Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Reservations.com / Getaroom.com - AVOID

1) I'm a dumbass for not looking VERY carefully when booking a non-refundable room
2) in a town where 70.00 is a bit high for a low-rent motel
3) except on Parents' Weekend

They quoted me 76 bucks. Non-refundable - but I knew rooms were going rather fast, and needed to book something.

I figured the total would be 85ish bucks. Glanced only briefly at the "are you sure" page before paying.

And was gobsmacked afterward clicking, to see my total was 112 dollars - due to a 35.00 "tax recovery fee".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScammersRUs
This charge includes the estimated amount we pay the hotel for occupancy related taxes owed by the hotel and any amounts charged to us for resort fees, cleaning fees, and other fees. The balance of the charge is a fee we, the hotel supplier and/or the website you booked on, retain as part of the compensation for our and/or their services which varies based on factors such as location, the amount, and how you booked.
Trust me, there is NO resort fee involved at this place, and the only services in the process are the sort you refer to when talking about cattle reproduction.

So I repeat #1, I'm a dumbass for not being more careful.

But they are still scammers.

Check 'em out on Trustpilot.com - evidently this is their standard business model. The website you get is reservations.com but the confirmation comes from getaroom.com.

On the plus (?) side, getaroom.com DOES seem to respond, quickly, to the criticisms on trustpilot. We'll see what, if anything, they do; several people said they made it right.

In the meantime I've reported them to the BBB (not that they can do anything) and the attorney general in their state.