Old 02-03-2020, 08:30 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman_southpaw View Post
I dunno how much I like the song but goddamn, that's a great title.

"Beat It" by Michael Jackson is a pretty straightforward rock song, and even has a guitar solo by Eddie Van Halen.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Stray Cats Rock This Town was less hillbilly and more hard rock from the rockabilly band.
Another example: Rumble in Brighton (studio)

Rumble in Brighton (Concert)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Genesis. This ain’t Invisible Touch

The Knife (live with Phil Collins and Steve Hackett)
https://youtu.be/_YvKoOdP-Wg

The Musical Box (around the 4 minute mark Steve Hackett shows he can play the guitar and Phil Collins turns into Keith Moon on the drums)

https://youtu.be/qJHQj-EEqvg
Old 02-04-2020, 12:40 AM

The mention of Michael Jackson reminded me of this one. “Black Cat” by Janet Jackson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmQ1...t_radio=1&t=29
Old 02-04-2020, 02:32 AM

To (try) to pull a ridiculous coup here - I give you Eric Carmen's Hungry Eyes.
The most anodyne.
Limp.
Pedestrian.
Ineffectual.
El-wimpo-wimpy song ever.
NOT hard rocking.

Yet, consider:

a.) It's Eric Carmen
b.) His previous hit was All By Myself
c.) Almost more than likely - in the wake of widespread ridicule and scorn upon reception of aforementioned puddle - the obese, cigar-chomping bigwigs with their tinted shades and goatees were going "Eric...Eric baby - All this, buzz, we're gettin about you bein a wimp, ya know? They all think you're some kind of putz or somethin. Weak. Weak's no good. Ya gotta...sex it up a little, you know? Make yourself all 'eeeeeehhhhh sexyyyyyyyyyyy', you know? Show'em you're more of a man."

And so, in setting out to make himself more of a man, EC puts out this sexy new song with an accompanying video that depicts him as a pining cuckold to some wild sax-playing lady (who, at one point in the video, mysteriously turns into a different, darker-haired actress) (heh - not sure if that was some sort of continuity glitch or budgeting issue or whatever). But there's drums, and that fiery sax solo, and the way he belts out "makes me feel all, ri-i-i-ight" tells you EC's not messing around here, and so in this context it's way more hard rocking than ABM.

This is my if-Bricker-had-posted-in-CS post.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 02-04-2020 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
Meh. REO's best rocker was written and sung by the bass player- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQG3vdBcN6g
Good choice.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:07 AM

En Vogue. Their Wikipedia entry describes them as "R&B/pop vocal group", and lists their genres as "R&B, dance-pop, pop, funk, hip hop, soul".

But forget all that - and what they look like - and listen to Free Your Mind

Many years ago, I was out in a rock club. The DJ was playing all the usual stuff you would expect - AC/DC, Van Halen, Motorhead, Deep Purple and so on - and in the middle of it all he stuck on Free Your Mind, by En Vogue. Nobody batted an eye and kept on rocking out.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
To (try) to pull a ridiculous coup here - I give you Eric Carmen's Hungry Eyes.
The most anodyne.
Limp.
Pedestrian.
Ineffectual.
El-wimpo-wimpy song ever.
NOT hard rocking.

Yet, consider:

a.) It's Eric Carmen
b.) His previous hit was All By Myself
c.) Almost more than likely - in the wake of widespread ridicule and scorn upon reception of aforementioned puddle - the obese, cigar-chomping bigwigs with their tinted shades and goatees were going "Eric...Eric baby - All this, buzz, we're gettin about you bein a wimp, ya know? They all think you're some kind of putz or somethin. Weak. Weak's no good. Ya gotta...sex it up a little, you know? Make yourself all 'eeeeeehhhhh sexyyyyyyyyyyy', you know? Show'em you're more of a man."

And so, in setting out to make himself more of a man, EC puts out this sexy new song with an accompanying video that depicts him as a pining cuckold to some wild sax-playing lady (who, at one point in the video, mysteriously turns into a different, darker-haired actress) (heh - not sure if that was some sort of continuity glitch or budgeting issue or whatever). But there's drums, and that fiery sax solo, and the way he belts out "makes me feel all, ri-i-i-ight" tells you EC's not messing around here, and so in this context it's way more hard rocking than ABM.

