Old 02-05-2020, 08:06 PM

Whose height surprised you?

Either tall or short.

For me, it was Bill Murray. For some reason, he doesn’t “act like” a person that is 6’2”.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:22 PM

William Shatner. He's actually quite short. He used lifts even when he was younger.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:32 PM

Carolyn Jones is another. From watching her as Morticia Addams, I always thought she was very statuesque. Turns out she was only 5 1/2 feet tall.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:34 PM

Most of the cast of the later seasons of Night Court, but mostly John Astin.

Before I realized that Harry Anderson, John Laroquette, Charles Robinson and Marsha Warfield are taller than usual (all the guys are around 6'2", Warfield's 5'11"), I thought Astin was short (like...5'4"), but he's actually just about dead average. (Markie Post is about average, as well, but unlike Astin, she never really felt dwarfed by the others. And, of course, I always knew Richard Moll was huge, though I didn't know quite how huge, since the others rather deemphasized it.)
Old 02-05-2020, 08:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Humphrey Bogart was, like, 5’7”. I’m surprised Peter Lorre didn’t whack the shit out of him in The Maltese Falcon.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:15 PM

Is only the first post of this thread showing for anyone else on the forum front page and the posting page?

It shows up in its probable entirety within the thread itself, but that's it.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Coincidentally, for the last couple of days I've been followed around by a bit of clickbait promising to reveal the shocking truth about I Love Lucy that's visible in every episode. The shocking truth is that Desi Arnaz wore elevator shoes. He was two inches taller than Lucille Ball, and I guess they wanted to maintain the height difference when she wore high heels.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:26 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Most of the cast of the later seasons of Night Court, but mostly John Astin.

Before I realized that Harry Anderson, John Laroquette, Charles Robinson and Marsha Warfield are taller than usual (all the guys are around 6'2", Warfield's 5'11"), I thought Astin was short (like...5'4"), but he's actually just about dead average. (Markie Post is about average, as well, but unlike Astin, she never really felt dwarfed by the others. And, of course, I always knew Richard Moll was huge, though I didn't know quite how huge, since the others rather deemphasized it.)
Night Court has the record for tallest sitcom cast.
Quote:
Up front are a pair of 6-foot, 4-inch forwards: Harry Anderson as maverick judge Harry Stone and John Larroquette as Dan Fielding, the assistant district attorney you love to hate. In the middle is 6-foot, 8-inch Richard Moll, a solid role player whose Bull Shannon rarely dominates, but always delivers when called upon. The guards are 6-foot, 2-inch muscle-man Charles Robinson, whose Mac often sets up big plays for the others, and 5-foot, 6-inch Markie Post as Christine, the perky public defender who is equally adept at the assist and the score. And coming off the bench as Roz is 5-foot, 11-inch Marsha Warfield, the newest member of the team who is a rising star in her own right

Last edited by running coach; 02-05-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

I was a bit surprised to see that Robert Redford was about the same height as me. Barbra Streisand only came up to my shoulder.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

For those of you relying on the claimed height of celebrities "on the internet", they are mostly estimates by some random source or repeated claims with no real evidence of accuracy.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:45 PM
Horrified Onlooker

I was surprised to recently learn that Captain Beefheart (Don Van Vliet) was 6'2, physically imposing, and had an enormous cranium. Always pictured him as a little guy. Saw him in concert with Zappa in the 70's but didn't notice his size.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:56 PM

Teller is 5 foot 9 inches - a respectable height. He seems short next to Penn because Penn is huge.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:09 PM

Chris Rock claims to be 5-10 but I saw him in person and he's more like 5-7. I thought he was taller. He was in town campaigning for Obama.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:09 AM

I never thought of Clint Eastwood as tall, but he is 6'4
Old 02-06-2020, 12:11 AM

Jamey Jasta’s height was a surprise to me.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Before I realized that Harry Anderson, John Laroquette, Charles Robinson and Marsha Warfield are taller than usual (all the guys are around 6'2", Warfield's 5'11")
I once saw Warfield saying that working on that show was the only time in her adult life that she felt petite.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

A couple that surprised me are Keira Knightley and Rihanna. For some reason, I always thought both of them were short. But Knightley's 5'7" and Rihanna's 5'8", which are above average heights for women.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:22 AM

I was very surprised to find that Taylor Swift was about 6 feet tall. I'm not ashamed to admit, I suddenly found her a lot more attractive.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:56 AM

I just watched The Stranger on Netflix. It starred Richard Armitage, who played Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit series.

