Old 02-01-2020, 06:36 PM

hard rocking songs from bands that surprised you

Following up on my "profound lyrics you didn't expect" post, what bands not known for hard rock recorded a great rocking song?

Victim of Love, and it's the Eagles again. Just a coincidence I assure you, I was listening to a party playlist and it came up. But I will say, in this one instance, Fuck the Big Lewbowski, I like the fucking Eagles.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:45 PM

The chorus for that number doesn't exactly scream hard rocking to me, so I'll go with "Life In the Fast Lane" and "Dirty Laundry", the second one somewhat neutered, admittedly, by the new wavy keyboard line.

"25 or 6 to 4" - Chicago.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Emerson Lake and Palmer are known for some bombastic progressive music, but really rocked on on "Are You Ready, Eddie?," with Emerson in full Jerry Lee Lewis mode.

They also rocked out on "Nutrocker."
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:37 PM

Pat Boone slays with Smoke on the Water
Old 02-01-2020, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Many, many years ago when I first heard "Helter Skelter," I was surprised that the Beatles could sound that heavy.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:03 PM

...and still one of the heaviest and nastiest (good nasty) tunes I've ever heard. I like to think of HS as one of Paul's finest accomplishments - totally showing Mr. Townshend a thing or two on what heavy and noisy actually means. (no - NOT I Can See For Miles, as PT once touted in a BBC i-view, prompting PM to come up with something that ended up trouncing ICSFM.)

Hey Steelers fans - does Styx's Renegade - with the fiery, multiple guitar solos - qualify here?
Old 02-01-2020, 08:20 PM

The Osmonds - Crazy Horses is usually in the discussion on this topic.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:06 PM

Casanova - probably the hardest-hitting song Roxy Music ever recorded. It has sort of a heavy-funk groove. Sick bass part.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
)Hey Steelers fans - does Styx's Renegade - with the fiery, multiple guitar solos - qualify here?
You should hear some of the obscure, proggy stuff on their early albums. Here's a longtime favorite of mine. The length (13 minutes plus) is not a typo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NBZTkPxWek

Most of R.E.M.'s "Monster" album, from 1994, was quite hard-rocking, and one of my all-time favorites, "Departure", came along a couple years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3j8QNtDnLY

And "Animal" a few years after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OGgtLkgcoU
Old 02-01-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
You should hear some of the obscure, proggy stuff on their early albums. Here's a longtime favorite of mine. The length (13 minutes plus) is not a typo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NBZTkPxWek

Most of R.E.M.'s "Monster" album, from 1994, was quite hard-rocking, and one of my all-time favorites, "Departure", came along a couple years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3j8QNtDnLY

And "Animal" a few years after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OGgtLkgcoU
R.E.M. could really rock hard! My favorite rocker is Bittersweet Me.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:16 PM

Herman's Hermits - My Reservation's Been Confirmed
Old 02-01-2020, 11:35 PM

How about "Ridin' the Storm Out" from REO Speedwagon? At least the live version they usually play on the radio - the original recorded version is certainly tamer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2020, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Long Cool Woman by The Hollies. Before that, they were pretty much bubble gum pop singers. I was almost shocked the first time I heard it.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:51 PM

Monkees, "Circle Sky" from the film and soundtrack of 'Head" - the Monkees try proto-punk (the video clip features Vietnam War footage and executions and mannequins dismembered in an early mosh pit...a far cry from cereal promos).

Depeche Mode, "I Feel You," driven by a distorted guitar riff, not a techno/synth sound.

Beck, "Minus" - basically a straight rock song, unlike most of his material.

While Helter Skelter is the noisiest Beatle's song, I always thought "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" was also a "metal-like" song - with its length and meter changes.

Elton John "Saturday's All Right For Fighting" - some of his album tracks are hard rock too, but that song stands out in comparison to his other well-known songs.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:31 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman_southpaw View Post
My entry as well.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:40 AM

The biggest difference in styles that I can think of come from the the Lemon Pipers, best known for their bubblegum singles Green Tambourine and Rice is Nice. But on their albums they really displayed their hard rock side on tracks like the 8 minute Through With You and the 12 minutes Dead End Street/Half Light.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:58 AM

Cheating juust a little bit, Marvin Gaye ("I Heard It Round And Round The Grapevine").

For a highly uncharacteristic low-down rocker, I like Buddy Holly's "Midnight Shift" (especially the Los Lobos version).
Old 02-02-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoltEater View Post
How about "Ridin' the Storm Out" from REO Speedwagon? At least the live version they usually play on the radio - the original recorded version is certainly tamer.

