Old 01-30-2020, 08:53 AM

The non-use of computer mice. Every computer is run by hitting a dozen keys in 1.2 seconds, triggering beeps and boops and sometimes 1990s progress bars.

Getting knocked unconscious and not requiring medical attention after regaining consciousness. Any blow that knocks you out should have more lasting impact, in my opinion.

Guns with silencers going "ffffffffft".
Old 01-30-2020, 08:55 AM

military saluting indoors. It is done but only in certain cases. But movies/TV do it when it's not done in real life.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Similarly, on NCIS, the agents easily drove from DC to Norfolk and back in a matter of a few hours - because there's never traffic in DC or on I-95 or around Richmond, or on I-64 to Norfolk, or in Norfolk itself. Not to mention California writers having characters on the east coast referring to highways as "the 495." Nope, sorry, we don't say that here.
I've been re-watching Bones and they fuck this up constantly; it's obvious every single episode that they know absolutely nothing about the area. They've repeatedly done the "the 495" thing you mentioned, and at one point Booth refers to Glover Park as a "bad neighborhood." Seriously?
Old 01-30-2020, 09:07 AM

About the traffic thing. I really like Bosch because of all the recognizable locations in Southern California they shoot in, but it drives me crazy, the way they just jump in a car in Hollywood and hop on up to Ventura or pop on over to Alhambra, or zip on down to Seal Beach like it’s a trip to the corner 7-Eleven. Any of those trips should take half a day in mid-day LA traffic.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:08 AM

Military uniforms. Most civilians don't notice or care, but active duty and vets absolutely do, and it's generally fairly obvious when they mess it up, which they almost always do.

The First Cavalry patch is big, loud, and very clear, so Hollywood wardrobe designers love to put it on everyone's shoulder, regardless of their supposed unit, or even military branch. Whenever you see military uniforms in movies or TV, I can almost guarantee you will see it, especially in things produced before HD was ubiquitous.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:13 AM

there are always open parking spots right in front of where they want to go , even in a place like NYC
Old 01-30-2020, 09:15 AM

How do they get tires to squeal on dirt roads?
Old 01-30-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Military uniforms. Most civilians don't notice or care, but active duty and vets absolutely do, and it's generally fairly obvious when they mess it up, which they almost always do.

The First Cavalry patch is big, loud, and very clear, so Hollywood wardrobe designers love to put it on everyone's shoulder, regardless of their supposed unit, or even military branch. Whenever you see military uniforms in movies or TV, I can almost guarantee you will see it, especially in things produced before HD was ubiquitous.
Unless it's a Special Forces patch because every veteran in a movie or show is now an "Ex Green Beret" because it's an easy shortcut to make him a badass.

And don't get me started about berets... Costume departments usually don't shape the berets so they look like floppy chef's hats.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:44 AM

According to Tarzan movies, Africa is infested with Kookaburra birds.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Two cops going to question a suspect walk up the path to the door with their guns securely holstered. All said suspect needs to do is open the door and shoot both of them. IRL, the guns are out and the cops walk up from opposite sides of the lawn in a "V" formation. If the suspects opens the door holding a gun and turns to shot the one cop, the other one will shoot.

And don't get me started about a person with a gun in a crowd of people and the cop begging him to drop it. Yes, Danny Reagen, I'm talking about you. You say it once: "Drop it or I'll shoot" and if they don't, you do.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 01-30-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
In a similar vein, recent analysis of T. Rex anatomy has paleontologists believing that they couldn't roar but squeaked instead. When I mention this tidbit at the natural history museum I volunteer at, I add that we don't expect Hollywood to change any time soon.

And to add to the conversation, how about the "sching" when a sword is drawn from a leather scabbard?
This isn't only recent. As Goldner and Turner relate, the makers of the original King Kong asked paleontologusts at the American Museum of Natural History what a T. rex sounded like. The reported that the technical reply they got translated as "You idiots! It had no vocal chords! It couldn't roar!" But G & T says that they went ahead and made it roar anyway.

