Old 02-02-2020, 09:03 AM

What's so great about current Hollywood movies?

Iím being serious. I was talking to a young co-worker recently and we started talking about movies and I didnít know a thing about 90% of what he was talking about since I havenít watched a Hollywood movie in years. To be clear, I define watching as sitting down and intently paying attention, not just having the movie on and glancing at the screen every few minutes at most.

My co-worker said he was going to see Bad Boys 3 that weekend, but come Monday, when I asked him how it was, he just muttered that it was okay and nothing more. I didnít watch a movie last weekend, but I could talk enthusiastically about the Asian variety shows I did watch if asked. And one of the shows I watch rarely has a clunker episode.

Which got me to wondering, am I really missing anything? Yes, I know individual tastes vary and thereís good and bad movies from any country, but on the rare occasion I see a movie trailer on TV (I watch mostly specialty channels like Food Network, Discovery and History), thereís nothing compelling to me.

The last Hollywood movie I know I watched is Despicable Me (2010) in the theater while my car was being serviced. And the only Hollywood movie I have in my viewing queue is Christopher Robin, which I got months ago.

I have zero interest in super hero movies which seems to be all the rage now. Same with the majority of sci-fi movies which play too loosely with the realities of science. While a drama or comedic movie may have some appeal, I know (at least from past experience) that 95% of the time, there will be a known beforehand happy ending which to me is boring. Horror movie trailers sometimes look interesting, but at least from what I see, thereís nothing truly new. I do like some animated Disney movies (I do watch Disney and Nick TV shows), but have no interest in live action remakes.

While an argument could be made that proof of the popularity and quality of Hollywood movies is their popularity overseas, especially in China, I would argue that since many times the movies are dubbed, IMO, ~30-40% of the movies artistry is lost by the replacement voice actors, no matter how good they are. And if the movie is subbed, thereís the issue of losing part the visual aspect while reading the subs and the lack of accuracy in the translation. Iíd give the retained artistry of subbed movies 80-90%.

Ahhh...you say. So if you fully understand English, you're able to get 100% of the benefit of the artistry of the movie. But the question comes back to: What artistry? Do Americans watch Hollywood movies because they're good or because they're there? Is 100% of fair to good better than 80-90% of very good to excellent?

To be clear, there are good number of Hollywood movies I enjoy, but those are largely pre-early 2000ís when I largely stopped watching those types of movies.

So back to the subject lineÖWhatís so great about current Hollywood movies?

Last edited by lingyi; 02-02-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:47 AM

Wow. You rarely see a post that cries out for the response of "OK, boomer" as much as that one. Anyway, people like what they like. Get over it.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
Anyway, people like what they like. Get over it.
No, this is a lazy, boring response that completely ignores the importance of art and creativity to humanity.

If you like something, there is a reason you like it, not just people like what they like. If you dislike something, thereís a reason you dislike it.

That attempt to bridge that gap with conversation, analysis, introspection, argument, etc., is what makes art interesting.

And it completely ignores the fact that people can learn from other people. You can learn that are reasons to like or dislike something that you hadnít considered. The ability to learn is our chief virtue as humans.

So disagree. But not this dismissal of the question. That ďget over itĒ response is vile and dehumanizing.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:12 AM

I don't really get the question. Did you enjoy Hollywood movies before? Because they're still making them now. Yes, there's superhero movies but it's not as though they stopped making dramas or romances or war movies or other genres. Add in the movies being made direct for streaming services and there's tons of options. Just because your coworker made a bad pick last weekend doesn't really mean much. They made lame movies in every other year as well.

Did you just never like movies or are you suggesting that now movies are different?

Edit: I see you say you watched movies pre-2000s but, again, the 90s had a ton of shitty movies. And some really, really good ones. So what are you suggesting changed that now nothing can compete with the Food Network?

Last edited by Jophiel; 02-02-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Ford v Ferrari, The Irishman, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Little Women, Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood, Marriage Story, Parasite, and 1917 are the nine nominees for Best Picture this year. If you want to see a bunch of fairly good movies made recently, just watch these. Except for Joker (and only that in a very vague way), none of them is a superhero film. Are they great films? Well, I don't consider any of them to be one of my 100 favorite movies (and the list of my 100 favorites includes films from 1931 to 2015). So what? Great movies are distributed fairly randomly over time, and the fact that none of my favorites (and let me emphasize that there are my favorites, not everyone's) doesn't include any made since 2015 doesn't prove much of anything.

