Old 08-11-2019, 10:39 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
Never said it was easy, just feasible with the same techniques used to build a ski lift at a lower mountain. And I linked how the process was accomplished and even mathematically proved it feasible with a recurrence.

You cannot use the same techniques at that elevation.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
You cannot use the same techniques at that elevation.
Pretty sure you can. There is no magical difference between 10,000 feet and 30,000 feet except for a lack of oxygen. Mountain is still made of granite. Suspension cables still can span for a kilometer if you need to skip past ice flows and other unstable regions. Gravity and other forces are within a small percent. Also, fun fact, wind force is proportional to pressure, so some of the forces might actually be easier to deal with.

So your workers wear pressure suits. Pressure-compression suits if you can afford a custom run of them. (originally the U-2 spyplane pilots wore these, they are real). Advantage of these type of suits is they don't balloon like spacesuits and it is more practical to work while wearing them.

Space suits are expensive and the work would go much slower and you get much less work done per worker per hour. Plus you need to train the workers in suit usage and probably pay them like divers.

So the project is expensive. Maybe too expensive to be done. I never claimed it was easy or even economically feasible, just clearly and obviously technically feasible.

Last edited by SamuelA; 08-11-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
Is that the guy who said we could nuke an asteroid just as efficiently as we could freeze humans until death was solved?

Tripler
Yeah, thatís right. We could download ourselvesówhat could possibly go wrong?
Yes. Sammy's the one who advocated for killing the elderly before they die of natural causes OR if they start showing any signs of mental decay. See, what you is, you kill them, cut their head off and then you cryogenically preserve their head. Later, when we can replicate the human brain with nanabots, you can defrost the head and move all those precious memories into nanobots brains. It's simple! Not remotely horrid to argue for killing billions. Nope. He's a peach! (And the science is spot. on.)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Yes. Sammy's the one who advocated for killing the elderly before they die of natural causes OR if they start showing any signs of mental decay. See, what you is, you kill them, cut their head off and then you cryogenically preserve their head. Later, when we can replicate the human brain with nanabots, you can defrost the head and move all those precious memories into nanobots brains. It's simple! Not remotely horrid to argue for killing billions. Nope. He's a peach! (And the science is spot. on.)
Or saving billions. The science that human consciousness, personality, and memories comes from the physical structure of the brain is spot on. Small sections of animal brain have been successfully frozen and revived, with neural electrical activity upon revival. So the basic idea seems like it has more traction than letting the elderly turn into corpses with absolute certainty on relatively short and predictable timescales.

"killing" is a point of view argument that is actually surprisingly slippery. Unfortunately, our moral systems are not really designed for advancing technology.

For example, the most plausible way all this would work is, one of your relatives is showing symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. This person is examined by licensed physicians, and fMRIs reveal his/her brain is slowly going dark.

Rather than wait for your relative to turn into a corpse for certain, you make the decision to have him/her frozen. (you have power of attorney) Medicare provides the service, and a couple centuries later the frozen brain sample is scanned and an accurate computer emulation is run of your relative.

You are there to see it. (because 30 years later, when it's your time, they are able to freeze you in a far more effective way, or rebuild your body so you don't die in the first place)

Has your relative been murdered? Frankly there is no absolute way to answer that question. Also, such a computer emulation might in fact not match what you remember for numerous reasons, including things not related to the information loss from the freezing. So much of what we think of as "personality traits" may be due to organic flaws in our minds.

Anyways, I see it as a net good. You see it as killing billions. Guess we will have to disagree, but I think it's pretty clear which way society will fall on this once we get closer to concrete realization of these ideas.

Last edited by SamuelA; 08-11-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:34 PM

This is why we love you.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:54 PM

This would make a cool story if a time machine was involved. Then, when they first incise/decapitate the first volunteer to donate their head (probably a crypto-scientist), futuristic nanobots ooze out of the neck and take over all others through their necks to achieve a “true and total crypto society”.

