Old 07-23-2019, 07:59 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Trumpism is a white nationalist movement and she’s an elected person of color. They need to keep their rapid base angry and mobilized for the election.

I believe you mean rabid.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
But, it's really important at the moment for everyone of color in the Democratic party to prove more innocent and impeachable than ever before, since the 70s.
So, black people should stay out of politics unless they can live up to a higher standard than we expect for white people?
Old 07-23-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Do you have evidence that Elmi is her brother? Or do you have stupid shit like he called her nieces and nephews his "nieces and nephews?" My wife does that with my extended family, and I'm pretty sure she isn't my sister.
My African friends certainly seem to refer to any older relation who isn't a parent as "uncle" or "aunty" regardless of the actual familial relationship (and indeed do the same to unrelated family friends), and the reverse (nieces/nephews for children, even if not literally true) isn't uncommon either. It seems to be an African thing.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
So, black people should stay out of politics unless they can live up to a higher standard than we expect for white people?
Even then, I think Sage Rat would prefer it if they just stayed out of public life.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
A brown woman with a different religion has dared to occupy a position of authority and speak against the Great White Father, and this simply will not do.
Quote:
Trumpism is a white nationalist movement and she’s an elected person of color. They need to keep their rapid base angry and mobilized for the election.
Yeah, I think a lot of future MAGAsses were freaked out by having a black man--who was also a possible Kenyan Mooslim--as a president. The horror!

One anecdote I've posted before is that after Oprah gave a speech at the Oscars and some people were saying she should run for president, one die-hard MAGAss I know posted on Facebook something to this effect:

"I don't mean to sound racist, but didn't we already have a black president? Let's not make the same mistake twice."

As I've also mentioned, his issue wasn't that Oprah wasn't qualified or had no experience in government or the military, because that applies to Trump, and unlike Trump, she actually runs a successful business empire. His issue, according to what he posted, is that she's black.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Bullshit. You believe it with the fanaticism of the classic convert.
And for that there is evidence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Individual 1 repeated the calumny that Ilhan Omar married her brother.
https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...nter-us-2019-7
Quote:
I'd advise against getting too defensive towards Omar on that one. The information that Omar can't delete is all conducive to the brother hypothesis and the information which is purported to have been deleted, if faked, would have required professional photo shoots, professional photo manipulation, and professional graphic design to pull off. Given that this is supposed to have been pulled off by some crazy right-wing blogger, not the CIA, and that the story does originate out of her country of birth, not the right wing web, I'd expect to get egg on my face by standing too close to her.

The more the Democrats defend Omar, the greater the chance that they take a severe political hit if the evidence comes in. That evidence does seem relatively likely to come in.
Doesn't believe it but believes there is evidence for it?
Old 07-23-2019, 09:29 AM

This thread seems to be lacking...not sure what, but I'll just start another IO thread just in case.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I have no way of knowing (short of emailing the author) but, given that they're giving quotes from her that are conversational, I would assume that they interviewed her and that she's their source for the information. They have simply compressed down the conversation to be more readable.

She's 36. Assuming that her grandfather is 40ish years older than her and probably wouldn't get into all that high of a position until he was past 40, that would have him start being eligible for the role around 1983 (?). Barre was ousted in 1991. The Isaaq Genocide was undertaken in the 1987 to 1989 period. Her grandfather might have been 44-46 years old during that period - which sounds about right.
You assume a lot. When come back, bring facts.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
The alternative is that a few right-wing bloggers were able to falsify a fairly prodigious quantity of screenshots, learning Somali along the way, at a much higher level than their graphic abilities would seem to indicate. And then, for whatever reason, Omar decided that she didn't like the prospect of the free money that she could get by suing their assess.

And, further, that Omar's husband, asked to give his address, decided to give Omar's husband's address instead of his own. Omar's husband didn't leave that address until a few months later.

I'll also note that a fair quantity of what they have alleged is independently verifiable. Screenshots being faked as may be, if you can verify something as true, it doesn't matter that you got to it via a liar. Any hypothesis needs to explain the available truths.