The fact that you ask specifically about superhero movies suggests to me that you're really asking about blockbuster movies. If you only go to blockbuster movies, what you will see isn't the best movies of the year. What you will see are those that studios spent a lot of money promoting. There are always very good movies each year (but rarely great movies). If you rarely see movies in theaters, you're probably not watching very many movies each year. If you rely on recommendations from friends who think Bad Boys 3 is one of the best movies made recently, you probably won't see many good movies. There are a number of movie rating services online - Internet Movie Database, Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, and Fandango, for instance. Do you regularly read a newspaper that has movie reviews? Relying on what movies advertise on TV or whatever isn't a good way to pick the best films.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
No, this is a lazy, boring response that completely ignores the importance of art and creativity to humanity.

If you like something, there is a reason you like it, not just people like what they like. If you dislike something, thereís a reason you dislike it.

That attempt to bridge that gap with conversation, analysis, introspection, argument, etc., is what makes art interesting.

And it completely ignores the fact that people can learn from other people. You can learn that are reasons to like or dislike something that you hadnít considered. The ability to learn is our chief virtue as humans.

So disagree. But not this dismissal of the question. That ďget over itĒ response is vile and dehumanizing.
"Hollywood movies aren't as good as the shows I watch and why are people watching them anyway?" hardly qualifies as an analysis of artistic merits. Hell, it barely qualifies as conversation.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:47 AM

1917 is good and the filming is great , done by Roger Deakins who is probably the top guy working now. He's won an Oscar and was nominated 12 times including for 1917

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 02-02-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
"Hollywood movies aren't as good as the shows I watch and why are people watching them anyway?" hardly qualifies as an analysis of artistic merits. Hell, it barely qualifies as conversation.
So do better than that. The answer you gave was worse.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:18 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
So back to the subject lineÖWhatís so great about current Hollywood movies?
Depends which ones you're talking about. "Hollywood movies" isn't one kind of movie. It runs the gamut from sci-fi action spectaculars to intense thrillers to period dramas. Which ones are you asking this question about?

Wendell Wagner has named all the Best Picture nominees, most of which are Hollywood productions ("Parasite" is not.) "Ford Vs. Ferrari" is a tremendous film that features wonderful acting, outstanding character study, and a fascinating look at a period of the history of the automobile; I have zero interest in auto racing or cars in general but I loved the film. (I took my 72-year-old Mom to see it, actually, and she loved it too.) "The Irishman," though I generally did not like it, is certainly a showcase of outstanding acting. "Little Women" is a magnificent character-driven film and perhaps the best adaptation of a beloved literary classic. "1917" is a brilliant work of cinema from the perspective of technical filmmaking. "Marriage Story" is a simple film; not a special effect to be seen, but just a timeless story extremely well told.

I mean, that's just from one year. In the last five years, Hollywood and its satellites in the USA have produced any number of films of utter brilliance; Moonlight, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Gravity, Get Out, Dunkirk, Call Me By Your Name, Inside Out, The Revenant, Lady Bird, all different and all offer something wonderful.

If movies aren't your thing, that's okay, of course.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

There are still plenty of good films written for adults, but they are not as popular as sequels and superhero films.

The sequel/superhero film boom is easily explained: movies are expensive to make. So to protect their investment, studios need to stick with something that has a solid audience. Thus superhero films and remakes/sequels, since they are easier to promote. You just have to mention their name. Superhero films also have spectacle that looks better on a movie screen than on the biggest of TV screens.

So most of studios efforts go into that sort of film because it's more of a sure thing (even if it costs more).

