Old 06-26-2019, 09:55 AM

Legion - The Final Season

Didn't see a post about this yet. Anyone else still watching? I know reception to last season wasn't great, but I think the season premiere was fantastic.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:20 AM

I'm looking forward to it but this is the kind of show I don't touch until the season is done so I can binge.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:07 AM

Episode 1 was certainly more coherent than than anything from last season, notwithstanding the whole time travel aspect. I wonder if they'll keep replaying the assault over and over, Groundhog Day-style?
Old 07-30-2019, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

On my flight home from Europe I caught up on Season 2, and just watched S3 Ep1 last night. Is anyone still watching? I need to catch up to the current episodes so please be light on spoilers for the next week or so while I catch up.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:47 AM

I'm sure we'll watch it. Last season really ruined the show for me. I'll wait for a few more reports on this season before I decide whether to watch it, or to "watch" it while I play games on my computer.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:47 AM

Am I the only one who loved Season 2? Season 1 was your basic origin story. Season 2 turned the whole thing on its head. Season 3...will be interesting.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Am I the only one who loved Season 2? Season 1 was your basic origin story. Season 2 turned the whole thing on its head. Season 3...will be interesting.
Granted, I binged watched season 2 on a long airplane flight so perhaps it wasn't the best environment to absorb all the nuance, but I liked it. It was difficult at times to understand the plot, but that's what we signed up for. I liked the Shadow King character and still like him in S3, although I have no idea what his real motivations are anymore.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

OK, it took until Season 3, Episode 2 for TPTB to use Bill Irwin's physical comedy skills in a way that I've been waiting for since I saw him on screen. Yes, his body control and expressive nature have been used before in the show, but he finally got to pull out all the stops and show his mastery in this episode.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

I'm still one episode behind, didn't watch last night. But in the previous episode they finally used Jemaine Clement in a rap battle. Combined with Bill Irwin's physical mimicry in a previous episode I'm content. Some of these episodes don't seem to move the story arc along at all, but I still enjoy them.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:21 PM

Here's the thread for Season 1:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...ghlight=Legion

And for Season 2:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...ghlight=Legion

I'm still watching, and sad that it's nearly over. Such a great cast! (As Telemark said, Bill Irwin and Jemaine Clement are getting to do a bit more this time around.)

Admittedly it's going very David Lynch this season (having been in that neighborhood a bit, previously). I do like it, though.

For Marvel fans, note that we do have Charles Xavier as a regular character, now. No, not the Patrick Stewart version, nor the James McAvoy one, either. But he's definitely the future Professor X.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:38 AM

I'm just going to say it:

BLUE MEANIES!!!
Old 08-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Well, that's a wrap.

I will continue to recommend this show to some select people, though not to all. It does fit the 'not like anything else on television' criterion some enjoy. But for me the bottom line is that this was Noah Hawley's neglected stepchild: he was working on the various seasons of Fargo all through the time this show was running. And it looks as though this was not his priority.

The show's premise was intriguing. As many interpreted it, that premise was an examination of the experience and phenomenon of mental illness, seen metaphorically in the story of people with mutant powers and the ways in which they make their way through life.

It could have worked (and maybe for some, it did). For me: the show was severely, even criminally, underwritten.

For example, the story's treatment of the Big Bad
SPOILER:
had him change from a determined, even sadistic, user of another person--no matter what harm it did that person--to a benign good guy, simply by showing him scenes of the other person's life. To my mind this development wasn't well-presented. It was unconvincing. It was cheap.

The cast was amazing---and underused. The show had too much filler. It was interesting filler, for the most part---but it wasn't story. It was 'we have to stretch this ten minutes of plot development out to an hour' type of stuff.

I'm disappointed in the way the show developed and ended. I don't think it lived up to its potential. And I'm disappointed at the thought that because it wasn't well-done, similarly ambitious shows are now less-likely to be made.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:55 PM

The ending was disappointing. I'll just say that.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
The ending was disappointing. I'll just say that.
Neatly tied up in a bow, and fairly inevitable by conventional story telling standards, but it could have been something more.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Neatly tied up in a bow,
Sort of, I guess. The ending turned out to be "Nothing you've seen in this show ever actually happened in the show's universe." Kind of unfulfilling.

I liked that Farouk created (or, rather, hatched) the time guardians to free himself.

For the past two seasons, watching this show has felt like work to me. All those pointless "LOOK AT THE COLORS!!!!!" scenes, especially the dance numbers, were painfully boring. I'd get like 10 minutes of show out of each 45-minute episode.

The final two episodes felt like entertainment, at least. I particularly liked the way the time guardians were depicted. Their movement was satisfyingly creepy, though in fairness their "combat" scenes were laughable.

In the end, if I had to describe the show in just a few words, I'd go with self-indulgent.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

And Switch (and her father) were too much of a Deus ex Machina for my tastes. The biggest problem I had was that there were no consequences of the actions taken over the last three seasons, and I feel cheated.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
And in the end, Season 3...wasn't.

It's not that there wasn't material there to work with, but while the previous episodes had weird filler bits to create atmosphere, the weird filler bits in S3 just felt like weird filler bits. This is particularly true of the songs - the big musical numbers in S1 (Feelin' Good) and S2 (Behind Blue Eyes) worked well, and they might have gotten away with the Pink Floyd if we hadn't already had the Elvis-Costello-sung-by-dead-people number which added nothing at all (although Jemaine's rap was mandatory fan service).

I almost wish they had cut back the filler bits in the later part of the season and fleshed out the plot more. Farouk's completion of the transformation to protagonist needed more explicit drive, and I could have used more detail about, or action in, the land outside time. The Cary/Kerry thing felt a little rough as well. Conversely, the parental backstory was fine, although the fact that younger Farouk still has a bunch of children being used as head-prisons is squicky (not to mention the monkey with the king), and I wasn't as bothered by the Switch arc as I thought I might be.

Definitely and disappointingly the weakest of the three seasons.

P.S. Not the fault of the show but in the astral plane episode, every time the Wolf showed up all I could think was "Maximum Derek!".
Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
P.S. Not the fault of the show but in the astral plane episode, every time the Wolf showed up all I could think was "Maximum Derek!".
Ah ha! I was wondering why the wolf seemed so familiar.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
...I almost wish they had cut back the filler bits in the later part of the season and fleshed out the plot more. Farouk's completion of the transformation to protagonist needed more explicit drive, and I could have used more detail about, or action in, the land outside time. The Cary/Kerry thing felt a little rough as well. Conversely, the parental backstory was fine, although the fact that younger Farouk still has a bunch of children being used as head-prisons is squicky (not to mention the monkey with the king), and I wasn't as bothered by the Switch arc as I thought I might be.

Definitely and disappointingly the weakest of the three seasons.
I agree with all that. As I've said before, I put it down to the show's creator being more interested in his other projects (such as Fargo) and unwilling to put much effort into Legion.

There was about two-show's worth of plot--at best--stretched out into eight episodes.

It's a shame because it was such a noble experiment: deal with the usual comic-book tropes in a deep and thoughtful way. (Among other things.)

Last edited by Sherrerd; 09-10-2019 at 05:59 PM.