As it is, I was able to verify that the family is still friendly with the ex, which does contend with the divorce proceedings; that Omar's dad goes by another name in person than he does legally; address information puts Omar with both husbands at the same time, which goes against her current story; and the person who originally started the story seems to have been a guy who simply dislikes hypocrites in the Somali community, was a moderator on his site, and he cited his work.
Very important points. Let's follow up as soon as Epstein and all his friends are behind bars.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
My African friends certainly seem to refer to any older relation who isn't a parent as "uncle" or "aunty" regardless of the actual familial relationship (and indeed do the same to unrelated family friends), and the reverse (nieces/nephews for children, even if not literally true) isn't uncommon either. It seems to be an African thing.
The latinx side of our family does it too. I also call my husband's relatives my nieces, nephews, etc. Shocking!

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 07-23-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I’m white and from the Pacific Northwest, and we do that. I am “uncle” to some of my friends’ kids, and my daughter has plenty of “aunts” and “uncles” that are just friends of my wife and I. This isn’t just an African thing.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
This thread seems to be lacking...not sure what, but I'll just start another IO thread just in case.
Substance?
Evidence?
A reply from the OP?
Any sense of shame whatsoever?
Old 07-23-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I believe you mean rabid.
I actually meant anti-democratic racist fucking trash and by far the biggest threat to America, but yeah, also rabid, not rapid.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I’m white and from the Pacific Northwest, and we do that. I am “uncle” to some of my friends’ kids, and my daughter has plenty of “aunts” and “uncles” that are just friends of my wife and I. This isn’t just an African thing.
White and from southern US. I'm Aunt Raven to all my friends' kids. It seems pretty widespread.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I don't believe it, as said in post 79.

As I have said, many times, my point is that it's unwise for the Democratic party to put all of its eggs into one basket at this moment in time, not that there's a correct basket. If you decide that I'm saying something other than that, when I clearly say that this is how to read my statements, then I can't really help you.
People who don't believe something don't advocate so strongly for them. They don't come up with complicated ways to ignore the evidence that contradicts said belief. If you were truly neutral, you would recognize that all evidence is against your claim, but you don't--not just no evidence, but negative evidence.

You can say you don't believe it all you want, but your repeated actions demonstrate otherwise. The entire point of the "just asking questions" trolling technique that you continue to use is to pretend you do not believe something while just asking questions about it.

You keep on talking about all of this evidence that would be difficult to fake. But you have provided none of this evidence. You refuse to bring the evidence that you claim exists to proper scrutiny. Why would you do this other than to push a narrative? (And why do you keep ignoring how easy it is to fake a screenshot. You just edit the page in place.)

People don't listen to your words when your actions do not back them up. You argue like the rape apologist who says they aren't actually defending the rapist. Then why the constant excuses?

Last edited by BigT; 07-23-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

In my family we describe close friends who aren't relatives "dutch" <insert kinship term>. For example, several of my parents' friends when I was growing up I called Aunt <name> or Uncle <name>, but when explaining the relationship to someone else they were described as being my "dutch aunt" or my "dutch uncle".

And now that I think of it, that seems an odd term. I'm wondering about the origin.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:33 PM

The Wikipedia page on the term may surprise you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_uncle

Was your Dutch uncle an asshole?
Old 07-23-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
If you care to defend her, then defend her.
We already have. We do it each time. But you always have an excuse for why that evidence doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that the brother is already an immediate family member, so marrying him would be pointless. It doesn't matter that this was turned over to the authorities and they said there was nothing there to investigate. It doesn't matter that the source is a bunch of screenshots, easily faked, from a right wing smear campaign years ago. It doesn't matter that every actual expert says that there's no evidence.

No, Sage Rat the Rational says there is something there, and we are all supposed to bow down to your superior logic that doesn't require any real evidence to back it up. All that matters is how you can spin a tail of how it could be possible.

Sure, after all that, you try to hedge your bets and say there's something off. But that's the classical scam prophet technique: make your actual, on record prediction be as vague as possible so you can count anything as a valid prediction.

You seem to think that you alone are seeing the truth, while everyone else is deluded when they point out the lack of evidence. That is exactly how conspiracy theorists work.

There is no evidence for this right wing conspiracy theory. Note I don't say "it cannot be true." Just that there is no evidence. Which means, if you are rational, you're not going to waste your time considering it.

You'd only consider it if you believed it despite the lack of evidence.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
IO, IO, this thread will work, I know.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:54 PM

When my great niece (now 4 months old) gets old enough to call me anything, I'm going to tell her to call me Grunkle.

