Old 02-05-2020, 03:57 AM

Deep purple as good as Led Zepplin?

Would you rank the band that had the hit song smoke in the water compared to the band that brought us stairway to heaven?
Old 02-05-2020, 04:44 AM

No contest. Not on tour, not in the studio, not even in the commission of excesses. Led Zeppelin is better in every way, unless Deep Purple is better for you.

Seriously, Zeppelin were much better musicians.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:45 AM

Deep Purple is not as good, though I love some of their songs. Jon Lord was awesome, Ian Gillan was likewise, and Ritchie Blackmore did a good job, coming up with some iconic riffs. As a whole, though, I think Zeppelin's body of work is more varied and of an overall higher quality.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I think Zep the better, though I bet Robert Plant has wished at times that “Child in Time” was a Zeppelin song.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:09 AM

I think "In Rock", "Fireball", "Machine Head" and "Made In Japan", all by the classic MK II lineup, easily hold a candle to Led Zeppelin's best work, though Zep had more really great albums throughout their career (I like all their studio albums a lot except for "In Through The Outdoor" which leaves me totally cold). I also think that the MK II Purple were as competent as musicians as Led Zeppelin. Ian Gillian was arguably the greatest hard rock singer and shouter of all time, he reached heights and levels on "Child In Time" (especially on the Made In Japan version) that Robert Plant could only dream of, whose shouting and moaning sometimes could sound extremely dull and pointless, especially live, as could Page's endless noodling (with a bow on the endlessly dragging "Dazed And Confused". Please....). I think Purple at their best moments sounded tighter live than Zep.

Bonham was a class of his own, but Ian Paice also is one of rock's best drummers, and he can swing as well as Bonham, if very differently. Blackmore is not as variable and adventurous as Page, but as I said, less noodling. What Deep Purple lacked was an all purpose weapon like John Paul Jones and Led Zep's excellence in the studio.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:22 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Ian Paice is a good drummer but hes no Jon Bonham. I bet he would say the same thing.

Roger Glover is a good bass player but hes no John Paul Jones.

Jon Lord is the rock organ player. JPJ plays keyboards but does it really matter?

Jimmy Page is an iconic innovator and the basis for much of what it means to be a rock guitar player. He could also be a sloppy mess playing live. Blackmore is also a rock god and helped usher in the prog side of hard rock guitar with classical influences. And he is always a monster live. Up to you to say who is better but I like Blackmore.

Robert Plant has one of the most distinctive voices in music. Ian Gillan has a much better voice.

Led Zeppelin may be the most influential band in hard rock (or at least neck and neck with Sabbath) but I prefer Deep Purple. If a song from either band randomly comes on the radio Im much more likely to listen to Deep Purple unless its Smoke on the Water.

Extra credit to Deep Purple for having Steve Morse on guitar for the last few decades. In the last couple of years Ive seen both the Dregs and Flying Colors live. Hes still the best guitar player on earth.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Even though I think Zeppelin is better than Purple, I own, and listen too, more Purple. I guess I *like* it better. Neither has the best ever guitar player though, as that is, and will be, Mark Knopfler.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:21 PM

A couple years ago, a friend told me he was opening for Deep Purple. At first I thought he was kidding, but then he showed me the paperwork. So, I planned on going mostly to hear my buddy playing a large venue.

Then the show was officially announced and the ticket prices were ridiculous. If I could have paid $50 to see the opening act, then split, I would have.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:39 PM

Deep Purple was good but has more crap than good songs. Zep is Zep, one of the all time greatest groups in Rock history. Beatles, Stones, Who, Zep & Floyd would probably be the top 5 if a thorough poll was done. Though for me Stones aren't in my top 10 favorites.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:41 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
A couple years ago, a friend told me he was opening for Deep Purple. At first I thought he was kidding, but then he showed me the paperwork. So, I planned on going mostly to hear my buddy playing a large venue.