I’d watch it.

JIC: copyright/Locriandisasterfilms2019

Last edited by Locrian; 08-11-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:25 PM

Oh sweet Jesus, he's at it AGAIN.

I really wish there was a way to put a muzzle on him.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

For those of us wise in the ways of SamAth, 1 "could" is equal to 1/12th of a "just", if I'm doing the conversion right. Tripler? Can you confirm?
Old 08-18-2019, 01:10 PM

How many "obviouslys" is that?
Old 08-18-2019, 05:38 PM

I notice that that particular thread was closed shortly after our hero shoved his oar in to declare that all women can of course be reduced to waist-hip ratios and "other feature vectors" calculated from "a LIDAR scan". This bloviating jargon-infested babbling pomposity combined with exactly the sort of shameless and oblivious misogyny one would expect from a self-proclaimed exploitative douchebag who brags about fantasies of sex tourism is, in fact, the archetypal SamuelA.

I don't claim that the thread was closed because Sammy made an appearance, just sayin' -- the appearance of Sammy and/or SlackerInc seems to be frequently associated with a thread's demise. I note also that the thread in IMHO in which a poster sort of tries to apologize a little for being a testosterone-infested horndog who instinctively objectifies women lacks Sammy's participation and is still open. I assume Sammy elected not to participate in that thread because he couldn't figure out what the guy could possibly be trying to apologize for.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

That's probably SamC.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
For those of us wise in the ways of SamAth, 1 "could" is equal to 1/12th of a "just", if I'm doing the conversion right. Tripler? Can you confirm?
Given that 1 "Just" = √(-1) ∙ 3.762 x 10^109 nanobots, 1 "Could" is 1/12 of a "Just" and is = √(-1) ∙ 3.135 x 10^108 nanobots. One "Could" is equal to the imaginary power of 3.135 x 10^8 times one googol [10x10^100] of nanobots' power. [3.135 x 10^8 times a 'nano' of any unit equals 0.3135 units]

What does this mean in practice? This means that with one dim (0.3135 W)-witted idea times one Google search, SamuelA will post it. I think we've seen plenty of examples where this has been the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
How many "obviouslys" is that?
That's open to debate.

Before I forget, here's a status on the Great SamuelA Cheeto Banning Challenge 2019 competition:
Quote:
SunnyDaze (8/10 or 11 dependent on privilege restoration);
Oredigger77 (8/13);
Guest Starring: Id! (8/14);
Tripler (8/18);

JohnT (8/21);
TroutMan (8/30);
SlowMovingVehicle (9/4);
Atamasama (9/22).
Round #2 will open up on October 1st.

Here's the rub: SamuelA has a pretty predictable pattern, where he'll post all "nice-nice" for a period of time, offering "advice" and "facts/opinions" on things, and generally keeping his head down. Then he'll fall into some sort of funk, will expose another trace of racism, and when called on it, will spiral down into another crash. With his suspension recently lifted, I think you can see the tone of his posts being "nice," but now shifting down into a lower-brow sort of path. It's a matter of time before we see the real SamuelA expose himself again, and I think that'll coincide with the opening of Round #2. Fresh Cheetos will be provided to the winner. But I digress. . .

------Shifting Gears-----

I'd like to ask a few questions . . .

Quote:
Remember project Orion? So rebuild some nukes as as propulsion charges and detonate them at a distance from the asteroid.
I remember reading about Orion. It was, as you call it, a "thought experiment" that never left 'paperspace.' How would propulsion charges help you? And how would you expect to generate sufficient blast overpressure in a vaccum?

The Kiwi and NERVA experiments worked better for propulsion, and are far more feasible to manufacture and use. I'll toss you a bone, and tell you to look those up instead. . . Get back with us after you're done.

