Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-10-2019, 03:37 PM
chela is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: michigan wnw
Posts: 1,903

Fuck this weeks Airbnb shitheads


Have some respect assholes, fuck your karaoke, fuck your loud ass conversations, fuck your corn hole drama, fuck your bloated stink dogs wandering at will, fuck your boat stereo at 3 AM, fuck your bitches hi pitched giggles, fuck your 6 trucks parked in the street. Fuck the owners who fucked us over!

Last edited by chela; 09-10-2019 at 03:39 PM.
  #2  
Old 09-10-2019, 04:03 PM
Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,411
We are referring to the game with the bean bags, I hope?
  #3  
Old 09-10-2019, 05:21 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
We are referring to the game with the bean bags, I hope?

With beanbags? Now, that's kinky. And it's got to hurt, no doubt.
  #4  
Old 09-10-2019, 05:40 PM
74westy's Avatar
74westy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
With beanbags? Now, that's kinky. And it's got to hurt, no doubt.
You're not doing it right.
  #5  
Old 09-10-2019, 06:24 PM
jz78817 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 12,345
the entire concept of Airbnb is squicky and creeps me the fuck out. Who in their right mind would want to rent their home out to randos? and who in the hell is comfortable invading someone else's home?
  #6  
Old 09-10-2019, 06:31 PM
enipla is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,676
I work for a county that has 4 world class ski resorts. We have a shit ton of short term rentals. We have actually hired a nation wide company that helps handle this shit. People that have STR's have to register and pay an additional tax, they have to be in compliance with occupancy and parking codes as well. Trash also seems to be a big problem when you cram too many people in a place for a vacation weekend. We just started doing this. The GIS department I work for feeds them data as far as address locations and such.

On the other hand, if the renters don't get what they expect, they have somebody to call to lodge a complaint, and get service. The owners of these units usually live hundreds if not thousands of miles away.

I think a lot of communities are having problems with this. We'll see how it goes.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #7  
Old 09-10-2019, 07:08 PM
F. U. Shakespeare is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore or less
Posts: 4,228
It's the free market, you communists!
  #8  
Old 09-10-2019, 07:32 PM
Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
With beanbags? Now, that's kinky. And it's got to hurt, no doubt.
Just to be clear, I was referring to this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
fuck your corn hole drama,
Not suggesting that Airbnb = "AirBeanBags."
  #9  
Old 09-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Balthisar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 11,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
the entire concept of Airbnb is squicky and creeps me the fuck out. Who in their right mind would want to rent their home out to randos? and who in the hell is comfortable invading someone else's home?
So many people aren't renting out their homes, though; they're renting out investment properties. Kind of like normal landlords.
  #10  
Old 09-10-2019, 07:40 PM
pool is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
the entire concept of Airbnb is squicky and creeps me the fuck out. Who in their right mind would want to rent their home out to randos? and who in the hell is comfortable invading someone else's home?
It's been a godsend for people like me that work on the road but don't get per diem for my job. I work in 3-4 different cities that I don't live in and Airbnb is the only way to make it economically feasible for me to do so. I can rent a room for 5 days for the same or cheaper than two nights in a motel. There was a learning curve and I had some bad experiences now but now I mostly stay at the same houses every time I go to those cities.

I've also developed several friendships and even hung out with some of the people who also frequently stay at the same place or the owner themselves, it's actually been a fun experience for me.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"

Last edited by pool; 09-10-2019 at 07:43 PM.
  #11  
Old 09-10-2019, 07:44 PM
monstro is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 20,742
LOL @ stink dogs
  #12  
Old 09-11-2019, 06:00 AM
pullin is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: N Texas
Posts: 3,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
It's been a godsend for people like me that work on the road but don't get per diem for my job. I work in 3-4 different cities that I don't live in and Airbnb is the only way to make it economically feasible for me to do so. I can rent a room for 5 days for the same or cheaper than two nights in a motel. There was a learning curve and I had some bad experiences now but now I mostly stay at the same houses every time I go to those cities.

