Old 08-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
Quit....shaking/moving ...the...camera.

This happens a lot on TV dramas and in some movies. I guess it's supposed to add to the tension or give you the feeling that you are right there with the actors.

For me, all it does is remind me that these people are actors and they are standing in front of a cameraman.
This completely put me off Boston Legal and The Office. I've never been able to sit through an episode of either with the camera bobbing around in every shot.

It ain't funny or artsy, it's just annoying as hell.
Well, in The Office, they are people standing in front of a cameraman.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Stock footage used as original footage. You know, like:

"Get down! Their bombers are coming back around!"
[cut to grainy, colorized WW2 footage of bombs falling out of planes]
"Get to cover!" [everyone ducks under tables while the camera shakes, cut to more grainy footage of The Blitz]
Old 08-08-2019, 11:49 AM

The amazing physical recovery capability and magical grooming of actors.

Actor get beat up and bloodied - 10 seconds later the blood is gone!

Actor gets drenched in water - 10 seconds later they are completely dry!

Actress gets drenched in water - 10 seconds later their hair is back to being well coiffed.

Stuff like that always sticks out to me.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:52 AM

I haven't seen this in too many movies, but it was all over TV a while back:

A character is looking directly into the camera, as in being interviewed. All of a sudden, the camera is three feet to either the interviewee's left or right, while the interviewee is still looking at the spot where the camera was. Then, to make it worse, the camera jumps back to where it was, as if nothing happened. What is the point of this "technique"?
Old 08-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Pregnant woman goes into labor and delivers the baby two minutes later, usually in an elevator or some such place. And five minutes later, both she and the baby look "Hollywood fresh." No sweat or goo on either of them. And no baby fat on the actress, who is totally at her original weight and body look the next day.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 08-08-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
Somebody working the action of a firearm to be threatening and no round is ejected. So the action movie hero has been running around, frequently in a firefight that's been ongoing, with an empty chamber. I always find myself expecting the person threatened to laugh instead.
Yeah, firearm use is a real peeve of mine. Okay, you're holding someone at gunpoint. "Give me the information." "No." Gun holder jacks in a round. So you were threatening someone with an unloaded gun?

Firearm noises that are just wrong. I saw one were there was a racking noise inserted for someone with a double-barreled shotgun. Guns that make cocking/racking noises whenever someone moves the weapon.

There was a war movie where M-16s were used. One guy is firing like mad. Then the camera angle reveals that the bolt is locked back. Yet he continues firing.

The worst one was where someone was supposed to kill a bunch of horses, all standing side by side. The guy pulls out his 1911A1 (a semi-auto for those who don't know), jacks the slide and shoots the first horse; moves over, jacks the slide and shoots the second horse; moves over, jacks the slide and shoots the third horse; moves over, repeats.

Another trite usage: "Look at me!" "I SAID LOOK AT ME!!"
Old 08-08-2019, 11:54 AM

... a totally clean baby.

(referring to Annie-Xmas' post)

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 08-08-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:55 AM

Guys like Jack Bauer being able to survive being stabbed, shot, beaten, blown up, et cetera, and still go on for hours without eating, drinking, sleeping, or taking a whiz and a dump.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:58 AM

Sound related things for some reason tend to take me out of movies more than visual things. A poor choice on the part of a music editor leaves me feeling like, okay, I guess I'm supposed to be feeling sad right now. Abrupt changes in sound levels will take me out quickly as well.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

And cops who beg with people: "Drop the gun. C'mon, drop the gun. Please drop the gun. Drop the gun or I will have to shoot. I don't want to shoot you. Please drop the gun. You don't want to shoot an innocent person, so drop the gun."

I know from a real life experience it's' "Drop the gun or I will shoot" and the guy has about 10 seconds to comply.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Firearm noises that are just wrong. I saw one were there was a racking noise inserted for someone with a double-barreled shotgun. Guns that make cocking/racking noises whenever someone moves the weapon.
Revolvers used in conjunction with silencers. You can't silence a revolver because part of the blast exits through the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. And when a silencer does work, it doesn't go Pffft! It sounds more like a champagne bottle popping its cork.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:06 PM

* Street scenes with vintage cars from the 1930s or 40s that always look showroom new, beautifully clean, waxed, and perfect even though the scene is depicting a normal street of that era or a decade later. It always reminds me that these are collector cars they rented for the day and there's no way the owners are going to let you dirty it up and make it look like an average car of that era.