Quote:
Pretty sure you can.
Pretty sure that with that post you'd made, you're doing some vast oversimplifications and handwaving, that you'll need to address before you say "you can." To wit:
  • How are you going to anchor foundations into a >45-degree slope, in a potentially non-bedrock environment? How are you going to guard for seismic issues?
  • Will you be using a suspension architecture, cantilever, or post-and-rod architecture for the towers to run your cable cars?
  • What mixture of concretes will you use for the altitute/vapor pressure differentials? How will you supply that concrete, and other building materials to the site?
  • How will you provide the infrastructure necessary (power, water, sewer, comms) to continue with the production on site in one of the most austere environments on Earth?
  • What is your lifecycle maintenance plan for this project? "Who will maintain all of the moving parts at 29,500+ feet?" What special materials (i.e. lubricants and fuels) will you need to substitute at higher altitudes and extreme climactic conditions?
  • What does your cost-benefit analysis tell you about the engineering methods necessary to scale the height and span the distances? Is existing architecture used in the 5-10k foot altitude sufficient?
  • What are the political and economic limitations on your project that will drive the architectural and engineering principles to make this thing come to life? (What are your constraints? Do you really believe the Nepalese government will allow this?)
  • Most importantly:Why are you recommending this project be built? What problems does it solve? Are you installing this for the benefit of one person per year, or is there a greater market?

Why do you need a cable-car when even you, someone who claimed to be an Army medic, would realize that a Harvest Falcon 4-bed EMEDS kit* (Ref 1-3), hauled up the mountain to the nearest safe escarpment, would provide at least a Role 2 medical capability (advanced trauma management and emergency medical treatment) to stabilize the injured/ill person until they can be brought down the mountain. No drilling, no concrete, just lay out the assets and provide a staff, with the most difficult part being getting a power cable up the mountain. Infinitely more practical than a cable car or ski lift up one of the remaining majestic adventures on the planet.

But if you want to prove that your cable car is feasible, start by addressing the above list.

Quote:
So the project is expensive. Maybe too expensive to be done. I never claimed it was easy or even economically feasible, just clearly and obviously technically feasible.
These are weasel-words, because you have not done any homework (see above) to address real-world concerns. But, I don't know where this idea came forward, or what it was meant to address. . . I suspect it came from another thread, addressing another topic, and I will defer to your OP there. Please link to the original thread where you proposed the idea of a cable-car up Mount Everest, so we can have some context.

Tripler
*Note: I'm old-school and am used to Harvest Falcon. I understand the Air Force is evolving to a new system.

Reference 1: AFTTP 3-42.7, Aerospace Medical Contingency Ground Support System, 10 Oct 2013
Reference 2: AFH 10-222, Volume 2, Bare Base Assets, 6 Feb 2012
Reference 3: AFPAM 10-219 Volume 5, Bare Base Conceptual Planning, 4 April 2013.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I don't claim that the thread was closed because Sammy made an appearance, just sayin' -- the appearance of Sammy and/or SlackerInc seems to be frequently associated with a thread's demise.
They are forum banshees. They donít kill threads directly but when they appear, wailing their hideous laments, they are heralding the eminent demise of the thread.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:39 PM

In all fairness, in thinking this over I'm not sure that Sammy claims to be an expert on absolutely everything. I believe his great expertise primarily centers on human relationships, finance, and of course his favorite, all of technology, science, and engineering. It seems to work more or less as follows:

Human relationships: Women are worthless except as sex objects to be exploited, and we should all be extremely jealous of Sammy's claimed ability to do so in his capacity as a whoremongering STD-infected misogynistic douchebag.

Finance: One should always over-extend oneself on credit cards and pay exorbitant interest on them, and claim on message boards that one is so financially astute that credit card debts are always paid in full. When challenged on this contradiction, claim that you own two credit cards, and follow the first policy on one, and the second on the other. One should note here that the best financial advice always comes from penniless bums.