At the same time, even a remake can be an excellent movie (e.g., Little Women). It depends on what's being remade.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
So do better than that. The answer you gave was worse.
And you've done nothing but whine about that. How is that an improvement?
Old 02-02-2020, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And you've done nothing but whine about that. How is that an improvement?
I believe I'm making a valid criticism of an invalid attitude I've seen expressed on these boards. It's an attempt to make things better here. If I can plant a seed of doubt the next time someone is tempted to express this anti-knowledge, pro-ignorance attitude, I consider it an improvement.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:49 AM

Watch movies from the 1930-70s, blockbusters and not so blockbuster, from all over the world.... 99% of movies made in my lifetime suck. Awful writing, acting stinks, trivial and stupid.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I believe I'm making a valid criticism of an invalid attitude I've seen expressed on these boards. It's an attempt to make things better here. If I can plant a seed of doubt the next time someone is tempted to express this anti-knowledge, pro-ignorance attitude, I consider it an improvement.
Well, as it happens I'm really tired of the attitude of "How can people like something I don't care about???" that I see ten times a week on here.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Well, as it happens I'm really tired of the attitude of "How can people like something I don't care about???" that I see ten times a week on here.
Still not a good reason for your condescension.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's an admission of ignorance and an invitation to offer new perspectives. It's an opportunity to open a conversation.

It's also a very natural starting point. If I dislike something that other people like, I can't help but wonder what they like about it.

If then that person ignored every attempt at an explanation, that would show an unwillingness to actually learn or a lack of interest in an earnest response. But as an OP, it's a fine starting point.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
It's an admission of ignorance and an invitation to offer new perspectives. It's an opportunity to open a conversation.

It's also a very natural starting point. If I dislike something that other people like, I can't help but wonder what they like about it.

If then that person ignored every attempt at an explanation, that would show an unwillingness to actually learn or a lack of interest in an earnest response. But as an OP, it's a fine starting point.
Itís hard to take seriously the OPís claim of not liking current movies when he states this:
Quote:
I havenít watched a Hollywood movie in years.
A better topic probably would have been ďam I missing something by not watching modern Hollywood movies?Ē
Old 02-02-2020, 12:32 PM

How about a link to these amazing variety shows so we can decide for ourselves?
Old 02-02-2020, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Itís hard to take seriously the OPís claim of not liking current movies when he states this:

A better topic probably would have been ďam I missing something by not watching modern Hollywood movies?Ē
Regardless of how wrong you think the OP might be, the response "People like different things. Get over it." is worse.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Wow. You rarely see a post that cries out for the response of "OK, boomer" as much as that one.
No, if you pay attention to his posting history, it says more "okay bigot." I knew before opening the post that he would be making the point that the only good media is Asian media, because he is always posting about that. (He was more subtle about it in this OP than I expected.)
I watch a lot of Japanese/Chinese/SK media, too, and as a whole it is not deeper, more sophisticated, more subtle, or more scientificly accurate than Hollywood movies/TV shows. The endings are as predictably happy. The science is as predictably bad. The stories tend towards sappy, heavy-handed melodrama. Asian media falls as heavily under Sturgeon's law as that from America or any other country. The claim otherwise is a form of "I don't even own a TV"ism.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:37 PM

The OP’s TV preferences suggest to me that he may just not have the same appreciation for fiction he might have once had. I know a lot of people like that. Also no era of movie making will ever be as good as it was when you were 15.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Telperion, Acsenray, I'm having trouble believing that even you two are interested in the conversation you're having. Maybe take some wisdom from one of the great Hollywood heroines of our time, HRH Elsa?

For myself, I don't get a chance to see a lot of movies in the theater, and when I do, it's generally with my kids, so I'm seeing a lot of Disney stuff. It doesn't really move me, but it does pass the time. But we recently saw Knives Out, which was a thoroughly delightful, thoroughly Hollywood movie. It seems to me that, as always, Hollywood is motivated by the same profit motive that is behind Silicon Valley and Detroit and every other industry. The diamonds will always be hidden among the rough.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post

Yes! That's actually what I had in mind, but fell out of my mind while composing my post.

Of the films listed as Oscar nominated, I find Jojo Rabbit, The Irishman and 1917 interesting and possibly being put on my watch list. The others definitely don't pique my interest.

Ironically, Parasite is a Korean movie that I will definitely watch since it falls into my interest wheelhouse, even if for nothing else than being a Korean movie.

As I stated, the scope of my exposure to Hollywood (I purposely didn't state American or Western movies, which is much larger) movies is extremely limited to what I see as trailers on TV. I suspect it's a combination of age (seen that) and interest in Asian movies that has limited what strikes me as "Wow, I really want to see that!".