I like, "Don't Let Him Go." Love the intro, the heavy drums, and the guitars are pretty kick-ass. The synths undercut it a bit, but even Van Halen went there eventually.

/I've long favored the studio version of "Ridin' the Storm Out", but I know I'm in the minority on that one.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:

I like, "Don't Let Him Go." Love the intro, the heavy drums, and the guitars are pretty kick-ass. The synths undercut it a bit, but even Van Halen went there eventually.
Here's a live version that, as most live versions do, turns up the energy.

/I love Youtube.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Elton John's live album, 11/17/70, rocks hard from start to finish. He actually did a lot of hard rock in his early albums; he once complained that too many people got the wrong impression of him as a balladeer because of "Your Song."
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
.... he once complained that too many people got the wrong impression of him as a balladeer because of "Your Song."
And Daniel. And Rocket Man. But in reality, he’s just a very diverse musician. Look at the song Madman Across the Water. That’s practically prog rock with a touch of metal.

Neil Diamond tears it up pretty nicely with In My Lifetime. Interesting that he went with such an atypical style for a song where he looks back over his career.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post

Yep. This is the first song/group I thought of as soon as I saw the thread title.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Missed the edit window.

Cher was in a hard rock band back in the late 70’s called Black Rose.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

In the U.S. the group Nazareth only had one hit song, an overwrought remake of the ballad "Love Hurts". It was years before I figured out that a classic rock favorite, " Hair of the Dog" was by the same group, and in fact was the B-side of the Love Hurts single.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Oh, I'd say Nazareth rocks pretty hard on Razamanaz.

The first band that I though of is known for being pretty mellow, but the Moody Blues had some pretty up tempo rockers like Ride My See Saw, Higher and Higher and Question.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:53 PM

Not sure if it qualifies as "hard rocking" but I had to find out for myself that Kenny Rogers recorded this gem: "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)"
Old 02-02-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
In the U.S. the group Nazareth only had one hit song, an overwrought remake of the ballad "Love Hurts". It was years before I figured out that a classic rock favorite, " Hair of the Dog" was by the same group, and in fact was the B-side of the Love Hurts single.
I'd say about 98% of what Nazereth did went for the hard rocking thing, with the odd ballad, like LH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post

The first band that I though of is known for being pretty mellow, but the Moody Blues had some pretty up tempo rockers like Ride My See Saw, Higher and Higher and Question.
"I'm Just a Singer (in a Rock'n Roll Band)" was probably their hardest thing they did.

There was a hard rocking band called AC/DC who did a hard rocking song called Back in Black, which was performed, here, by someone, well, slightly less hard rocking: Wing .
(ok maybe not the most hard-rocking rendition ever performed, however in Wing terms, man - she rips.)
Old 02-03-2020, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The chorus for that number doesn't exactly scream hard rocking to me, so I'll go with "Life In the Fast Lane" and "Dirty Laundry", the second one somewhat neutered, admittedly, by the new wavy keyboard line.
I was going to nitpick that Dirty Laundry is Don Henley solo, but according to Wikipedia it did feature Eagles members on the recording and they do play it as a band in concert so I guess it could also be called an Eagles song. However, it makes the stylistic difference less surprising since it wasn't written as an Eagles song.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
That video is a blast! I don't think their synchronized dancing helps their "rocker" street cred much, but it's fun to watch.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoltEater View Post

"Roll with the Changes" is another great rocker by REO. They took a turn toward a poppier sound on Hi Infidelity, and it worked - that album sold zillions.

Last edited by LLCoolL; 02-03-2020 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
.....There was a hard rocking band called AC/DC who did a hard rocking song called Back in Black, which was performed, here, by someone, well, slightly less hard rocking: Wing .
(ok maybe not the most hard-rocking rendition ever performed, however in Wing terms, man - she rips.)
I'm speechless. I am without speech......
Old 02-03-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolL View Post
I'm speechless. I am without speech......
Too bad Wing isn't.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:00 AM

"Rebel. rebel" by David Bowie is a pretty rocking song from an artist better known for Space Oddity

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-r...ature=emb_logo)
Old 02-03-2020, 09:22 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:

"25 or 6 to 4" - Chicago.
Terry Kath was a monster on guitar. That is not nearly the only song that highlights his incredible work. It wasn’t until after he accidentally killed himself that the band turned completely poppy.