This is my if-Bricker-had-posted-in-CS post.
The subsequent hit "Make Me Lose Control" didn't do much for his image either.

That said, the hardest rocking EC song is by far "Go All the Way" which he wrote and sang while fronting The Raspberries another bubblegum pop-rock band of the 70s.

FTR, my interpretation of the video is that he sees the original girl everywhere he goes, but it's not her.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
"25 or 6 to 4" - Chicago.
Listen to I'm a Man by Chicago. No horns, just one of the best versions of a rock song recorded many times. Southern California Purples from CTA is also a lot different than the usual dreck Chicago put out.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Wasn't the majority of their material more or less hard hitting, with dashes of glam/art rock?

Too many to name, really -
Out of the Blue
Editons of You
Do the Strand
...quite a few more...
Not quite the same. While Bryan Ferry has always been really good at delivering sarcastically derisive broadsides against the subjects of his songs (including himself), Casanova is the only track I can think of where he actually sounds so angry that it's like he's trying to crush you with the heaviness of the song. Actually, that song might be about himself, now that I think of it. Sometimes it's hard to tell.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:42 PM

Metallica was surprised at the hard rocking ability of Jethro Tull.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:13 AM

All points taken.

I usually associate John Waite with his early 80's yearner Missing You, but his previous band The Babys had a real rocker called Head First that I always liked when I was a kid. Admittedly the only other song from that region I know is Back On My Feet Again, which, despite the prominent guitar in the chorus, is waaaaay too wimpifyed by the keyboards and feel-good, almost rehabby lyrics.
But the guitar in the HF chorus, however - epitome of ultra-catchy rockingness.
Can't really bother to go through the JW/Babys catalogue to unearth another possible gem for the OP, so if there actually is one, I'd be curious to hear.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
Metallica was surprised at the hard rocking ability of Jethro Tull.
Phillip J. Fry sees what you did there.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:45 AM

Worth mentioning here are Linda Ronstadt's and Barry Manilow's overtures into new wave in the early 1980s. Huge soft-rock icons of the 1970s, both artists experimented with the then-fresh style of popular music.

"How Do I Make You?", Linda Ronstadt. Surprisingly punky ... sounds much more like something Blondie or Pat Benatar would've put out at the time. This one is a pretty solid tune almost all the way through, but Ronstadt can't resist the urge to show off her pipes with weirdly-placed "woooh!"s throughout the song's final minute.

"Some Kind of Friend", Barry Manilow. I like the synth lines in this one. I also like Manilow's snide delivery. Heard this song for a long time before I learned who the singer was.

Last edited by bordelond; 02-05-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:09 AM
Entangled
Charter Member

Pink Floyd's The Nile Song fits the OP well. It was 'hard rock' almost before the term existed and sounds just as hard today.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I hate Neil Diamond. I hate, hate, hate Neil Diamond, except for.....

Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show.

Hard rocking!
Neil Diamond rocks out on Thank the Lord for the Nighttime
Old 02-05-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
All points taken.

I usually associate John Waite with his early 80's yearner Missing You, but his previous band The Babys had a real rocker called Head First that I always liked when I was a kid. Admittedly the only other song from that region I know is Back On My Feet Again, which, despite the prominent guitar in the chorus, is waaaaay too wimpifyed by the keyboards and feel-good, almost rehabby lyrics.
But the guitar in the HF chorus, however - epitome of ultra-catchy rockingness.
Can't really bother to go through the JW/Babys catalogue to unearth another possible gem for the OP, so if there actually is one, I'd be curious to hear.
The Babys: the other big "rockin'" hit I remember from back then is Midnight Rendezvous. There was a third hit that I don't recall the name of, but it was more of a ballad.

Waite also had another hit from the same album with "Missing You," and it definitely rocks harder: Change
Old 02-05-2020, 06:34 PM

'New Kid in School' by the Donnas. I'd not heard much of them before hearing it and I was shocked by how good they were. An underappreciated song by an underappreciated group.