I'm glad to hear Hollywood, as a very open, generic term is still capable of producing/introducing quality movies that I may consider watching. I definitely won't see them in the theater (I was told that even a matinee is $12 now!), but may search them out on streaming sites. I was seriously under the impression (because of my limited exposure), that it was all super heroes, sci-fi and sequels to sequels now.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:55 PM

I don't like certain characteristics of flims made in the last 20 years and I often complain, to myself mostly, about how things are changing, nothing's any good any more, etc. But I usually come to my senses and remember that during those 20 years a few great films were released each year.

In fact, some of the great films from the past haven't aged all that well, insofar as pacing, development of the story, credibility of the dialogue, skill of actors, etc. So, although I think filmmaking has actually gotten better, I still generally prefer older flims.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
No, if you pay attention to his posting history, it says more "okay bigot." I knew before opening the post that he would be making the point that the only good media is Asian media, because he is always posting about that. (He was more subtle about it in this OP than I expected.)
I watch a lot of Japanese/Chinese/SK media, too, and as a whole it is not deeper, more sophisticated, more subtle, or more scientificly accurate than Hollywood movies/TV shows. The endings are as predictably happy. The science is as predictably bad. The stories tend towards sappy, heavy-handed melodrama. Asian media falls as heavily under Sturgeon's law as that from America or any other country. The claim otherwise is a form of "I don't even own a TV"ism.
Ha! I mentioned Asian cinema in my last post!

I take offense to the term "okay bigot", but am definitely biased against general Hollywood fair because of the general lack of quality I've been exposed to in my limited sphere of exposure and am genuinely curious as to what I may be missing.

As for "...the only good media is Asian media", it's something that's held my interest for the past few decades and I continue to find something different in them that I don't "think" I'll find in mainstream Hollywood productions. Yes, there's dross, but IMHO, far less than what I "believe" is be produced by Hollywood.

My tastes and have changed over the years and I'm curious if I will find something to change my taste and opinion again of Hollywood productions.

As Elmer J. Fudd stated, I probably am jaded because at a fast approaching 60, I feel I've seen and experienced much of what I see presented in the short snippets of current movies shown on TV. Particularly when I see Terminator whatever when the franchise and actors,IMHO, hit the peak at Terminator 2.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:50 PM

So what is your position on 2019's The Wandering Earth? On the one hand, it is Asian and a massive hit, but on the other it is Science Fiction with really, really, really bad science. See it, or not? (I personally skip most SF movies these days--including TWE--because of the really, really, really bad science, but I did like this 2019 Chinese SF movie with really, really, really bad science.)
Old 02-02-2020, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I take offense to the term "okay bigot", but am definitely biased against general Hollywood fair because of the general lack of quality I've been exposed to in my limited sphere of exposure and am genuinely curious as to what I may be missing.

As for "...the only good media is Asian media", it's something that's held my interest for the past few decades and I continue to find something different in them that I don't "think" I'll find in mainstream Hollywood productions. Yes, there's dross, but IMHO, far less than what I "believe" is be produced by Hollywood.
So you're prejudging Hollywood films without having seen any recent ones? Doesn't that strike you as silly as an American dismissing all Asian films as just martial arts action films and Bollywood musicals?

And yet, despite being this huge fan of Asian film, you still haven't seen Parasite? It's made over $33 million at the US box office and it's now available on DVD and streaming.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:58 PM

I made a point of watching most of the nominees for Best Picture Oscar in 2015, and repeated this again in 2016. Of all of these, I didn't notice a single film I'd give B+ to, let alone might consider for my personal Top 100.

There were some films I liked in 2006 (The Departed, The Prestige, Casino Royale). Not quite in the same league, but perhaps the best movie since 2006 is No Country for Old Men (2007). I'm looking forward to watching Joker, but usually do not like the superhero/action genre so dominant today.

Yes, I'm a Boomer. Get off my lawn!
Old 02-02-2020, 02:03 PM

FWIW, here are some lists of movies since 2010. I dare you to lump them all together into sameness.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Wendell Wagner @#5: Your list of favorite movies runs between 1931 and 2015?

