
Oh, chilled.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:42 AM

DEFINITELY chilled!