Old 01-30-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
there are always open parking spots right in front of where they want to go , even in a place like NYC
From The Catalog of Cool (Warner Books, 1982), ed. by Gene Sculatti, pg. 214:

"(to) Kojack (verb): To find a usually unavailable parking space. 'I can't believe it; a spot right in front of the hotel. I Kojacked!'"
Old 01-30-2020, 08:06 PM

When a person is shown talking on the (non-smart) phone and the other person hangs up on this one, this one looks into the phone, every time.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:10 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
This is not at all uncommon in the PNW.
Or in Texas.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:25 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdraw View Post
Looking through a set of binoculars do not produce a scene with a pair of magnified round images.

A crappy description, no doubt, but those of who who are annoyed by this will know what I mean.
No, that's a perfect description. Similar to seeing the magnified image letterboxed by a crude binoculars shape silhouette.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:34 PM

In an action film, our hero sneaks up on one of the henchmen, usually the furthest from the action. Knocks him out, maybe immediately, maybe after some hand-to-hand combat, takes his weapon and whatever else might be useful, and now he's in the game. So why doesn't that first guy ever call for backup?
Old 01-30-2020, 08:55 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

And thus the Evil Overlord List was born.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:11 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
3) There is no precipitation at all. Then you hear a crack of thunder, and 10 seconds later, it's pouring. Honest to god, I want to make a movie just so I can have a smattering of rain turn into a steady rain and gradually into a downpour, with no thunder at all.
Similarly, if its at night in a city, it's always just rained, regardless of location or time of year, so you can get all the cool reflections from the streetlights and neon signs in the puddles.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:31 PM

Racking a pump shotgun or rifle
. Excellent articled titled: Guns for Beginners: Don’t Rack a Shotgun to Ward-Off Bad Guys

These are related to the giving my position away to the bad guy mentioned the link above. Grenades making a hissing sound or emitting smoke when thrown, people standing outside a door or doorway then racking the slide on an automatic or pulling back the hammer of a revolver.

Cocking the hammer on a double action revolver or pistol. Yes, it will make the first shot easier fractionally quicker since the trigger pull will be lighter, but may throw off the second shot since more trigger force is required.

Lasers making any type of sound.

Explosions in space not only making noise, but ignoring the fact that you better be far, far, far away since with in a vacuum, those flying bits of the other spacecraft will keep going with the same velocity it started with for a long, long, long time/distance.

Sticking the barrel of your gun into the doorway so the other person can grab it, knock it out of your hands.

The sound of a bullet ricocheting off almost any surface or causing a spark on metal. Unless itʻs steel jacketed, a copper alloy jacketed or full lead bullet wonʻt make a sound, only deform and a lead bullet definitely wonʻt spark.

Hats, boxes, papers flying when hit bullet. The flying hat was tested on Mythbusters and busted. Even the infamous .50 caliber is still only 1/2" compared to a much, much larger surface area.

Another Mythbusters episode busted the violently flying backwards when shot. Turns [out] the old time Westerns where people just dropped straight down where they were was closer to the truth.

Iʻve always wondered about this one. On police shows, when someone is shot, they quickly announce "Heʻs dead" or just shake their head. Seems to me youʻd ALWAYS immediately call for an ambulance since people have recovered from supposedly fatal injuries.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-30-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
That’s not far fetched. If there is a dedicated ESU team it’s unlikely that the detectives will get dressed up in tactical gear. Or even that they have tactical gear. But most likely they will not be near the action and will be called in after the team has secured the scene. They won’t be the first or second guys through the door.
I once was watching an episode of Agents of SHIELD where a SWAT team is preparing to breach a door where on the other side armed bad guys are waiting. They breach the door and fan out, only for the heroes in ordinary clothes to run ahead of them and start engaging the armed bad guys in hand-to-hand combat. What was the point of the SWAT team anyway?
Old 01-30-2020, 09:51 PM

Images on the computer taking forever to delete with the images shown slowly being broken up or fading away.

Hackers ALWAYS leaving a message saying "Youʻve been hacked!". Yes, ransomware does it, but most viruses and especially malware doesnʻt what you to know theyʻre there.

Live video streams being impossible to trace because theyʻre routed through multiple proxies and/or VPNs. Yep, no lag at all when sending data through multiple (usually overseas) servers!