I've also developed several friendships and even hung out with some of the people who also frequently stay at the same place or the owner themselves, it's actually been a fun experience for me.
Thanks for that info. I didn't know there was a large price difference. Like jz78817 above, the concept has been mostly incomprehensible to me. I had viewed it as "renting out a spare room to strangers" and was puzzled why either homeowners or renters would want this. I guess like most news, we only hear about the bad experiences.
  #13  
Old 09-11-2019, 07:34 AM
Eva Luna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Chicago-ish, IL
Posts: 10,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Thanks for that info. I didn't know there was a large price difference. Like jz78817 above, the concept has been mostly incomprehensible to me. I had viewed it as "renting out a spare room to strangers" and was puzzled why either homeowners or renters would want this. I guess like most news, we only hear about the bad experiences.
It's also very handy if you want to stay in a place with actual kitchen facilities rather than having to eat out for every single meal.
  #14  
Old 09-11-2019, 07:38 AM
commasense's Avatar
commasense is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 6,427
I'm in an Airbnb as I write this. I use them a lot for business travel. I find I can usually get a nice place with a kitchen for much less (sometimes half) what the official conference hotel costs. The ability to make some of my own meals helps me save even more. The only downside is that I'm usually a few blocks away from the conference site.

But I never stay in shared spaces, only apartments, condos, or houses that I have all to myself. I wouldn't be comfortable renting a room in someone's house with them there. I want more privacy than that, and I don't want to have to deal with the personal interactions. It's the reason I don't like traditional B'n'Bs, either. I don't want to have to have breakfast at a certain time, and make small talk with the owners and other guests. I prefer hotel-like anonymity and impersonality.

But if you don't mind that kind of thing, more power to you. My sister on Cape Cod rents out a spare bedroom and she and her guests seem to be fine with it. And she's making lots of extra money.

I haven't had any bad experiences as an Airbnb guest. On the contrary, my worst travel experiences have been at cheap hotels with rooms that stink of cigarette smoke, or thin walls and other guests making noise late at night. It's why I always travel with ear plugs.

The OP seems to be complaining about a neighbor who's an Airbnb host with shitty guests. Clearly that can be a problem if the host can't or won't rein in obnoxious guests. The victimized neighbors' only recourse seems to be turning to local authorities if a direct appeal to the host doesn't work. One of the unintended consequences of Airbnb.

Last edited by commasense; 09-11-2019 at 07:42 AM.
  #15  
Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 AM
Dinsdale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,748
You've gotta separate the various issues. One involves whether people want to rent out or stay in such places. But the OP is talking about the interests of neighbors, who bought into a residential neighborhood, but encounter undesirable activity by short-term renters. From what I read, this is especially an issue in many condo associations, but I've also read about residential neighborhoods where houses got a reputation as party rentals. I generally am a pretty strong property-rights advocate, but in this instance, I would tend to favor condo associate/zoning restrictions on short-term rentals.
__________________
I used to be disgusted.
Now I try to be amused.
  #16  
Old 09-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,506
The only thing I think you have to really worry about if you use Airbnb in China is rushing down to the local cop shop to do the "temporary accommodation registration". If you're lucky, there's not a bumrush at the station and you'll be in and out in just a few minutes. Otherwise, you're spending a good chunk of your day that you'd rather spend touristing or what have you. If you don't get that registration, you can be denied entry on your next visit to China; one such case was in the news a couple of years ago and two foreigners were denied entry because they did not register on their last stay. Other than that, I've heard nothing bad here about the service here.
  #17  
Old 09-11-2019, 08:41 AM
Jasmine's Avatar
Jasmine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
Have some respect assholes, fuck your karaoke, fuck your loud ass conversations, fuck your corn hole drama, fuck your bloated stink dogs wandering at will, fuck your boat stereo at 3 AM, fuck your bitches hi pitched giggles, fuck your 6 trucks parked in the street. Fuck the owners who fucked us over!
Would you care to fill in the details in a more coherent manner? LOL
__________________
"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge."
--Daniel J Boorstin
  #18  
Old 09-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 44,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Thanks for that info. I didn't know there was a large price difference. Like jz78817 above, the concept has been mostly incomprehensible to me. I had viewed it as "renting out a spare room to strangers" and was puzzled why either homeowners or renters would want this. I guess like most news, we only hear about the bad experiences.
I use Airbnb (or similar services) two or three times a year. It's great. I don't rent out a single room in a house people are living in, I'm renting out really, really nice houses for long weekends and vacations. The places I've stayed at are strictly rental properties. Nobody lives there regularly. Usually it's me and about half a dozen friends who are doing a weekend getaway kind of thing, so the out-of-pocket price is pretty reasonable, even for a really big place near the water, or up in the woods, or other really desirable locations.