An odd thing for them to say. If you watch the original film, the T. rex doesn't roar! It makes these weird whispery sounds that one of the sound engineers reportedly made:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...d&action=click

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...5&action=click

P.S. -- speaking of T. rex, have you seen the new US Postal Stamps featuring four depictions of the T. rex? There's a cute baby T. rex, just hatched and looking hungrily at an insect. Anmother of the images is a double -- if you tilt it, it changes from a full-bodied T. rex to a skeleton:

https://store.usps.com/store/product...s-rex-S_479204

https://www.livescience.com/t-rex-stamps.html
Old 01-30-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

The old "turn on the radio or TV and instantly get the news story that applies" has been replaced by "turn on the computer and instantly get the web page that applies."
Old 01-30-2020, 10:01 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:

I was watching a rerun of an early MASH episode last night ("The Novocaine Mutiny") and noticed that they managed to get both the patches and the ribbons right on both Col. Potter and the JAG officer from 8th Army Headquarters investigating.

Last edited by silenus; 01-30-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
This isn't only recent. As Goldner and Turner relate, the makers of the original King Kong asked paleontologusts at the American Museum of Natural History what a T. rex sounded like. The reported that the technical reply they got translated as "You idiots! It had no vocal chords! It couldn't roar!" But G & T says that they went ahead and made it roar anyway.

An odd thing for them to say. If you watch the original film, the T. rex doesn't roar! It makes these weird whispery sounds that one of the sound engineers reportedly made:
If I recall G & T's book correctly (I had it as a kid and read it repeatedly until the cover was literally falling off), a different paleontologist told them they could probably get away with various hissing noises for the dinosaurs, which is ultimately what they did.

Even that's a bit outdated, as it relies on the Dinosaurs Are Big Lizards trope, while modern paleontology tends to give greater emphasis to the similarity between dinosaurs and birds.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:28 AM

Whenever a scene is set near a trolley/elevated/cable-car track, there is always a train going by. I remember that, "The Good Wife", while set in Chicago, occasionally showed New York subway cars as that is where it was filmed.

The almost-exception to this rule was, "Sister Act", as there were "J" trolley tracks outside the church on Church Street, San Francisco. While we saw the tracks frequently, my recollection is that the movie was half over before we actually saw a "J" trolley.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:53 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Lord knows I'm not a computer expert. But I'm going to assume that the computer we saw in that office was just part of a network (because if it was a stand alone computer, the hacker would have had to be in the room with them). It connected them, along with dozens or even hundreds of other computers, to a centralized computer where files were stored. The hacker was trying to break into the central records via one terminal and we saw them trying to stop the hacker getting in by typing in commands on their computer.

So all Gibbs did by unplugging their computer was cut them off from the central computer and stop their attempts to defend the files. The hacker was still connected and able to finish his work now that he wasn't being interrupted.
My computer at work is hooked up to a network and I can store information that is accessible from any computer in the network on one of several network drives. I also store things just on the computer that can only normally be accessed from that computer. I took that scene to mean the hacker used the network to backdoor into that particular computer where she was storing information. The hacker would still be in the system but isolating that computer from the network would keep them from getting the information that was stored on that computer off the network.

Quote:
This is the one that makes me crazy. If the police stopped to question me while I was gardening, I'm pretty sure I'd stand up and take off my dirty gloves. But I guess we'll have to see when and if the time comes...

One that makes me crazy is the apparent inability of some writers to figure out how long it takes to go certain places. I saw and episode of X-Files where the timeline showed one character waking in Baltimore at 8:30 in the morning, and next thing you know, it's about 4 hours later the same day, and he's in Rhode Island. Sorry, dude, unless you've got a very fast helicopter in your back yard, that ain't gonna happen.

Similarly, on NCIS, the agents easily drove from DC to Norfolk and back in a matter of a few hours - because there's never traffic in DC or on I-95 or around Richmond, or on I-64 to Norfolk, or in Norfolk itself. Not to mention California writers having characters on the east coast referring to highways as "the 495." Nope, sorry, we don't say that here.

