Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 07-23-2019, 07:59 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Trumpism is a white nationalist movement and she’s an elected person of color. They need to keep their rapid base angry and mobilized for the election.

I believe you mean rabid.
  #102  
Old 07-23-2019, 08:02 AM
Eonwe's Avatar
Eonwe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Burlington VT
Posts: 8,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
But, it's really important at the moment for everyone of color in the Democratic party to prove more innocent and impeachable than ever before, since the 70s.
So, black people should stay out of politics unless they can live up to a higher standard than we expect for white people?
  #103  
Old 07-23-2019, 08:08 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Do you have evidence that Elmi is her brother? Or do you have stupid shit like he called her nieces and nephews his "nieces and nephews?" My wife does that with my extended family, and I'm pretty sure she isn't my sister.
My African friends certainly seem to refer to any older relation who isn't a parent as "uncle" or "aunty" regardless of the actual familial relationship (and indeed do the same to unrelated family friends), and the reverse (nieces/nephews for children, even if not literally true) isn't uncommon either. It seems to be an African thing.
  #104  
Old 07-23-2019, 08:47 AM
madmonk28 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
So, black people should stay out of politics unless they can live up to a higher standard than we expect for white people?
Even then, I think Sage Rat would prefer it if they just stayed out of public life.
  #105  
Old 07-23-2019, 09:01 AM
dasmoocher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
A brown woman with a different religion has dared to occupy a position of authority and speak against the Great White Father, and this simply will not do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Trumpism is a white nationalist movement and she’s an elected person of color. They need to keep their rapid base angry and mobilized for the election.
Yeah, I think a lot of future MAGAsses were freaked out by having a black man--who was also a possible Kenyan Mooslim--as a president. The horror!

One anecdote I've posted before is that after Oprah gave a speech at the Oscars and some people were saying she should run for president, one die-hard MAGAss I know posted on Facebook something to this effect:

"I don't mean to sound racist, but didn't we already have a black president? Let's not make the same mistake twice."

As I've also mentioned, his issue wasn't that Oprah wasn't qualified or had no experience in government or the military, because that applies to Trump, and unlike Trump, she actually runs a successful business empire. His issue, according to what he posted, is that she's black.
  #106  
Old 07-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Bullshit. You believe it with the fanaticism of the classic convert.
And for that there is evidence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Individual 1 repeated the calumny that Ilhan Omar married her brother.
https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...nter-us-2019-7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I'd advise against getting too defensive towards Omar on that one. The information that Omar can't delete is all conducive to the brother hypothesis and the information which is purported to have been deleted, if faked, would have required professional photo shoots, professional photo manipulation, and professional graphic design to pull off. Given that this is supposed to have been pulled off by some crazy right-wing blogger, not the CIA, and that the story does originate out of her country of birth, not the right wing web, I'd expect to get egg on my face by standing too close to her.

The more the Democrats defend Omar, the greater the chance that they take a severe political hit if the evidence comes in. That evidence does seem relatively likely to come in.
Doesn't believe it but believes there is evidence for it?
  #107  
Old 07-23-2019, 09:29 AM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4,210
This thread seems to be lacking...not sure what, but I'll just start another IO thread just in case.
  #108  
Old 07-23-2019, 09:38 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 27,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I have no way of knowing (short of emailing the author) but, given that they're giving quotes from her that are conversational, I would assume that they interviewed her and that she's their source for the information. They have simply compressed down the conversation to be more readable.

She's 36. Assuming that her grandfather is 40ish years older than her and probably wouldn't get into all that high of a position until he was past 40, that would have him start being eligible for the role around 1983 (?). Barre was ousted in 1991. The Isaaq Genocide was undertaken in the 1987 to 1989 period. Her grandfather might have been 44-46 years old during that period - which sounds about right.
You assume a lot. When come back, bring facts.
  #109  
Old 07-23-2019, 09:57 AM
drivekiller is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
The alternative is that a few right-wing bloggers were able to falsify a fairly prodigious quantity of screenshots, learning Somali along the way, at a much higher level than their graphic abilities would seem to indicate. And then, for whatever reason, Omar decided that she didn't like the prospect of the free money that she could get by suing their assess.