God dammit, with Eve gone for so long I figured I had silent movies in common with YOU, at least.

I’m just finishing a pretty good 1993 biography of Lon Chaney, and plan to break out my DVD of The Penalty (1920) tonight. Lon’s an anarchist San Francisco crime boss with no legs.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:09 PM

@Darren Garrison and Dewey Finn

I have thousands of Asian movies and working my way through them, stockpiling most of them for my retirement. I tend to watch in binges by the actress or director who piques my interest at the moment, not what's newest. I haven't been in the mood to sit through a full movie in a while, mostly watching only variety shows and single episode specials. At other times, I'll go through 3-4 movies in a day for multiple days or weeks when I'm on vacation.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:09 PM

I'm sorry, but 1917 didn't live up to the hype for me. Yes, realistic visuals and the whole arty filmed in one shot stuff, but it had a video game plot and no character development at all. Like most "serious" Hollywood movies today. There were two by the book "emotional" scenes, and the rest were an increasingly implausible journey of one on one fights with single enemy soldiers and one woman and baby thrown in for, I dunno, pathos or something.

Movies for me ended with the Twentieth Century, Fox and all.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I was seriously under the impression (because of my limited exposure), that it was all super heroes, sci-fi and sequels to sequels now.
Quote:
As for "...the only good media is Asian media", it's something that's held my interest for the past few decades and I continue to find something different in them that I don't "think" I'll find in mainstream Hollywood productions.
I know it's an easy thing to say "Hollywood is all superheroes and reboots" but I can't imagine actually, truly, believing it unless you make a conscious effort to stay uninformed. There's regular threads about new movies, talk among the population, articles, social media, etc.

That said, if you're comfortable watching Asian movies and gardening shows, have at it. If you want to see what's buzzing as good from Hollywood, it's not as though you have to work hard to found a source (for either news or for the movies themselves). I'm still not really sure where to go with "A coworker saw a movie he didn't really like and I haven't seen a new movie since 2000 so I guess Hollywood sucks now".
Old 02-02-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I'm looking forward to watching Joker, but usually do not like the superhero/action genre so dominant today.
Well since Joker is not either a superhero or action movie, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
FWIW, here are some lists of movies since 2010. I dare you to lump them all together into sameness.
If the top 100 movies you linked to, I've heard, seen trailers for less than half of them.

Of that half, I watched and enjoyed, Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It Ralph.

I tried watching because it was on TV or streaming, Inside Out, Black Swan, Coco, Toy Story 3, Toy Story 4, How to Train Your Dragon, The Lego Movie, Frozen, Looper and couldn't get through more than 15 minutes.

Remakes or sequels that I have no interest in, Django Unchained (plus I can't stand Jamie Foxx), Mad Max: Fury Road, True Grit, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Rouge One: A Star Wars Story, Star Trek Into Darkness, Mission Impossible - Fallout (watched 15 minutes of the original and gave up), War for the Planet of the Apes, Incredibles 2 (saw the original and meh), John Wick 2, Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens (never seen any of the movies), True Grit.

BTW, I refuse to watch the Korean version of A Better Tomorrow because the original Chinese version was perfect and no one in the world will ever replace Chow Yun Fat!

Super heroes - Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, XMen: Days of Future Past, The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, Logan, Captain America: Civil War Spider Man: In the the Spider-Verse, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Endgame

Last edited by lingyi; 02-02-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
If the top 100 movies you linked to, I've heard, seen trailers for less than half of them.

Of that half, I watched and enjoyed, Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It Ralph.

I tried watching because it was on TV or streaming, Inside Out, Black Swan, Coco, Toy Story 3, Toy Story 4, How to Train Your Dragon, The Lego Movie, Frozen, Looper and couldn't get through more than 15 minutes.

Remakes or sequels that I have no interest in, Django Unchained (plus I can't stand Jamie Foxx), Mad Max: Fury Road, True Grit, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Rouge One: A Star Wars Story, Star Trek Into Darkness, Mission Impossible - Falloutt (watched 15 minutes of the original and gave up), War for the Planet of the Apes, Incredibles 2(saw the original and meh), John Wick 2, Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens (never seen any of the movies), True Grit.