Iíve mentioned this before in similar threads. Often on cop shows they will come to the realization who the bad guy is and that the victim is about to be murdered. They race across town and barely save the victim in the nick of time. This will be in a city like NYC. They would have to go to the elevator, go down to the street, find their car, go through city traffic (lights and sirens donít move double parked cars or help in gridlock), make it to the building, park, go up to the right floor, and find the killer.

Or they could pick up the phone or use the radio to send one of the other 40,000 cops who are probably much closer to go stop the murder.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:27 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Soldiers' gear doesn't clack and rattle while they're marching. This is especially true of their rifles. If they do, they're either not made well or they're poorly cared for, which would earn you a reaming from your sergeant.
I once took my D&D group to an SCA fighter practice - that ended stupid comments like my knight [in full plate armor] sneaks ... =)
Quote:
This is the one that makes me crazy. If the police stopped to question me while I was gardening, I'm pretty sure I'd stand up and take off my dirty gloves. But I guess we'll have to see when and if the time comes...
I had to go down to the cop shop in New London and give a statement about 15 years back. It was nothing like Law and Order or any other show except for Haven - bunch of guys sitting at desks, wandering around with folders of papers, one or two other non police there for various reasons, and really crappy coffee. Quiet, mainly small conversations going on around and keyboard tapping sounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer J. Fudd View Post
About the traffic thing. I really like Bosch because of all the recognizable locations in Southern California they shoot in, but it drives me crazy, the way they just jump in a car in Hollywood and hop on up to Ventura or pop on over to Alhambra, or zip on down to Seal Beach like itís a trip to the corner 7-Eleven. Any of those trips should take half a day in mid-day LA traffic.
US Navy Seals with Charlie Sheen ... nobody would drive from the southern end of Virginia Beach strip to Portsmouth to go over the James River Bridge, to jump into the James River to swim around to the Va Beach shore to get to the Joint Operations Base [called generally the Amphib Base back then] Just like there is no way in hell at a military wedding they would get bride and groom down the aisle just to have them called out ... they would have a basic 'do you ... do you... kiss the bride and sign here' as they have 30 minutes to get back to base, and they were in the base chapel at the time ...*sigh*
Quote:
Or really anything military - mrAru was on the Miami, and a bunch went to see The Hunt for the Red October when they did a revival on the sub base in New London, the commentary was *brutal* and hysterically funny =)
I actually met Tom Clancy at the sub base library when he was doing some research or anther and he dissed me when the librarian pointed me [fat, 40s at the time, female me =) ] as the person he should ask about some detail or another. Psh.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:42 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:

Iíve noticed the 8th Infantry Division patch showing up a lot. Itís my old unit so Iím tuned into it. The unit was deactivated in 1992. Itís probably the same uniforms used over and over in different productions.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

The police do not ask little old snoopy ladies, private investigators, reporters, librarians, or any other group to help them solve murders. After reading a few of these series, Ed McBain told his wife "If I get murdered, don't call Miss Marple. Call the cops." Then he invented the modern police detective novel.

ETA: And most criminals get caught because they are stupid. That goes triple in this day of cell pones and video cameras.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 01-30-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Cops who put their gun down on the ground at the demand of the bad guy who is holding a gun to a hostages head.

If that happened In real life, once the officer put his gun down the criminal would blow his brains out as well as the hostages and then take off running, laughing in morbid disbelief at the stupidity of the cop.

Cops who have been on the force 20 years work 18 hour days, every day, but donít get any vacation days, sick time, personal days, comp time, etc., and only seem to make minimum wage, if that.

TV cops are almost always detectives, contrary to real life.

TV cops who only have to work on one case at a time.

Cops looking for the bad guy holding their pistol pointed straight up in the air.

And the all time champion: cops reading people their Miranda rights immediately, before they even have handcuffs on them. Sometimes while they are fighting with the suspect.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:17 PM

a lot of movies and shows have ex military advisers. Don't they ask them about uniforms? Or do they ask and just not care what the guy says?
Old 01-30-2020, 12:29 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Cowboys back in the day who are exclusively white. Census estimates are that at least 25% were Mexican, black or Native American. Especially in Texas.