Then the show was officially announced and the ticket prices were ridiculous. If I could have paid $50 to see the opening act, then split, I would have.
Then you missed an amazing guitar player.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:23 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

The various incarnations of Deep Purple are a notch or two below Zeppelin in the pantheon of great rock groups, but they put out some great music including one of the best live albums ever. I think Ritchie was just as good live as Jimmy, maybe even a little better as Page tended to be a little sloppy. (I've seen them both in concert a couple of times each)
Old 02-05-2020, 05:27 PM

I think Led Zeppelin is SO much better than Deep Purple.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:44 PM

Curious question, really. Very different products. But I like them both about the same--at least as much as I like the Beatles.
In a perfect world we'd have Zeppelin without Robert Plant interrupting the music, and Deep Purple would be The Kinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Neither has the best ever guitar player though, as that is, and will be, Mark Knopfler.
truth

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 02-05-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:55 PM

Number of speeding tickets I’ve received listening to Deep Purple: 2

Number of speeding tickets I’ve received listening to Led Zeppelin: 0

DP for the win.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
Number of speeding tickets Ive received listening to Deep Purple: 2

Number of speeding tickets Ive received listening to Led Zeppelin: 0

DP for the win.
Hell, if that was the criteria, Lynyrd Skynyrd would win.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
Number of speeding tickets I’ve received listening to Deep Purple: 2

Number of speeding tickets I’ve received listening to Led Zeppelin: 0

DP for the win.
No great feat if the songs were Speed King and Highway Star .

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 02-05-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:45 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Not on their best day.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:46 PM

I would give Zep the edge, but let's not kid ourselves. Deep Purple was fucking GREAT.

-God
Old 02-05-2020, 08:15 PM

I think that Blackmore has faster fingers than Page but that LZ is better in every other way.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:05 PM

Led Zep blatantly plagiarized some of their most famous songs. That disqualifies them from any conversation of the alltime best rock groups.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Led Zep blatantly plagiarized some of their most famous songs. That disqualifies them from any conversation of the alltime best rock groups.
That's nice, do we all have to follow your rules? Do you mind if we laugh at you?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
This is kind of true (the part about them stealing from other artists), but none of the things that people love Zeppelin for come from anyone other than themselves.

As for the question ... damn, what a hard one, and one I think about a lot. They've been two of my favourite bands for a while, and for a long time I thought Purple had the edge (monstly due to the MKIII lineup with David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes), but on balance it has to go to LZ, for the fact that they kept the same lineup from start to finish, and still managed to cover as much ground as they did.

To me, the peak for both bands:
Deep Purple - Mistreated (live in Paris)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q02d-oS6obM

Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You (How The West Was Won)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-J_s6S7TsU

Last edited by Junior Spaceman; 02-05-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
I think that Blackmore has faster fingers than Page but that LZ is better in every other way.
that's fine if they're taking dictation but music is not about efficiency. Zepplin is by far a better band because of their interplay between musicians. Of course everything in this thread comes with an official IMO.

I liked Deep Purple as a teenager but as I got older and could appreciate the nuances I find I have a greater appreciation for Zepplin.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:47 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I don't know if it's a point in their favor or not, but Deep Purple were really groovy when they appeared on Playboy After Dark.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:55 PM

I loved zep way earlier in life and now I'm sick of them. Deep purple, I ve always had a love for and they hold up to this day so many decades later. If you asked me at 18, I'd say zep. If you had asked me at 25, 30, 35, 40, 45...deep purple.

Last edited by snfaulkner; 02-05-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
That's nice, do we all have to follow your rules? Do you mind if we laugh at you?
Laugh away until you realize that they stole probably millions from poor blues artists in lost royalties. I wouldnt want to follow your rules.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:55 PM

I never paid much attention to DP. They did a song about Frank Zappa's band gear catching fire, init?

