Old 02-06-2020, 01:19 PM

I was actually surprised when I learned that Richard Nixon was 6'0" in some article I read in a magazine back in the '70s (or so) with a title something like "The Height Report." (I have tried to find the article by way of "search" but with no luck thus far.)

It must have been around the same time that The Hite Report was popular reading. But I was swayed in my opinion by how short Nixon seemed to me "in my mind's eye." The gist of that article was that we tend to gauge a person's height by our opinion of the person's worth or value as a person.

I have also observed (more often than not) that male movie actors tend to be much shorter than they appear. (There are enough notable exceptions that I probably shouldn't think that way, but that's how it is with me.)

Camera angles and "supporting cast" probably have a lot to do with that!

In some more recent publication than that "Height Report" thing there was a chart or listing of actual heights of popular figures in politics and show business that was quite persuasive delving into that basic theme that we tend to view height as some sort of "moral measure" and as a result have a distorted view of people's actual height.

Anybody else read something similar to that?
Old 02-06-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
I was actually surprised when I learned that Richard Nixon was 6'0" in some article I read in a magazine back in the '70s (or so) with a title something like "The Height Report." (I have tried to find the article by way of "search" but with no luck thus far.)
There have been very few presidents of below average height (only six listed at below 5'8"), and none in the last 100 years. Being short is apparently pretty disqualifying for some jobs.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Heights of all US Presidents

The shortest modern day one was Jimmy Carter at 5' 9.5" tall. Harder short, even by today's standards.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Heights of all US Presidents

The shortest modern day one was Jimmy Carter at 5' 9.5" tall. Harder short, even by today's standards.
Thanks for that, Annie-Xmas, the very article I had been hoping to locate.

(I must assume that differences of less than an inch are quite common -- if not the rule -- in providing actual height details.)
Old 02-06-2020, 01:54 PM

I was ready to post about Michael Jackson, as I'd regularly heard he was about 6'1", but his autopsy says he was only 5'9"
Old 02-06-2020, 02:11 PM

I was surprised to learn that Charles Barkley is "only" 6'6" (shorter than the current NBA average of 6'7"). He seems gigantic - I guess because of his combination of height and width.

Also proves that rebounding is as much a matter of position and boxing out as it is of height...
Old 02-06-2020, 08:20 PM
Suspended

used to be NHL goalies were short but not now. Many are over 6 feet and they can still move fast enough. this guy is 6-7 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Bishop
Old 02-06-2020, 08:56 PM
Suspended

Also Gold medal winner skater Kristi Yamaguchi lived here for a while and I saw her around . She is like 5 feet and 100 lbs soaking wet. Had no idea she was that small. Her husband Brett Hedican is 6-2 210 lbs. They met at the Olympics, he played for the USA hockey team in 1992.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I was surprised to learn that Charles Barkley is "only" 6'6" (shorter than the current NBA average of 6'7"). He seems gigantic - I guess because of his combination of height and width.

Also proves that rebounding is as much a matter of position and boxing out as it is of height...
The NBA distorts all sense of proportion. Guards that are only 6’ tall appear to be munchkins. ISTR a commercial with the original Dream Team where they referred to 6’5” Michael Jordan as “Little Mikey.”
Old 02-06-2020, 09:27 PM

I met Steve Kerr in 1996. He may have been the shortest player on the court but he had a good five inches on me.

Google has Oliver North at 6 ft tall. I call shenanigans. He was at least three inches shorter than me.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:40 PM

I met Bill Bradley once. I'd say 6'5". He didn't seem that tall, but then I'm over six feet, and I was with my 6'5" brother, our 6'3" father, and his 6'4" brother.

Being the little guy in my family, my perception of peoples' heights may be a bit skewed.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post

Charles Barkley wouldn't be 6'6" if he was standing on a concrete block. He's one of the most mis-reported height and weight (245 my ass. More like 300) players. When he played for the Suns, the introductions always said 6'4", and we're pretty sure he was more like 6'2-3".

His skills were good, no denying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
For those of you who are as ignorant about cycling as I am:

"Peloton" - The main densely packed group of cyclists in a race. LOL
I thought it meant he was dragging that annoying stationary bicycle behind him.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Charles Barkley wouldn't be 6'6" if he was standing on a concrete block. He's one of the most mis-reported height and weight (245 my ass. More like 300) players. When he played for the Suns, the introductions always said 6'4", and we're pretty sure he was more like 6'2-3".
Hence the apropos nickname: the round mound of rebound.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:32 PM

Henry Winkler... not now, but when he was the Fonz I met him in a store in Chicago (I was in my early teens) as we were both buying leather jackets. Great and very friendly guy but I was amazed at how short he was... probably didn't help that he had a probably 6' red haired gorgeous woman wearing high heels on his arm.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Also Gold medal winner skater Kristi Yamaguchi lived here for a while and I saw her around . She is like 5 feet and 100 lbs soaking wet. Had no idea she was that small. Her husband Brett Hedican is 6-2 210 lbs. They met at the Olympics, he played for the USA hockey team in 1992.
We used to have season hockey tickets and would see her at games sometimes. I wasn't surprised by her size - most ice skaters are small. Her daughters are going to end up a good bit taller though!
Old 02-07-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Hence the apropos nickname: the round mound of rebound.
There's a local commercial with Dan Majerle (for a laser vision place) where he is now happy he can read the menu in his restaurant again. Upon reviewing his menu, he sees "Sir Charles Chicken pasta?" How about a salad!"
Old 02-07-2020, 12:52 PM