All technology: The solutions to all technological problems -- everything from deflecting asteroids to building a ski lift on Mount Everest to achieving immortality -- can be extrapolated from knowledge of a few basic principles which fortunately Sammy knows. One "just" (√(-1) ∙ 3.762 x 10^109 nanobots) needs to extrapolate those principles using one's giant throbbing brain (which, again fortunately, Sammy possesses) and whango! -- problem solved! (One needs to mentally say "problem solved" in the voice of Inspector Clouseau saying "the case is solv-ed"). For example, immortality is easily achieved by killing old and sick people and stuffing them in a freezer until science give us the all-clear to thaw them out again. The thawing is easily achieved with a large microwave on the "defrost" setting. Bringing them back to life then "just" requires about a hundred thousand nanobots waving little tiny Japanese fans. And of course, the nanobots have to perform whatever medical miracles are necessary, which is trivial since this is in the future.

What we really need here and which technology has not yet achieved -- but I suspect we're on the cusp of it -- is a 30-day suspension for Sammy that is automatically renewed every 30 days in perpetuity.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

The current list:

SunnyDaze (8/10 or 11 dependent on privilege restoration);
Oredigger77 (8/13);
Guest Starring: Id! (8/14);
Tripler (8/18);
JohnT (8/21);

TroutMan (8/30);
SlowMovingVehicle (9/4);
Atamasama (9/22).

Also noted that he's been avoiding this thread, but has been posting infrequently. One of which has been a thinly-veiled question on how to use E-Verify to . . .
Quote:
"actually reduce illegal immigration and employment, and it would be far more effective than a wall. Presumably cheaper as well."
He's been pretty milquetoast, with one or two exceptions since his suspension, but I noted his reliance--again--on databases and computer technology to solve social/political issues.

He still has yet to turn in his homework, too.

Anyway, If we go through all the selections, Round #2 will open up on October 1st. I suspect we will have to, since SamuelA has cracked open his six-pack of 'Weak Sauce.'

Tripler
I see he still hasn't stepped away from the Word Salad Buffet, either.

Last edited by Tripler; 08-23-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:45 PM

And we can add pharmaceutical research and rain forest ecology as subjects SamuelA is an "expert" on. Fine, he didn't state as such, but the premise of his OP is certainly that all of his statements are correct.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
And we can add pharmaceutical research and rain forest ecology as subjects SamuelA is an "expert" on. Fine, he didn't state as such, but the premise of his OP is certainly that all of his statements are correct.
Linky?
Old 08-25-2019, 02:16 PM

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=880940 is the link
Old 08-25-2019, 02:31 PM

I've never paid a lot of attention to SamuelA, but a couple weeks ago he did drop into a little discussion of ransomware and encryption in general to tell me i didn't know what I was talking about. He did this by making a wild misstatement of fact, then questioning my qualifications when I asked him for a cite. That was kinda annoying. I don't claim to know much about much, but I do actually teach cybersecurity for a living.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=880110
Old 08-26-2019, 02:41 PM

More SamA environmentalism trolling. I think he's both dumb enough to think the total oil consumption in the world is a fixed number, and dick enough to only post to rile people up with his superior non-PC brilliance.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
More SamA environmentalism trolling. I think he's both dumb enough to think the total oil consumption in the world is a fixed number, and dick enough to only post to rile people up with his superior non-PC brilliance.
I like how the last four posts aren't directly addressing the git.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-26-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I've never paid a lot of attention to SamuelA, but a couple weeks ago he did drop into a little discussion of ransomware and encryption in general to tell me i didn't know what I was talking about. He did this by making a wild misstatement of fact, then questioning my qualifications when I asked him for a cite. That was kinda annoying. I don't claim to know much about much, but I do actually teach cybersecurity for a living.