* Obviously empty suitcases. People pick up even large suitcases with ease and swing them around. Just put some bricks or old books in there so the actors handle them realistically.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

More police things (I went with a cop for ten years):

When two cops go up to a suspect's door marching up the path side by side with no guns drawn. Nothing like giving the suspect a easy way to open the door and blow both your heads off. They go up from opposite sides in a V-formation with guns drawn.

Idiots who go off to meet the suspect without telling anyone where they are going, and meeting them alone. I wold call the cops, tell them what I know, and then hide inside with my door locked.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:10 PM

Lugers or M-1911s with their slides locked back, indicating the gun is empty, but the users never bother to reload them and just keep on firing.

Last edited by terentii; 08-08-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:33 PM

Battles like Poltava, Monmouth, and Manassas taking less than five minutes before the Swedes, British, and Yankees are completely routed.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Pregnant woman goes into labor and delivers the baby two minutes later, usually in an elevator or some such place. And five minutes later, both she and the baby look "Hollywood fresh." No sweat or goo on either of them. And no baby fat on the actress, who is totally at her original weight and body look the next day.
And suddenly the baby looks 6 months old. Newborns do not look like that. But the new mother is holding a happy, clean, smiling, 6 month old baby!

"He's got your eyes!"
Old 08-08-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbang View Post
* Street scenes with vintage cars from the 1930s or 40s that always look showroom new, beautifully clean, waxed, and perfect even though the scene is depicting a normal street of that era or a decade later. It always reminds me that these are collector cars they rented for the day and there's no way the owners are going to let you dirty it up and make it look like an average car of that era.
One that does it for me is spotting a car that's obviously too new for the era the piece is set. I know vintage cars can be hard to come by and sometimes the best they can do is try to get "close enough" and assume most people probably won't notice, but I do notice and I suspect most people who are into cars notice. I noticed this a lot in The Americans. While I commend them for the effort they obviously put in to try to get era appropriate cars, there were a few times I spotted late 1980s or early 1990s cars in scenes that were supposed to be taking place in the early 1980s.

Another related one is where they get a car that is technically appropriate for the year the movie or TV show is taking place, but they portray it as an old beater when it would actually have been a new or nearly new car at the time the piece is set. The Wonder Years was guilty of that once twice.

*I know, all my examples are from TV shows, but I don't really watch that many movies so TV shows are what I know.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 08-08-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
It seems as though they hate seatbelts for some reason. It takes me right out because it goes against deeply imprinted habit. Is there a legitimate practical reason for it?
Gads, Clint Eastwood's recent film, The Mule. The plot is he gets to transporting narcotics across the US as he's never had a traffic ticket, and must be such a safe driver he's not going to get pulled over.

Not once was he ever shown wearing a seatbelt. I don't think there's a single state left that won't pull you over and ticket you for driving without wearing one.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Added sound effects that are 1) predictable and 2) over the top.

Examples:

Added whooshing noises, such as when some karate dude is slicing his hands through the air - whoosh, whoosh.
Also, swords that go "schwing!" when you pull them from their scabbard are dumb. Swords that go "schwing!" when you swing them through the air are inexcusable.

My favorite example of the latter was in Daredevil's second season, when the titular blind superhero is fighting undead ninjas, and is defenseless against them because he can't hear their heartbeats! I'm like, "Dude, just listen for their swords! Every time they swing one, it sounds like they're operating a leaf blower!"
Old 08-08-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Lugers or M-1911s with their slides locked back, indicating the gun is empty, but the users never bother to reload them and just keep on firing.
M1911s (or similar) with the hammer down, and the guy is threatening to shoot someone. Dude, you can pull the trigger all you want -- it's not going off.

Military uniforms in combat where they don't have any spare ammo pouches or other gear on their belts, and their uniforms are pristine clean.

