Old 09-06-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower Waling View Post
[cringe]

Firing one's firearm into the air …
My bedroom ceiling was dripping. I went up on the roof and found a perfect little quarter-inch hole showing a slightly off-vertical angle of entry. It could have been a meteorite. I suspect not.

This was about a year ago. Maybe two.

Last edited by eschereal; 09-06-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:18 AM

How about calling the number for the "Time Lady"? When we wanted to set our watches/clocks to the exact time, we'd dial a number that we all had memorized and a recording would tell you the time. Towards the end, the Time Lady would even tell you what the current temp was.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I may be mistaken, but I believe that service (the "time lady") was considered so valuable that it was required by regulation for service areas of a certain size.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...s29-story.html

An article about this finally ending in CA back in 2007. Doesn't mention the regulatory requirement, so I may be wrong on that, but that is a good one.

Last edited by JohnT; 09-06-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
How about calling the number for the "Time Lady"? When we wanted to set our watches/clocks to the exact time, we'd dial a number that we all had memorized and a recording would tell you the time. Towards the end, the Time Lady would even tell you what the current temp was.
I still remember the number for my city's time and temperature (747-1212), but it wasn't a Lady. You'd hear a man give a one-sentence plug for the Marine Bank, followed by "Marine Bank time" and "Marine Bank temperature."
Old 09-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Around here that would not be uncommon. Day Drinking during the work week, however, has surely tapered off. When I started practicing law, several judges had lunch every day at the lounge across the street from the courthouse. This was in the 80s. I was told that in the 60s and 70s it was even more widespread.
During the summers when I was in college in the 70s, I worked for Kelly Girl temp services. Usually the job was holding down the desk of a secretary on vacation. I worked two weeks in an office where the bar was opened after lunch on Fridays. I drank Crown Royal and Coke and left there drunk off my ass both times. I figured they owed me for calling me "honey" and making me get them coffee.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
"Stronger than ever" is likely not, in fact, the case, for most fraternal and social organizations. Most of them peaked in the 1950s and 1960s, and have seen a steady decline in membership for decades, and few younger people have interest in joining organizations that seem to be more oriented towards their parents and grandparents.
I remember an article in the local paper a good number of years ago - late 90s or early-aughts - about a big controversy at the local Elks lodge. It seems they had decided to repeal a bylaw that required men to remove their hats when drinking at the club's bar. The reasoning behind the repeal was that it was an artifact of a different time and one more obstacle in the way of recruiting younger members.

Add in other "archaic" rules and rituals. The local chapter of the Lions Club holds their weekly lunch where I work. Every lunch includes a singalong, singing a cheesy little song about how great our community is, set to a tune that was popular in the 1930s. It's a practice that started in a time when that qualified as entertainment. I'm over 50, and that just feels really outdated to me, and not something I would want to do over lunch. And I'm good singer. I can completely understand younger people, particularly if they don't feel they can sing well, not wanting to participate in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
I do recall that there seemed to be a meme where young girls were taught to "smile more" by their parents as an expression of good manners. I remember over-hearing little girls being told that by their mothers. Often as not it ended in a rebellious scowl, but sometimes a grudging and fake smile. Contrarily I've never heard that addressed to a little boy. So it may have been something programmed into the young girls that has faded away like other archaic mannerisms. "Show a happy face to the world and always wear clean underwear!"
I blame the lack of smiling on the now-omnipresent bombardment of advertising, specifically fashion-related advertising, featuring one glamorous model after another with "resting bitch face". It's convinced a couple generations of women that being unsmiling is part of being attractive.