Last edited by Miller; 09-11-2019 at 12:12 PM.
  #19  
Old 09-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Spiderman's Avatar
Spiderman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: somewhere East of there
Posts: 11,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Would you care to fill in the details in a more coherent manner?
Current news story, though not sure if it's what the OP is referring to.
  #20  
Old 09-11-2019, 01:21 PM
teela brown is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Almost Silicon Valley
Posts: 9,595
I stay at short-term rentals, too, through VRBO. I like them so much that I'll never stay at a noisy, uncomfortable hotel again.

I notice that the paperwork that we sign each time we rent includes a lot of provisions and warnings against partying and noise. Curfew hours are usually listed, as well as limits on how many people can stay. Often, even though it's a stand-alone home with the owner not living on premises, the owner will be there at first to check you out as you arrive and make sure you're not bringing along way more people than you've listed on the paperwork.

Since we're a older couple with no kids/guests/pets, and don't smoke, the owners are usually very happy with us. We try to book the same places over again since we're familiar with the place and the people.
  #21  
Old 09-11-2019, 04:28 PM
chela is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: michigan wnw
Posts: 1,903
Local yocals, might be a college reunion, or a corporate retreat, I don't give a fuck just go home already!

I'm anAirbnb renter, love the concept we leave the place as clean as we found out,try to stay as quiet as church mice, but these are poppig up all over our small inland lake. Especially the rundown cottages that are flipped with cheap upgrades that sit on the market and never sell because they're fucking overpriced. But some fucking Realtor goes on a bender and squeals how it would make a great Airbnb and some cash infused motherfucker buys it and puts it on AIrbnb and VRBO.
  #22  
Old 09-11-2019, 06:16 PM
don't mind me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 1,361
I'm in a neighborhood adjacent to downtown that's historically working-class Hispanic. It's rapidly gentrifying, driving out the original residents. Now the whole-house STRs are making rising prices and taxes even worse.

We had a huge problem with noisy and downright obnoxious STR renters, but the city now has that under control. My bedroom is just across the alley from one, and I never hear it. Parking is a big concern, especially since trash day is Friday. (Also, about half the block has two homes on one lot, so there are a lot of cans. Add in recycling and composting, and the short end of the block is standing room only.)

That said, I have no problem with people renting out rooms or backyard cabins. In fact, I stayed in one of the latter last weekend and it was lovely, especially having tea and granola on the porch of a morning. I think of them as the new home hostel. I trust the AirBnB ratings and superhost designation. As I understand it, most will give you as much privacy or company as you want.
  #23  
Old 09-11-2019, 06:17 PM
don't mind me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 1,361
I meant to add, the hosts on AirBnB also rate guests, so both parties have an idea who they're getting.
  #24  
Old 09-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Balthisar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 11,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
The only thing I think you have to really worry about if you use Airbnb in China is rushing down to the local cop shop to do the "temporary accommodation registration". If you're lucky, there's not a bumrush at the station and you'll be in and out in just a few minutes. Otherwise, you're spending a good chunk of your day that you'd rather spend touristing or what have you. If you don't get that registration, you can be denied entry on your next visit to China; one such case was in the news a couple of years ago and two foreigners were denied entry because they did not register on their last stay. Other than that, I've heard nothing bad here about the service here.
That might apply to tourists, and legally it applies to residents, but honestly, I never bothered. Mostly because I didn't stay long enough that the local police would ever bother me. Strictly speaking, I was supposed to re-register every time I returned to my home in Nanjing, even after a week in Chongqing, but realistically, I only did it annually when I had to renew my visa.

