Old 04-20-2011, 10:35 AM
BANNED

Stupid liberal idea of the day

So many to choose from.... Let's start with a classic example of the jackass Nanny State mentality:

Quote:
Red rover, red rover, send the New York State Department of Health right over. And back and forth the state agency is going, wobbling between regulating classic outdoor games such as Red Rover and pulling all regulations on those games.

To appease a 2009 law (set to hit the books this year) aimed at regulating summer and day camp programs , the agency formed a list of “non-passive recreational activities with significant risk of injury” that if a program took part in would then classify the program as a camp, requiring additional—and costly—staffing for medical purposes and record keeping.

The list, which went before the state's legislature, hit the public this month and surprised more than a few people with the inclusion of wiffleball, red rover, dodgeball, kickball, tag (of all forms, even the ever-popular freeze tag), capture the flag, tetherball and so many more.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/04/20/...#ixzz1K4sONFA1

Wiffleball? Freeze tag? I'm surprised the legislature didn't mandate that kids all be wrapped in cotton padding 24/7 until their 18th birthday. A perfect example of government "fixing" something that was never broken, and doing so in a massive stupid manner.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:41 AM

Streeeeeeeeeeeetch...
Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 AM

Dumb fucking liberals! Insisting that medical aid be available in case a kid gets hurt.

What's wrong with: "Rub some dirt on it, you little pansy?"
Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 AM

The Department of Health yesterday announced they had changed their policy on most of the sports, as your link says.

Quote:
Then an odd thing happened on Tuesday afternoon. The agency pulled its entire list of guidelines, scrapping the five-page document made in January outlining which activities were acceptable and which required more oversight.

“We have withdrawn the guidance and are looking at new guidance,” Claudia Hutton, the agency's public affairs director tells NewsFeed. “The guidance previously issued under a different administration needed further review.”

Last edited by Captain Amazing; 04-20-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

It sounds like all they're saying is if you have kids doing things known to be inherently dangerous you need to have someone around who maybe knows stuff like CPR. Doesn't seem too different than saying if you're gonna have a pool you need a lifegaurd. We're taking about summer camp, not your back yard.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, seems a bit stupid. If you hadn't stopped reading there, you might have noticed this, two paragraphs later:

Quote:
Then an odd thing happened on Tuesday afternoon. The agency pulled its entire list of guidelines, scrapping the five-page document made in January outlining which activities were acceptable and which required more oversight.

“We have withdrawn the guidance and are looking at new guidance,” Claudia Hutton, the agency's public affairs director tells NewsFeed. “The guidance previously issued under a different administration needed further review.”
If the worst "stupid liberal idea" you can come up with is a wiffle-ball prohibition that was apparently never even implemented, I guess we're not doing too badly?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 AM

Err... so a summer camp has to employ someone who knows first aid and CPR, and keep a first aid kit handy? Oh Noes, how ever will they meet such onerous requirements?

(Seriously, how the hell does this increase costs for any one in any way? TFA quotes some state legislator who says something to that effect, but doesn't give any specifics.)
Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

OK, Clothahump's first effort was a fail, but there are better examples if you know where to look:

Quote:
Florida officials are investigating an unemployment agency that spent public money to give 6,000 superhero capes to the jobless.

Workforce Central Florida spent more than $14,000 on the red capes as part of its "Cape-A-Bility Challenge" public relations campaign. The $73,000 campaign features a cartoon character "Dr. Evil Unemployment" who needs to be vanquished....
Admittedly, it's not obvious why this is a "liberal" idea per se, but it's a government benefits program, which is close enough. So, let's just forget that first embarrassment ever happened and pick up with this one, shall we?

Last edited by Steve MB; 04-20-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Clothahump isn't very smart. Can we get another conservative to in here to keep this thread moving?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Fair enough. There aren't enough in the world for that one. And $73k could actually be spent on something useful, like computers that unemployed people can use to find jobs, along with a part-time tech support guy to maintain 'em.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
So many to choose from....
Then why on earth did you choose that one?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Admittedly, it's not obvious why this is a "liberal" idea per se, but it's a government benefits program, which is close enough. So, let's just forget that first embarrassment ever happened and pick up with this one, shall we?
But it's Florida. Just about everything that happens there is batshit crazy. I've never been, but is there some sort of IQ test you have to fail at the border before they let you in?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Admittedly, it's not obvious why this is a "liberal" idea per se, but it's a government benefits program, which is close enough.
Is Superman a liberal? I always had him pegged for a righty, with all the law-and-order bullshit and the lantern jaw. A liberal superhero would definitely be sporting a weak chin.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK, Clothahump's first effort was a fail, but there are better examples if you know where to look:

Dude! ANY money spent on Superhero capes is money well spent!
Go ahead - raise my taxes - Superhero capes for EVERYONE!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry but this example is just hilarious. Buying unemployed people red capes as part of a program called the "Cape-a-Bility Challenge" in order to vanquish "Dr Evil Unemployment"?

