Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic
1.That's not the case in this thread. In this case, what I'm saying is "I am using this set of ethics to guide my actions towards you' with the justification of 'this is the set of ethics that you use to guide your actions towards me' if there's an objection.

2. I disagree. You have an ethical duty to maximize stakeholder return, and therefore keeping your options open for a better job is actually an ethical obligation, and accepting an implicit one-sided agreement would actually be unethical as it would not maximize stakeholder return.
ISTM, then, that if a given action is governed by a set of ethics - for instance, maximizing returns for stake holders - then it is just as ethical for an employee to take a job but quit as soon as he got a better offer as it is to hire an employee, and fire him as soon as they find a better employee. It's a different set of stake holders, but the principle is the same because the ethical system is the same.

If either side is supposed to consider the interest of the other side's stake holders, then both firing an employee because they found someone better, and quitting a job because they found one that was better, are equally unethical.

"Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander" and "do unto others as you would have others do unto you" are not the same principle, but if you make either the basis for your ethics, either should apply consistently.

Regards,
Shodan

Last edited by Shodan; 08-30-2019 at 10:33 AM.