Cowboys back in the day wearing modern styles of cowboy hats that weren't developed until this century.

Don't even get us started on things like the "Pioneer Woman's Rifle," which when fired into the air with eyes closed will kill a brave on a fast pony 400 yards away.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:33 PM

Have you ever noticed that when a SWAT or Special Ops team is conducting a raid they all wearing full gear including helmets/face mask except for the main character? The Law & Order franchise is notorious for this; they have a squad of police officers ready to raid an apartment in tactical gear except for the two main detectives who are just wearing their regular business suits. I guess there were just paying Jerry Orbach and Vincent D'onofrio too much money to cover their faces.

Last edited by dorvann; 01-30-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

And the deadly bow and arrows. If one hits any part of your anatomy, you are dead.

And nobody ever bleeds when hit by a gun and/or a bullet. The just drop dead. Unless they are a regular cast member, whereupon there is minimal damage done and they are back on their feet and working next episode.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:51 PM

People on TV almost always use defibrillators incorrectly.

Shocking a patient stops their heart. The idea, as is my understanding, is that you are stopping the heart in the hopes that it will "reboot" itself and beat normally; it is NOT to "jump start" the patient back to life like you would do with a dead car battery.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer J. Fudd View Post
The job of a foley artist is to make things sound the way an audience thinks they should sound; not the way they actually sound. 99% of the audience ďknowsĒ the sound a dropped gun makes from film and TV; not real life, so THAT is the sound that needs to be used.
Yeah, I don't really mind those sounds.

But like the OP, I dislike it when everyone remembers exactly where they were. Some TV shows have moved away from that without dragging out the scene in a boring way at all. It's not hard, is it? They sometimes show that they've already asked the questions and the suspect has looked them up (one example I can think of is in the British TV show Vera where Vera simply sends a junior officer in to get dates from the suspect or witness while allowing them supervised access to their phone to check the dates, off screen, while Vera does something else), or they have the suspect be unsure, and it all makes it feel much more realistic.

It also enables more avenues for characterisation. Some people don't remember where they are ever, showing them as either really busy or really forgetful or just normal depending on how long ago it was, and that could affect how reliable the other stuff they remember is. Someone else might be pretty sure where they were at a specific time because they always went to ballroom dancing classes from 7-9pm on Thursdays in 2003 and don't think they missed any, and it can be checked later off screen. Someone else might suspiciously recall eating a specific restaurant in a specific location at that time several years earlier even though they're not known for having amazing memory skills. Better than having everyone except homeless drug addicts have the same level of recall.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
How do they get tires to squeal on dirt roads?
Driving with 'enthusiasm'. I will assure you, you can get tires to squeal on dirt roads.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:15 PM

I understand that sword fights in movies/TV shows are not going to be exactly like actual historical combat. They're going to last longer and look flashier, not to mention everything they do to keep the actors safe. That's fine, it's more fun to watch than, say, HEMA sparring. But I've seen two annoying things lately. First is the underhand/reverse grip on swords. Just hold your sword the right way, you look like an idiot. Second is that "stance" where the fighter seems to steady the flat of the sword against their forearm, like this shot (bottom left) from The Witcher. I like to call it the please-kill-me guard, because all it does is leave most of your body open and undefended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Have you ever noticed that when a SWAT or Special Ops team is conducting a raid they all wearing full gear including helmets/face mask except for the main character?
Similarly, main characters in medieval/fantasy battle scenes never wear helmets. I get it, anything with full face coverage will obscure the actors faces and make it muffle their speech, but you could at least give them an open faced helmet. While I'm thinking about it, most armor in medieval settings is either wildly anachronistic or overly fantasy-looking. Especially nowadays, when all it takes is a few hours (at most) on YouTube to figure out how it should look.

ETA: "Everyone was always dirty in the middle ages" No, people have known how to bathe forever.

Last edited by Regallag_The_Axe; 01-30-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:17 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Not entirely impossible. Leather scabbards typically have a metal fixture at their top. The sword can drag along that to make the noise.
Not in real life, they didn't. Some fancier scabbards might have had some metal work decoration on the outside, but never in a place where you'd be dragging a sword over it - you'd be blunting the blade every time you drew it.

