#151  
Old 09-09-2019, 11:40 AM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
It seems odd to me to focus on elite university admission rates when the evidence is consistent across a variety of other fields. We can argue about whether one, or two, or a dozen specific universities have practice that harms Asians, but the data is quite clear that discriminatory practices that harms Asians is prevalent across a much wider and larger scale.
It's a hot button issue for asians. It's not like we don't know that there is racism elsewhere. We see it at every level above middle management in corporate america. We see it when professors are granted tenure, we see it on dating apps and pornography, we see it in how teachers treat our kids. But a lot of asians sort of grit their teeth and grind through it because they think that their kids can get into a good college and have a better life. So when you start to take away their dream of a better life for their kids, it really bugs them.

I have never seen asians more politically active and motivated than they are now. And they are starting to move away from the Democrats.
  #152  
Old 09-09-2019, 11:45 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
I have never seen asians more politically active and motivated than they are now. And they are starting to move away from the Democrats.
Is there data that supports this? And where are they going?
  #153  
Old 09-09-2019, 12:14 PM
Chingon is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the hypersphere
Posts: 633
Maybe it's toxic Asian culture?
  #154  
Old 09-09-2019, 12:37 PM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
And they are starting to move away from the Democrats.
Good news for the Greens. Because they'd have to be fucking insane to swing to the Republicans.
  #155  
Old 09-09-2019, 02:03 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Is there data that supports this? And where are they going?
Data? yes.

To support that proposition?

You decide:
Quote:
In the 2014 midterm elections, 49 percent of Asian American voters backed a Democratic House candidate, according to exit polls. But in 2018, that number shot up to 77 percent.

It was a massive surge ó and itís a trend thatís been building for some time: As the Republican Party has moved to the right, especially on issues like immigration, Asian American voters are increasingly aligning themselves with Democrats. Since 2016, Trumpís presidency has only amplified this shift, with the White Houseís focus on anti-immigrant policy putting voters off even more.
The silver lining is, I'm increasingly understanding why DA doesn't provide cites.
  #156  
Old 09-09-2019, 06:23 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Good news for the Greens. Because they'd have to be fucking insane to swing to the Republicans.
Minorities leaving the Democratic plantation will only benefit them in the long term. Knowingly having a captive demographic means that they can be taken for granted.
  #157  
Old 09-09-2019, 06:26 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Minorities leaving the Democratic plantation will only benefit them in the long term. Knowingly having a captive demographic means that they can be taken for granted.
God what an offensive and ignorant phrase that is. Do you know what plantations were really like? It's like calling the Republican party the "Republican death camp".
  #158  
Old 09-10-2019, 12:01 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Minorities leaving the Democratic plantation will only benefit them in the long term.
Is dey leabin' de "plantation" to be Republican House Asians, Massah?
  #159  
Old 09-10-2019, 05:41 AM
Ruken is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 7,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Yes. He concludes that "The book concluded that Asian American applicants to United States colleges were much more likely to be rejected by seven elite colleges than were similar members of any other race" but he can't prove its racism because the schools will not share their admissions data.

Since then Harvard has had to share some of its admissions data and the things that he said he didn't have access to are now a little more available. And here's what we have discovered:

Harvard admissions committees routinely score asian applicants lower on personal scores than whites despite the fact that alumni interviewers do not have a similar disparity in personal scores.

Harvard has a higher cut off to send recruitment material to asians than to whites.

So how exactly do you explain how the asian population has stayed flat for decades despite an ever increasing asian population?
I don't need to explain it; that's what you've failed to do thus far. Again, you've offered us nothing concrete to dismiss. To support an anti-Asian bias, you referenced an author who doesn't think his data establish an anti-Asian bias.
  #160  
Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 AM
Ruken is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 7,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
And you think that white applicants have this attribute 400% more frequently than asian applicants?
They don't need to. Your 400% is unsupported.
  #161  
Old 09-10-2019, 06:25 AM
Manda JO is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
I agree that there are a bunch of factors that weigh in the white applicant's favor. The study corrected for legacy, athletics, extracurriculars. If you are basically saying that the 4 fold advantage that white students hold over asian students is primarily due to the number of white students coming from feeder schools, I'd have to ask for a cite that shows how white Andover graduates have higher acceptance rates than asians with similar scores, extracurriculars, athletic prferences and legacy status.