And, further, that Omar's husband, asked to give his address, decided to give Omar's husband's address instead of his own. Omar's husband didn't leave that address until a few months later.

I'll also note that a fair quantity of what they have alleged is independently verifiable. Screenshots being faked as may be, if you can verify something as true, it doesn't matter that you got to it via a liar. Any hypothesis needs to explain the available truths.

As it is, I was able to verify that the family is still friendly with the ex, which does contend with the divorce proceedings; that Omar's dad goes by another name in person than he does legally; address information puts Omar with both husbands at the same time, which goes against her current story; and the person who originally started the story seems to have been a guy who simply dislikes hypocrites in the Somali community, was a moderator on his site, and he cited his work.
Very important points. Let's follow up as soon as Epstein and all his friends are behind bars.
  #110  
Old 07-23-2019, 10:26 AM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
My African friends certainly seem to refer to any older relation who isn't a parent as "uncle" or "aunty" regardless of the actual familial relationship (and indeed do the same to unrelated family friends), and the reverse (nieces/nephews for children, even if not literally true) isn't uncommon either. It seems to be an African thing.
The latinx side of our family does it too. I also call my husband's relatives my nieces, nephews, etc. Shocking!

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 07-23-2019 at 10:26 AM.
  #111  
Old 07-23-2019, 10:58 AM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
My African friends certainly seem to refer to any older relation who isn't a parent as "uncle" or "aunty" regardless of the actual familial relationship (and indeed do the same to unrelated family friends), and the reverse (nieces/nephews for children, even if not literally true) isn't uncommon either. It seems to be an African thing.
I’m white and from the Pacific Northwest, and we do that. I am “uncle” to some of my friends’ kids, and my daughter has plenty of “aunts” and “uncles” that are just friends of my wife and I. This isn’t just an African thing.
  #112  
Old 07-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
This thread seems to be lacking...not sure what, but I'll just start another IO thread just in case.
Substance?
Evidence?
A reply from the OP?
Any sense of shame whatsoever?
  #113  
Old 07-23-2019, 12:35 PM
madmonk28 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I believe you mean rabid.
I actually meant anti-democratic racist fucking trash and by far the biggest threat to America, but yeah, also rabid, not rapid.
  #114  
Old 07-23-2019, 02:23 PM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I’m white and from the Pacific Northwest, and we do that. I am “uncle” to some of my friends’ kids, and my daughter has plenty of “aunts” and “uncles” that are just friends of my wife and I. This isn’t just an African thing.
White and from southern US. I'm Aunt Raven to all my friends' kids. It seems pretty widespread.
  #115  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:19 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I don't believe it, as said in post 79.

As I have said, many times, my point is that it's unwise for the Democratic party to put all of its eggs into one basket at this moment in time, not that there's a correct basket. If you decide that I'm saying something other than that, when I clearly say that this is how to read my statements, then I can't really help you.
People who don't believe something don't advocate so strongly for them. They don't come up with complicated ways to ignore the evidence that contradicts said belief. If you were truly neutral, you would recognize that all evidence is against your claim, but you don't--not just no evidence, but negative evidence.

You can say you don't believe it all you want, but your repeated actions demonstrate otherwise. The entire point of the "just asking questions" trolling technique that you continue to use is to pretend you do not believe something while just asking questions about it.

You keep on talking about all of this evidence that would be difficult to fake. But you have provided none of this evidence. You refuse to bring the evidence that you claim exists to proper scrutiny. Why would you do this other than to push a narrative? (And why do you keep ignoring how easy it is to fake a screenshot. You just edit the page in place.)

People don't listen to your words when your actions do not back them up. You argue like the rape apologist who says they aren't actually defending the rapist. Then why the constant excuses?

Last edited by BigT; 07-23-2019 at 06:23 PM.
  #116  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,828
In my family we describe close friends who aren't relatives "dutch" <insert kinship term>. For example, several of my parents' friends when I was growing up I called Aunt <name> or Uncle <name>, but when explaining the relationship to someone else they were described as being my "dutch aunt" or my "dutch uncle".