I was genuinely surprised that he was normal-human sized and not a shortarse. I know Peter Jackson used much cinematic trickery to shorten up his dwarves and hobbitses, but had a vague idea that even with that he'd cast from the stumpier end of the acting spectrum.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:57 AM

Thanks to tricks done with camera angles, Tom Cruise's three feet of height looks normal on film.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:23 AM

I have seen Mr Mapother up close. He is not **that** short.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
I have seen Mr Mapother up close. He is not **that** short.
You likely didn't notice that his handlers had you standing in a ditch, whilst they had Tom atop a fruit case.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:18 AM

That was in Top Gun where he was paired with a 5’11 Kelly McGillis.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:33 AM

So apparently I can't quote a post on this thread, but re: height claims "on the internet" I would agree in general but the "CelebHeights" site seems to be pretty good as far as comparing celebs to other celebs with "known/solved" heights, taking into account footwear, compared to measured non-celebs, and so on. Plus there are some pro athletes with known strict measurements from combines and you can compare them to other celebs they've appeared with and off you go.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:45 AM

surprised that Johnny Cash was 6-2. Also had no idea Michael Crichton was 6-9 but I knew he went to medical school but he never practiced as a Dr.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:05 AM

As Hawk on Spenser, I thought Avery Brooks was about 6'6". He's about the same height as, if not shorter than, Robert Urich was. Shows how well he played the character.

I guess he just acted tall!

And Robert Conrad was short! S-m-all.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:11 AM

I met Patrick Stewart on the set of Star Trek: TNG in the summer of 1992. Let's just say that I was surprised to find that I could see my face reflected on the top of his head.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:40 AM

In my early days of watching his podcast I always assumed that Joe Rogan was about average around 5'9", then he said he was 5'8", but I highly doubt he's even that tall, now the internet claims 5'7", but honestly some photos I've been seeing it's not hard to believe he might only be 5'6", he's kind of a little dude with a big ol head and arms.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I met Patrick Stewart on the set of Star Trek: TNG in the summer of 1992. Let's just say that I was surprised to find that I could see my face reflected on the top of his head.
Wiki lists him at 5'10". Are you really tall or would you dispute the claim?
Old 02-06-2020, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I once saw a man on the street and thought "He looks like a short Paul Simon." Turns out Simon is about 5'2" and his parents were living in that town at the time.

In earlier days, when Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice were always photographed together, ALW looked like a shrimp. Turns out he's 5'10" tall, but Rice is 6'4".
Old 02-06-2020, 09:52 AM

I'm about 6"*, and yeah, I'd dispute that claim - I wouldn't put him at over 5'8".

*I was 18 at the time, so I'm not even sure I had reached my full height.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I was very surprised to find that Taylor Swift was about 6 feet tall. I'm not ashamed to admit, I suddenly found her a lot more attractive.
That was surprising? I don't think I've ever seen a photo of Taylor Swift where she looked anything but tall.

To me, Elizabeth Debicki (Gatzby, Man From Uncle, Widows) is surprisingly tall at 6'3".
Old 02-06-2020, 10:16 AM

Watching Patton Oswalt in various shows gave me the idea that he was pretty short. Then he came to our local Alamo Drafthouse (he's apparently a Sterling, VA denizon) and I got to see him in person, up close. He's my height (5'5"). While that's a bit below average for a man, I wouldn't really call it short. So now I think everybody else in Hollywood are giants.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Alan Ladd played leading roles and starred in movies like "Shane" as a quiet tough guy. Turns out, he was only 5'6" or so. He was very conscious of the fact and starred in three movies with Veronica Lake, who was only 4'11" (very surprising to me). When he starred in "Boy on a Dolphin" with Sophia Loren, the director used ramps for some scenes and had Loren stand in a ditch at one point so that Ladd would appear taller.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:28 AM

Julia Roberts... and to a lesser extent Tobey McGuire. I've ridden in elevators with both and Julia Roberts was so freaking tiny that I didn't recognize her immediately. Even though she was in make up and going to set and had been known to be in the building for the month.

If I had to guess I would have said she came across as someone that 4'6" and maybe 80 lbs. And 100% eyes and lips. This was nigh 20 years ago and in her prime. But still today every time I see one of her movies, I spend the entire time trying to figure out how they make her look normal. (Rumor has it they do it with Tom Cruise too.)
Old 02-06-2020, 10:34 AM

Ludacris walked right by me at Essence Fest and I thought someone let a kid in for a minute. He can't be more than 5'6" or so.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:37 AM

Taylor Swift was my first thought, too. msmith537, if you see a photo of Taylor standing with other people, then she looks tall. But when she first became famous back in 2007 or so, I think most of the pictures I saw of her were only of her, and when you only see her face and body without other people as a frame of reference she looks pretty average, height-wise.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Ah, jeez -- this is gonna drive me nuts all day

"Small ... small ... S. M. All ..."

What's that from? I can recall it, but can't place the movie.

EDIT: Cannonball Run, right? Wasn't it Burt describing Sammy Davis Jr. to a police officer?