Every gunshot sounding the same. At least Dirty Harryʻs magnums had a distinctive sound.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
I once was watching an episode of Agents of SHIELD where a SWAT team is preparing to breach a door where on the other side armed bad guys are waiting. They breach the door and fan out, only for the heroes in ordinary clothes to run ahead of them and start engaging the armed bad guys in hand-to-hand combat. What was the point of the SWAT team anyway?
I see this a lot on the shows like Law and Order SVU and Criminal Minds. The SWAT team is fully suited up and the detectives are just wearing bulletproof vests and theyʻre always in the front when it comes to the showdown.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Or in Texas.
Or in Ukraine.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Similarly, if its at night in a city, it's always just rained, regardless of location or time of year, so you can get all the cool reflections from the streetlights and neon signs in the puddles.
Provided courtesy of the "Making Streets Look Like It Just Rained Company."
Old 01-30-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
The sound of a bullet ricocheting off almost any surface or causing a spark on metal. Unless itʻs steel jacketed, a copper alloy jacketed or full lead bullet wonʻt make a sound, only deform and a lead bullet definitely wonʻt spark.

Hats, boxes, papers flying when hit bullet. The flying hat was tested on Mythbusters and busted. Even the infamous .50 caliber is still only 1/2" compared to a much, much larger surface area.

Another Mythbusters episode busted the violently flying backwards when shot. Turns [out] the old time Westerns where people just dropped straight down where they were was closer to the truth.
I was present at the storming of the Russian White House in 1993. I can assure you that rounds fired from AK-47s do indeed make a "BEOWWWWWW!" sound when they ricochet. They also make a "SHWOOOP!" noise when they pass overhead. You can hear them spinning from the rifling in the gun barrel.

I think you underestimate the power of a .50 caliber round. An M2 machine gun is a virtual autocannon that can demolish aircraft and light armored vehicles.

I can also testify to people who are shot dropping like a puppet whose strings are cut. I saw someone sniped in 1993, and that's exactly what happened.

As an aside, I was amazed when Jean-Luc was knocked backward from that huge explosion in the pilot episode of Picard and survived. The shock wave from a blast like that at close range would turn your insides into jelly.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Scout, Tornado, I don't know, I don't know. And I used to watch all four shows religiously.

Now I have to look up Cisco and Pancho's horses. In the meantime, for those like me who watched Cisco when it was first run... does anyone else remember what product sponsored it?
I think I remember "the product's" logo being shown over a still shot of saguaro cactus, with a jingle: (female voices singing) "Everybody loves good ____ _____"
A search turned up these sponsors:

In all his incarnations, The Cisco Kid engendered a lot of collectible memorabilia, though much of it dates to the 1950s. Much of it bore the name of various sponsors, such as Tip-Top Bread paper masks and puzzles, Wrigley's Cisco Kid Signal Arrowhead, Eddy's Bread Humming Lariat, Arden Milk black bandana, Dolly Madison Ice Cream plastic reflective mask, Kern's Bread 'Triple S Club' clothing transfer, Butter-Nut Bread portrait photos, Leatherwood Dairy plastic tumblers, Nolde's Bread store posters, Dr. Swetts Cardboard Clicker Gun, and many other similar products.

I too was born too late to have seen the Kid and Pancho in their original run. It was many years before I understood the "Oho, Pancho!"/"Oho, Cisco!" reference at the end of a Rocky & Bullwinkle adventure.

Last edited by terentii; 01-30-2020 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Military uniforms. Most civilians don't notice or care, but active duty and vets absolutely do, and it's generally fairly obvious when they mess it up, which they almost always do.
The dramatic reenactments in documentaries like the ones they show on the History and H2 channels are the worst offenders. I would be a better technical advisor than the ones they have now.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I’ve mentioned this before in similar threads. Often on cop shows they will come to the realization who the bad guy is and that the victim is about to be murdered. They race across town and barely save the victim in the nick of time. This will be in a city like NYC. They would have to go to the elevator, go down to the street, find their car, go through city traffic (lights and sirens don’t move double parked cars or help in gridlock), make it to the building, park, go up to the right floor, and find the killer.

Or they could pick up the phone or use the radio to send one of the other 40,000 cops who are probably much closer to go stop the murder.
Roughly the same scenario was played out on Doc Martin the other night. The Doc had to stop Louisa from getting on a plane before a blood vessel broke in her brain, so he got the local police officer to drive him to the airport. The whole time I was yelling "YOU HAVE A MOBILE! JUST PHONE THE AIRPORT POLICE AND HAVE THEM DETAIN HER!"

