Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-07-2020, 12:08 PM
jharvey963 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,712

I stream TV thru a Roku box. How can I watch the Academy Awards?


I cut the cord and stream everything I watch on TV through a Roku box. How can I watch (for free) the Academy Awards this Sunday? Is there a free channel that will carry it?

Thanks,
J.
  #2  
Old 02-07-2020, 12:19 PM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,507
https://oscar.go.com/faq

Nothing for free. Looks like it's only available on the ABC app if you have a cable subscription. Otherwise you need YouTubeTV or Hulu with Live.
  #3  
Old 02-07-2020, 12:28 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 29,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharvey963 View Post
Is there a free channel that will carry it?
Well, you could watch it on the over-the-air ABC affiliate station in your area.
  #4  
Old 02-07-2020, 12:38 PM
filmore is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Well, you could watch it on the over-the-air ABC affiliate station in your area.
Right. A lot of people forget or don't know that many networks can be received with an antenna. If you have cut the cord, getting an antenna is a great way to watch shows on the major networks. There's also a number of other sub-channels that show more oddball content like old reruns, movies, game shows and stuff like that. If you live in a major area, a simple antenna will likely work fine. If you end up watching a lot of OTA content, it's handy to get an OTA DVR so you can watch stuff whenever you want.
  #5  
Old 02-07-2020, 12:43 PM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 19,767
If you live in an urban area, you can see if Locast is an option. They stream over-the-air television for free (well, they accept donations).

Edit: I haven't tried it and was reading older articles saying you'll get bugged for a donation while watching so maybe try it now and see if it'll work or is a dead end option.

Last edited by Jophiel; 02-07-2020 at 12:48 PM.
  #6  
Old 02-07-2020, 12:53 PM
That Don Guy's Avatar
That Don Guy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
Right. A lot of people forget or don't know that many networks can be received with an antenna.
Much easier said than done in some cases, including mine. I live about halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento, in an area surrounded by hills, and as I live in a townhouse, I can't install a rooftop antenna (and even if I could, I don't think it would be high enough to do any good), so I can't get either city's broadcast network stations with any degree of certainty, except for the San Francisco area's NBC affiliate, which has a repeater tower closer to where I live as it is a San Jose station and has no broadcast tower in San Francisco.
  #7  
Old 02-07-2020, 01:23 PM
ZipperJJ's Avatar
ZipperJJ is online now
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 25,706
Doesn't hurt to try the antenna, though. Go to your local Best Buy or even Wal Mart and pick one out. They're like $30-50. Don't need anything on the roof or outside (to start). Bring it home and hook it up and see if it works. If not, take it back to the store where you got it. At least now you know.

I have a pair of rabbit ears, not even a fancy Leaf-like antenna, and I get some 30 channels OTA. As That Don Guy says, tho, your mileage may vary.
  #8  
Old 02-07-2020, 01:26 PM
peedin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,208
From USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...20/4649470002/
  #9  
Old 02-07-2020, 02:33 PM
PastTense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
https://oscar.go.com/faq

Nothing for free. Looks like it's only available on the ABC app if you have a cable subscription. Otherwise you need YouTubeTV or Hulu with Live.
Well YoutubTV has a 2 week free trial (offer ending February 13):
https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

And Hulu with Live has a 7 day free trial:
https://www.hulu.com/start/newhome
  #10  
Old 02-07-2020, 02:51 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 28,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
Right. A lot of people forget or don't know that many networks can be received with an antenna.
Some of us remember when that was the only way to watch TV.
  #11  
Old 02-07-2020, 03:44 PM
pirviii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 17
I'm happy I live within sight of the mountain with the transmission antennas on it, I put and antennae in the attic and connected it into the cable that was already there. I get 40 or so channels, but half of them are foreign language or religious. I wish there was more variety in the other then network channels. i guess the local audience likes old B&W westerns because there are 3 channels of those.
  #12  
Old 02-07-2020, 03:59 PM
Mind's Eye, Watering is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Well YoutubTV has a 2 week free trial (offer ending February 13):
https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

And Hulu with Live has a 7 day free trial:
https://www.hulu.com/start/newhome
That's what I came in to say.
  #13  
Old 02-07-2020, 04:13 PM
erysichthon's Avatar
erysichthon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
If you live in an urban area, you can see if Locast is an option. They stream over-the-air television for free (well, they accept donations).

Edit: I haven't tried it and was reading older articles saying you'll get bugged for a donation while watching so maybe try it now and see if it'll work or is a dead end option.
I watched the Oscars with Locast last year. Every 15 minutes, the streaming stopped and I got the message asking me to donate. Then I would exit the app and restart it, and I'd be good for another 15 minutes. I don't think I'm going to do that this year.

I have an antenna, but all I can pick up are religious and foreign-language channels, and that Ion network that shows Blue Bloods (and similar crime-drama fare) all day. I can sorta get a Fox affiliate station but it goes away the moment I take my hand off the antenna.

The "sign in with your cable provider" thing drives me nuts. If had a cable provider, why would I need to stream it on a Roku? The only exception is NBC, which offers three "credits" when you install their Roku appóbut provides no way to get more once you've used those up.
  #14  
Old 02-07-2020, 06:13 PM
filmore is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,829
If you're considering an antenna, there are websites where you can enter your location and it estimates which channels you'll get based on tower location and terrain, such as AntennaWeb.
  #15  
Old 02-07-2020, 08:07 PM
Sarabellum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 1,899
Try Puffer. It's free, doesn't work that well all the time, and it only gets San Francisco affiliates, but it's better than nothing.

https://puffer.stanford.edu/
  #16  
Old 02-13-2020, 10:50 PM
Doug K. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Hutchinson, KS
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
Right. A lot of people forget or don't know that many networks can be received with an antenna. If you have cut the cord, getting an antenna is a great way to watch shows on the major networks. There's also a number of other sub-channels that show more oddball content like old reruns, movies, game shows and stuff like that. If you live in a major area, a simple antenna will likely work fine. If you end up watching a lot of OTA content, it's handy to get an OTA DVR so you can watch stuff whenever you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Some of us remember when that was the only way to watch TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Much easier said than done in some cases, including mine. I live about halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento, in an area surrounded by hills, and as I live in a townhouse, I can't install a rooftop antenna (and even if I could, I don't think it would be high enough to do any good), so I can't get either city's broadcast network stations with any degree of certainty, except for the San Francisco area's NBC affiliate, which has a repeater tower closer to where I live as it is a San Jose station and has no broadcast tower in San Francisco.
What That Don Guy said. I've been a cord cutter for I don't remember how many years. Where I live now I get quite a few channels over the air even though I'm not in a large city. But for a ten years I lived in a town where during the analog days you could pick up all the major networks with a tall enough mast. After the switch to digital they lost everything, leaving a lot of houses with antennas on the roof that were useless for anything but radio.
  #17  
Old 02-14-2020, 12:18 PM
bump is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 19,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Doesn't hurt to try the antenna, though. Go to your local Best Buy or even Wal Mart and pick one out. They're like $30-50. Don't need anything on the roof or outside (to start). Bring it home and hook it up and see if it works. If not, take it back to the store where you got it. At least now you know.

I have a pair of rabbit ears, not even a fancy Leaf-like antenna, and I get some 30 channels OTA. As That Don Guy says, tho, your mileage may vary.
A lot of the modern ones are amplified, so they produce better signals at longer ranges than older styles.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017