I'm glad that I didn't see that thread. I'm itching to jump in, but I think it's better to let it lie.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I'm glad that I didn't see that thread. I'm itching to jump in, but I think it's better to let it lie.
Yeah, prolly so.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post

You're in good company. This board has many experts and professionals from a wide variety of different fields and Sammy has argued with all of them. He even explains his SOP here. Basically the way it works is that Sammy stumbles across some idiotic factoid in some discreditable pseudo-scientific garbage like SuperFreakonomics, applies his giant throbbing brain to extrapolating this factoid to comically simplistic and grossly incorrect conclusions about how the world works, and considers that to be a sound basis for arguing with people who have devoted their entire careers to a specific field of science or technology. That's just how Sammy rolls. That is in effect what this whole lengthy Pit thread is about -- not that Sammy deserves the attention, it's more that in this world of sin and woe, we can always use a laugh, and Sammy's solemn pontifications are always a boundless source of comic relief.

Although since quietly returning from a 30-day suspension Sammy has been cranking up the idiocy to such a fearsome extent that I suspect it's deliberate trolling, because not even Sammy could be that stupid.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Given that 1 "Just" = √(-1) ∙ 3.762 x 10^109 nanobots, 1 "Could" is 1/12 of a "Just" and is = √(-1) ∙ 3.135 x 10^108 nanobots. One "Could" is equal to the imaginary power of 3.135 x 10^8 times one googol [10x10^100] of nanobots' power. [3.135 x 10^8 times a 'nano' of any unit equals 0.3135 units]

What does this mean in practice? This means that with one dim (0.3135 W)-witted idea times one Google search, SamuelA will post it. I think we've seen plenty of examples where this has been the case.

That's open to debate.

Before I forget, here's a status on the Great SamuelA Cheeto Banning Challenge 2019 competition:

Round #2 will open up on October 1st.

Here's the rub: SamuelA has a pretty predictable pattern, where he'll post all "nice-nice" for a period of time, offering "advice" and "facts/opinions" on things, and generally keeping his head down. Then he'll fall into some sort of funk, will expose another trace of racism, and when called on it, will spiral down into another crash. With his suspension recently lifted, I think you can see the tone of his posts being "nice," but now shifting down into a lower-brow sort of path. It's a matter of time before we see the real SamuelA expose himself again, and I think that'll coincide with the opening of Round #2. Fresh Cheetos will be provided to the winner. But I digress. . .

------Shifting Gears-----

I'd like to ask a few questions . . .

I remember reading about Orion. It was, as you call it, a "thought experiment" that never left 'paperspace.' How would propulsion charges help you? And how would you expect to generate sufficient blast overpressure in a vaccum?

The Kiwi and NERVA experiments worked better for propulsion, and are far more feasible to manufacture and use. I'll toss you a bone, and tell you to look those up instead. . . Get back with us after you're done.

Pretty sure that with that post you'd made, you're doing some vast oversimplifications and handwaving, that you'll need to address before you say "you can." To wit:
  • How are you going to anchor foundations into a >45-degree slope, in a potentially non-bedrock environment? How are you going to guard for seismic issues?
  • Will you be using a suspension architecture, cantilever, or post-and-rod architecture for the towers to run your cable cars?
  • What mixture of concretes will you use for the altitute/vapor pressure differentials? How will you supply that concrete, and other building materials to the site?
  • How will you provide the infrastructure necessary (power, water, sewer, comms) to continue with the production on site in one of the most austere environments on Earth?
  • What is your lifecycle maintenance plan for this project? "Who will maintain all of the moving parts at 29,500+ feet?" What special materials (i.e. lubricants and fuels) will you need to substitute at higher altitudes and extreme climactic conditions?
  • What does your cost-benefit analysis tell you about the engineering methods necessary to scale the height and span the distances? Is existing architecture used in the 5-10k foot altitude sufficient?
  • What are the political and economic limitations on your project that will drive the architectural and engineering principles to make this thing come to life? (What are your constraints? Do you really believe the Nepalese government will allow this?)
  • Most importantly:Why are you recommending this project be built? What problems does it solve? Are you installing this for the benefit of one person per year, or is there a greater market?