Along the same lines, nobody ever wore a sword slung over their shoulder.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Driving with 'enthusiasm'. I will assure you, you can get tires to squeal on dirt roads.
You must be joking and that is pretty funny. You are joking, aren't you?
Old 01-30-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Eh, I've made my peace with back scabbards in Hollywood. A proper hip scabbard will swing around, knocking into things and creating discontinuity issues, especially during action scenes. Just strap it to the actor's back and use movie-magic to make look like it's being drawn without issue, problem solved.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bits View Post
Perfect, white teeth in every mouth, no matter when, no matter where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This would have been my "Number 4" if only I had thought of it. This is especially laughable in prehistoric movies and TV shows.

What kind of dental plans did they have in Ancient Rome?
Old 01-30-2020, 01:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
The old "turn on the radio or TV and instantly get the news story that applies" has been replaced by "turn on the computer and instantly get the web page that applies."
Good One! Highly laughable.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
And the all time champion: cops reading people their Miranda rights immediately, before they even have handcuffs on them. Sometimes while they are fighting with the suspect.
[cop finally starts getting the better of bad guy in fight...]
"You have the right..."
[punch]
"to remain"
[punch]
"silent"
[bloodied bad guy now unconscious]

Next you'll be telling me that real cops don't ask if a twitchy suspect "feels lucky".
Old 01-30-2020, 02:07 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Have you ever noticed that when a SWAT or Special Ops team is conducting a raid they all wearing full gear including helmets/face mask except for the main character? The Law & Order franchise is notorious for this; they have a squad of police officers ready to raid an apartment in tactical gear except for the two main detectives who are just wearing their regular business suits. I guess there were just paying Jerry Orbach and Vincent D'onofrio too much money to cover their faces.
Thatís not far fetched. If there is a dedicated ESU team itís unlikely that the detectives will get dressed up in tactical gear. Or even that they have tactical gear. But most likely they will not be near the action and will be called in after the team has secured the scene. They wonít be the first or second guys through the door.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:13 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regallag_The_Axe View Post
Eh, I've made my peace with back scabbards in Hollywood. A proper hip scabbard will swing around, knocking into things and creating discontinuity issues, especially during action scenes. Just strap it to the actor's back and use movie-magic to make look like it's being drawn without issue, problem solved.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Rule of Cool. I don't think most of these flaws actually make a movie any less good, but it's fun to talk about them nonetheless.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:14 PM

Counterexample: in an old episode of Moonlighting, Cybill Shepherd was in a gunfight in a parking garage. Either she or her opponent had a revolver; the other had an automatic. The sound techs had a ping noise for each shell casing the automatic ejected after firing, but no pings for the revolver, which does not eject shell casings. It was a tiny instance of technical accuracy, but it made an impression on me.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:18 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Name Tonto's horse. And Zorro's. And the Cisco Kid's and Pancho's.
Scout, Tornado, I don't know, I don't know. And I used to watch all four shows religiously.

Now I have to look up Cisco and Pancho's horses. In the meantime, for those like me who watched Cisco when it was first run... does anyone else remember what product sponsored it?
I think I remember "the product's" logo being shown over a still shot of saguaro cactus, with a jingle: (female voices singing) "Everybody loves good ____ _____"
Old 01-30-2020, 02:28 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Following up me own self,

Cisco and Pancho's steeds were

SPOILER:
Diablo, Loco

Of course I looked it up. I also learned I wasn't seeing the shows first-run- they were in syndication by the time I was watching them in 1950-56.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:41 PM

For years I rolled my eyes at people who get all worked up over common movie and TV "gaffes." I was always amused by the convenient parking spot and the lack of need for a mouse on computers. I never cared if chase scenes followed the actual geography (although I was impressed when Splash got it pretty much right, so I do notice).

But as I get older and crotchetier, I find myself losing patience with a couple of things.