My understanding was that Andover was a feeder school because so many of the kids there are legacies, engage in inaccessible sports like crew and sailing, and are screened by the Andover admission process. I didn't think you got an extra 400% bump because you went to Andover.
You're assuming feeder schools are equally open to Asian applicants.

It's not just Andover. There's a couple dozen or more. They have insanely high acceptance rates at top colleges. Yes, there's a lot of overlap with other things, like legacy and sports, but lots of "great" public schools have crew teams too--and they don't send 35% of their class to HYPSM. You are vastly underestimating how corrupt and unfair this system is.

I don't have a cite. I have the same evidence you do for what "Asians" are saying about these things. You're involved in that community. This is my community. The relationships between some of the feeder schools and the highly selective colleges are, in some cases, older than this country. It's like lobbyists and bureaucrats--being an admissions officer is a young person's game. The goal is to go from there to being a private counselor at one of these schools. Your relationship with the people you leave behind are your dowry.

Also, to be really clear, the Feeder School kids absolutely have the stats, the achievements, the personal qualities it takes to get into the schools they go to. But so do, say, the strongest 10 kids at the top 300 public schools in the country, and the strongest 1 or 2 kids at the top 500 public schools in the country. But take that pool of 3000 kids and compare it to the 3000 graduating in the top half of feeder schools, and there will be no comparison about who gets into the highly selective Universities. Legacy and sports helps--but it's not just that.

I will tell you that an Upper Middle Class Nice White Kid with wonderful but generic accomplishments is a drag on the market. In my pretty extensive experience, they are exactly as hard to place in the highly selectives as an Asian kid with similar stats. In both cases, it's nearly impossible. It's in the range that you could have a 400% difference that was basically meaningless, because 1/10,000 and 4/10,000 pretty much is the same for the individual.

As far as PSAT recruiting, I'm comfortable saying that's bullshit and racist, but I don't think it has anything to do with who they want at their school: it's harvesting applications. It may be they just think Asian kids with a 1350 on the PSAT are savvy enough to know there's no point in applying to Harvard.
  #162  
Old 10-01-2019, 03:47 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
They don't need to. Your 400% is unsupported.
Of course its supported. I've cited a ton of evidence.

What you seem to be asking for is incontrovertible proof.

If I had this level of evidence supporting the idea that there was racism against any other minority, would you still be asking for proof?
  #163  
Old 10-01-2019, 03:55 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
You're assuming feeder schools are equally open to Asian applicants.

It's not just Andover. There's a couple dozen or more. They have insanely high acceptance rates at top colleges. Yes, there's a lot of overlap with other things, like legacy and sports, but lots of "great" public schools have crew teams too--and they don't send 35% of their class to HYPSM. You are vastly underestimating how corrupt and unfair this system is.

I don't have a cite. I have the same evidence you do for what "Asians" are saying about these things. You're involved in that community. This is my community. The relationships between some of the feeder schools and the highly selective colleges are, in some cases, older than this country. It's like lobbyists and bureaucrats--being an admissions officer is a young person's game. The goal is to go from there to being a private counselor at one of these schools. Your relationship with the people you leave behind are your dowry.

Also, to be really clear, the Feeder School kids absolutely have the stats, the achievements, the personal qualities it takes to get into the schools they go to. But so do, say, the strongest 10 kids at the top 300 public schools in the country, and the strongest 1 or 2 kids at the top 500 public schools in the country. But take that pool of 3000 kids and compare it to the 3000 graduating in the top half of feeder schools, and there will be no comparison about who gets into the highly selective Universities. Legacy and sports helps--but it's not just that.