Why do you need a cable-car when even you, someone who claimed to be an Army medic, would realize that a Harvest Falcon 4-bed EMEDS kit* (Ref 1-3), hauled up the mountain to the nearest safe escarpment, would provide at least a Role 2 medical capability (advanced trauma management and emergency medical treatment) to stabilize the injured/ill person until they can be brought down the mountain. No drilling, no concrete, just lay out the assets and provide a staff, with the most difficult part being getting a power cable up the mountain. Infinitely more practical than a cable car or ski lift up one of the remaining majestic adventures on the planet.

But if you want to prove that your cable car is feasible, start by addressing the above list.

These are weasel-words, because you have not done any homework (see above) to address real-world concerns. But, I don't know where this idea came forward, or what it was meant to address. . . I suspect it came from another thread, addressing another topic, and I will defer to your OP there. Please link to the original thread where you proposed the idea of a cable-car up Mount Everest, so we can have some context.

Tripler
*Note: I'm old-school and am used to Harvest Falcon. I understand the Air Force is evolving to a new system.

Reference 1: AFTTP 3-42.7, Aerospace Medical Contingency Ground Support System, 10 Oct 2013
Reference 2: AFH 10-222, Volume 2, Bare Base Assets, 6 Feb 2012
Reference 3: AFPAM 10-219 Volume 5, Bare Base Conceptual Planning, 4 April 2013.
Cool. Note my definition of feasible is "given a budget up to the NASA Apollo program budget in constant dollars, and customizations of existing technology, the project could be completed".

I see it as physically realizable under those constraints. It could become real, it's not impossible.

Then for this problem I just need to note that:

You can skip the glaciers with suspension links
You can build 100m of cableway starting from the base town.
With space suits, you could build the last 100m to the peak of Everest, given limitless supplies and equipment from the past 15 kilometer cableway.

Rest is just extensions of the above two cases. Dynamic programming.

So to disprove it you would need to come up with a possible problem that NASA of 1969 couldn't solve.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:05 AM

Sammy, you are too dumb to even argue against.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Also noted that he's been avoiding this thread, but has been posting infrequently. One of which has been a thinly-veiled question on how to use E-Verify to . . . He's been pretty milquetoast, with one or two exceptions since his suspension, but I noted his reliance--again--on databases and computer technology to solve social/political issues.
I see this kind of thing in lots of places. One other site I hang around has had a number of discussions about self-driving/autonomous cars. there seems to be a depressingly large number of geeks (usually ardent Elon Musk fans) for whom the solution to everything is machine learning/neural nets and those solutions are easy and will be ready in a couple of years because of course they will. "Elon said they're collecting tons of data, so you just use machine learning with neural net and Full Self Driving will be here in 2020!"

Last edited by jz78817; 08-27-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:31 PM

Oh, and regarding Orion propulsion charges: these are nukes with propellant on one side of the weapon. When the nuke detonates the light and heat vaporizes and accelerates the propellant.

This cone of high velocity propellant hits a metal plate on the rocket and transfers momentum.

This sudden impulse has the advantage, allegedly, of more ISP than NERVA (it's hotter gas)

Umm in reality as a paper study I am not sure if they addressed heating or ablation losses, ablated material "counts" as part of the propellant efficiency (ISP) calculation.

Anyways you could in theory anchor an Orion drive engine to an asteroid and push it, or if it's a nickel iron asteroid, skip the engine and use the propulsion charges directly. (Aim the high velocity jets of each detonation at it's center of mass)

Given the fact that Orion drive works incredibly well in atmosphere it would let you launch enormous spacecraft with massive payloads. This seems like an obvious thing to try if a civilization ending astroid is coming.

But sure, we all die eventually, why bother trying. Just accept our fates. That's you. Everyone in this thread.