I can't believe that's even real.

"Hey, I still haven't found a job, but I have this nifty cape!".
Old 04-20-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing View Post
The Department of Health yesterday announced they had changed their policy on most of the sports, as your link says.
In Clothahump's defense, he may have assumed the rescindment was pursued by gun-loving Kenyan-hating conservative Americans, and so didn't contradict his theme.

But that's nonsense, of course. The right-wingers would have formed into several camps, none working for rescindment:
  • Those blowing it out of proportion to prove "liberals suck."
  • Those whose main concern would be that immigrants not get access to the extra medical care.
  • Those working to ensure that any new public contracts are overpriced and delivered to their right-wing favorites like Haliburtion and Corrections Corp.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Clothahump is the Charlie Sheen of the board. He always thinks he's winning despite all empirical evidence.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Is Superman a liberal? I always had him pegged for a righty, with all the law-and-order bullshit and the lantern jaw. A liberal superhero would definitely be sporting a weak chin.
That explains why Ollie Queen grew that goatee -- to hide his weak chin.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Has anyone considered the air-traffic control implications of thousands of moochers and bums whizzing through the skies? OK, maybe "whizzing" isn't the best word....
Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 AM

I'm gonna start wearing a cape to my interviews.

Can't hurt.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Has anyone considered the air-traffic control implications of thousands of moochers and bums whizzing through the skies? OK, maybe "whizzing" isn't the best word....
Would a copy of Atlas Shrugged weaken them like Kryptonite weakens Superman?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Is Superman a liberal?
Well, he is for Truth and Justice.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 AM

Only 2852 posts and 168,180 views to go before you match the "Stupid Republican Idea of the Day" thread Clothahump! Of course, can we still count posts that mock you or the idea?

But that other thread is about a particular party - its relatively easy to define who is, or who is not a Republican. This thread is about the waffly term "liberal". I guess it's easier to just pick a silly idea and label it "liberal". Makes it easier for you I guess. If an idea is silly it is, by your definition, "liberal".
Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
But that other thread is about a particular party - its relatively easy to define who is, or who is not a Republican. This thread is about the waffly term "liberal". I guess it's easier to just pick a silly idea and label it "liberal". Makes it easier for you I guess. If an idea is silly it is, by your definition, "liberal".
In all fairness, there's lots of discussion about Tea Partiers and the like in that thread, who are likely to be Republican but aren't always.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
BANNED

How is that a liberal idea? It that because CLOTHAHUMP says so? Seems like an insurance company, right wing, anti public education conspiracy to me.
If that his answer to Stupid Right Wing threads he brought a pop gun to a nuclear war.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybratsche View Post
Err... so a summer camp has to employ someone who knows first aid and CPR, and keep a first aid kit handy? Oh Noes, how ever will they meet such onerous requirements?

(Seriously, how the hell does this increase costs for any one in any way? TFA quotes some state legislator who says something to that effect, but doesn't give any specifics.)
No.

Suppose your neighborhood association sets up a week long event where the kids come for, say, three hours an afternoon for a week to play games and have fun. By no stretch of the imagination is this a "camp", but under these guidelines, it would be, with registration fees, etc., etc..

And yes, folks, NY did back off. The issue was not that they backed off, but that they did it in the first place.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
And yes, folks, NY did back off. The issue was not that they backed off, but that they did it in the first place.
And how did you identify those responsible as liberal?
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Only 2852 posts and 168,180 views to go before you match the "Stupid Republican Idea of the Day" thread Clothahump! Of course, can we still count posts that mock you or the idea?
We'd need some way to count and sort out which are which. So far, I'd say about 30 percent serious, 70 percent mock.
BANNED

Quote:

It wasn't a failure. I was pointing out the idiocy of NY doing it in the first place. I'm sorry that point swooshed right over your head.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
So many to choose from.... Let's start with a classic example of the jackass Nanny State mentality:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/04/20/...#ixzz1K4sONFA1

Wiffleball? Freeze tag? I'm surprised the legislature didn't mandate that kids all be wrapped in cotton padding 24/7 until their 18th birthday. A perfect example of government "fixing" something that was never broken, and doing so in a massive stupid manner.
Oh, it's pretty damn stupid, no argument there.

The Dumb is strong with them.