(I spent a week on a Yangtze cruise; now I wonder if the cruise company registered me as a hotel would?)
  #25  
Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle's Avatar
Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 4,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Thanks for that info. I didn't know there was a large price difference. Like jz78817 above, the concept has been mostly incomprehensible to me. I had viewed it as "renting out a spare room to strangers" and was puzzled why either homeowners or renters would want this. I guess like most news, we only hear about the bad experiences.
I used Airbnb in the spring to visit the Okefenokee Swamp. And it was exactly ďrenting out a spare bedroom in someoneís houseĒ. Furthermore, the house was out in a rural area, on a dirt road, and owned by a woman who was in the house when I was staying there. I couldnít help thinking that if I were a single woman, Iíd feel mighty uncomfortable letting a strange man stay in my home. And she must have felt the same, because I never laid eyes on her the whole trip - she stayed in another bedroom. Never talked to her, either - we communicated strictly via text. The whole thing was rather odd.

Still, the bedroom and bathroom were comfortable, and the price economical. I gave her a good review.
__________________
ďIt may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.Ē
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
  #26  
Old 09-12-2019, 01:28 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
That might apply to tourists, and legally it applies to residents, but honestly, I never bothered. Mostly because I didn't stay long enough that the local police would ever bother me. Strictly speaking, I was supposed to re-register every time I returned to my home in Nanjing, even after a week in Chongqing, but realistically, I only did it annually when I had to renew my visa.

(I spent a week on a Yangtze cruise; now I wonder if the cruise company registered me as a hotel would?)

AIUI if you're staying somewhere in the country other than at your residence, such as at a hotel, you're required to register with the cops, which the hotel takes care of for you. You do not need to re-register when you return home. If you depart the country, you have to re-register within 24 hours of arrival, unless the local police station's household registration section is not open for some reason (not all of them are open every day of the year). If you're coming into the country as a foreign traveler, you definitely need to register at every place you go. While traveling within the country, in your case, no doubt the cruise company took care of that for you.

But you know how things like that go in many places, including China. One time when I returned to China, I went to my local police station to register. The very nice crew there asked me why I was there when I handed them all my paperwork. I pointed to the sign (which was in Chinese and English) on the wall announcing the registration requirements for us foreigners. The supervisor laughed and took care of the registration. It now takes approximately five minutes if nobody's in front of me in line. Oh, and once they ticked the wrong box on their computer system for when I registered once, resulting in me having to take a taxi from my school to re-register and a taxi back to school to turn the new registration form in with my passport to renew my employment visa.

Does the government really care about someone being sure to follow all the particulars of, let's face it, an obscure regulation that really doesn't serve much purpose? They probably don't care very much, but maybe they think it sure is nice to have something to kick someone away when they tick the government off.

Back to the Airbnb bit: I'm still wondering how the owners are treated by the governments around the world. The things I wonder about are the zoning laws, the licensing laws, and the tax laws. I also wonder about the terms of the lease the person providing the place has with the actual lessor. It seems to me like a few things may have been skipped in getting this business up and running, but I really don't know.
  #27  
Old 09-12-2019, 02:02 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
I'm in an Airbnb as I write this. I use them a lot for business travel. I find I can usually get a nice place with a kitchen for much less (sometimes half) what the official conference hotel costs. The ability to make some of my own meals helps me save even more. The only downside is that I'm usually a few blocks away from the conference site.
Thanks for mentioning this. I have a conference next month and the hotel is quite pricey. Iíll check Airbnb.

Iíve used Airbnb only a couple of times. Vacationing in Alaska last winter I needed rooms for the six adults in our group. With Airbnb we could all stay in the same space and still have separate bedrooms. It worked out really well.

So far I havenít had a bad experience, while traveling. Iíve never hosted with my house, nor will I ever. A few years back the Super Bowl was less than 10 miles from my house and many locals were saying they open their homes to be an Airbnb host. The potential to make a lot of money was there, but I didnít do it. No way.
  #28  
Old 09-12-2019, 02:35 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,910
Just returned after checking Airbnb. My conference is in Toronto and the conference hotel is 2x-3x the Airbnb price! And the available Airbnbs really look excellent.