Supposedly 'live' ammo where you can see the dented primer in the base, or fired cartridges which are obviously crimped blank rounds. This is just so fucking lazy you can tell they didn't care.

A semi-auto or full-auto firearm that goes *click*click*click* when empty. The slide is locked back -- it's not going to click! And full-autos go *clickclicklclickclickclick*

Any show where a trained professional has his finger on the trigger and they're pointing the gun everywhere. You see this in cop shows all the time.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:37 PM

With modern automobiles, they virtually never fail to start right up no matter how hot or how cold the weather might be. My car started every single time for 3 1/2 years until it didn't, and that's because the battery went bad. I replaced it, and it has started every single time over the last year.

So, why then, when terrified people are fleeing someone or something totally horrid, do the cars in Hollywood movies invariably FAIL to start?! That is so old, so hackneyed, and so outdated, that it makes one wonder why it is still used in any movie at all.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:38 PM

The thing that frosts my gourd the most (sorry, I can't help it, I'm an aviation buff) is when a movie set in the WWI time frame tries to show either German or Allied aircraft by making a few cosmetic changes to a DeHaviland Tiger Moth biplane, and then applying the appropriate insignia to the plane. The problem is that there is no way in God's green earth that a Tiger Moth can be made to look like anything except a Tiger Moth. Even as good a movie as "Lawrence of Arabia" fell into that trap.

And another is showing a WWII movie in the 1941 time frame, and hoping that the viewers will not notice that they are using a movie clip of a Grumman Hellcat to portray a Grumman Wildcat.

Maybe with the improvements in CGI this will become less of a problem.

And I remember in "Flyboys", they even got the CGI wrong. They showed all the WWI fighters as powered by a radial engines, while most of them in fact used rotary engines. Vast difference.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:46 PM

Oddly, it's when a movie/TV show has too much vintage merchandise on store shelves, or they have too much vintage TV/radio. I find myself trying to recall if it's accurate or not.

Stranger Things is notorious about this, but so far, everything they show has been just about spot-on with my memories of being about the same age (I think I'm a year or two younger than the main kid characters). But I end up watching the store shelves/stuff on the kitchen counter more than listening to the characters.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardigan View Post
Sound related things for some reason tend to take me out of movies more than visual things. A poor choice on the part of a music editor leaves me feeling like, okay, I guess I'm supposed to be feeling sad right now. Abrupt changes in sound levels will take me out quickly as well.
Heh. Watching Preacher the other day, and two cars are playing chicken, ya know, squealing tires as the jump off the line towards each other...in a dirt quarry.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
Another one is when our hero is supposed to be a college professor who has been at their university for years, or even decades. We see them in the classroom, and they are teaching My Subject 101. It doesn't work that way in real life. Adjuncts and graduate teaching assistants teach most lower-division classes; professors rarely do. Indiana Jones is guilty of this one as well, but I give those movies a pass because maybe back in the 1930s, that's the way it was.
Speaking of adjuncts, in Bull Durham, Crash Davis asks Annie Savoy what she does for a living. She replies that she's a part-time professor at a community college.

An actual adjunct professor at a community college in NC might've made about $1000 per course back then.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
When people go to a computer, google something, and instantly find the webpage they need with the exact information they are looking for at the top.

"How many dingos were accused of eating babies in countries other than Australia prior to 1975?" Five seconds later "23."
Sort of similar is when someone calls up a character to tell them, "Turn on the TV!" and they do to find a news report about them or their situation starting at that exact moment (as opposed to having missed most of the story).
Old 08-08-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Also, swords that go "schwing!" when you pull them from their scabbard are dumb. Swords that go "schwing!" when you swing them through the air are inexcusable.
So are rifles (or any other piece of military equipment) that rattle when soldiers march.

"What's that noise, maggot? You not takin' proper care of your gear, maggot? Drop and give me 200 pushups NOW, maggot!"

Last edited by terentii; 08-08-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:06 PM

When "doctors," "EMTs," and other "medical personnel" who should know better shock flatlined patients.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:13 PM

"Captain! Here come the Panzer tanks!!"

Except they're Sherman tanks with German crosses.

Yeah, I know. They didn't spend the money to make 10 Panzers.
And this was probably in the '50s or '60s.