Last edited by terentii; 01-30-2020 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
I once took my D&D group to an SCA fighter practice - that ended stupid comments like my knight [in full plate armor] sneaks ... =)
I was once in the SCA, and armor does indeed make a lot of noise when the wearer moves. Modern soldiers, however, do not.

Last edited by terentii; 01-30-2020 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
Car pulls up in front of a house, two cops get out, and one says to the other, "This is [suspect]'s last known address." Didn't the other cop ask where they were going at any point during the drive? Did the first cop say, "I got a lead, but I'm not going to tell you what it is until we get there. Get in the car and don't ask me any questions"?
COROLLARY: A bunch of astronauts has landed on the Moon or another planet. At some point, we're bound to hear something like "Night up here is two weeks long!"/"The atmosphere outside is poisonous!"/"The surface temperature is cold/hot enough to freeze/melt ____!"/ and so on. Then everybody frowns and nods thoughtfully.

Just once, I'd like someone to say "What?!? Forget that I'm a trained professional with a PhD!!! Why the hell did nobody tell me that before I volunteered for this mission?!?"
Old 01-31-2020, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwgreen View Post
A story I heard about Mr Foley. Kubrick was disgusted with the sound of a marching legion in the film "Sparticus". Foley produced a key-ring full of keys, shaking them to make the sound that Kubrick wanted.

This is why I never really feel good about surround sound. It's all fake anyway.
In the SCA, I heard a fighter trotting in full scale mail. It sounded like a canning factory in full operation.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I was present at the storming of the Russian White House in 1993. I can assure you that rounds fired from AK-47s do indeed make a "BEOWWWWWW!" sound when they ricochet. They also make a "SHWOOOP!" noise when they pass overhead. You can hear them spinning from the rifling in the gun barrel.

I think you underestimate the power of a .50 caliber round. An M2 machine gun is a virtual autocannon that can demolish aircraft and light armored vehicles.
Thank you for the firsthand info. But I wonder if the bullets were full metal jacket vs just lead, which most non-military application ones are.

As for the .50 cal bullet. Powerful yes, but as far as the basic physics of how it acts when it first hits something (assuming a regular full metal jacket), itʻs the same as a .22 short. Bigger bullet, bigger entry hole. What it does as it travels though an object IS different however. But itʻs not like it itʻs shown on TV and movies where papers shred and fly all over the place. If that were true, it should completely shred a paper target, not just just leave a 1/2" hole.

Hereʻs a video a guy shooting a .50 cal into a stack of plates. Nice 1/2" entry hole and they remained in a mostly straight line.

This video is a nice comparison between a .223 vs a .308. Again just a bigger entrance hole.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-31-2020 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=aruvqan;22110042.
I had to go down to the cop shop in New London and give a statement about 15 years back. It was nothing like Law and Order or any other show except for Haven - bunch of guys sitting at desks, wandering around with folders of papers, one or two other non police there for various reasons, and really crappy coffee. Quiet, mainly small conversations going on around and keyboard tapping sounds. ...[/QUOTE]

My cop buddies say that Barney Miller was the most realistic cop show.

Really crappy coffee!
Old 01-31-2020, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cocking the hammer on a double action revolver or pistol. Yes, it will make the first shot easier fractionally quicker since the trigger pull will be lighter, but may throw off the second shot since more trigger force is required.
Not on a DA semi-auto it shouldn't. If it's a traditional action (DA/SA) the second shot should also have a cocked hammer.

Quote:
always wondered about this one. On police shows, when someone is shot, they quickly announce "Heʻs dead" or just shake their head. Seems to me youʻd ALWAYS immediately call for an ambulance since people have recovered from supposedly fatal injuries.
If it's a bad guy you'd first immediately cuff the guy when it was safe to do so, even if it appears he was incapacitated.

