Old 02-10-2020, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Damn it! On the Dan cite. I really thought he was a one strip joke.
Sure looked like a last panel joke, but a goblin caterer was needed ...

Quote:
Origin counts? Does Start of Darkness, or Snips, Snails...? Or the Kickstarter stories?
He did say "prequels" and that's a prequel. SoD is one too, but Snips is not except maybe the Julio Scoundrel story.

Quote:
I see what you mean with the Aunt Ivy crack. After a while, it gets silly. I mean, we might as well nominate Banjthulu...
I think I'll go with Jiminy's cat if we ever get to vote on it. Of course, it could also be Death, who I'm fairly sure is also a one-strip character.

Last edited by dtilque; 02-10-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
Green is Julia's colour. Any Julia-centric magical effects will be green. Her changed speech balloon though makes me suspicious she's an outsider of some sort now.
Could it be some form of Astral Projection?
Old 02-11-2020, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Note that, if that list is based on the "Number of Character Appearances" thread (it probably is; I can't imagine anyone else independently tracking such things), then speech bubbles by the characters also count as "appearances", which might or might not be what Rich means.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to refer directly to the Number of Character Appearances thread, as the GiantITP message boards have been down for a couple of weeks.
This is correct. Barry White is an example of a character who is listed as appearing in the strip even though it was just a playing of one of his records.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
Snips is not except maybe the Julio Scoundrel story.
I believe Burlew has said that the OOTS strips that appeared in The Dragon are not canon (although Belkar once referenced something from them in the main strip).

Otherwise, I might have picked Psteve as my guess for one strip character who will appear in this arc.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Just so people know, you can look the stats up.

https://oots.fandom.com/wiki/Character_Index

This page shows how many times every character has appeared in. You can just scroll down until you get to the single appearances.

The most commonly appearing characters:

Roy - 752 appearances (including appearances in bonus material)
Haley - 681
Elan - 680
Belkar - 614
Durkon - 571 (Durkon the Vampire is counted separately and appeared 88 times)
Vaarsuvius - 526
Mr Scruffy - 224
Redcloak - 202
Blackwing - 180
Xykon - 180
Hinjo - 153
O-Chul - 142
Nale - 141
Monster in the Darkness - 111
Tarquin - 110
Sabine - 104
Miko - 101
Dammit - now I miss Wrecan again.

Quote:
I believe Burlew has said that the OOTS strips that appeared in The Dragon are not canon (although Belkar once referenced something from them in the main strip).

Otherwise, I might have picked Psteve as my guess for one strip character who will appear in this arc.
Psteve is pdead though. And was a one-joke wonder.

On Julia - I did wonder if she was dead, although I assumed that this was more likely to just be some form of magic comms. However, just once I'd like to see Roy push back against his family's abuse. I know it's out of character (and comic style) but right now I could really use him saying "Fuck you, Julia - you got yourself kidnapped; I just stopped the gods from destroying the entire universe. So just say your slacker bullshit and piss off."
Old 02-11-2020, 05:20 AM

Just reading through the "one-strip character" list. It includes most of the Northern Pantheon so my best guess is that it's one of them.

Of course, Rich Burlew himself is a one-strip character (as is, separately, his thumb) so that'd be a real curveball.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Of course, Rich Burlew himself is a one-strip character (as is, separately, his thumb) so that'd be a real curveball.
Separately? They are both listed as appearing in #864. As far as I can see, they are both the same character. It should be one entry.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:58 AM

My two copper pieces is that it will be someone who was in the background of an Important Group. Like we're being introduced to a god or a ruler or the leader of a guild, and the focus is on one character, and then Mr./Ms. One-Strip Wonder is one of the people shown standing there.

As for the current strip: Julia might be a brat, but at least she's better company than Eugene.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Psteve is pdead though.
Not a deal breaker. Three of the seven current members of the group have been dead at some point. As far as formerly dead members are concerned, the Order of the Stick is right up there with the Justice League of America.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 02-11-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Not a deal breaker. Three of the seven current members of the group have been dead at some point. As far as formerly dead members are concerned, the Order of the Stick is right up there with the Justice League of America.
Roy and Durkon have been dead. To my knowledge Belkar, V, Hayley and Elan haven't been. Unless you count Belkar being dead in phantasm space, which I don't. What am I missing? And where do you get seven? If you count "pets" it's nine. If you don't, it's six.

Last edited by squeegee; 02-11-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:23 PM

Minrah being the 7th, I would assume.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
Minrah being the 7th, I would assume.
D'oh, of course
Old 02-12-2020, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

In the last panel, where the hell did Roy's sword get to?

ETA Never mind. I can see the pommel peeking out from behind his beanie.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 02-12-2020 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:47 PM

nm
Old 02-17-2020, 11:38 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

1192 is up

wow, 2 in a row
Old 02-17-2020, 11:43 AM

Yay! Roy's throwing shade!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:30 PM

Kind of a padding strip.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:19 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
Kind of a padding strip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
Dissing the strip, that's a paddin'
Old 02-17-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

And yet, he's still supportive of his family. His sister comes up with a big improvement on a standard spell, he's proud of her. Even when it turns out that the improvement is highly situational.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:17 PM

As long as the thread was updated and the comic doesn't have much meat to discuss, I'll say that I'm missing the GitP forums and the other D&D haunts don't really scratch the same itch. Get better (replaced) soon, forum servers!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kind of a padding strip.
I doubt it. It will probably be plot central that Julia can contact Roy. This sets up- important information for the book.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kind of a padding strip.
I think Burlew is poking fun at all of the fans who just spent a week speculating on whether or not Julia is dead.