I refuse to watch the Korean version of A Better Tomorrow because the original [edit: Hong Kong] version was perfect and no one in the world will ever replace Chow Yun Fat!

Super heroes - Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, XMen: Days of Future Past, The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, Logan, Captain America: Civil War, Spider Man: In the the Spider-Verse, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Endgame

Last edited by lingyi; 02-02-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:46 PM

The explanation I've read is that Hollywood directors and studios, by and large, tend to be conservative (not as in politically conservative, but as in risk-averse.) They don't want to pitch a radical new idea and lose $200 million making it if it's a flop. They'd rather continually reboot and sequel even if that staleness and trite-ness itself risks audience backlash. There's always more safety in the boardroom by erring on the side of boring caution than being an exciting risk-taker.

The only thing that will shake this up is either a movie director who achieves tremendous, repeated success by continuously going outside the box, or some creativity-starved billionaire to step in and fund movies saying, "We need something other than same old same old and I'm willing to eat any $$$ loss to make it happen."
Old 02-02-2020, 02:47 PM

The explanation I've read is that Hollywood directors and studios, by and large, tend to be conservative (not as in politically conservative, but as in risk-averse.) They don't want to pitch a radical new idea and lose $200 million making it if it's a flop. They'd rather continually reboot and sequel even if that staleness and trite-ness itself risks audience backlash. There's always more safety in the boardroom by erring on the side of boring caution than being an exciting risk-taker.

The only thing that will shake this up is either a movie director who achieves tremendous, repeated success by continuously going outside the box, or some creativity-starved billionaire to step in and fund movies saying, "We need something other than same old same old and I'm willing to eat any $$$ loss to make it happen."
Old 02-02-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Ukulele Ike, I just looked at my list of my favorite 100 films again and noticed that in fact there is one film from 1930 (All Quiet on the Western Front) and one film from 1931 (M). There are seven other films from the 1930's. So none of my 100 favorite films are silent ones, but there are some silent films that are just outside of my top 100. I've seen a lot of films (probably more than 3500), so it's not really surprising that nothing before 1930 happens by chance to not be among the top 100.

lingyi, give us a list of some older films you liked. You give us a long list of fairly recent films you don't like. I'd like to know what you do like.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:20 PM

Non-Asian films that I have in my collection that I would take the time to set up and watch, in no particular order:

The Endless Summer
Rollerball
Walkabout
Repulsion
Knife in the Water
Jesus Christ Superstar
Big Trouble in Little China
Blow-Up
Easy Rider
Two Lane Blacktop
Wizards
Vanishing Point
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Christopher Robin
(at least once when I get around to watching it)

Films that I'll drop what I'm doing and sit down and watch if it's on TV or switch to streaming if there are commercials in the TV version:

Escape from New York
The Andromeda Strain
Naked Prey
The Great Escape
The Green Berets
Caveman

Films that I'll half watch when they show on TV:

Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2
Up!
Big Hero 6 (but not the series)
Wreck-It Ralph
Wreck-It Ralph 2
(Oh, forgot about this, have to find it and watch it!)

There's more that I can't think of off the top of my head, but not a whole lot.

Last edited by lingyi; 02-02-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

O.K., that's 26 movies in the past 60 years. It seems to me that you aren't really a big fan of movies in general. There's nothing wrong with that, but it makes it hard to suggest any movies for you.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
O.K., that's 26 movies in the past 60 years. It seems to me that you aren't really a big fan of movies in general. There's nothing wrong with that, but it makes it hard to suggest any movies for you.
I've gone through phases. In the late 70's and early 80's, I was really into Western foreign films (e.g. Polanski), 60's movies (Blow-Up, Easy Rider) and horror (e.g. Hammer films) that I was too young to see when they debuted. In the mid to late 80's, I was heavily into horror (especially gore/splatter films) and action movies. Then in the early 90's, I started watching Asian horror and action films and that's stayed with me ever since. I've always enjoyed cartoons, but not anime, with the exception of Dragon Ball Z for a year because of the cliffhanger endings, but gave up once I learned that it never ends.