Put another way, for someone to put up their place to host for $60-$95 a night, for me that’s a good deal but for the owner they’re not really making much money.

Thanks again commasense.
  #29  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:32 AM
SciFiSam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beffnal Green innit
Posts: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I use Airbnb (or similar services) two or three times a year. It's great. I don't rent out a single room in a house people are living in, I'm renting out really, really nice houses for long weekends and vacations. The places I've stayed at are strictly rental properties. Nobody lives there regularly. Usually it's me and about half a dozen friends who are doing a weekend getaway kind of thing, so the out-of-pocket price is pretty reasonable, even for a really big place near the water, or up in the woods, or other really desirable locations.
That's sort of a problem, though. The owners are treating their homes like a hotel but not complying with the regulations hotels have to (which is one of the reasons hotels costs more). They turn a residential area into a non-residential one, essentially, and don't have the same types of health and safety protections (fire drills, insurance, etc) that hotels and traditional holiday lets do. But they are cheap and often better than hotels, so obviously people are going to use them.

The law is some places is trying to catch up, I think, which is what needs to happen rather than people fighting the inevitability that people are going to do this (some cities try to ban it - Amsterdam, for example). But those legal changes will probably eventually increase the costs of Air B'n'B.

There are tons where I live and TBH there's only one that's sometimes a problem in terms of noise and it's not too frequent. It is a little odd that one of my neighbours is essentially a hotel, and I'm really glad that most of the houses on my road are social housing so most of us aren't allowed to rent out any spare room as Air B'n'B. Otherwise it could be a very different situation. It's a really nice road with flats that have gardens in a supposedly rough and central area of London, and very close to the tube, so it's the kind of place people like to stay - if it were all private homes I suspect we'd be overrun with Air B'nB properties TBH and then we'd have problems.
  #30  
Old 09-12-2019, 10:22 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,910
Yes, problems... like the OP had. That sounded like true shitheads staying nearby and a fucked up situation.
  #31  
Old 09-12-2019, 10:30 AM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 12,660
Well, at least they'll go away after a few days. Somebody has to live next door to them every day.
  #32  
Old 09-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 22,454
OP reads like Tool lyrics.
  #33  
Old 09-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Well, at least they'll go away after a few days. Somebody has to live next door to them every day.
NIMBY, yeah!
  #34  
Old 09-12-2019, 12:22 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,060
Ummmm...

VRBO?
  #35  
Old 09-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
OP reads like Tool lyrics.
Totally. Hooker with a Penis, or Aenima. Now I canít read it without hearing Maynard screaming it in my head. Thanks for that.

My wife and parents-in-law like to head down to Oregon once a year. I usually bow out because to me itís a many-hours-long drive to a place that looks just like here, but Iíve gone a few times. They used to get a hotel and then drive to the beach. Then they found a house on Airbnb, it has 3 bedrooms, beautiful wood floors, a big backyard with a fire pit, and is right at the beach. Itís a lot cheaper than a hotel. They go there every year and always have a good experience, and the hosts know that they are good guests so like having them as repeat customers. Itís a win/win.
  #36  
Old 09-12-2019, 02:08 PM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Ummmm...

VRBO?
It's the same thing, right?
  #37  
Old 09-12-2019, 08:21 PM
chela is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: michigan wnw
Posts: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Ummmm...

VRBO?
VIRTUAL REALTORS BONE OGRES

what the fuck you think it meant?
  #38  
Old 09-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,194
We've been house-hunting and just crossed one place off our list after finding out it had a reputation as an "Airbnb party house" ( a viewing was canceled due to yet another rental).

We could've made a low-ball offer, but then I'd be wondering who might've shat in the pool* or barfed down the heating vent.

*pools are a negative anyway.
  #39  
Old 09-13-2019, 03:12 PM
teela brown is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Almost Silicon Valley
Posts: 9,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Ummmm...

VRBO?
Sorry about that. I don't like it when other folks post acronyms without explanation, and I went and did it myself!