Some years back, a UK music site polled their audience on which individuals their fantasy rock supergroup would contain. Who would be the best singer, lead and bass guitarists, and drummer, from anywhere and anywhen? The vote results:

Best singer: Robert Plant
Best guitarist: Jimmy Page
Best bassist: John Paul Jones
Best drummer: John Bonham

Sound familiar?
Old 02-06-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Then you missed an amazing guitar player.
Heh. It's early and you had me totally confused for a minute. I thought you knew who my friend was, and couldn't figure out how you figured it out.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I would give Zep the edge, but let's not kid ourselves. Deep Purple was fucking GREAT.
This is about where I am. Jon Lord is incomparable. Bonzo is incomparable. Jimmy Page had a vision for Led Zeppelin while still in the Yardbirds. And seconding everything Loach says about Steve Morse.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
In a perfect world we'd have Zeppelin without Robert Plant interrupting the music, and Deep Purple would be The Kinks.
Still trying to get my head around that one.

/atmb/ uuuuuuhhhhhh why am I able to quote only posts 1 - 13, yet, from post 14 onwards, I can't? What in the bleep is that kind of a glitch all about? Huh. /atmb/

And so:

Madsircool (post 20): "Led Zep blatantly plagiarized some of their most famous songs. That disqualifies them from any conversation of the alltime best rock groups."

So other than the Stairway/Randy California thing, there were other numbers?
Old 02-08-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Madsircool (post 20): "Led Zep blatantly plagiarized some of their most famous songs. That disqualifies them from any conversation of the alltime best rock groups."

So other than the Stairway/Randy California thing, there were other numbers?
Led Zeppelin's 10 Boldest Rip-Offs (Rolling Stone magazine 6/22/2016)

I still dig Zeppelin all the same. But the beefs against them are legit.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:47 PM

Zeppelin. It is not even close really.

I like Deep Purple but if stranded on a desert island with only one or the other music catalog it is no contest. Zeppelin all the way.
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
Old 02-08-2020, 05:16 PM

Since the number of really good songs is far more important to me than guitar licks or similar measures of musicianship, I'd have to rate Led Zep considerably ahead of Deep Purple, though I like both.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
Led Zeppelin's 10 Boldest Rip-Offs (Rolling Stone magazine 6/22/2016)

I still dig Zeppelin all the same. But the beefs against them are legit.
Interesting, thanks. Indeed legit. (except for maybe the "Shake em On Down" / "Hats off to (Roy) Harper" comparison, which struck me as a stretch)
Old 02-08-2020, 06:07 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Warning. Heresy coming.

Blackmore's solo on Child in Time is better than anything Page did.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Zeppelin. It is not even close really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Since the number of really good songs is far more important to me than guitar licks or similar measures of musicianship, I'd have to rate Led Zep considerably ahead of Deep Purple,
This, basically. I'm not a Zeppelin fanatic by any means - I liked( but didn't love )them as a teen, but don't seek them out much anymore. If some tune that isn't fucking Stairway to Heaven* comes on an oldies station or something I will still listen and appreciate it. They were a great band in their heyday, blatant royalty theft and personal peccadilloes aside. And great songs really do beat great licks for me, which is why I've never been a huge Rush fan despite respecting them enormously - Peart's lyrics mostly didn't do much for me.

I see an awful lot of love for Deep Purple, so I suppose I can be the heretic there as well without feeling like I'm piling on. Never much cared for them . They're okay. I guess.

* Can't change the station away from StH fast enough. One of the unholy trinity of insanely overplayed rock songs from my youth, right there with Freebird and Hotel California. I liked all three once upon a time. Never again.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 02-08-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:02 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

A couple of my favorite Deep Purple moments:

On the 1985 Mk II reunion tour, they had laser light effects. During the "Difficult To Cure" jam they went off into Ode To Joy, with an animated Beethoven "conducting" above the stage.

And then, there's the finale of their California Jam set, with a really angry* Blackmore torturing several guitars and setting fire to his amps.

*Ritchie had only agreed to play the festival on the condition that they go on after dark...it was part of their contract. When the organizers tried to get them up on stage 2 hours before sunset, Blackmore would have none of it. He refused to take the stage and finally came out, angry as hell...and it showed.