I like how nonchalant officers act on TV after they've been in a shooting. They're not shaking like a leaf, they don't lose their sidearm to evidence, they write their own report, it's like it's a common, everyday occurrence. I've been to the aftermath of police shootings. It's nothing like TV.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:57 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
A search turned up these sponsors:

In all his incarnations, The Cisco Kid engendered a lot of collectible memorabilia, though much of it dates to the 1950s. Much of it bore the name of various sponsors, such as Tip-Top Bread paper masks and puzzles, Wrigley's Cisco Kid Signal Arrowhead, Eddy's Bread Humming Lariat, Arden Milk black bandana, Dolly Madison Ice Cream plastic reflective mask, Kern's Bread 'Triple S Club' clothing transfer, Butter-Nut Bread portrait photos, Leatherwood Dairy plastic tumblers, Nolde's Bread store posters, Dr. Swetts Cardboard Clicker Gun, and many other similar products.

I too was born too late to have seen the Kid and Pancho in their original run. It was many years before I understood the "Oho, Pancho!"/"Oho, Cisco!" reference at the end of a Rocky & Bullwinkle adventure.
Well, I was surprised to learn that an early 1950's TV show wasn't first-run.

Sponsors- My crystal clear (but nonetheless still possibly manufactured) memory is... "Everybody Loves Good Weber's Bread!"
Thanks for your response, far more comprehensive than I would have expected.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:21 AM

An EMT (or person with basic first aid training) checking a pulse by putting their thumb on someone's wrist. You have a pulse point in your thumb, and trying to check a pulse that way will register yours instead.

Doing CPR on a non-flat, non-hard surface like a bed results in ineffective CPR.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Lasers making any type of sound.
Laser beams themselves make no noise, but powerful lasers fired in atmosphere definitely make a noise.

Possibly the most accurate laser noise in fiction is therefore the thunder crackling noise produced by the PHOTON MAN cheat code in Age of Empires
Old 01-31-2020, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Well, I was surprised to learn that an early 1950's TV show wasn't first-run.
I think I first saw them when I was in high school, which would have been in the early '70s.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
Not on a DA semi-auto it shouldn't. If it's a traditional action (DA/SA) the second shot should also have a cocked hammer.

If it's a bad guy you'd first immediately cuff the guy when it was safe to do so, even if it appears he was incapacitated.

I like how nonchalant officers act on TV after they've been in a shooting. They're not shaking like a leaf, they don't lose their sidearm to evidence, they write their own report, it's like it's a common, everyday occurrence. I've been to the aftermath of police shootings. It's nothing like TV.
Ahhh..thank you. Forgot about a double action pistol.

Yeah. I get chuckle when on real-life police shows, the cops immediately jump on the suspect even if he/sheʻs shot and theyʻre yelling "Iʻm shot!" and the cops still continue cuffing him. On TV or movies, the suspect is shot and everyone stops moving until someone walks up to them and pronounces their death. Yeah, the bad guys almost always die immediately.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:47 AM
Charter Member

A patient with that very rare blood group AB+ needs a transufion, there's always a race to find an AB+ donor in time.

In the first place, AB+ isn't all that rare, thare's quite a few around, and secondly AB+ is called the Universal Recipient, they can take blood from any ABO group fairly safely.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
This is one more thing that makes Barney Miller the most realistic police show ever broadcast (seriously, several cops have said that). They had two or three episodes in which detectives had to shoot a criminal. All of them were traumatized afterward.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
As was mentioned - how hard is it to get that kind of info from an advisor??
Not hard at all. Caring, OTOH...

The the movie Sweet Liberty, history professor Alan Alda is having his historical novel about the Battle of Cowpens made into a movie. Screen writer Bob Hoskins and director Saul Rubinek are turning it into, "a steamy tale of lust and betrayal, complete with nudity and distortions of historical fact." At one point, Alda objects to a really egregious distortion of what happened. "Hey! It says in the contract I'm supposed to be consulted about historical accuracy!"

"Okay," says Rubinek, "What really happened?" Alda explains, then, "Fine. You've been consulted," and goes back to what he was doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
When walking into a house, no one shuts the door. They just open it, walk in and do whatever they're going to do next - leaving the door wide open.
Our dogs do that all the time.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Labor always starts in a stuck elevator, and takes about 20 minutes to deliver a 20 pound, totally clean newborn with no mess in the elevator, and mother and baby walk out totally fine.