Last edited by SamuelA; 08-27-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
But sure, we all die eventually, why bother trying. Just accept our fates. That's you. Everyone in this thread.
No, please, you are mankindís last hope! Never give up!
Old 08-27-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Oh, and regarding Orion propulsion charges: these are nukes with propellant on one side of the weapon. When the nuke detonates the light and heat vaporizes and accelerates the propellant.

This cone of high velocity propellant hits a metal plate on the rocket and transfers momentum.

This sudden impulse has the advantage, allegedly, of more ISP than NERVA (it's hotter gas)

Umm in reality as a paper study I am not sure if they addressed heating or ablation losses, ablated material "counts" as part of the propellant efficiency (ISP) calculation.

Anyways you could in theory anchor an Orion drive engine to an asteroid and push it, or if it's a nickel iron asteroid, skip the engine and use the propulsion charges directly. (Aim the high velocity jets of each detonation at it's center of mass)

Given the fact that Orion drive works incredibly well in atmosphere it would let you launch enormous spacecraft with massive payloads. This seems like an obvious thing to try if a civilization ending astroid is coming.

Are you now saying that we can achieve immortality?
Old 08-28-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Also noted that he's been avoiding this thread, but has been posting infrequently. One of which has been a thinly-veiled question on how to use E-Verify to . . . He's been pretty milquetoast, with one or two exceptions since his suspension, but I noted his reliance--again--on databases and computer technology to solve social/political issues.
"He's been pretty milquetoast"

Well, shit. See, I don't want to get banned. Not because it would affect me in any real way, but because I don't want to read the post where the Cheetos winner posts a selfie of his/her cheese covered hands and gloats at how delicious they taste on such a glorious occasion.

But now I wonder if maybe that was your plan all along. I mean, you were a military officer, you know how to lead difficult to lead soldiers with mixtures of positive and negative reinforcement. Maybe you planned it this way and by staying within the lines on here you're getting exactly what you wanted...

Finally, what's "thinly veiled" about talking about making illegal immigrants not depress the labor market for red blooded American citizens that you once swore to protect? If you read further I even conclude that the ones who have been here a long time were de facto paid to be here and I coming to the obvious conclusion that illegal immigrants shouldn't be thought of as these hordes of "others" invading the USA.

They should be thought of as cigar smoking assholes in large business flouting the law on minimum wage and hiring citizens and these villains are paying the hordes of third world residents to evade the border. They are the actual criminals. Not the poor, destitute illegal immigrants seeking a better life.

Last edited by SamuelA; 08-28-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
They should be thought of as cigar smoking assholes in large business flouting the law on minimum wage and hiring citizens and these villains are paying the hordes of third world residents to evade the border. They are the actual criminals. Not the poor, destitute illegal immigrants seeking a better life.
This might be the first time Iíve read something you wrote and agree with you. I share this opinion.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
This might be the first time Iíve read something you wrote and agree with you. I share this opinion.
Technically if my ignorance level goes from 100% (the opinions of the posters in this thread) to 99.9999%, ignorance has been decreased.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Now he has the brilliant idea to stick basically a giant picnic table umbrella in space to block the sun from heating up the ocean, so hurricanes can't form.

That's like something from the Who Shot Montgomery Burns cliffhanger!

Tripler can I have September 13 in your pool? It's Friday the 13 th and I have a good feeling about it!
Old 08-29-2019, 08:59 AM

I might agree with you more if I didn't think "cigar chomping assholes" was just an attempt to distract from your racism. "Red blooded American citizens?" What color blood do you think the immigrants have? Oh right, they're different from us.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Technically if my ignorance level goes from 100% (the opinions of the posters in this thread) to 99.9999%, ignorance has been decreased.
If you spread 0.0001% less ignorance, you are still increasing the amount of ignorance by slightly less than one metric shit-ton, rather than full metric shit-ton you usually spew.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:52 AM

In the future, they're gonna thaw his brain out just for the LOLs.