Last edited by bordelond; 02-06-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:08 AM

(No, I think it was actually Dom that said the "S.M. All" bit)

The story of how we ended up in close proximity is not very interesting, so I'll cut to the chase:

I almost tripped over Jane Seymour in the baby-clothes section of a department store one time. She was completely hidden by an ordinary chest-high rack of clothes. She is tiny, tiny, tiny and very slight. I had taken her to be closer to the height of, say, a typical fashion model.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:27 AM

Tom Cruise is the only real surprise. I knew he wasn't tall, but 5'7"? That's 2 inches shorter than I am.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Why do you think Jim West always wore those high-heeled cowboy boots?

Next time you watch their respective shows, notice how he and Captain Kirk shared a distinctive walk on account of their footwear.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Thanks to tricks done with camera angles, Tom Cruise's three feet of height looks normal on film.
While you're joking, there's actually some truth to this.

A person's "width" (for lack of a better term) doesn't vary with their height. So an actor who's 5'5" can have the same width as an actor who's 6'2".

Now if you don't have any context about their height (and directors can make sure you don't when they're filming the actor) you will mentally assume both actors are of average height. And if you do this, you mentally adjust your impression of their build to match this assumed average height. A guy who's 5'5" with an average build will look like a guy who's 5'10" with a beefy build. A guy who's 6'2" with an average build will look like a guy who's 5'10" with a skinny build. This can give an advantage to shorter actors; they look big and muscular if you film them so their height isn't apparent.

Some examples of this are Robert Conrad, Jet Li, Sylvester Stallone, Ben Stiller, Danny Trejo, and Mark Wahlberg - all of whom are shorter than average height.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 02-06-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I was very pleased to find that Lizzo is 5'10". Most of the plus sized famous women I like are short (Melissa McCarthy 5'2", Dawn French 5'0", Aidy Bryant 5'3") so I always see them as "kinda like me but not really..." as I am 5'8". I idolize Lizzo a bit and it was nice to know that she's quite in the same boat as me.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:58 AM

Magnus Backstedt. Who he? you ask. He's a retired pro cyclist, one of the greats, who clocked in at 6'4" and 207 lbs. I have seen him in the flesh, rolling out at the Tour of Britain, and he actually looks even bigger than that. It's his weight (damn near zero fat, BTW) that's even more imposing than his height.

How'd he get up hills? you ask. Not well. But put that package of Swedish brawn on the flat roads of northern France, and he could drag a peloton behind him all day. For a while he was jointly my favourite cyclist with Domenico Pozzovivo, simply because the former was a bag of donuts short of being exactly twice the weight of the latter.

As an aside, there are more tall cyclists than you would imagine. Brad Wiggins is 6'3" (but 152 lb).

j
Old 02-06-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I was very pleased to find that Lizzo is 5'10". Most of the plus sized famous women I like are short (Melissa McCarthy 5'2", Dawn French 5'0", Aidy Bryant 5'3") so I always see them as "kinda like me but not really..." as I am 5'8". I idolize Lizzo a bit and it was nice to know that she's quite in the same boat as me.
Are you familiar with Roxane Gay? She's a plus-size writer (which, admittedly, isn't as flashy as a singer, but FWIW, she's a damn successful writer and I think would qualify as a famous plus-size woman), and she's over 6 ft tall.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:09 PM

For those of you who are as ignorant about cycling as I am:

"Peloton" - The main densely packed group of cyclists in a race. LOL
Old 02-06-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

I met Kurt Vonnegut sometime around 1990, and was surprised that he was at least 6' 2", maybe taller. For a man close to 70 at the time, it was impressive.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:40 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
Are you familiar with Roxane Gay? She's a plus-size writer (which, admittedly, isn't as flashy as a singer, but FWIW, she's a damn successful writer and I think would qualify as a famous plus-size woman), and she's over 6 ft tall.
Awesome recommendation! Never heard of her but I just looked her up and I'm impressed. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
For those of you who are as ignorant about cycling as I am:

"Peloton" - The main densely packed group of cyclists in a race. LOL
Oops - sorry Jasmine. By way of further explanation, the guy at the front of the peloton cops for all the wind resistance - they have to punch a hole in the air for everyone else following. Fighting all of that drag makes a huge difference in the effort you expend. It takes a hard, hard man or woman to do that for any length of time.

j
Old 02-06-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disheavel View Post
Julia Roberts... and to a lesser extent Tobey McGuire. I've ridden in elevators with both and Julia Roberts was so freaking tiny that I didn't recognize her immediately. Even though she was in make up and going to set and had been known to be in the building for the month.

If I had to guess I would have said she came across as someone that 4'6" and maybe 80 lbs. And 100% eyes and lips. This was nigh 20 years ago and in her prime. But still today every time I see one of her movies, I spend the entire time trying to figure out how they make her look normal. (Rumor has it they do it with Tom Cruise too.)
If they were that small, whoever got on the elevator wasn't Julia Roberts. She's at least 5'7'' and maybe taller. (I saw her several times at a gallery in Taos, maybe 20 years ago.)