And now that I think of it, that seems an odd term. I'm wondering about the origin.
  #117  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:33 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,343
The Wikipedia page on the term may surprise you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_uncle

Was your Dutch uncle an asshole?
  #118  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:34 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
If you care to defend her, then defend her.
We already have. We do it each time. But you always have an excuse for why that evidence doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that the brother is already an immediate family member, so marrying him would be pointless. It doesn't matter that this was turned over to the authorities and they said there was nothing there to investigate. It doesn't matter that the source is a bunch of screenshots, easily faked, from a right wing smear campaign years ago. It doesn't matter that every actual expert says that there's no evidence.

No, Sage Rat the Rational says there is something there, and we are all supposed to bow down to your superior logic that doesn't require any real evidence to back it up. All that matters is how you can spin a tail of how it could be possible.

Sure, after all that, you try to hedge your bets and say there's something off. But that's the classical scam prophet technique: make your actual, on record prediction be as vague as possible so you can count anything as a valid prediction.

You seem to think that you alone are seeing the truth, while everyone else is deluded when they point out the lack of evidence. That is exactly how conspiracy theorists work.

There is no evidence for this right wing conspiracy theory. Note I don't say "it cannot be true." Just that there is no evidence. Which means, if you are rational, you're not going to waste your time considering it.

You'd only consider it if you believed it despite the lack of evidence.
  #119  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 PM
Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
This thread seems to be lacking...not sure what, but I'll just start another IO thread just in case.
IO, IO, this thread will work, I know.
  #120  
Old 07-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
When my great niece (now 4 months old) gets old enough to call me anything, I'm going to tell her to call me Grunkle.

Borrowing that from Grunkle Stan on Gravity Falls, but apparently there's an urban dictionary entry for it too.


BTW, Ilhan Omar won her seat 78%-21.7%. The seat has been held by a Democrat since 1963 and the lowest margin of victory in the last 30 years was Keith Ellison's first victory at 56%-22% in 2006. She isn't going to be voted out of office anytime soon. Especially not if the Republicans want to choose a pure lunatic like this, who claims to believe in QAnon.

Last edited by Chimera; 07-23-2019 at 07:55 PM.
  #121  
Old 07-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
The Wikipedia page on the term may surprise you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_uncle

Was your Dutch uncle an asshole?
Nope. They were all good friends of the family. Maybe it's family peculiar that we use the term to indicate a close-but-not-blood relationship. I'm sure every family has those.
  #122  
Old 07-23-2019, 11:31 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
The idea that she married her brother was always in the minds of people just wishing for something to put her in jail over or totally discredit her. But there are shenanigans going on for sure, otherwise she'd explain what was going on and not told lies about it.

My own hypothesis? A rather unislamic alternative lifestyle that is definitely not criminal, definitely not fraudulent, but also something she would want to keep in the closet. I don't believe for a second she's religious.
  #123  
Old 07-23-2019, 11:47 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I actually meant anti-democratic racist fucking trash and by far the biggest threat to America, but yeah, also rabid, not rapid.

  #124  
Old 07-23-2019, 11:56 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post

My own hypothesis? A rather unislamic alternative lifestyle that is definitely not criminal, definitely not fraudulent, but also something she would want to keep in the closet. I don't believe for a second she's religious.
Well, certainly not as religious as Trump. The religious right think that Trump is a very, very pious man. Loves to go to church regularly. Knows the scriptures by heart, don'tcha know.
  #125  
Old 07-24-2019, 05:09 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
The idea that she married her brother was always in the minds of people just wishing for something to put her in jail over or totally discredit her. But there are shenanigans going on for sure, otherwise she'd explain what was going on and not told lies about it.

My own hypothesis? A rather unislamic alternative lifestyle that is definitely not criminal, definitely not fraudulent, but also something she would want to keep in the closet. I don't believe for a second she's religious.
Ah, there's the patented adaher technique we've come to know and expect: "The blatant right-wing smear campaign has been debunked, so I'm just going to float vague impressions and unsupported insinuations instead, which I will subsequently repeat over and over and over and pretend that this somehow proves that they're true."