Last edited by Dark Sponge; 02-05-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
The Babys: the other big "rockin'" hit I remember from back then is Midnight Rendezvous. There was a third hit that I don't recall the name of, but it was more of a ballad.

Waite also had another hit from the same album with "Missing You," and it definitely rocks harder: Change
Change is one of my all time favorite songs. I saw Id's post at work today and was going to add Change when I got home but you beat me. John Waite had some really good stuff.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Change is one of my all time favorite songs. I saw Id's post at work today and was going to add Change when I got home but you beat me. John Waite had some really good stuff.
Huh - never heard either of those tunes before - thanks for posting.
Admittedly, for the Change video, the lip-syncing gal on the building's ledge was maybe a little disrtracting, but the tidy Groucho resolution seemed to work.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Huh - never heard either of those tunes before - thanks for posting.
Admittedly, for the Change video, the lip-syncing gal on the building's ledge was maybe a little disrtracting, but the tidy Groucho resolution seemed to work.
I just checked out the link to "Head First," and I totally remember that song as well! And, found that Babys song I couldn't remember the name of... Isn't it Time
Old 02-06-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer72 View Post
Listen to I'm a Man by Chicago. No horns, just one of the best versions of a rock song recorded many times.
Agreed.

I got three for y'all:

1) Neil Young's "Hey Hey, My My". No mellow country/folk/rock meanderings here. No sir. Just ball-droppingly heavy distortion and intensity.

2) ABBA*'s "I Know There's Something Going On". Phil Collins with the gated reverb crashing, and Daryl Stuermer grinding out a sinister guitar sound.

*Yeah, I know it's only one band member from ABBA (Anni-Frid Lyngstad), but if "Dirty Laundry" can be considered an Eagles song, we can stretch a bit to cover this one as well.

3) Billy Joel's "Close to the Borderline". Yes, that Billy Joel. But this is the hardest tune off the only album of his where he even tried dropping his soft/schmaltz jazz leanings in favor of rocking out. No keyboards! Two guitars (playing off each other in a linked solo)! You'll never hear another Billy Joel tune like this one (it's the only tune of his I can actually stand listening to nowadays).
Old 02-06-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
Agreed.

1) Neil Young's "Hey Hey, My My". No mellow country/folk/rock meanderings here. No sir. Just ball-droppingly heavy distortion and intensity.
But there have always been two sides of the coin with Neil Young: mellow folk/country rock and mind-blasting loud feedback-driven hard rock. I could easily link to two hundred mellow songs and two hundred rockers from his career.

Exempli gratia:

Keep On Rockin' In The Free World, the legendary SNL performance.

I think the reason that most people think of Neil first as a soft rocker is the fact that "Heart Of Gold" was his greatest hit and the only song many people know. But it's far from the truth, Neil Young is a legend of noise rock too.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I just checked out the link to "Head First," and I totally remember that song as well! And, found that Babys song I couldn't remember the name of... Isn't it Time
"Every Time I Think of You" may be remembered by those of us of a certain age. (John Waite: "But maybe I was wrong, not knowing how our love should go." Extremely '70's-sounding female backup singers: "How our love, how our love should go.") It's sort of all over the place in terms of styles. But the fade-out at the end is AWESOME. Fantastic, rockin' horns.

My nomination is an otherwise unknown track by Kansas. Pretty much after most of their hits had passed, Steve Walsh came back to unreplace his former replacement as lead singer, and Steve Morse came aboard as a guitarist for one album. That album ("Power") started off with a tune called "Silhouettes in Disguse" that was designed to show off the new guitar guy and the harder sound he brought. And boy, does it.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
But there have always been two sides of the coin with Neil Young: mellow folk/country rock and mind-blasting loud feedback-driven hard rock. I could easily link to two hundred mellow songs and two hundred rockers from his career.

Exempli gratia:

Keep On Rockin' In The Free World, the legendary SNL performance.

I think the reason that most people think of Neil first as a soft rocker is the fact that "Heart Of Gold" was his greatest hit and the only song many people know. But it's far from the truth, Neil Young is a legend of noise rock too.
Fair enough. (And "Keep On Rockin' in the Free World" is a great tune - I remember jammin' that back when it came out in '89.) However, two stipulations:

1) I will defer to your greater knowledge of Mr. Young's body of work. However, as someone who grew up listening to classic rock radio (before there was "classic rock"), I gotta say that when the DJ's would play some of his other rockers (not the folk/country) stuff, "Hey Hey, My My" stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm guessing that most casual fans would be a bit surprised by the contrast with his other songs that actually got radio airplay.