I cannot begin to tell you what's wrong with that scenario.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschrodinger View Post
I've been annoyed by the cup thing, except I have thought of it, and described it, differently. I think it is obvious from how people carry and move covered coffee cups, that the cups are empty. And it may not be a gaffe per se, but it takes me out of the show every time I see someone "drink" from an obviously empty cup. I think it happens far less in movies than in TV shows, so there must be an awareness that it's better to at least put some liquid in the cups to make the actions more natural.
THIS THIS THIS THIS! It's my biggest pet peeve. JUST PUT SOME FUCKING WATER IN THE CUP. AARRRRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!
Old 01-31-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Military uniforms. Most civilians don't notice or care, but active duty and vets absolutely do, and it's generally fairly obvious when they mess it up, which they almost always do.
Quote:
The dramatic reenactments in documentaries like the ones they show on the History and H2 channels are the worst offenders. I would be a better technical advisor than the ones they have now.
The worst offender is Travel Channel's Mysteries at the Museum. They do a good job of researching the historical events. They do a reasonable job of finding actors who resemble the historical people. But you're lucky if the clothes match the right decade. Before the 18th Century, you're lucky if they get the right century. For military stories, they often use high school marching band uniforms. For WW2, they often just use khaki clothes with random bits of metal pinned to the collar. And they often tell stories of the British Army, while showing people wearing U.S.-style chevrons.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:38 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:

Danny Reagan has been in about 100 shootings so it’s old hat for him.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Everyone knows that hacking is just being able to type fast. To stop hacking you have to type faster.
I think this only works if you are sitting in front of one of those special computers that has a built-in projector, to project the screen on your (preferably hooded) face.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
The worst offender is Travel Channel's Mysteries at the Museum. They do a good job of researching the historical events. They do a reasonable job of finding actors who resemble the historical people. But you're lucky if the clothes match the right decade. Before the 18th Century, you're lucky if they get the right century. For military stories, they often use high school marching band uniforms. For WW2, they often just use khaki clothes with random bits of metal pinned to the collar. And they often tell stories of the British Army, while showing people wearing U.S.-style chevrons.
Budget constraints. My friend was a producer on that show. I spent more on catering for my wedding than they spend producing an episode.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
Regarding #3 - I can honestly say I have NEVER heard this foley in all my decades of watching movies and TV.
I looked up "foley" and found it meant a technique used by sound engineers.

But, may I ask what you meant when you said, "I have never heard this foley?"

Did you mean you have never heard the real sound a handgun makes when it falls onto a hard floor in a TV show or movie?

Or did you mean you have never heard someone complain the foley usually employed is not realistic?

Of did you possibly mean something different?
Old 01-31-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
How do they get tires to squeal on dirt roads?
This. Is what I came here to write. Always makes me laugh.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Poker scenes. It often goes like this:

Player one: I bet one hundred. (Throws a chip into the pot)
Player two: I call your hundred (throws chip into pot) and raise you fifty (throws another chip into the pot)

Several mistakes there.

1) String betting. See here for an explanation.

2) Players don't throw their chips into the pot. They place the chips in the playing area in front of them. That way it's clear who has bet what amount. Only when the betting is finished do the chips go into the pot.

3) The raise is too low. Every raise must be at least equal to the previous raise. The minimum raise in the scenario above would be another $100.

So the scene should go:

Player one: "I bet one hundred." (places chip in front of him)
Player two: "Raise. One hundred on top." or "Raise to two hundred" or "I bet two hundred" (places chips in front of him)
Old 01-31-2020, 01:43 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post

Player two: I call your hundred (throws chip into pot) and raise you fifty (throws another chip into the pot)

Several mistakes there.

2) Players don't throw their chips into the pot. They place the chips in the playing area in front of them. That way it's clear who has bet what amount. Only when the betting is finished do the chips go into the pot.

3) The raise is too low. Every raise must be at least equal to the previous raise. The minimum raise in the scenario above would be another $100.

So the scene should go:

Player two: "Raise. One hundred on top." or "Raise to two hundred" or "I bet two hundred" (places chips in front of him)
In the days before Texas Hold em they almost always played 5 card draw. They made it seem like it was a game of skill. The more skillful player won. But unlike hold’em or more so 7 card stud there are no probabilities to master. There’s no math. There’s only thinking “Did he get his cards or is he bluffing?”
Old 01-31-2020, 02:50 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
A patient with that very rare blood group AB+ needs a transufion, there's always a race to find an AB+ donor in time.