I'm betting that this is related to the stereotype of "nerds" being obsessed with Asian women. "Nerds" were the early internet adopters, which allowed them more opportunity to see images of Asian women who live in their native countries (as opposed to Asian-Americans/Europeans who are American/Western-socialized). I remember the very first thing I noticed about photos of Japanese models/actresses/celebrities was that they were always smiling. That made them seem friendly and approachable, as opposed to the unfriendly, vaguely-threatening image of Western models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
Mustaches were very common among men in the 1970s. I think only state troopers have them now.
Fun fact: My dad is at least partly responsible for Washington State Patrol officers being allowed to wear mustaches. Up until the late 1980s, these guys were required to be completely clean-shaven. Somehow, my dad ended up on a "uniform committee". Most of his work on the committee involved bringing home a huge assortment of bulletproof vests and wearing them to work to assess the comfort level of different models for all-day wear. They discussed many other uniform options as well. At one meeting, he suggested changing the "no facial hair" regulation to allow mustaches, on the grounds that "this is the only thing we've discussed that won't cost the state a nickel".

One thing I noticed a while back is what products are advertised. My best example is canned tuna. During my childhood in the 1970s, TV commercials for Bumblebee, Star-Kist, and Chicken of the Sea were staples. The jingles are burned into my memory. I can remember freaking toys featuring Charlie Tuna. At some point in the late 1990s, it dawned on me that I couldn't remember the last time I saw a tuna commercial.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
Add in other "archaic" rules and rituals. The local chapter of the Lions Club holds their weekly lunch where I work. Every lunch includes a singalong, singing a cheesy little song about how great our community is, set to a tune that was popular in the 1930s. It's a practice that started in a time when that qualified as entertainment. I'm over 50, and that just feels really outdated to me, and not something I would want to do over lunch.
That reminds me--do high schools still have school songs that they sometimes make you sing at assemblies?
(Also, the IBM songbook made the internet rounds a few years back.)
Old 09-06-2019, 02:34 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
One thing I noticed a while back is what products are advertised. My best example is canned tuna. During my childhood in the 1970s, TV commercials for Bumblebee, Star-Kist, and Chicken of the Sea were staples. The jingles are burned into my memory. I can remember freaking toys featuring Charlie Tuna. At some point in the late 1990s, it dawned on me that I couldn't remember the last time I saw a tuna commercial.
I suspect that that's the case for a lot of household staples -- the brand names are well-established (in part though those decades of past advertising), but a lot of people now buy those categories based on price, and the margins on those products don't allow for TV advertising. Plus, a lot of those categories (like old-school canned and frozen foods) are ones that aren't necessarily "on trend" for consumer preferences and tastes, and they may lack appeal to younger shoppers.

FWIW, StarKist still does some TV ads, though they're typically for line extensions (like this one for flavored tuna, in pouches), rather than the old-fashioned tuna in a can.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post
Did anyone mention granny carts yet? Through the 1970s and 1980s, in the neighborhood I grew up in, little old ladies pulling a bag or two of groceries down a sidewalk in two-wheeled wire baskets were a common sight. There were a LOT of older women on my block that didn't drive, too.

Granny carts seemed to be on the decline in the 1990s, but I still saw them a lot in Polish neighborhoods. It was as if it was illegal to pull a granny cart without wearing a babushka kerchief. Today, granny cart sightings are rare. Why? A few guesses -- gender equality behind the wheel; supermarkets are larger and beyond little old lady walking distance; and better paratransit.
IME in London they went on the decline in the 80s, and then resurged in the 2000s. They're fairly common here now, in my neighbourhood, even for young people, and you can get them in trendy designs. I used one less than an hour ago and I wasn't the only one there to have one, but when I first got one about 18 years ago people - always young women about my age - sometimes stopped me to ask where I'd got it because they wanted one.