And for what it's worth, I'm not the only one who has remarked on the tune's distinctiveness. From the Wiki link on the album (Rust Never Sleeps):

"The album is considered a precursor of grunge music and many grunge artists have said they were inspired by Young's distorted guitars on the B side to this album."

2) The OP did specify that they were looking for examples that surprised "you". So while you may not have been surprised by "Hey Hey, My My", I certainly was...
Old 02-06-2020, 04:21 PM

Here's a cheaty example: Ultravox

Link

It's a cheat because Ultravox had a whole different (and to my mind, far better) life before Midge Ure turned up. I don't know how well the early stuff is known now - when I first new them, this is what they were most famous for: Hiroshima Mon Amour.

(Listening to it now, after many years, it sounds strangely reminiscent of "Vienna". How odd.)

j
Old 02-07-2020, 02:44 AM

Some other rockin Niel Young numbers:

When You Dance I Can Really Love
Southern Man
I've always told people that Are You Ready For the Country is the heaviest-ever country song.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer72 View Post
Listen to I'm a Man by Chicago. No horns, just one of the best versions of a rock song recorded many times. Southern California Purples from CTA is also a lot different than the usual dreck Chicago put out.
There was a thread in the past about, "what song do you use as an alarm." Something like that.

I'm a man - Chicago. If you're not awake by the time the guitars hit, you're probably dead/comatose. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvmeEyVd5w8
Old 02-07-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Don McLean is basically a folk singer, but American Pie rocks!
Old 02-07-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sponge View Post
'New Kid in School' by the Donnas. I'd not heard much of them before hearing it and I was shocked by how good they were. An underappreciated song by an underappreciated group.
Yes, but every song by the Donnas is hard rocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb
I'm a man - Chicago.
The original by Spencer Davis (and Steve Winwood) rocks much harder.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 02-07-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:05 AM

Well, this surprised me. I stumbled across a pretty good cover of "Jesus is Just Alright" by the Jay Sekulow band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oh7kchkPNc

Jay Sekulow, if you didn't watch the impeachment trial, is Trump's attorney. I notice that Sekulow does not appear to sing, and that there is a second drummer, and the camera cuts around a lot but never quite lets you see Sekulow do anything intricate, so I'm guessing this is a vanity project where he pays good musicians and singers a lot of money to let him pretend to play.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Pat Boone slays with Smoke on the Water
I waited for the hard rocking, it never came.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:24 PM

I don't know if this is exactly what the OP had in mind, but 'Year of the Knife' by Tears for Fears definitely rocks more than I expected it to. It's in regular rotation on my favorites list.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
3) Billy Joel's "Close to the Borderline". Yes, that Billy Joel. But this is the hardest tune off the only album of his where he even tried dropping his soft/schmaltz jazz leanings in favor of rocking out. No keyboards! Two guitars (playing off each other in a linked solo)! You'll never hear another Billy Joel tune like this one (it's the only tune of his I can actually stand listening to nowadays).
Damn, that really is pretty good. It has a Thin Lizzy / T-Rex vibe, and I dig it totally. If I heard it without context I wouldn't even think it was Billy Joel at all.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
I waited for the hard rocking, it never came.
He didn't even wear his heavy metal outfit.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
As a huge fan of most of Mr. Young's work (thanks to my dad), I agree with you.

The funny thing for me, though? My first exposure to Neil Young was a concert (I don't know if it was a VHS or on HBO or something) during his Trans era. So I saw this short haired mid-30s dude with a vocoder performing "Sample and Hold." So, I was surprised that was the same long haired guy on the cover of my dad's '60s/'70s LPs or the "Rocking" grunge godfather of the late '80s/90s. Mix in Harvest Moon (not Harvest), and if you are familiar at all with his '80s Geffen output you know he was all over the place. In addition to Crazy Horse and CSN/Y, he's done entire albums with Booker T and the MGs, Pearl Jam, his band with Willie Nelson's son, and all kinds of other stuff. he's been all over the place with styles.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
As a huge fan of most of Mr. Young's work (thanks to my dad), I agree with you.