HOWEVER!!!!!! They did pull it, after further consideration. That should copunt for something.

Last edited by SteveG1; 04-20-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
I haven't busted out my sig line in a coon's age. Seems like as good a time as any.

Last edited by Jack Batty; 04-20-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
Then why on earth did you choose that one?
As good a place as any.

I could have started with Obamacare. I could have gone back to Social Security and Medicare. We are all aware that those are massive doses of liberal stupidity; I chose something more recent.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:

The Governor of Florida is a Republican.

The Florida House is Republican.

The Florida Senate is Republican.

I think you're in the wrong thread.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
It wasn't a failure. I was pointing out the idiocy of NY doing it in the first place. I'm sorry that point swooshed right over your head.
That actually made me laugh out loud. So it was a swhoosh, huh? Ha ha ha ha, yeah, right. You are a silly man.

Last edited by PlainJain; 04-20-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I could have started with Obamacare. I could have gone back to Social Security and Medicare. We are all aware that those are massive doses of liberal stupidity
True for very limited values of 'we.'
Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black rabbit View Post
The Governor of Florida is a Republican.

The Florida House is Republican.

The Florida Senate is Republican.

I think you're in the wrong thread.
Points taken.

Hokay, does anybody have an acutal example of liberal stupidity that isn't 1)something that was quickly retracted on second thought or 2)something performed under conservative (rather than liberal) management?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
True for very limited values of 'we.'
Personally, I'd like to hear directly from the mouse in his pocket.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:22 PM

I'm seeing something in the New Ager arena as being plumb pickings. Or perhaps PETA can get a name-check.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Points taken.

Hokay, does anybody have an acutal example of liberal stupidity that isn't 1)something that was quickly retracted on second thought or 2)something performed under conservative (rather than liberal) management?
Liberals believe that it is a legitimate role of the state to address economic and social issues such as unemployment, health care, and education while simultaneously expanding civil rights.

They dumb! Hurrrrrrrr!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Magical or psychic powers?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM

Well there was the Democrat Hank Johnson who worreid that Guam might "tip over and capsize" due to US military buildup. That was a year ago, though.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
As good a place as any.

I could have started with Obamacare. I could have gone back to Social Security and Medicare. We are all aware that those are massive doses of liberal stupidity; I chose something more recent.
So why do conservatives and Tea Partiers overwhelmingly oppose cuts to Medicare and Medicaid? In a Marist/McClatchy poll released on April 18 (PDF), 73% of Republicans opposed Medicare cuts, and 70% of Tea Partiers opposed cuts to Medicare to reduce the deficit.

Who is out of touch, you or the conservatives?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
The issue was not that they backed off, but that they did it in the first place.
Whoah there big fellah!

Are you sure you want to open this up to ANYTHING advanced from the far left whether or not it is generally accepted by main-stream liberals (or even the D party)? To do so invites conservatives to be lumped in with fascists, unabombers, skinheads, M.Bachmann, etc.

There are embarassments on both sides. A useful thread might be an equal-opportunity bash of extremism. But a bash of EVERYTHING left of center is pretty pointless.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And something extremely simple and inconsequential that you're more likely to comprehend. Unlike "Obamacare," which I am fairly confident you know almost nothing about except that it's "socialist."
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I would like an explanation of this, as well. I've noticed the more vocal the conservative, the more likely that conservative is to blame anything bad on liberals.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
When did "no takebacks" get called?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
Well there was the Democrat Hank Johnson who worreid that Guam might "tip over and capsize" due to US military buildup. That was a year ago, though.
At the time, I thought he should have an MRI to check for a brain tumor. Then this came out:

Quote:
n December 2009, Johnson revealed that he had been battling Hepatitis C for over a decade, which resulted in slow speech and a tendency to regularly get "lost in thought in the middle of a discussion"
Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 PM

OK, quickly now, name 3 major ways in which "Obamacare" differs significantly from the health plan proposed by George Bush? Bonus points for 'off the top of my head, without Google"
Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
So why do conservatives and Tea Partiers overwhelmingly oppose cuts to Medicare and Medicaid? In a Marist/McClatchy poll released on April 18 (PDF), 73% of Republicans opposed Medicare cuts, and 70% of Tea Partiers opposed cuts to Medicare to reduce the deficit.
My guess would be that Clothahump has examined the Republicans and the Tea Partiers and found them to be, to his mind, Liberals. Thus, no disconnect.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:01 PM

Clothahump, you might have better luck with a "Stupid Democrat Idea Of The Day". It might be arguable whether a stupid thing is liberal or comes from a liberal, but if the politician who has the dumb idea calls him or herself a Democrat, there's no arguing on that point.