In the first place, AB+ isn't all that rare, thare's quite a few around, and secondly AB+ is called the Universal Recipient, they can take blood from any ABO group fairly safely.
LOL mrAru is O neg, I am AB neg. We confused the hospital when I asked if he could be my specific onsite donor if I needed surgery to rearrange my insides [which knock wood I have not yet had to do] They hadn't had anybody ask that in recent memory.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bits View Post
Perfect, white teeth in every mouth, no matter when, no matter where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Similar...so many former super-models in casts.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Several mistakes there.

So the scene should go:

Another one...."But I don't have that much..."

AND??? Bet what you have.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
I looked up "foley" and found it meant a technique used by sound engineers.

But, may I ask what you meant when you said, "I have never heard this foley?"

Did you mean you have never heard the real sound a handgun makes when it falls onto a hard floor in a TV show or movie?

Or did you mean you have never heard someone complain the foley usually employed is not realistic?

Of did you possibly mean something different?

I read it to mean that s/he's never watched a movie or TV show in which someone "someone is shown dropping or throwing a handgun that lands on a hard surface, [and] the sound played is the same as an empty soup can landing on a hard surface."

Can't say as I have, either.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:15 PM

A couple of my favorites have been named, the empty pistol where the slide doesn't lock back, and defibrillating asystole. I'll add how the ridiculously over powered enemy does literally the only thing that won't kill the good guy. The terminator/alien/demon grabs you by the throat, or the ankle and dramatically flings you 20' into something deformable enough to reasonable survive after shaking your head a couple of times like a pro wrestler. They've established that they have enough strength to crush your trachea or snap your bones, and you're a really, really, really important target, but they don't, silly T/A/D.

I will say that I have delivered a baby in the elevator, and they can come out quite precipitously, although there will be blood. OTOH, TV newborns almost never look like real newborns.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:22 PM

The Eternally Open Fridge Door!

Preface: this is to respond to a couple of points from previous comments, plus present a "gaffe" that hasn't been mentioned yet as far as I can see. I'm just doing it as a straight text because I don't want to figure out how to pull multiple quotes.

• I guess by now it's clear that one person's "gaffe" is another person's "reasonable dramatic license".

No disrespect to the various comments about getting military items wrong, but military types are absolutely fanatic about such things. I learned this while perusing IMDb "goofs" and "trivia" entries; almost every movie or TV show involving military culture and weapons has several corrections, often extremely picky, Aspergerish minutiae.

It's one thing to point out interesting stuff, e.g. that a particular weapon actually changes without explanation during the scene, i.e. the character is using weapon X at the beginning of the shoot-out, but at the end is holding weapon Y. That's sort of "gaffe-ish", or at least a continuity error.

But some military-minded nitpickers seem to assume that dramas should apply minute, anal scrutiny to military gear, protocol, weapons, and vehicles-- as if, say (making this up) sleeve chevrons two inches from where they're supposed to be ruins the experience.

• I get the reasons why food is rarely handled realistically: it's technically both risky and boring for actors to actually eat food on set, much less eat a meal as if they were sitting at home or in a restaurant. It's obvious that the food is a prop, and they rely on a generous suspension of disbelief and expect viewers to "pretend" that the use of food is realistic.

But to my mind, this is also lazily or sloppily abused. People are forever jumping up and abandoning fully-loaded plates. I just happened to watch a "Perry Mason" rerun with a scene in which Della Street pours out coffee for Perry and Paul Drake in Perry's office. Just then a call comes in that requires the men to depart, so they instantly jump up and abandon the freshly-poured coffee without even a sip or longing backwards glance.

Damn it, you know Paul Drake, at least, would pick up the cup and drain it before leaving! This could be done without requiring an actor to actually gulp down real hot coffee.

• The one "gaffe" I haven't seen yet is that on TV, refrigerator doors are commonly left open; people open them for some reason, and then just stand there with the door hanging open.

As a kid, in my house it was understood that you open the fridge, get what you need, and close the damn thing. Of course there are times when one is rooting for an item, or otherwise keeps the door open for some practical reason. But in Teeveeland, people just walk away, and those doors just stay open without reason or explanation for the rest of the scene. I always want to reach through the screen and close that damn door hanging open for no good reason!
Old 01-31-2020, 04:30 PM

Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Everybody knows that!
Mr. Jean Shepherd just smiled.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:33 PM

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Everybody knows that!
Mr. Jean Shepherd just smiled.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Another one...."But I don't have that much..."

AND??? Bet what you have.
That's a fine response. It's what side pots are for.