NBA heights are usually listed in their basketball shoes. Michael Jordan’s actual height is 6’4 3/4”. Barkley is the same height, as you can see in pictures of when they played together and they were eye to eye.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:42 PM

For a long time I didn't realize Conan O'Brien was so tall. He doesn't look tall by himself while doing a monologue or sitting at a desk. It's only when I started watching his segments on YouTube where he would go visit people that I realized that he's 6'4".
Old 02-07-2020, 03:19 PM

Chuck Todd. 5'2". Gobsmacked me, he plays much taller
Old 02-07-2020, 06:01 PM

When I met Alan Rickman, I was surprised he seemed shorter than I expected. I mean, I knew he was like 6 foot-ish before meeting him, and I had just been watching him on stage opposite Jerry O'Connell and they were similar in size. But in person Alan Rickman just didn't seem as tall. Jerry, on the other hand seemed taller.

So weird.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
For a long time I didn't realize Conan O'Brien was so tall. He doesn't look tall by himself while doing a monologue or sitting at a desk. It's only when I started watching his segments on YouTube where he would go visit people that I realized that he's 6'4".
Yes. I've seen him on the street. He's tall, taller than me by a bit.

You know who is not tall? Anderson Cooper. I've seen him on the street a few times (he lives in the neighborhood where my father used to live). He is a short man. Probably doesn't look so short on television because he's super-fit. I couldn't give you an accurate number, but definitely shorter than average.

Last edited by Saintly Loser; 02-07-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:14 PM

Most of my heroes from teen-age years are significantly short: Brando, James Dean, Newman, Redford and, of course, the older "gangsters" like Cagney, Robinson, etc.

The shock comes from the other direction when those "look short" guys turn out to be much taller than my "mind's eye" sees them.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

I never thought Stephen King was short, but in person he is huge: 6'5" and hefty.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post

You know who is not tall? Anderson Cooper. I've seen him on the street a few times (he lives in the neighborhood where my father used to live). He is a short man. Probably doesn't look so short on television because he's super-fit. I couldn't give you an accurate number, but definitely shorter than average.
Googling him brings up 5'10. You would say this is inaccurate?
Old 02-08-2020, 12:33 PM

I was surprised to learn that all of the Three Stooges (either Moe/Larry/Curly or Moe/Larry/Shemp lineups) were either 5'3" or 5'4". A lot shorter than I would have thought.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:35 PM

There was an excellent, highly-acclaimed British televsion production back in the early 70s on the story of Scott of the Antarctic. I was intrigued by the height of the main actor (who was excellent, btw) but was unsure of what his true height was.
In a doc on its making, fascintating outtakes show that the film crew had ingeniously dug trenches in all the sets that this actor appeared in, allowing him to wear crates strapped under his feet to ensure that he was still walking at ground level, and thus, the integrity of his height - brilliantly maintained.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Googling him brings up 5'10. You would say this is inaccurate?
I would, based on having passed him on the sidewalk about half a dozen times.

Unless there's some dude wandering around Greenwich Village who looks just like him, except shorter.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:31 PM

John Waters was taller than I expected. He's 6'2".

Sylvester Stallone always seemed tall when I was a kid. He towered over fellow actors in Death Race 2000 and Rocky. Then in Rocky 3, Mr T was taller than him. I knew Talia Shire, Burt Young and Burgess Meredith were short, but it wasn't until the A Team started and Mr T was the shortest cast member that I realized the trick Sly pulled by casting short actors to make him look tall.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
There was an excellent, highly-acclaimed British televsion production back in the early 70s on the story of Scott of the Antarctic. I was intrigued by the height of the main actor (who was excellent, btw) but was unsure of what his true height was.
In a doc on its making, fascintating outtakes show that the film crew had ingeniously dug trenches in all the sets that this actor appeared in, allowing him to wear crates strapped under his feet to ensure that he was still walking at ground level, and thus, the integrity of his height - brilliantly maintained.
I'm confused by this, and you might need to re-explain it a bit for the thickies like me. The actor playing Scott was too tall? He was X feet, so they dug a trench but then added crates on his feet to negate the depth of the trench, X - T + C, where T=C.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:49 PM

I was surprised by the disagreement over Arnold Schwarzenegger’s height-

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...-actual-height
Old 02-08-2020, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

I thought of Amy Schumer as being short and Tina Fey as being tall, but then I saw them in the same sketch. Schumer is 5'7" and Fey is 5'4.5". I think my perception was influenced by the personalities they adopt in their work. It may also be because of their builds.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
I thought of Amy Schumer as being short and Tina Fey as being tall, but then I saw them in the same sketch. Schumer is 5'7" and Fey is 5'4.5". I think my perception was influenced by the personalities they adopt in their work. It may also be because of their builds.
That surprises me a little about Fey. I would have guessed her to be in the 5’7” range. I actually would have guessed that Schumer was taller than that. She seems pretty good sized to me.