It stands for Vacation Rentals By Owners, and it's very similar to AirBnB. In fact, there's quite a bit of overlap between the two sites. You can often find the same rental in both places. I think VRBO leans more toward stand-alone homes in vacation-y areas, and AirBnB tends more towards apartments or rooms in business-y areas, but as I say, there's quite a bit of overlap.
  #40  
Old 09-16-2019, 02:07 PM
commasense's Avatar
commasense is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 6,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Just returned after checking Airbnb. My conference is in Toronto and the conference hotel is 2x-3x the Airbnb price! And the available Airbnbs really look excellent.

Put another way, for someone to put up their place to host for $60-$95 a night, for me thatís a good deal but for the owner theyíre not really making much money.

Thanks again commasense.
My pleasure. The last time one of my conferences was in Toronto, I found a great Airbnb condo apartment in a high-rise building just two blocks from the conference hotel. It was no more than half the conference hotel rate, and had a great Whole Foods-like store on the ground floor where I could buy great pre-made meals and grocery items. Extremely convenient and pleasant. And I had a great view, too!
  #41  
Old 09-16-2019, 08:03 PM
slumtrimpet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canukistan
Posts: 649
We live in a vacationy area and there's a shortage of accommodations for tourists. Half of our house has been an Airbnb for two years now. It's been great. The guests are almost without fail excellent; clean, quiet, polite etc. We don't have to interact unless we want to since their part of the house is self contained with two bedrooms, kitchen, living room and all. And when we have family visit we block the dates for Airbnb and everyone has loads of room to not get on each other's nerves.

What I particularly like about it is that Airbnb takes care of the financial stuff. I don't have to talk to people about money.
And we've used them when we go on vacation as well. Way cheaper than a hotel, we can stay together as a group and cook our own meals if that's what we want.

Last, but not least; I had to stay in another city for most of a week while my husband had surgery. A cheap hotel room would have cost me about $150/night even with the hospital discount, and I would have had to buy meals. The Airbnb apartment that I rented was $85/night, there was room on a sofa for my step-son, and we could eat in at the end of the long days.

I can see where they're a problem in cities where people are buying property purely to Airbnb them. Sucks for the neighbors. But if you own a cottage or a vacation property I think Airbnb (or VRBO) is a great way to pay the bills. As long as you respect your neigbors.
  #42  
Old 09-18-2019, 01:54 PM
Dale Sams is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
the entire concept of Airbnb is squicky and creeps me the fuck out. Who in their right mind would want to rent their home out to randos? and who in the hell is comfortable invading someone else's home?
Only time i did it was me and my gf rented a nice small room in a brownstone not far from Fenway. We kept it tidy, they had a nice place. It was a good experience.
  #43  
Old 09-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Bullitt's Avatar
Bullitt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Giants Nation
Posts: 25,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
My pleasure. The last time one of my conferences was in Toronto, I found a great Airbnb condo apartment in a high-rise building just two blocks from the conference hotel. It was no more than half the conference hotel rate, and had a great Whole Foods-like store on the ground floor where I could buy great pre-made meals and grocery items. Extremely convenient and pleasant. And I had a great view, too!
The AirBNB that I booked in Toronto for next monthís conference cost almost down to one third the hotel conference price. It was far below half the price. It is a condo that my wife and I will have all to ourselves. It has free parking on site ó after I give my presentation Iíll rent a car and take her on a drive out to Gananoque where weíll do a boat tour of the Thousand Islands. Iíve been out there before but she hasnít. Weíll also drive out to the beautiful farm country where they filmed the movie, Fly Away Home. Gorgeous country, out there.

Iíve learned a lot from this thread from peoplesí tips on how they AirBNB. Thank you all for the good tips. My wife will be working from the condo while Iím at the conference. And from what I can tell it is very safe and is a clean, well-lighted place. Which is what I needed for her, and for us.
  #44  
Old 09-21-2019, 10:25 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't mind me View Post
I'm in a neighborhood adjacent to downtown that's historically working-class Hispanic. It's rapidly gentrifying, driving out the original residents. Now the whole-house STRs are making rising prices and taxes even worse.
...