God, I'd forgotten what a disingenuous little shit you are.
  #126  
Old 07-24-2019, 06:04 AM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
But there are shenanigans going on for sure,
Like someone put down an old address on a form?

Like I said above, if you had any evidence of shenanigans, you wouldn't have to make up some shit story.
  #127  
Old 07-24-2019, 06:39 AM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
My own hypothesis? A rather unislamic alternative lifestyle that is definitely not criminal, definitely not fraudulent, but also something she would want to keep in the closet. I don't believe for a second she's religious.
That sounds two Corinthians short of a testament to me.
  #128  
Old 07-24-2019, 06:50 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
That sounds two Corinthians short of a testament to me.

[Golf clap]
  #129  
Old 07-24-2019, 08:43 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
But there are shenanigans going on for sure, otherwise she'd explain what was going on and not told lies about it.
A. What lies has she told? and B. What evidence makes you think there are shenanigans?

Quote:
My own hypothesis?
C. What makes you think anyone cares?
  #130  
Old 07-24-2019, 09:05 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
C. What makes you think anyone cares?
To clarify, why would anyone take seriously a "hypothesis" to explain the lack of supporting facts? How is that different from sheer fantasy?

Oh, well, you're convinced of Hillary Clinton's guilt (of something or other, you've never said what) on the same basis, so at least you're consistent in your delusions.
  #131  
Old 07-24-2019, 11:21 AM
74westy's Avatar
74westy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Like someone put down an old address on a form?

Like I said above, if you had any evidence of shenanigans, you wouldn't have to make up some shit story.
The evidence is that shenanigans are "always in the minds of people just wishing for something to put her in jail over or totally discredit her."
  #132  
Old 07-24-2019, 11:33 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
See, in the mind of a true conspiracy theorist, the lack of evidence proves there's a coverup.
  #133  
Old 07-24-2019, 12:28 PM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
See, in the mind of a true conspiracy theorist, the lack of evidence proves there's a coverup.
Let's not give them this much credit, it implies that evidence matters.

When Obama took HIS conspiracy theory head on by providing a copy of his birth certificate, one that was publicly certified as accurate by the head of Hawaii's department of health, the CTists didn't care. As long as they had a made up story that didn't violate the very laws of nature, they were going with it.
  #134  
Old 07-24-2019, 01:21 PM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
See, in the mind of a true conspiracy theorist, the lack of evidence proves there's a coverup.


"If she hadn't married her brother, there'd be at least some evidence that she had married her brother; it's just logical!"


  #135  
Old 07-24-2019, 01:23 PM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Let's not give them this much credit, it implies that evidence matters.

When Obama took HIS conspiracy theory head on by providing a copy of his birth certificate, one that was publicly certified as accurate by the head of Hawaii's department of health, the CTists didn't care. As long as they had a made up story that didn't violate the very laws of nature, they were going with it.

Let's be honest; even that part is largely optional.
  #136  
Old 07-24-2019, 01:24 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
She lied on her taxes and also will not tell anyone what her relationship is with that other guy, and she's also lied about the relationship, saying she doesn't know where he is, even though they've communicated. Her and his social media were wiped clean and she's made her family members clam up.

When the media meets a total wall of silence, something's going on.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...hometown-news/

and as the newspaper man in question says, when she lied on her taxes, it became an issue a Congresswoman must answer ffor. It's not longer just a personal matter.
  #137  
Old 07-24-2019, 01:34 PM
Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
She lied on her taxes and also will not tell anyone what her relationship is with that other guy, and she's also lied about the relationship, saying she doesn't know where he is, even though they've communicated. Her and his social media were wiped clean and she's made her family members clam up.