But it's a joke that won't age well. From now on, everyone will read 1192 immediately after 1191.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:04 AM

This sort of thing seems useful even if it isn't fixed up. Essentially you have a higher level spell that binds two people, and then that gives them an improved sending spell (no word limit) for a lower level cast. It seems like the sort of tradeoff that I could see being made in a game--I wouldn't expect a strictly better sending spell to ever be created.

I actually wonder if this could be true in the Stickverse, too. She might figure out a way to attach it to other things that bind people together, but you still need a higher level spell first to get the benefits. Do the rules of that universe run not only on narrativium, but also game-ballancium?
Old 02-18-2020, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

That depends on just what sort of bond is needed. The bond she's using right now is so strong that it keeps people out of their proper afterlife-- How many folks would be willing to accept that just to be able to Skype more easily?
Old 02-18-2020, 10:38 AM

In addition to letting the readers know/laughing at speculation that Julia was dead, doesn't their conversation also remind the reader that very few entities are aware of what's at stake? Julia's casual selfishness about Roy possibly killing the lich and screwing up her school project, was jarring to read. Especially after a few hundred pages of saving the world.

A bit of reflection though, and it makes sense for her to be annoyed, when the lich has lasted all of this time and seemingly would last forever. And only now, just when she's done a great job of creating a rather nifty spell, is Roy (from her perspective) bothering to get rid of the lich, and screw up all of her hard work.

Another thing, unrelated to their conversation, when last we saw Lien, O-Chul, and the Tomb, there were mountain ridges and a large bugbear village. I don't see any of that in the far, establishing shots of the Mechane, and even though they're a few miles away, shouldn't we still see that?

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 02-18-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:42 AM

I think her classwork would be screwed up regardless of Roy/Xykon. She said that she had to fix it before turning it in and was just using the current form as proof of concept. Presumably her instructors aren't going to be interested in testing and grading a spell that does nothing for them unless they happen to have a Blood Oath-sworn relative around.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I suspect she won't be able to fix it either. After all, this is just a senior project, so she's not exactly a high level magical researcher. You'd think that many of those high level magical researchers have tried to come up with an improved Sending spell and all of them failed. Or at least didn't distribute their results if they did succeed. I find that unlikely, so she's very likely to also fail.

Last edited by dtilque; 02-18-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:22 PM

So what level will Julia be when she graduates?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
I suspect she won't be able to fix it either. After all, this is just a senior project, so she's not exactly a high level magical researcher. You'd think that many of those high level magical researchers have tried to come up with an improved Sending spell and all of them failed. Or at least didn't distribute their results if they did succeed. I find that unlikely, so she's very likely to also fail.
A version of Sending that requires a lower spell-level slot and has no word limit, but only works in a very limited special case, probably isn't a half-bad senior project. They can't all be game-changing (literally) breakthroughs.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Sort of reminds me of the satellite project my grad school took on. The way everyone figured it, if we made a functional satellite consistent with the design constraints, delivered it to the launch company on time, and it blew up on launch, that was a 90% success. Which in fact turned out to be exactly what happened (though they did later build another one that successfully launched and completed its mission).
Old 02-18-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
They can't all be game-changing (literally) breakthroughs.
Not everyone can be a Bugsby.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
This sort of thing seems useful even if it isn't fixed up. Essentially you have a higher level spell that binds two people, and then that gives them an improved sending spell (no word limit) for a lower level cast. It seems like the sort of tradeoff that I could see being made in a game--I wouldn't expect a strictly better sending spell to ever be created.

I actually wonder if this could be true in the Stickverse, too. She might figure out a way to attach it to other things that bind people together, but you still need a higher level spell first to get the benefits. Do the rules of that universe run not only on narrativium, but also game-ballancium?
Julia's spell works because in her words, it piggybacks a signal off the Blood Oath connection. Did the members of the Scribble + all of Soon's paladins swear a similar kind of oath not to interfere with each other? Could this be a way to do something like talk to Lien and O-Chul or Serini?

I'm just trying to think of similar oaths or either binding magic that we've seen before now in the story that Julia's spell could be foreshadowing.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:20 PM

If Julia was smarter, she could have traded it to V for a copy of Vaarsuvius' Greater Animal Messenger and then turned THAT in instead! After trimming the name off.

Last edited by Jophiel; 02-18-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:16 AM

Just a PSA: the forums at www.giantitp.com are back online.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:03 AM

And he's accepting donations on Patreon to keep the new server up.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:57 AM

They must have slapped that up overnight because I clicked my bookmark before bed last night and then chided myself, thinking "Sure, like he's going to get the server up on 11:45pm Friday night..."
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

1193: Sisterly Advice
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

"Great! Who's Belkar?"

I lol'ed.
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
"Great! Who's Belkar?"

I lol'ed.
i don't get it
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
i don't get it
I assume it's a joke about just how little interest Julia has taken in Roy's (and technically her own) quest. I don't see it rising to a level of a LOL though.