But it's a very different sort of neighbourhood, with good public transit, not many people owning cars, and I have five supermarkets within an average person's five minute walk of my house. They're probably still unusual in more suburban areas where, like you say, large out of town supermarkets and car ownership is the norm.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
During the summers when I was in college in the 70s, I worked for Kelly Girl temp services. Usually the job was holding down the desk of a secretary on vacation. I worked two weeks in an office where the bar was opened after lunch on Fridays. I drank Crown Royal and Coke and left there drunk off my ass both times. I figured they owed me for calling me "honey" and making me get them coffee.
My gf works in advertising. Fridays after lunch they bring out the bar and everyone helps themselves. Twice over the years I've had to drive down to Pittsburgh to bring my sweetie home. No biggie, except the next morning I have to take her to work, since that's where her car is.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I blame the lack of smiling on the now-omnipresent bombardment of advertising, specifically fashion-related advertising, featuring one glamorous model after another with "resting bitch face". It's convinced a couple generations of women that being unsmiling is part of being attractive.
Oh, good grief.

Women out in public very often have other things on our minds and are not thinking at all about whether you, or any random stranger, finds us attractive.

Men don't go around with fake smiles on their faces all the time. Why should women?
Old 09-06-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I never see neighborhood kids outside playing random games, random contests like 3-on-3 or 4-on-4 football games stretching across two neighbor's lawns, regardless of whether we'd asked permission to use their property or not. No kids biking around the neighborhood. It's all organized now: kids join squads or clubs.
In my experience, or at least in my community, this is strongly class-based. In the middle- and upper-middle-class areas in and around my city, this is absolutely the case--and this has changed even in the lifetimes of my own kids, who are now in their early thirties. If kids are out doing things like that, and that's seldom, there's usually a parent hovering nearby. It's even rare to see a couple of kids walking along the sidewalk without a parent present, at least up through age 11 or so.

But in the poorer sections of town, it's quite common to see kids riding their bikes around, shooting hoops in someone's driveway, jumping rope on the sidewalk, playing various ball games in the street, making their way down the sidewalk. Usually without any indication of adult supervision. It's an interesting dichotomy.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Oh, good grief.

Women out in public very often have other things on our minds and are not thinking at all about whether you, or any random stranger, finds us attractive.

Men don't go around with fake smiles on their faces all the time. Why should women?
Thank you. Nothing riles me up faster than some entitled ass asking me to smile. Maybe my mom just died!
Old 09-07-2019, 11:03 PM

But you might get a free churro!
Old 09-07-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. Models not smiling in high-end fashion ads is not merely "a couple generations" old.
1940s model not smiling

Another 1940s model not smiling

1953 model not smiling

Another 1953 model not smiling

And no, today's women are not going around in public with carefully arranged unsmiling faces in the hopes that random men like you will find them attractive. The vast majority of women going around in public don't care whether you or other randos on the street find them attractive, and don't see why they should have to take your preferences into account in arranging their facial features.

That's not to say you personally can't walk around wearing a smile if you want to, of course, but women in general are not being discourteous or misguided just because they're not constantly smiling in public.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I just remembered that prior to the mid-90s or so, I would always wait until 5 pm or 8 pm to make a non-local phone call. The rates dropped at those times. Do measured plans even still exist? I know GTE stopped offering them when they were bought out by Verizon. I haven't seen anything other than flat-rate by the month with long distance included in over 20 years.

Now I use the phone to call whenever. The only time I check the clock before dialing is if I'm calling someone in another time zone and want to be sure it's not too late.

Last edited by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness; 09-08-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:23 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
I just remembered that prior to the mid-90s or so, I would always wait until 5 pm or 8 pm to make a non-local phone call. The rates dropped at those times. Do measured plans even still exist? I know GTE stopped offering them when they were bought out by Verizon. I haven't seen anything other than flat-rate by the month with long distance included in over 20 years.

Now I use the phone to call whenever. The only time I check the clock before dialing is if I'm calling someone in another time zone and want to be sure it's not too late.
Knowing me, I probably already posted this upthread , but when I was a college freshman ('83/'84), I was dating a girl who lived back in my home town. I'd call her, once a week, at like 6:30am, to take advantage of the lowest long-distance rates.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
The only time I check the clock before dialing
Many of my students don't understand why we say "dial the phone" or "dial tone."
Old 09-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post

You did NOT call my grandmother at 6:59pm Eastern Time, on Sunday, else the rest of the call will be about why you're paying more to make the same phone call you could have made 2 minutes later. And, of course, if you called at 7:05pm, the call would be about how late the call came.