But, I'm briefly taken out of the movie.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_One View Post

Yeah, I know. They didn't spend the money to make 10 Panzers.
And this was probably in the '50s or '60s.

But, I'm briefly taken out of the movie.
They at least could have done something else to alter their appearance. I mean, I saw Kelly's Heroes three times before I realized the Tiger tanks were cleverly disguised T-34s.

I understand the same tanks were used twenty-some years later in Saving Private Ryan. They're very convincing until you see them from the side, when it's obvious the proportions are all wrong.

Or, they could just make dummies out of wood and canvas. Most of the planes parked on the runway in Tora, Tora, Tora were mockups like this.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_One View Post

I hope the swastikas at least were right side 'round.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Added sound effects that are 1) predictable and 2) over the top.

Examples:
Another one - the extremely loud ker-chunk when someone turns on the lights in a stadium, warehouse, or similar structure - ker-chunk!

mmm
What sound do you think they make?
Old 08-08-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
When characters traveling in a vehicle have an intense conversation, and the driver spends minutes at a time looking at the person in the passenger seat, with nary a glance at the road ahead.

Yeah, I know you're on a process trailer and not actually driving. Fake! LOOK AT THE DANG ROAD!!!
Or when they don't even have a rear view mirror in the middle of the windshield.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Guns that make cocking/racking noises whenever someone moves the weapon.
In Hell is for Heroes, Steve McQueen is constantly fiddling with the ejection port on his M3 for no apparent reason: Click-clack! Click-clack! Click-clack!

From what I've read, he was railroaded into doing the movie; maybe this was his way of showing dissatisfaction. While I sympathize fully, it's still annoying as, uh, hell.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:16 PM

Two characters having a conversation about something they both already know, solely so that information can be given to the audience. Bonus points if one of them says "As you know..." It's so inorganic.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbang View Post
Obviously empty suitcases. People pick up even large suitcases with ease and swing them around. Just put some bricks or old books in there so the actors handle them realistically.
Same goes for people wearing obviously empty backpacks.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Speaking of adjuncts, in Bull Durham, Crash Davis asks Annie Savoy what she does for a living. She replies that she's a part-time professor at a community college.

An actual adjunct professor at a community college in NC might've made about $1000 per course back then.
I don't get the point you're making. Annie doesn't make a lot of money?
Old 08-08-2019, 04:36 PM

Any western where the cowboys are crossing the desert and come across some water. The parched cowboys jump off their horses and start drinking greedily while the horses just stand there. Seems like the horses should be as thirsty as the cowboys.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:07 PM

One thing that bugs the living shit out of me.

A character lights a cigarette (often times, bummed), lights it, takes ONE puff, says something dramatic, then puts it out. They either stamp it out or drop it in a beverage.

-God

Last edited by Typo Negative; 08-08-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
Any western where the cowboys are crossing the desert and come across some water. The parched cowboys jump off their horses and start drinking greedily while the horses just stand there. Seems like the horses should be as thirsty as the cowboys.
I can't speak for its historical accuracy, but if I were to regularly find myself wandering the desert on horseback without my own water supply, one thing I'd definitely do is train my horse not to drink until I tell it to. Nobody wants to be the guy who gets to the water trough after Trigger and all his friends are finished.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I don't get the point you're making. Annie doesn't make a lot of money?
$1000 per course would be $1000 spread over several months. So no, not a lot of money.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:36 PM

My pet peeve in movies and TV shows is microphones being used wrong.

The worst recent example of this is the movie Late Night. Emma Thompson plays a late night TV show host who, in the decades she has hosted her show, has apparently never noticed that her microphone in pointed the wrong way! The microphone is a classic Shure Super 55, also known as the "Potato masher" and is the microphone most closely associated with Elvis Presley, so much so that it co-starred with Elvis on his stamp.

The thing about the Super 55 is that it has a little stylized "S" on the front grill. That's the part you sing into. Not the top which, to clue you in, is made of solid metal!

Half of the stock photos out there feature models singing into the solid top!