I will tell you that an Upper Middle Class Nice White Kid with wonderful but generic accomplishments is a drag on the market. In my pretty extensive experience, they are exactly as hard to place in the highly selectives as an Asian kid with similar stats. In both cases, it's nearly impossible. It's in the range that you could have a 400% difference that was basically meaningless, because 1/10,000 and 4/10,000 pretty much is the same for the individual.

As far as PSAT recruiting, I'm comfortable saying that's bullshit and racist, but I don't think it has anything to do with who they want at their school: it's harvesting applications. It may be they just think Asian kids with a 1350 on the PSAT are savvy enough to know there's no point in applying to Harvard.
Right, because all the racist bullshit that Harvard is doing doesnt really mean that Harvard is racist.

I went to one of Harvard's feeder schools and there was an apparent racial tilt among applicants at the feeder school.

And isnt controlling for legacies is not a reasonable proxy for controlling for feeder schools? I mean other than stuyvesant all the feeder schools are chock full of legacies
  #164  
Old 10-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,394
Trial court finds for Harvard. Will be appealed.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01/73038...dmissions-case

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 10-01-2019 at 03:57 PM.
  #165  
Old 10-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Really Not All That Bright is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 68,322
The American Jewish community has had the right of this for decades: as soon as some racism is okay, all racism is okay. That train is never late. Currently, this primarily manifests in liberal support for the rights of Muslims, but it could be Hispanics or non-Muslim Asians or Inuit or American Indians or anyone. Are Asians a "disadvantaged" minority in the US? As a group, no. But Asians aren't a group. Chinese and Indian immigrants have done well. Cambodians and Phillippinos haven't. Either way, Asians pulling support from the Democratic Party is suicide.
__________________
This can only end in tears.
  #166  
Old 10-02-2019, 01:22 PM
Ruken is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: DC
Posts: 7,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Of course its supported. I've cited a ton of evidence.
Lol, "a ton", you say. That's verifiable. Let's see. . .
You've posted some 50 times to this thread. Post #88 has two citations, neither of which address your 400%. That's about it. You do obliquely reference a study by Espenshade that I already busted you on. So, no, it's not supported, and no, you haven't cited a ton of evidence; you've hardly cited anything at all despite 50 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
What you seem to be asking for is incontrovertible proof.
I expect what I expected from the Ivy League students I taught -- actual arguments (i.e. not ending in question marks) supported by evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
If I had this level of evidence supporting the idea that there was racism against any other minority, would you still be asking for proof?
You're welcome to attempt an argument one way or another; I'm certainly not going to do your work for you.

Last edited by Ruken; 10-02-2019 at 01:22 PM.
  #167  
Old 10-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
The American Jewish community has had the right of this for decades: as soon as some racism is okay, all racism is okay.
Asians are just now learning this. Shame on us.

Quote:
Either way, Asians pulling support from the Democratic Party is suicide.
The support isn't going to shift while Trump is in office but he won't always be in office.
  #168  
Old 10-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
You do obliquely reference a study by Espenshade that I already busted you on.
Busted me on? The author said that his study wasn't a smoking gun. That's not busting me on it. That's pettifoggery.

We don't have a smoking gun that smoking causes cancer (or at least we didn't when society at large became convinced that smoking caused cancer), all we have is the same sort of statistical evidence that there is anti-Asian discrimination.

Quote:
I expect what I expected from the Ivy League students I taught -- actual arguments (i.e. not ending in question marks) supported by evidence.
The argument in a nutshell is that there is overwhelming statistical evidence that Asians are statistically less likely to be admitted to selective colleges than similar applicants of other races. This is hard to explain unless there is a bias against Asians in the admissions process.

Quote:
You're welcome to attempt an argument one way or another; I'm certainly not going to do your work for you.
How would you explain the statistical discrepancy?
  #169  
Old 10-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Manda JO is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 11,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
And isnt controlling for legacies is not a reasonable proxy for controlling for feeder schools? I mean other than stuyvesant all the feeder schools are chock full of legacies
I don't think that it is. Lots of kids at Feeder schools don't target the school they have Legacy status at.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017