However, it just occurred to me that with all the analog clocks set by the fallible hand of Man, we probably should've played it safe and called at 7:30.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:22 PM

How about those 10-10-xyz long distance numbers? Anyone remember them? I guess they were in the 90s, but they seem to be gone now.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post
Did anyone mention granny carts yet? Through the 1970s and 1980s, in the neighborhood I grew up in, little old ladies pulling a bag or two of groceries down a sidewalk in two-wheeled wire baskets were a common sight. There were a LOT of older women on my block that didn't drive, too.

Granny carts seemed to be on the decline in the 1990s, but I still saw them a lot in Polish neighborhoods. It was as if it was illegal to pull a granny cart without wearing a babushka kerchief. Today, granny cart sightings are rare. Why? A few guesses -- gender equality behind the wheel; supermarkets are larger and beyond little old lady walking distance; and better paratransit.
I see those carts on the bus a lot. Older women, older men, people whose dress and accents suggest they're immigrants...
Old 09-08-2019, 11:47 PM

Speaking of long distance, it was so expensive that we'd often wait to call someone until we were in their town. I have vivid memories of standing at a bank of payphones in the Minneapolis airport, with a stack of quarters (and a notebook full of phone numbers - directory assistance cost good money, too!). Dialing everyone we knew there between flights: "Cousin Beth, how are you...Is that a baby? Whoops, gotta call a list of other people! Frat bro Chuck, how d'ya like the Twin Cities?... Great, gotta run! Aunt Audrey, how are... yes, I called Beth, but how are you? Yes, I heard about Beth's baby, but how... oh, they just called our plane, bye!"

I remember biking Cape Cod back in the 70s, and calling my girlfriend in Seattle. Now, it'd be no big deal, pull out my phone. No romance. Then, it was me at the only payphone I could find, alone on the end of a pier at midnight. Counting my fistful of change to rent three minutes of her voice, by the light of a flickering 30 watt bulb, the only thing visible on that coast.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
I still remember the phone number for time & temperature from where I grew up in Dayton, OH: 937-499-1212.

Out of curiosity I just called it. It is still time & temperature! Albeit there is a pretty long ad you're forced to listen to before the crucial data is revealed.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I still remember the phone number for time & temperature from where I grew up in Dayton, OH: 937-499-1212.

Out of curiosity I just called it. It is still time & temperature! Albeit there is a pretty long ad you're forced to listen to before the crucial data is revealed.
"At the tone, the time will be two minutes after you called..."

Ooh, I'd forgotten; when I was a kid, ours had that beep!
"At the tone, the time will be Eight Forty-Two... beep!"
I always pictured spies synchronizing their watches before the big caper...

By the way, I live near a public park on a lake, with piers full of boats and people fishing. I'm always heartened to see kids (yep, unaccompanied grade schoolers) walking/biking down to the park. With fishing poles, footballs, baseball bats, soccer balls, or frisbees. And sometimes I've noticed those same kids returning home for dinner, now wet and sunburned with a gang of frisbee/fishing friends. ("Hey, mom, can Matt'n'Jake'n'Anna'n'Jake'slittlebrother stay for supper?")

I'm so happy that raising "free range children" still happens.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Bottled water has been mentioned, but what about Snapple? When did bottled Kool-Aid for grownups become so popular?

I wish I had thought up that idea.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

What happened that grocery stores no longer stock cut-up chicken pieces of the WHOLE chicken, not just a package of legs or wings or breasts? I have to buy a whole chicken and cut it apart (something that takes some practice to get right; I'm almost there...) Or is it just my grocery store?