Sorry, but this is as stupid as someone picking up a 35mm camera and putting the lens to their eye rather than the viewfinder!
Old 08-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post

The worst recent example of this is the movie Late Night. Emma Thompson plays a late night TV show host who, in the decades she has hosted her show, has apparently never noticed that her microphone in pointed the wrong way! The microphone is a classic Shure Super 55, also known as the "Potato masher" and is the microphone most closely associated with Elvis Presley, so much so that it co-starred with Elvis on his stamp.
As I remember, David Letterman had a microphone like that on his desk when he hosted a late-night show. I assumed he either wore a lapel microphone or a boom microphone was above his head and the old-timey desk mic was a prop.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
When I worked in radio back in the '90s, the first thing I was taught was *NEVER TOUCH THE MICROPHONE!* It'll pick up and greatly magnify the least little nudge and tap. Oddly, this never seems to deter actors from doing so in the movies and TV.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Someone mentioned empty suitcases. Something that really bugs me more than it really should is empty coffee containers and the like. I know they're props, but put some liquid in them so they're not obviously empty. Anyone who has had a coffee or a soft drink out of a disposable cup knows how it moves when full and how it sounds when you put it down on a table. If it make a hollow plok! noise, it's empty. Also, the scenes where one person brings another person a container of coffee and they immediately take a big ol' swig instead of first seeing whether or not it's going to melt their tongue. On top of that, they tip it back so far, they'd be wearing the contents.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
As I remember, David Letterman had a microphone like that on his desk when he hosted a late-night show. I assumed he either wore a lapel microphone or a boom microphone was above his head and the old-timey desk mic was a prop.
If I recall correctly, he had an RCA 77 when he was on NBC. On CBS he used a Neumann m147.

Both are perfectly respectable, well-loved microphones. He did wear a body pack and a lapel mic, may well have been covered with a boom as well.

But my point is - if you're going to have a microphone visible, you should have it aimed how it normally works. Otherwise you look like an idiot to anyone who has ever used one.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:24 PM

In the new Tarantino movie DiCaprio and Pacino are sitting at a restaurant table with just two full glass of water. Cut to a different angle, one of the glasses is 3/4 full. Next angle, two full glasses of water. Next, they each have a drink - one's finishing something in a rocks glass, one a glass of wine or something. Next angle, back to two full glasses of water only. All of this happens in about 60 seconds with some of the switches taking place mid-sentence. At first I thought it was a setup for something, but then I figured that that didn't make any sense so it had to be continuity errors. It took me out of the scene to the point that I had to replay in my mind what they were talking about and how it fit in the movie.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Guys like Jack Bauer being able to survive being stabbed, shot, beaten, blown up, et cetera, and still go on for hours without eating, drinking, sleeping, or taking a whiz and a dump.
There was at least one episode where they showed Jack eating a frozen dinner.

Besides, it's only 24 hours, and Jack is a bad ass. No time for pissing.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
There was at least one episode where they showed Jack eating a frozen dinner.

Besides, it's only 24 hours, and Jack is a bad ass. No time for pissing.
Not denying that Jack could clench his cheeks for 24 hours (probably doesn't get enough fibre in his diet), but the show was "real-time", and JB wasn't on camera the entire 24 hours. He could have been refilling the empty bottle of Mountain Dew in his car while magically missing all traffic in LA when getting from point A to point B. Is it really necessary to show that?

No answer for JB's, or any action star's, ability to continue after what should be debilitating wounds.

My peeves relate mostly to the superhero genre, and includes the original medium. First peeve is lifting stuff - for me the most recent worst offender was when Supergirl lifted a submarine out of the water. There is no point on a submarine structurally sound enough to be supported by two hands. The second is the case of the fluctuating power level - Flash is the most egregious but they are all guilty. I can and do forgive so much for this genre because I've loved it for nearly 5 decades. It's just that these 2, more than any other shortcoming, can break my suspension of disbelief.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
More important: Characters are served drinks (and food) and never touch them. This happens all the time in soaps, where a man and a woman sit down at the table, talk for two or three minutes, and then the woman gets up and puts the dishes in the sink without either actor taking a bite.
Now on the old tv show "All in the Family" they did all sit down and actually eat. It actually seemed entertaining watching everyone eat and I dont know why.