CMC fnord!
Old 08-29-2019, 12:15 PM

I think the written record will be good enough.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:50 PM

Maybe we could convince Sammy to freeze himself, like, right now, thus preserving his enormous throbbing brain for the benefit of future generations. I know it's a horrible thing to do to blameless future generations, but the appeal of shutting him the fuck up is irresistible. I say let the future take care of itself -- maybe they'll invent a miracle therapy that replaces the obsessive need to bloviate with some maturity and humility.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
I might agree with you more if I didn't think "cigar chomping assholes" was just an attempt to distract from your racism. "Red blooded American citizens?" What color blood do you think the immigrants have? Oh right, they're different from us.
But itís a common term:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQue...oded_american/

Good grief Iím defending SamuelA (shudder) but in this case the terminology fits, since itís evoking patriotism (ironically?) and wasnít intended literally.

Can somebody change the subject? I donít like doing this.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:46 PM

You've seen his oeuvre...what connotations do you think it has for him?
Old 08-29-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
You've seen his oeuvre...what connotations do you think it has for him?
In the context of his statement, heís using the term ďred-blooded AmericanĒ ironically because he follows it up by painting American employers as the real problem, and not the immigrants they exploit. He even explicitly states, ďillegal immigrants shouldn't be thought of as these hordes of Ďothersí invading the USA.Ē It doesnít even require much analysis, just reading both paragraphs in full.

Iím not saying heís a saint. Heís repeatedly expressed his fondness for young foreign prostitutes. Although his taste is apparently in Eastern European girls, maybe he wants to broaden his horizons and engage in some domestic sex tourism? I donít know his mind and never want to.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:26 PM

Holy shit, I think we found SamuelA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Old 09-06-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Holy shit, I think we found SamuelA.
If that's not Sammy, it's certainly someone who exactly follows his modus operandi, namely: (a) acquire a tiny snippet of knowledge about something, and (b) extrapolate wildly and thereby (c) solve all the world's problems!

In this case, the moron in the video has learned that hurricanes form due to warm sea surface temperatures, so his solution is classic Sammy: [just] dump ice cubes into the ocean to cool it! That's why we have a navy (left unsaid: that's also why we have refrigerators!). Also, since we also have an air force, [just] send in some planes to make the hurricane winds blow in the opposite direction! Presumably, these would be the ones with the big propellers that make a lot of wind, not the silly jets.

To be fair to the moron, Sammy would probably have proposed something even less realistic, undoubtedly involving self-replicating nanobots with little tiny fans doing all the work.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
To be fair to the moron, Sammy would probably have proposed something even less realistic, undoubtedly involving self-replicating nanobots with little tiny fans doing all the work.
Don't knock it. After all, you blow on your coffee to cool it off before you drink it. You blow candles out. It's hard to light the barbecue when it's windy.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Sorry guys, been on travel. Tricoteuse, gotcha covered for the 13th.

I’m on a cellphone, but I’ll post this weekend.

Trip
Old 09-23-2019, 08:45 AM

Apparently he only has a hammer (The Cloud) and everything seems to be a nail to him.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:00 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

He doesn't know what a mobile home is.
Quote:
Are you planning to do the "tour the country in an RV" thing that medium-budget seniors do?

If so, I will comment on the worst part of those RVs in my experience with them - the waste disposal. The poop dump tube setup is just not as clean and straightforward to use as you would think, there are a lot of ways to screw and and get waste on you...
Old 09-23-2019, 10:10 AM

"there are a lot of ways to screw and and get waste on you..."

His ideas about engineering and stuff are bad enough! I don't want to hear about his sex life!
Old 09-23-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
He doesn't know what a mobile home is.
I think that once again, you are underestimating him. Of course he knows what a mobile home is!

Itís a house that can be disassembled by a cloud of nanobots and reassembled at a place of your choosing. Itís just that simple.