Since I'm talking about chickens, when did chicken breasts grow so huge? They are no longer small enough for a single serving; they're almost the size of a small turkey. To get smaller pieces, I have to buy a "young" chicken, whole, and cut it apart.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Bottled water has been mentioned, but what about Snapple? When did bottled Kool-Aid for grownups become so popular?

Old 09-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:

Snapple has been popular for long enough that it was one of the more frequently "placed" products in early seasons of Seinfeld, ca. 1991-1995.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Snapple has been popular for long enough that it was one of the more frequently "placed" products in early seasons of Seinfeld, ca. 1991-1995.
Agreed, it was really in the early '90s when it gained national prominence. it was originally a New York brand (which might help explain the Seinfeld references), but had achieved national distribution by around 1992, and was purchased by Quaker Oats in '94.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:58 PM

After a long bit of traveling this summer, it occurred to me that, as a young person in the '60s and '70s, one thing that never would have occurred to us was the idea of zipping up a suitcase.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Knowing me, I probably already posted this upthread , but when I was a college freshman ('83/'84), I was dating a girl who lived back in my home town. I'd call her, once a week, at like 6:30am, to take advantage of the lowest long-distance rates.
I thought about that when our son came home from college, where he had a new girl friend. They just face timed every couple of days, and it cost nothing.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:27 PM

Yeah, well, when was the last time you (in the US) dialed a 7-digit phone number?
Old 09-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Yeah, well, when was the last time you (in the US) dialed a 7-digit phone number?
I regularly call numbers in my area code with 7 digits.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
This afternoon.

You can still dial numbers that are in the same area code with seven digits around here; at least, if you're dialing from a landline. (Though I'm not entirely living in the 1970's; "dialing" is figurative, I punched buttons.)
Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 PM

In ye olden days, my family subscribed to TV Guide. I would look through the week's schedule and circle programs of interest. This was before VCRs so I had to watch these shows "live" which was a lot of effort to see something that was often disappointing.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:10 PM

In my area, we can no longer do 7-digit phone numbers, even in the same area code.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSignal View Post
I regularly call numbers in my area code with 7 digits.
As I understand it, in the US, it depends on whether a particular area code was split up geographically when more numbers were needed, or if an overlay was used (i.e., adding a second area code to the same geographic area). If the former, dialing a local number without the area code (i.e., just 7 digits) is likely still possible.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:18 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

(sorry, double post)

Last edited by kenobi 65; 09-09-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:25 PM

Yeah, and my cell phone has a different area code from my home phone. ISTR a scene in Pulp Fiction where Jules was saying that he did not know anyone in <certain area code>, which is to say that in major urban areas, making 7-digit calls is becoming increasingly difficult. But, on the other hand, most of the numbers one calls are stored in the phone or handset, so using 10-digit numbers is hugely less burdensome than it used to be. Storing 10 digits is not more difficult and is generally more reliable than storing 7. And, on cell phones, you can store the lead "1", but it is never necessary anymore.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
This afternoon.

You can still dial numbers that are in the same area code with seven digits around here; at least, if you're dialing from a landline. (Though I'm not entirely living in the 1970's; "dialing" is figurative, I punched buttons.)
Okay.

But for the trillions of folks living in the DFW metroplex, that shit went away in the 90s.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:44 AM

I used to know people's phone numbers. The other day I had to give someone my gf's phone number, but my phone wasn't handy. I had no idea what her number was, even though I text to that number multiple times a day.

I've been watching the old Perry Mason series. They think of phone numbers as "Hollywood 5-3254".
Old 09-10-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I used to know people's phone numbers. The other day I had to give someone my gf's phone number, but my phone wasn't handy. I had no idea what her number was, even though I text to that number multiple times a day.

I've been watching the old Perry Mason series. They think of phone numbers as "Hollywood 5-3254".
Yes! I can still remember my best friend's and my grandma's old landline numbers from when I was a kid, but I don't know anyone's current cell phone numbers.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
For landlines, almost all telephone exchanges (the three number prefixes) started as letters.