Borrowing that from Grunkle Stan on Gravity Falls, but apparently there's an urban dictionary entry for it too.

BTW, Ilhan Omar won her seat 78%-21.7%. The seat has been held by a Democrat since 1963 and the lowest margin of victory in the last 30 years was Keith Ellison's first victory at 56%-22% in 2006. She isn't going to be voted out of office anytime soon. Especially not if the Republicans want to choose a pure lunatic like this, who claims to believe in QAnon.

Last edited by Chimera; 07-23-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
The Wikipedia page on the term may surprise you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_uncle

Was your Dutch uncle an asshole?
Nope. They were all good friends of the family. Maybe it's family peculiar that we use the term to indicate a close-but-not-blood relationship. I'm sure every family has those.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:31 PM

The idea that she married her brother was always in the minds of people just wishing for something to put her in jail over or totally discredit her. But there are shenanigans going on for sure, otherwise she'd explain what was going on and not told lies about it.

My own hypothesis? A rather unislamic alternative lifestyle that is definitely not criminal, definitely not fraudulent, but also something she would want to keep in the closet. I don't believe for a second she's religious.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I actually meant anti-democratic racist fucking trash and by far the biggest threat to America, but yeah, also rabid, not rapid.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post

My own hypothesis? A rather unislamic alternative lifestyle that is definitely not criminal, definitely not fraudulent, but also something she would want to keep in the closet. I don't believe for a second she's religious.
Well, certainly not as religious as Trump. The religious right think that Trump is a very, very pious man. Loves to go to church regularly. Knows the scriptures by heart, don'tcha know.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
The idea that she married her brother was always in the minds of people just wishing for something to put her in jail over or totally discredit her. But there are shenanigans going on for sure, otherwise she'd explain what was going on and not told lies about it.

Ah, there's the patented adaher technique we've come to know and expect: "The blatant right-wing smear campaign has been debunked, so I'm just going to float vague impressions and unsupported insinuations instead, which I will subsequently repeat over and over and over and pretend that this somehow proves that they're true."

God, I'd forgotten what a disingenuous little shit you are.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But there are shenanigans going on for sure,
Like someone put down an old address on a form?

Like I said above, if you had any evidence of shenanigans, you wouldn't have to make up some shit story.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That sounds two Corinthians short of a testament to me.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
That sounds two Corinthians short of a testament to me.

[Golf clap]
Old 07-24-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But there are shenanigans going on for sure, otherwise she'd explain what was going on and not told lies about it.
A. What lies has she told? and B. What evidence makes you think there are shenanigans?

Quote:
My own hypothesis?
C. What makes you think anyone cares?
Old 07-24-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
C. What makes you think anyone cares?
To clarify, why would anyone take seriously a "hypothesis" to explain the lack of supporting facts? How is that different from sheer fantasy?

Oh, well, you're convinced of Hillary Clinton's guilt (of something or other, you've never said what) on the same basis, so at least you're consistent in your delusions.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Like someone put down an old address on a form?

Like I said above, if you had any evidence of shenanigans, you wouldn't have to make up some shit story.
The evidence is that shenanigans are "always in the minds of people just wishing for something to put her in jail over or totally discredit her."
Old 07-24-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

See, in the mind of a true conspiracy theorist, the lack of evidence proves there's a coverup.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
See, in the mind of a true conspiracy theorist, the lack of evidence proves there's a coverup.
Let's not give them this much credit, it implies that evidence matters.

When Obama took HIS conspiracy theory head on by providing a copy of his birth certificate, one that was publicly certified as accurate by the head of Hawaii's department of health, the CTists didn't care. As long as they had a made up story that didn't violate the very laws of nature, they were going with it.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:

"If she hadn't married her brother, there'd be at least some evidence that she had married her brother; it's just logical!"

Old 07-24-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Let's not give them this much credit, it implies that evidence matters.

When Obama took HIS conspiracy theory head on by providing a copy of his birth certificate, one that was publicly certified as accurate by the head of Hawaii's department of health, the CTists didn't care. As long as they had a made up story that didn't violate the very laws of nature, they were going with it.

Let's be honest; even that part is largely optional.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:24 PM

She lied on her taxes and also will not tell anyone what her relationship is with that other guy, and she's also lied about the relationship, saying she doesn't know where he is, even though they've communicated. Her and his social media were wiped clean and she's made her family members clam up.