When the media meets a total wall of silence, something's going on.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...hometown-news/

and as the newspaper man in question says, when she lied on her taxes, it became an issue a Congresswoman must answer ffor. It's not longer just a personal matter.
Ok once we get Trump's tax returns we'll worry about hers. Deal?
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #138  
Old 07-24-2019, 01:36 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
Not arguing that she's at the level of Trump or even that there's a huge scandal here. I don't need to do that to point out that there's plenty there for the local press to investigate, and they have, at least until they realized they weren't going to get anywhere. The fact they aren't bothering to pursue it anymore and just reporting it as it is is a testament to its relative importance. They spent two weeks looking into it, got nowhere, and reported the facts for their readers to fill in the blanks. Which we have every right to do if a politician is hiding something and resorted to illegal actions to cover it up.
  #139  
Old 07-24-2019, 01:58 PM
Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,943
Sure, but nobody needs to pay any attention to what you fill in the blanks with. I'm sure if there was anything really here the right-wing-o-sphere wouldn't hold back the evidence once it was found. I have every confidence that if there is something here they will find it, but until then, meh...
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes

Last edited by Airbeck; 07-24-2019 at 01:59 PM.
  #140  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:00 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
Nothing is likely to be found because no one will talk and social media has been wiped. All we know is that she's hiding things and that they all lived together. My hypothesis of a three-way relationship fits the facts like a glove.
  #141  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:02 PM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
All we know is that she's hiding things
We do? How?
  #142  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:02 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Nothing is likely to be found because no one will talk and social media has been wiped. All we know is that she's hiding things and that they all lived together. My hypothesis of a three-way relationship fits the facts like a glove.
So does my hypothesis of alien lizard people. You see, the one found out the others' secret, so they ate him and regurgitated a new lizard person in his place.

Like a glove!
  #143  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:05 PM
Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Nothing is likely to be found because no one will talk and social media has been wiped. All we know is that she's hiding things and that they all lived together. My hypothesis of a three-way relationship fits the facts like a glove.
And your hypothesis is worth nothing. Like I said, meh.
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #144  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
All we know is that she's hiding things and that they all lived together.
I saw that show! "Three's a Crowd" right?
  #145  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:13 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
So does my hypothesis of alien lizard people. You see, the one found out the others' secret, so they ate him and regurgitated a new lizard person in his place.

Like a glove!
You yourself were willing to speculate that Obama was a closet atheist. Which is a reasonable belief to have, given the facts.
  #146  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 14,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
My own hypothesis? A rather unislamic alternative lifestyle that is definitely not criminal, definitely not fraudulent, but also something she would want to keep in the closet. I don't believe for a second she's religious.
You sure want her to be guilty of something, don't you?

What subset is left when you eliminate Islamic, religious, criminal and fraudulent? A non-religious law-abiding truth-teller. I sure as hell wouldn't mind that being my Representative.
  #147  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:14 PM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
And your hypothesis is worth nothing. Like I said, meh.
ONly because people are going for the dumbest possible explanation rather than actually thinking. People want so bad for it to be serious illegality, and of course people like you want so bad to just believe she's hiding nothing, even though she's gone to a lot of effort to build a total wall of silence and remove social media posts.

Apparently, some very smart people on SDMB have not noticed that when politicians won't answer questions, there's almost always a very good reason.

Last edited by adaher; 07-24-2019 at 02:15 PM.
  #148  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:15 PM
Horatius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Nothing is likely to be found because no one will talk and social media has been wiped.


You seem overly concerned by this. Perhaps you should consider that she, and her family, have simply learned the lesson of Birtherism alluded to above: There's no point in addressing these claims, even with factual information backed up by evidence, because that will have literally no impact on the people who believe and/or promote these theories. In fact, any answers they do give will simply be subjected to further bullshit analysis, thus doing nothing more than providing fuel for the fire.

The only way to win is not to play.

Sure, that sucks for people who actually appreciate the value of facts and evidence, but this is the world we live in, where a straight-up conspiracy theorist has enough real-world support that he ended up being elected president.
  #149  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:16 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
You yourself were willing to speculate that Obama was a closet atheist. Which is a reasonable belief to have, given the facts.
I don't remember this... do you have a cite? If so, that was a guess, with no actual evidence. Your speculation is similarly a guess, with no actual evidence.
  #150  
Old 07-24-2019, 02:21 PM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
All we know is that she's hiding things and that they all lived together.
You don't know that, you lying piece of shit.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017