I love researching what they were. The landlines in our neighborhood start with 272 or 233. Back in the day, that was "BRoadway 2" (named after a street that was later renamed Main St.), or "CEntral 3". That one's amusing because our old downtown area is no longer central; thanks to the expansion on the western side, we've been called "eastenders" since the 60s.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Here (Chicago) it was 976-1616 for time, and I think 976-1212 for weather. Note that they were 976 numbers, so they triggered an extra charge. Speaking of, I can't remember hearing an ad for a 976 number since probably the 80s or early 90s at the latest.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
And people could give their child a good, well deserved whack in public and not have people call the cops.
Ah, the good old days, when casual child abuse was the norm.

American Psychological Association
Old 09-10-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taesahnim View Post
Agreed. I hit my teens in the 60s...
People were politer and nicer to each other back then, too. I miss that.
As long as you knew your place, that is. If you were a black kid going to a newly integrated school or drinking from the white water fountain, or a woman wearing a crew cut and 'men's' clothing, or an interracial or gay couple trying to have dinner as a couple, somehow you wouldn't have this experience people being politer and nicer to you.

Along those lines, I'm glad that the behavior of treating 'politeness' as something that is only accorded to people who conform to certain narrow social expectations for their demographic has subsided. In most places today, you don't get away with calling black men 'boy' while expecting a 'sir' from them or groping single women as long as you wink at them while you do it. There's a lot of 'people were so nice' that really, really wasn't.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
When I was a kid, EVERYWHERE in a restaurant was a smoking section. I don't remember exactly when non-smoking sections started to become a thing.
I remember that when I was growing up (in North Carolina in the 80s) non-smoking sections started becoming common, but weren't universal until the 90s. Then by the 2000s pretty much everywhere in the larger cities was non-smoking indoors except for bars, it was a very sudden shift. That's one thing that stands out in movies from the early 80s or before, like the Christopher Reeves Superman movies - you'll see ashtrays at every desk, often built-in to them, and that came to a full stop rather rapidly.

Quote:
I used to write several checks a week, now, it's maybe one a month, if at all.
I pretty much only use paper checks for exceptional circumstances now. Contractors tend to prefer checks over credit, and big things like car and house loans use them, but nothing that recurs regularly. Technically my mortgage and utilities use checks, but it's all electronic withdrawals from an account, not paper.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
I remember that when I was growing up (in North Carolina in the 80s) non-smoking sections started becoming common, but weren't universal until the 90s.
Remember when Cracker Barrel made customers walk through the smoking section to get to the non-smoking section? Good >cough< times.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Remember when Cracker Barrel made customers walk through the smoking section to get to the non-smoking section? Good >cough< times.
So many times the nonsmoking section was just a little area with a rope divider and a sign, nothing that actually kept the clouds of smoke from wafting in. I know a lot of people with asthma or smoke allergies who just had to avoid eating out because they couldn't get a genuine 'no cigarette smoke in my face' zone to eat in.

Last edited by Pantastic; 09-10-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
I remember that when I was growing up (in North Carolina in the 80s) non-smoking sections started becoming common, but weren't universal until the 90s. Then by the 2000s pretty much everywhere in the larger cities was non-smoking indoors except for bars, it was a very sudden shift. That's one thing that stands out in movies from the early 80s or before, like the Christopher Reeves Superman movies - you'll see ashtrays at every desk, often built-in to them, and that came to a full stop rather rapidly.
. . .
Things mighta been different in NC (because big tobacco) but the smoking segregation happened long before the 80's in my world (Chi, WI, L.A.) I remember non smoking sections on planes! Planes! One time on a family trip we ended up in the non smoking section on a plane and my mother (a professional smoker) complained and the stewardess picked the "non smoking section" placard off the back of the seat in front of us and moved it to the row behind us and, voila, we were in the smoking section.

mc