That said, I have no problem with people renting out rooms or backyard cabins. In fact, I stayed in one of the latter last weekend and it was lovely, especially having tea and granola on the porch of a morning. I think of them as the new home hostel. I trust the AirBnB ratings and superhost designation. As I understand it, most will give you as much privacy or company as you want.
As a customer, I've used AirBNB a few times. I like the basic idea.

But as an unregulated business model, it's wreaking havoc in my city. At last count, 3.5% OF ALL HOUSING in our city has been dedicated to short-term rentals by landlords who realize what a quick buck they can make. The pressure it places on the remaining housing market is driving prices through the roof, making it impossible for working-class locals to remain in the community.

Quote:
Amid concerns that STRs are contributing to housing shortages and rising home prices, Asheville City Council attempted to rein in the practice last year by voting to implement the cityís strictest regulations to date. But despite the law ó and a $500-per-day fine for violators ó hundreds of illegal rentals still operate throughout the city.
The article gives me hope, as it mentions a company that helps crack down on illegal AirBNBs run by housing speculators. I know that up till now, the city has been incredibly lax on enforcement of the laws.

Again, if it's well-regulated, it's a fine model for vacation rentals. But when it's unregulated, it falls prey to the same excesses capitalism always falls prey to.
  #45  
Old 09-21-2019, 01:08 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,849
I've had good experiences on Air B&B, but it needs to be regulated for sure. I can see why some communities don't like it, particularly if you have a-holes like the one referred to in the OP who ruin it for the other owners who are responsible.
  #46  
Old 09-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Balthisar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 11,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
But as an unregulated business model, it's wreaking havoc in my city. At last count, 3.5% OF ALL HOUSING in our city has been dedicated to short-term rentals by landlords who realize what a quick buck they can make. The pressure it places on the remaining housing market is driving prices through the roof, making it impossible for working-class locals to remain in the community.
Strictly speaking, the property is being put to the best economic use. Working class locals should look to purchase someplace more affordable. I feel bad for them, but I don't feel guilty for them. I feel bad for keyliners, but not guilty for them, either.
  #47  
Old 09-21-2019, 04:03 PM
Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Strictly speaking, the property is being put to the best economic use. Working class locals should look to purchase someplace more affordable. I feel bad for them, but I don't feel guilty for them. I feel bad for keyliners, but not guilty for them, either.
Define 'best'. The owner is extracting short-term profits, but potentially at the expense of the long-term value of the home.

In addition, the value of adjoining properties may decline, and it sounds like the city in general may be suffering short, medium and long term damage.

It's similar to CEOs who manage their corporations to maximize the next quarter at the expense of the long-term health of the company.
  #48  
Old 09-21-2019, 04:35 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Strictly speaking, the property is being put to the best economic use. Working class locals should look to purchase someplace more affordable. I feel bad for them, but I don't feel guilty for them. I feel bad for keyliners, but not guilty for them, either.
It's like Capitalism has selected you its earthly avatar and is speaking through you. Cool.

It's no wonder capitalism is increasingly unpopular.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 09-21-2019 at 04:36 PM.
  #49  
Old 09-21-2019, 05:07 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
Local yocals, might be a college reunion, or a corporate retreat, I don't give a fuck just go home already!

I'm anAirbnb renter, love the concept we leave the place as clean as we found out,try to stay as quiet as church mice, but these are poppig up all over our small inland lake. Especially the rundown cottages that are flipped with cheap upgrades that sit on the market and never sell because they're fucking overpriced. But some fucking Realtor goes on a bender and squeals how it would make a great Airbnb and some cash infused motherfucker buys it and puts it on AIrbnb and VRBO.
You know how people bitch about HOAs?

This is exactly the sort of thing a HOA can protect you from. by requiring that any rental be for a minimum length of time (e.g. six months) and requiring that any rental be of the whole property, no renting just a room or a floor of a house.
  #50  
Old 09-21-2019, 05:20 PM
Balthisar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA
Posts: 11,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
It's no wonder capitalism is increasingly unpopular.
I know, I know. I hope I'm dead before your breed start taking all of our private property. You're already kind of doing it, but at some point, revolutions happen and we evil property owners will get what's coming to us.

Last edited by Balthisar; 09-21-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017