1) The aforementioned empty coffee cup. I have no doubt that, were I an actor, I would just go over to the craft services table and fill that cup with water. It's not that hard!

2) Car pulls up in front of a house, two cops get out, and one says to the other, "This is [suspect]'s last known address." Didn't the other cop ask where they were going at any point during the drive? Did the first cop say, "I got a lead, but I'm not going to tell you what it is until we get there. Get in the car and don't ask me any questions"?

3) There is no precipitation at all. Then you hear a crack of thunder, and 10 seconds later, it's pouring. Honest to god, I want to make a movie just so I can have a smattering of rain turn into a steady rain and gradually into a downpour, with no thunder at all.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:12 PM

Looking through a set of binoculars do not produce a scene with a pair of magnified round images.

A crappy description, no doubt, but those of who who are annoyed by this will know what I mean.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:43 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Regarding military uniforms - I always yell at the TV when I see military women with their hair down below their collars. I'm pretty sure the rule hasn't changed since I was on active duty, even if it was decades ago. As was mentioned - how hard is it to get that kind of info from an advisor??
Old 01-30-2020, 04:08 PM

The one that drives me nuts is when characters will pose for a picture facing the offscreen photographer then they will show the photo and it is just a freeze frame of our view of the photo taking scene. Instead of a head on shot that the photographer would have seen, they are all facing off to the left. Worst case, they will even physically frame the screengrab rather than a real photograph taken from the perspective of the photographer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
3) There is no precipitation at all. Then you hear a crack of thunder, and 10 seconds later, it's pouring.
This is not at all uncommon in the PNW.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:24 PM

A car related one that I honestly didn't notice until it was pointed out to me, but now I can't not see it. A character is supposed to be driving, in an older car with a column shift, except the gearshift is obviously in park. I know in reality the car is either in a studio in front of a green screen, or strapped to a trailer and being towed around to simulate driving. I guess maybe the car needs to be in park for safety reasons, but I would think they could just tie the car down and put it in drive.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
For years I rolled my eyes at people who get all worked up over common movie and TV "gaffes." I was always amused by the convenient parking spot and the lack of need for a mouse on computers. I never cared if chase scenes followed the actual geography (although I was impressed when Splash got it pretty much right, so I do notice).

2) Car pulls up in front of a house, two cops get out, and one says to the other, "This is [suspect]'s last known address." Didn't the other cop ask where they were going at any point during the drive? Did the first cop say, "I got a lead, but I'm not going to tell you what it is until we get there. Get in the car and don't ask me any questions"?
Similar to this. A couple is out somewhere and has a disagreement, they get in the car and go home. Nobody says a word apparently, until they get to their house and park the car. Then they start talking about the issue.

They have a garage but the residents park their car on the street or even worse, they park only halfway up the driveway (not even right in front of the garage door) and then walk through the yard to get to their house.

When walking into a house, no one shuts the door. They just open it, walk in and do whatever they're going to do next - leaving the door wide open.

There are 6+ people in the family and when they sit down for breakfast there is a little quart-size carton of milk on the table.

They make an elaborate breakfast but the family members eat only a half piece of toast as head off to work/school.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Perhaps I missed it on my first read through, but has no one yet mentioned the all-time classic...explosions and loud noises in space? As you all know, space is basically silent and without air or another medium for sound waves to travel through you won't hear a thing when the planet/star destroyer/space station out the window explodes.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Thatís not far fetched. If there is a dedicated ESU team itís unlikely that the detectives will get dressed up in tactical gear. Or even that they have tactical gear. But most likely they will not be near the action and will be called in after the team has secured the scene. They wonít be the first or second guys through the door.
To clarify, often on Law & Order a guy on tactical gear would ram the door and the lead detectives in their suits would enter first with their guns drawn followed by the SWAT team.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
You must be joking and that is pretty funny. You are joking, aren't you?
Absolutely not. You can make tires squeal on dirt. Been there, done that. Lot's dirt roads in Nevada.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:12 PM

I do have to comment on the parking one, where they always get a perfect parking spot. Do you really want the 20 minute scene looking for a parking spot or walking half a mile to the scene?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk