Old 09-09-2019, 02:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkrapine View Post
I once sent Trump a letter:

"Dear Mr. President,

The president of the United States does not tweet. It is beneath the dignity of your office."

He never answered, not even by form letter. Of course, it has been obvious since he came down the escalator that he cares nothing for the dignity of the office.

(And yes, I know Obama sent out a few tweets while in office, but there is really no comparison.)
No one ever went wrong underestimating the dignity of Donald Trump.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
He already did. He had a chance at doing something grown up and presidential looking, but had to tweet a “Hey, look at me” moment and turn it into a toddler moment.
Yes, and I know this is a thread to complain about the tweets, but I'm just saying: if the worst he's done on the taliban thing is tweet something idiotic, then this is about as good as it gets. I'll take that over him tweeting something actually dangerous and/or offensive, or doing or saying anything.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
Economist article on the peace talks with the Taliban.

I think they are implying that this should not be filed in one of the vaults of Trump's mistakes.
a) It made sense to organize peace talks, because in fact the Taliban have captured a lot of Afghanistan at this point, and any peace must now involve negotiations with them.
b) Then it made sense to cancel those talks, because the deal being proposed had virtually no concessions from the Taliban, and they were using the dreadful tactic of ramping up attacks to try to strengthen their negotiating hand further.

It's not the end though, so Trump still has a chance to do something stupid.
That assumes that the meeting plan actually existed in the first place and isn't being invented (and confirmed by sycophantic/armtwisted minions) after the fact.
The Camp David (instead of Trump property) venue points toward the latter -- since when does the Crook-in-Chief pass up an opportunity for graft?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
That assumes that the meeting plan actually existed in the first place and isn't being invented (and confirmed by sycophantic/armtwisted minions) after the fact.
The Camp David (instead of Trump property) venue points toward the latter -- since when does the Crook-in-Chief pass up an opportunity for graft?
But in fact The Economist, and other news agencies, were already reporting about peace talks with the taliban being set up before Trump's tweets on the matter. And they are now reporting about what is currently being done to try to reboot the process.
So he's not making the whole thing up. Though yes, it's always possible that he heard grown-ups talking about something and decided to season the facts with his own brand of bullshit and/or didn't understand.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
He probably saw a Taliban peace deal as another shot at a Nobel Peace Prize. I just wonder how he was convinced to cancel.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
He already did. He had a chance at doing something grown up and presidential looking, but had to tweet a “Hey, look at me” moment and turn it into a toddler moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
He probably saw a Taliban peace deal as another shot at a Nobel Peace Prize. I just wonder how he was convinced to cancel.
The article really doesn't have much detail, but yeah:

Trump reportedly wanted to show off his negotiation skills by inviting the Taliban to Camp David

Quote:
* A proposed meeting of President Donald Trump, the Taliban, and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani at Camp David was axed in part over disagreements over the political showmanship, a new report says.

* According to The New York Times, the idea of a meeting on US soil was subject to an argument between Trump and his National Security Council as to whether it should come before or after any concrete progress was made toward peace.

* Trump wanted to go sooner, The Times reported, so the optics of making a deal could be part of the negotiation.

Trump, who dispensed with decades of political norms when he abruptly met North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the Demilitarized Zone on the Korean Peninsula, reportedly wanted to be perceived as the chief negotiator of peace with the extremist group.
Yes, because ending the US's longest war should depend on how it affects Trump's ego.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, and I know this is a thread to complain about the tweets, but I'm just saying: if the worst he's done on the taliban thing is tweet something idiotic, then this is about as good as it gets. I'll take that over him tweeting something actually dangerous and/or offensive, or doing or saying anything.
The bar just keeps getting lower and lower, doesn't it?

Quote:
But in fact The Economist, and other news agencies, were already reporting about peace talks with the taliban being set up before Trump's tweets on the matter. And they are now reporting about what is currently being done to try to reboot the process.
So he's not making the whole thing up. Though yes, it's always possible that he heard grown-ups talking about something and decided to season the facts with his own brand of bullshit and/or didn't understand.
Quote:
Listen to yourselves, people! This is the level of normalcy that this craziness has sunk to! We're (I'll include myself) speculating that the so-called president MADE UP this whole Taliban meeting thing! Maybe yes, maybe no, but we all know he is CAPABLE of making up such a thing because most every word out of his mouth (or thumbs) is a LIE.

Anyway, I say he made it up, because otherwise it would have been set to be held at one of his properties.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:12 AM

Twitler is on a roll this morning. GOD DAMNIT I'M THE BEST FUCKING PRESIDENT EVERRRRRR IF YOU WOULD JUST OPEN YOUR EYES!!!! ADORE ME PLEASE!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:33 AM

I have long thought Twitter would be the downfall of society. This thread says why.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I have long thought Twitter would be the downfall of society. This thread says why.
Facebook has done its part, too!
Old 09-09-2019, 12:09 PM

As I recall, one of Trump's campaign talking points was the world was laughing at the US under Obama. I seem to remember the UN General Assembly literally laughing at Trump when he claimed his admin has accomplished more than any other president's in history in a speech there.

You must be pretty lame to get dissed by the Taliban:

TALIBAN MOCK TRUMP'S 'ASTONISHING' AFGHANISTAN U-TURN, SUGGEST DECISION 'CERTAINLY DAMAGED HIS CREDIBILITY'

Quote:
The Taliban have hit back at President Donald Trump's dramatic cancellation of an imminent Afghanistan peace agreement, suggesting his erratic diplomacy is damaging his credibility.

According to BBC correspondent Lyse Doucet, a Taliban spokesperson said Sunday that the president's weekend tweets had come as a surprise to the group. Trump announced on Twitter on Saturday that he was shelving the peace deal following the killing of a U.S. soldier in Kabul last week.

Doucet cited Taliban spokesperson Suhail Shaheen, who reportedly said on Sunday that an agreement was reached between U.S. and Taliban negotiators in Qatar several days ago. He described Trump's Twitter tirade as "astonishing" and suggested the messages had "certainly damaged his credibility."
Wow. The Taliban is shading Trump. Still, why would anyone but a MAGAss think Trump has any credibility?
Old 09-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Twitler is on a roll this morning. GOD DAMNIT I'M THE BEST FUCKING PRESIDENT EVERRRRRR IF YOU WOULD JUST OPEN YOUR EYES!!!! ADORE ME PLEASE!!!!!!
Since when does Trump ever say, "Please"?
Old 09-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Not really Twitter related, at least not yet; maybe after Trump hears about it tho: Sweden rejects TRUMP vanity license plate request:
Quote:
Swedish authorities say that a man has been denied a vanity plate with the letters TRUMP because it violated motor vehicle department rules, calling the letter combination “offensive.”
Old 09-09-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
As I recall, one of Trump's campaign talking points was the world was laughing at the US under Obama. I seem to remember the UN General Assembly literally laughing at Trump when he claimed his admin has accomplished more than any other president's in history in a speech there.

You must be pretty lame to get dissed by the Taliban:

TALIBAN MOCK TRUMP'S 'ASTONISHING' AFGHANISTAN U-TURN, SUGGEST DECISION 'CERTAINLY DAMAGED HIS CREDIBILITY'

Wow. The Taliban is shading Trump. Still, why would anyone but a MAGAss think Trump has any credibility?
It's a sad day in Mudville when the Taliban is a more credible source than the White House.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The bar just keeps getting lower and lower, doesn't it?

Listen to yourselves, people! This is the level of normalcy that this craziness has sunk to! We're (I'll include myself) speculating that the so-called president MADE UP this whole Taliban meeting thing! Maybe yes, maybe no, but we all know he is CAPABLE of making up such a thing because most every word out of his mouth (or thumbs) is a LIE.

Anyway, I say he made it up, because otherwise it would have been set to be held at one of his properties.

Not to mention there's no way he woudl've kept such a thing secret in the first place.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
The Taliban are full of it. Tump's credibility is so low that nothing can damage it any more.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm just happy he's trying to pump up his reputation by becoming a Nobel prize winner. God help us all if he decides to do it by waging a war.

It's just embarrassing when Trump tries to outdo Obama. It would get dangerous if he tried to outdo Bush.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 09-09-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The Taliban are full of it. Tump's credibility is so low that nothing can damage it any more.
Trump: hold my Coke...

Trumpists: ooooh behold! The Dear Leader has given unto me his Sacred Coke to hold!

Last edited by Nava; 09-09-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:08 AM

Re: the First Step Act
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
When all of the people pushing so hard for Criminal Justice Reform were unable to come even close to getting it done, they came to me as a group and asked for my help. I got it done with a group of Senators & others who would never have gone for it. Obama couldn’t come close….
Quote:
....A man named @VanJones68, and many others, were profusely grateful (at that time!). I SIGNED IT INTO LAW, no one else did, & Republicans deserve much credit. But now that it is passed, people that had virtually nothing to do with it are taking the praise. Guys like boring…..
Quote:
....musician @johnlegend, and his filthy mouthed wife, are talking now about how great it is - but I didn’t see them around when we needed help getting it passed.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...97585336475648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy Teigen
lol what a pussy ass bitch. tagged everyone but me. an honor, mister president.
https://twitter.com/chrissyteigen/st...14148919590914

Yes; this lady just called the Donald J. Motherfucking Trump, President of the United States, a "pussy as bitch"! I know she's married, but ddamn, I love her!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-10-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:23 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Wait. Donald "Grab them by the Pussy" Trump is whining about foul language? What a pussy ass bitch!
Old 09-10-2019, 08:39 AM

And she wasn't even there! Why he chose to call her names...God only knows.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:52 AM

Facebook meme notes: there is at least one obvious commonality in the four people (John Legend, Chrissy Teigen, Van Jones and Lester Holt) that Trump unloaded on that evening beside their celebrity status and general dislike of him.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:53 AM

Is it that they all have names with vowels in them?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 AM

That none of them are what Americans call "white", was my guess and a bit of research confirms it. But given the extremely narrow definition Americans use and the current composition of the US, that's getting to the point where that is not so much a matter of "these guys are all minorities" as of "these guys are all part of the numeric majority".
Old 09-10-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Facebook meme notes: there is at least one obvious commonality in the four people (John Legend, Chrissy Teigen, Van Jones and Lester Holt) that Trump unloaded on that evening beside their celebrity status and general dislike of him.
Trump would probably describe them all as “uppity”, if the cameras weren’t rolling.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post

Yes; this lady just called the Donald J. Motherfucking Trump, President of the United States, a "pussy as bitch"! I know she's married, but ddamn, I love her!
That is spectacular!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 AM

Whoops, there goes John Bolton.

Terrifying to think who's coming next. This is what, the fourth? Fifth?

Someone give me a fifth.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I thought the Taliban eschewed technology to keep their secret bases from being found, or is that another terrorist group?

It's kind of odd that "terrorist" doesn't carry the same weight it did under the last two presidents. It used to be the number 1 danger to the US, but now it's been trumped.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Whoops, there goes John Bolton.

Terrifying to think who's coming next. This is what, the fourth? Fifth?

Someone give me a fifth.
For the first time, someone is leaving who cannot be replace with someone worse.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
For the first time, someone is leaving who cannot be replace with someone worse.
Trump has a talent for finding worse.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
That's what we might think.

I hear Matthew Whitaker may be open to an offer.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why not Johnny Whitaker?
Old 09-10-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblibdem View Post
for the first time, someone is leaving who cannot be replace with someone worse.
Don't say that!!!! Don't ever say that!!!!!

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 09-10-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:49 AM

deleted
<posted picture of stephen miller, then realized it would give everyone nightmares>

Last edited by Mijin; 09-10-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
That's what we might think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Why not Johnny Whitaker?
Why not Johnny Walker?
Old 09-10-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Why not Johnny Walker?
There's that fifth I was looking for.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Why not Johnny Whitaker?
Roger Whittaker?
Old 09-10-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Why not Johnny Whitaker?
Why, because the administration is a Family Affair?
Old 09-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Hold my beer.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why, because the administration is a Family Affair?
Old 09-10-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
Hold my beer.
That should be:

Hold my non-alcoholic beer.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
He could always try to replace him with Stephen Miller ...
Old 09-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Sheriff Joe's looking for a gig.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

That orange bronzer is seeping through his blood-brain barrier again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpelthinskin
How do you impeach a President who has helped create perhaps the greatest economy in the history of our Country? All time best unemployment numbers, especially for Blacks, Hispanics, Asians & Women. More people working today than ever before. Rebuilt Military & Choice for Vets...

....Became Number 1 in World & Independent in Energy. Will soon have record number of Judges, 2 SC Justices. Done more than any President in first 2 1/2 years despite phony & fraudulent Witch Hunt illegally led against him. WIN on Mueller Report, Mueller Testimony & James Comey..

....IG Report, which showed him to be a Disgraced & Dirty Cop. Republicans have unified like never before. You don’t impeach Presidents for doing a good (great!) job. No Obstruction, No Collusion, only treasonous crimes committed by the other side, and led by the Democrats. Sad!
Old 09-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I propose that there may be a few howlers, in there.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Trump Randomly Tweets 'Stable Genius' Boast And No One Seems To Knows Why

Quote:
Many tweeters were left scratching their heads on Saturday morning after the president posted a phrase he’s previously used to praise himself with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGA Messiah
“A Very Stable Genius!” Thank you.
Trump called himself a “very stable genius” in January 2018 in a series of tweets in which he also claimed his “two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.” Then, in May of this year, he upped the ante by calling himself “an extremely stable genius” at a White House event.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:18 PM

Consecutive Trump tweets:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald J. Trump
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald J. Trump
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!
Old 09-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Listen: Donny Trump has come unstuck in time.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The America-hating fuckstick
Hold my beer Diet Coke

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 09-14-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: I don't care if I was double or triple ninja'd. It stays
Old 09-14-2019, 08:06 PM

Vicente Fox: "...which is not working."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kF6jT_Sja4

Last edited by bobot; 09-14-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: link