When the media meets a total wall of silence, something's going on.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...hometown-news/

and as the newspaper man in question says, when she lied on her taxes, it became an issue a Congresswoman must answer ffor. It's not longer just a personal matter.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
She lied on her taxes and also will not tell anyone what her relationship is with that other guy, and she's also lied about the relationship, saying she doesn't know where he is, even though they've communicated. Her and his social media were wiped clean and she's made her family members clam up.

When the media meets a total wall of silence, something's going on.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...hometown-news/

and as the newspaper man in question says, when she lied on her taxes, it became an issue a Congresswoman must answer ffor. It's not longer just a personal matter.
Ok once we get Trump's tax returns we'll worry about hers. Deal?
Old 07-24-2019, 01:36 PM

Not arguing that she's at the level of Trump or even that there's a huge scandal here. I don't need to do that to point out that there's plenty there for the local press to investigate, and they have, at least until they realized they weren't going to get anywhere. The fact they aren't bothering to pursue it anymore and just reporting it as it is is a testament to its relative importance. They spent two weeks looking into it, got nowhere, and reported the facts for their readers to fill in the blanks. Which we have every right to do if a politician is hiding something and resorted to illegal actions to cover it up.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:58 PM

Sure, but nobody needs to pay any attention to what you fill in the blanks with. I'm sure if there was anything really here the right-wing-o-sphere wouldn't hold back the evidence once it was found. I have every confidence that if there is something here they will find it, but until then, meh...

Last edited by Airbeck; 07-24-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:00 PM

Nothing is likely to be found because no one will talk and social media has been wiped. All we know is that she's hiding things and that they all lived together. My hypothesis of a three-way relationship fits the facts like a glove.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
All we know is that she's hiding things
We do? How?
Old 07-24-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Nothing is likely to be found because no one will talk and social media has been wiped. All we know is that she's hiding things and that they all lived together. My hypothesis of a three-way relationship fits the facts like a glove.
So does my hypothesis of alien lizard people. You see, the one found out the others' secret, so they ate him and regurgitated a new lizard person in his place.

Like a glove!
Old 07-24-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
And your hypothesis is worth nothing. Like I said, meh.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
All we know is that she's hiding things and that they all lived together.
I saw that show! "Three's a Crowd" right?
Old 07-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
So does my hypothesis of alien lizard people. You see, the one found out the others' secret, so they ate him and regurgitated a new lizard person in his place.

Like a glove!
You yourself were willing to speculate that Obama was a closet atheist. Which is a reasonable belief to have, given the facts.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
You sure want her to be guilty of something, don't you?

What subset is left when you eliminate Islamic, religious, criminal and fraudulent? A non-religious law-abiding truth-teller. I sure as hell wouldn't mind that being my Representative.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
And your hypothesis is worth nothing. Like I said, meh.
ONly because people are going for the dumbest possible explanation rather than actually thinking. People want so bad for it to be serious illegality, and of course people like you want so bad to just believe she's hiding nothing, even though she's gone to a lot of effort to build a total wall of silence and remove social media posts.

Apparently, some very smart people on SDMB have not noticed that when politicians won't answer questions, there's almost always a very good reason.

Last edited by adaher; 07-24-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Nothing is likely to be found because no one will talk and social media has been wiped.

You seem overly concerned by this. Perhaps you should consider that she, and her family, have simply learned the lesson of Birtherism alluded to above: There's no point in addressing these claims, even with factual information backed up by evidence, because that will have literally no impact on the people who believe and/or promote these theories. In fact, any answers they do give will simply be subjected to further bullshit analysis, thus doing nothing more than providing fuel for the fire.

The only way to win is not to play.

Sure, that sucks for people who actually appreciate the value of facts and evidence, but this is the world we live in, where a straight-up conspiracy theorist has enough real-world support that he ended up being elected president.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
You yourself were willing to speculate that Obama was a closet atheist. Which is a reasonable belief to have, given the facts.
I don't remember this... do you have a cite? If so, that was a guess, with no actual evidence. Your speculation is similarly a guess, with no actual evidence.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
All we know is that she's hiding things and that they all lived together.
You don't know that, you lying piece of shit.