Amy Poehler is listed at 5’2”. That sounds about right.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
Chuck Todd. 5'2". Gobsmacked me, he plays much taller
I don’t think this is accurate; he’d be far out of proportion to his live guests. I’d be gobsmacked if it was true, too.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

It's also kind of interesting that Tina Fey's husband (Jeff Richmond) is two and a half inches shorter than her, since he's 5'2".
Old 02-08-2020, 11:09 PM

Leonard Nimoy went from being the "tall" guy on Star Trek to being the "short" guy on Mission:Impossible.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
I don’t think this is accurate; he’d be far out of proportion to his live guests. I’d be gobsmacked if it was true, too.
https://celebspodium.com/media/chuck...nbc-net-worth/

Itty bitty guy

Last edited by DummyGladHands; 02-08-2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Some examples of this are Robert Conrad, Jet Li, Sylvester Stallone, Ben Stiller, Danny Trejo, and Mark Wahlberg - all of whom are shorter than average height.
Well, now I feel bad.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:38 AM

A random tour through celebheights.com informs me that Leonardo DiCaprio is just shy of six feet. I would have guessed he was a bit shorter than average.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:47 AM

Re: julia Roberts, I was on a film set with her on her birthday in 1998. I am exactly 6' and she seemed pretty tall for a woman.

Re: Patton Oswalt and 5'5 being "short" or "slightly below average" for a man, 5'5 is around the 10th percentile for height in grown men. I think it's safe to say that is considerably below average.

Last edited by actualliberalnotoneofthose; 02-09-2020 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I think terms like "slightly below average" or "slightly above average" or "considerably below average" or "considerably above average" or anything similar are useless. People mean different things by those terms. You should always talk in terms like "X inches below the mean, which is Y inches" or "X inches above the mean, which is Y inches" or "in the bottom X percent" or "in the top X percent" or "more than X standard deviations below the mean" or "more than X standard deviations above the mean". Those terms have precise meanings.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
Again, I call nonsense. Just because it’s written in a random website doesn’t make it true.

Here is a picture of him standing with other prominent news people. How tall is Matt Lauer, who is only slightly taller? Or Megyn Kelly, who is slightly shorter than Todd?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...iere-June.html

Last edited by Moriarty; 02-09-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I think terms like "slightly below average" or "slightly above average" or "considerably below average" or "considerably above average" or anything similar are useless. People mean different things by those terms. You should always talk in terms like "X inches below the mean, which is Y inches" or "X inches above the mean, which is Y inches" or "in the bottom X percent" or "in the top X percent" or "more than X standard deviations below the mean" or "more than X standard deviations above the mean". Those terms have precise meanings.
We're not doing science here, man. We're chitchatting about celebrities.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

I was surprised to find out that Jimmy Fallon is 6 feet tall. He always seemed smaller to me.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Post #89 shows that we have to be precise here even if we're just chatting about celebrities, since it's really just a disagreement about what "slightly" means.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:03 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
I was surprised by the disagreement over Arnold Schwarzenegger’s height-

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...-actual-height
In a mildly interesting coincidence, both my Sister and one of my best friends have met Schwarz. Sister in an elevator, Friend at a car show. Sister is 5'7 and was surprised by Arnie's height- said that although he wasn't small or unimposing, he wasn't nearly so big as she might have expected.
Friend at car show, who's 6', also standing about arm's length away from A, says that he was at least as tall as the ex-Gov.

Discuss.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Post #89 shows that we have to be precise here even if we're just chatting about celebrities, since it's really just a disagreement about what "slightly" means.
Only if you think that being shorter than 90% of all grown men is reasonably debatable as "slightly below average." No one is height-shaming here or anything, and no need to be "precise" when we are talking about numbers obviously outside of a typical range. It's not like we are nitpicking the difference between 5'10 and 5'9.75 and calling the 5'9.75 guy short. I would have the same reaction if you said a 6'5 guy was "slightly taller than average." No, that guy would be very tall, taller than most men by a lot.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksiaman View Post
I'm confused by this, and you might need to re-explain it a bit for the thickies like me. The actor playing Scott was too tall? He was X feet, so they dug a trench but then added crates on his feet to negate the depth of the trench, X - T + C, where T=C.
It's a Monty Python reference.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:29 AM
Suspended

BB players often add inches but Spud Webb is really 5-7 and won NBA dunk contest one year. Mugsy Bogues is 5-3. Both of them lasted 10+ years in the NBA as guards. I saw both of them play in person in college and you could really tell how short they are.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:48 PM

Rod Serling was 5' 4". I never would have guessed he was that tiny.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:58 AM
Suspended

I knew Gwendoline Christie was tall but she is 6-3. Thought she was around 6 feet. And with heels she is 6-6 or 6-7.