I found my conversation with my co-worker interesting because he seemed enthused about seeing Bad Boys 3 and I was able to connect with him a bit because I saw the original and maybe the sequel, and thought it might be worth my while despite my dislike for Martin Lawrence after his SNL bit as I'll still watch Martin if it comes on TV. Interestingly, the movie has good reviews on Rottontomatoes, so if comes up on on TV, I may give it a try.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Telperion, Acsenray, I'm having trouble believing that even you two are interested in the conversation you're having.
This is an issue I am somewhat passionate about, but I think I've made my point.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
What valid criticism? "I don't like these movies" is not a valid criticism.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I've always enjoyed cartoons, but not anime
But that is another sweeping generalization, speaking of "cartoons" and "anime" as if they are genres, not mediums. Do you really mean that you like series like Care Bears, Muppet Babies, Stressed Eric, The Oblongs, CatDog, Family Guy, Rick and Morty, and BoJack Horseman and that you don't like series like Shin-chan, Doctor Slump, Anpanman, Azumanga Daioh, Haibane Renmei, Death Note, Attack on Titan,and Ergo Proxy?
Old 02-02-2020, 09:40 PM

I like movies from different genres. South Pacific, and Flower Drum Song are on my list, but so are Lord of the Rings and several heist films. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Memento, La Strada, Snatch, Crash, and Whale Rider are all on my Top List. All different genres, about the only consistency is that I like good movies!

I can often guess whether I'll like a film from the actors' names. Jack Nicholson, Joaquin Phoenix or Denzel Washington? I'll watch that movie! John Wayne or Mike Douglas? No. Not sure why; Wayne and Douglas might be the "better" actors for all I know.

Speaking of Joaquin Phoenix, I was reminded by clicking a link above that I did like the relatively recent Her, though I'm not sure it belongs on My Top 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus
There were some films I liked in 2006 (The Departed, The Prestige, Casino Royale). Not quite in the same league, but perhaps the best movie since 2006 is No Country for Old Men (2007). I'm looking forward to watching Joker, but usually do not like the superhero/action genre so dominant today.
Casino Royale is action and (arguably superhero!) but I liked it a lot. (Add Daniel Craig to the list of actors I'll always watch.) Similarly, Joaquin Phoenix is the main reason Joker is a must-see for me.

It's interesting that the thread is ostensibly on the question "Whatís so great about current Hollywood movies?" but over half of the early responses spoke to the question "Why can't we have good discussions anymore?" The only response to my post speaks to that.

English language experts: Stare intently at the underlined sentence from my quote. In 25 words or less, explain any inferences you might derive from the use of 'BUT' in that sentence.

And yet ... we have to put up with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Well since Joker is not either a superhero or action movie, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

A lot of what used to be exclusive to movies are now available on television, so movies have to deliver something newer and more unique to compete. And though they are managing to do so, it's an increasingly limited pool. Now even live-action Star Wars is getting more buzz from their TV options than their movies are. That's definitely a significant shift and a portent for the future.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
But that is another sweeping generalization, speaking of "cartoons" and "anime" as if they are genres, not mediums. Do you really mean that you like series like Care Bears, Muppet Babies, Stressed Eric, The Oblongs, CatDog, Family Guy, Rick and Morty, and BoJack Horseman and that you don't like series like Shin-chan, Doctor Slump, Anpanman, Azumanga Daioh, Haibane Renmei, Death Note, Attack on Titan,and Ergo Proxy?
Yes to some of the in the first series:, The Oblongs, CatDog, Family Guy, no to anything in the second series. It seems you've defined the second series by the broadest definition of anime, which is any animation from Japan, so I'll say I liked, but not longer watch Astroboy and Princess Knight/Ribbon Knight.

Last edited by lingyi; 02-02-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

From the list of films the OP has on hand, I would say he should drop whatever he’s doing and watch Repulsion and Picnic at Hanging Rock.

I’m a spooky kinda guy, what can I say? It’s the Scorpio in me.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:49 PM

Some of the 'cartoons' I like/liked:

Ren and Stimpy
The Simpsons
Beavis and Butthead
Cow and Chicken
The Fairly Oddparents
Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness

Anything from Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies and some Hanna Barbara

Pseudo-anime

Transformers - The original series

Last edited by lingyi; 02-02-2020 at 10:50 PM.