The funny thing for me, though? My first exposure to Neil Young was a concert (I don't know if it was a VHS or on HBO or something) during his Trans era. So I saw this short haired mid-30s dude with a vocoder performing "Sample and Hold." So, I was surprised that was the same long haired guy on the cover of my dad's '60s/'70s LPs or the "Rocking" grunge godfather of the late '80s/90s. Mix in Harvest Moon (not Harvest), and if you are familiar at all with his '80s Geffen output you know he was all over the place. In addition to Crazy Horse and CSN/Y, he's done entire albums with Booker T and the MGs, Pearl Jam, his band with Willie Nelson's son, and all kinds of other stuff. he's been all over the place with styles.
So true. If I may brag a bit, I saw him live with Booker T And The MG's on his very short European festival tour in 1993. It was fantastic and is one of my dearest musical memories.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:42 AM

Quote:
R.E.M. could really rock hard! My favorite rocker is Bittersweet Me.
I'm not a huge fan of REM, but I dig the shit out of "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?".

That song rocks.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

While I won't label Bruce Springsteen a hard rocker, the song Born in the USA certainly qualifies.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:33 AM

Saw Ambrosia open for Doobie Brothers and most of their songs were nothing like their hits. They were much more rocking and they were very good.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
I'd nominate the B-side single version of "Revolution".
Ha, look at Paul playing with a pick. I know he did/does/will sometimes but I haven’t seen that in a while. Great tune and even better lyrics.

Wikipedia sez this about Revolution:
Quote:
When released in August, the song was viewed by the political left as a betrayal of their cause and a sign that the Beatles were out of step with radical elements of the counterculture.
Interesting that Hendrix sang “If all the hippies cut off all their hair, I don’t care” a year earlier.

Last edited by jerez; 02-11-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
While I won't label Bruce Springsteen a hard rocker, the song Born in the USA certainly qualifies.
I have to confess that I'm gobsmacked by this comment.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Pink Floyd's The Nile Song fits the OP well. It was 'hard rock' almost before the term existed and sounds just as hard today.
This was going to be my contribution. It's really jarring on "Relics", as it doesn't really fit in with the rest. At least on the same original album there's Ibiza Bar which is very similar.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
The Moody Blues hardest rocking song is The Story In Your Eyes.

I saw the Moody Blues live in 1992 at the Orpheum Theater in Minneapolis (This one, as a matter of fact).

Great energy throughout the concert, and the entire theater was on their feet, clapping, and singing for the last three songs. The *entire* theater. My Metallica fan buddy, who was skeptical prior to the concert, said at the time that it was one of the best concerts he'd been to.

The Moody Blues can most certainly rock.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

Indigo Girls - two mellow folkies with acoustic guitars, right?

Ha!
"Compromise"
"Cut It Out"
"Go"
"Rock and Roll Heaven's Gate"
"Trouble"
Old 02-16-2020, 03:53 AM
Charter Member

Funkadelic - "Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock?"
Old 02-16-2020, 11:46 AM

Brandi Carlile, known for The Story, The Joke, writing and producing Tanya Tucker's Bring My Flowers Now, has this offering Mainstream Kid.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Dixie Chicks - "Lubbock or Leave It"

As I'm getting out I laugh to myself
'Cause this is the only place
Where as you're getting on the plane
You see Buddy Holly's face
Old 02-16-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Damn, that really is pretty good. It has a Thin Lizzy / T-Rex vibe, and I dig it totally. If I heard it without context I wouldn't even think it was Billy Joel at all.
My "Billy Joel not sounding like Billy Joel" song has to be "Laura." Only partially because he drops an F-bomb.

Last edited by Superdude; 02-16-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:02 PM

I know Stevie Ray Vaughn was a hard rocking blues guitarist, but this tune deserves honorable mention here...for a studio cut, this just smokes -each solo is harder than the previous. Turn it up...

SRV - Tightrope

Last edited by Mixolydian; 02-17-2020 at 12:02 PM.