He really should have been as legendary as Duane or Jimi. I believe the only reason why he’s not is because by choice he was in a band where he didn't have to be the focus of every song. Even the ones he wrote.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Many, many years ago when I first heard "Helter Skelter," I was surprised that the Beatles could sound that heavy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncrolecyne View Post

While Helter Skelter is the noisiest Beatle's song, I always thought "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" was also a "metal-like" song - with its length and meter changes.
I'd nominate the B-side single version of "Revolution".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I was going to nitpick that Dirty Laundry is Don Henley solo, but according to Wikipedia it did feature Eagles members on the recording and they do play it as a band in concert so I guess it could also be called an Eagles song. However, it makes the stylistic difference less surprising since it wasn't written as an Eagles song.
The Eagles sound changed towards a harder rock sound considerably with the addition of Don Felder and later Joe Walsh replacing Bernie Leadon. It also played a big part in their break-up.

Speaking of Don Henley's solo material. "I Will Not Go Quietly" on his End of the Innocence album is probably his hardest rocker with backing vocals from Axl Rose.

The thread winner is, of course, Blur's "Song 2"
Old 02-03-2020, 09:52 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

If I was going to choose an Eagles song that was remotely "hard-rocking" it would have to be "The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks" off The Long Run.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Stray Cats Rock This Town was less hillbilly and more hard rock from the rockabilly band.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Casanova - probably the hardest-hitting song Roxy Music ever recorded. It has sort of a heavy-funk groove. Sick bass part.
Wasn't the majority of their material more or less hard hitting, with dashes of glam/art rock?

Too many to name, really -
Out of the Blue
Editons of You
Do the Strand
...quite a few more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I was going to nitpick that Dirty Laundry is Don Henley solo...
I shoulda spotted that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
Neil Diamond tears it up pretty nicely with In My Lifetime. Interesting that he went with such an atypical style for a song where he looks back over his career.
Quote:
I had never come across those numbers before.
Blown away.
Thank-you!
Old 02-03-2020, 10:26 AM

When I first got into Camper van Beethoven, the overall impression was of a laid back, stoner sort of band, with the occasional middle eastern influenced ditty, and songs like the immortal "Take the Skinheads Bowling". Then I heard Eye of Fatima (Part 2) for the first time. Has a slow and easy start, but it builds to an awesome, rocking crescendo.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Hamsandwich View Post
Not sure if it qualifies as "hard rocking" but I had to find out for myself that Kenny Rogers recorded this gem: "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)"
Every once in awhile a deep cut that you've been listening to your entire life surprises you. I would never have guessed that that was Kenny Rogers & The First Edition.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I hate Neil Diamond. I hate, hate, hate Neil Diamond, except for.....

Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show.

Hard rocking!
Old 02-03-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolL View Post
"Roll with the Changes" is another great rocker by REO. They took a turn toward a poppier sound on Hi Infidelity, and it worked - that album sold zillions.
Meh. REO's best rocker was written and sung by the bass player- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQG3vdBcN6g

Last edited by california jobcase; 02-03-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:28 AM

The Osmonds' "Traffic in My Mind" rocks even harder than "Crazy Horses".

I wonder how the older four brothers would have ended up, music-wise, if completely left to their own devices?
Old 02-03-2020, 12:29 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Another Eagles song that rocks out pretty nicely, especially with Don and Joe sharing lead guitar duties: James Dean.

Last edited by blondebear; 02-03-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post
"Rebel. rebel" by David Bowie is a pretty rocking song from an artist better known for Space Oddity

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-r...ature=emb_logo)
"The Man Who Sold The World", the album after "Space Oddity", was almost completely droning hard rock. An unusual transitional album for Bowie. But of course he also rocked hard later a few times, no wonder if you have Mick Ronson in your band.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post

The Moody Blues hardest rocking song is The Story In Your Eyes.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
"The Man Who Sold The World", the album after "Space Oddity", was almost completely droning hard rock. An unusual transitional album for Bowie. But of course he also rocked hard later a few times, no wonder if you have Mick Ronson in your band.
I forgot to put in examples from the album:

The Width Of A Circle

Black Country Rock

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 02-03-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:26 PM

...and along with Suffragette City, another kick-ass Bowie rocker is Look Back in Anger , with its driving, propulsive beat, and searing little guitar peel played in the verses.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Terry Kath was a monster on guitar. That is not nearly the only song that highlights his incredible work. It wasn’t until after he accidentally killed himself that the band turned completely poppy.

He really should have been as legendary as Duane or Jimi. I believe the only reason why he’s not is because by choice he was in a band where he didn't have to be the focus of every song. Even the ones he wrote.
Very early in Chicago's career, Jimi Hendrix actually told Terry Kath, "You play better than I do."
Old 02-03-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
...and along with Suffragette City, another kick-ass Bowie rocker is Look Back in Anger , with its driving, propulsive beat, and searing little guitar peel played in the verses.
Not to forget Queen Bitch from "Hunky Dory", a Velvet underground tribute.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 02-03-2020 at 07:15 PM.