Old 09-11-2019, 02:35 PM

WTC7 collapse, new numerical results

Hello all,

The long-awaited study from the University of Alaska/Fairbanks was out a few days back, with appropriate media coverage. But if you missed it, here's a heads up.

They seem to rule out NIST's proposed collapse mechanism and their simulation of simultaneous failure of all columns is uncannily like the real-life collapse.

What do you make of it?
Old 09-11-2019, 02:38 PM

No, what do you make of it?
Old 09-11-2019, 02:44 PM

Link?
Old 09-11-2019, 02:47 PM

The last sentences from the draft report:

Quote:
It is our conclusion that the collapse of WTC 7 was a global failure involving the near simultaneous failure of all columns in the building and not a progressive collapse involving the sequential failure of columns throughout the building.
Despite simulating a number of hypothetical scenarios, we were unable to identify any progressive sequence of failures that could have taken place on September 11, 2001, and caused a total collapse of the building, let alone the observed straight-down collapse with approximately 2.5 seconds of free fall and minimal differential movement of the exterior.
This is more of a "what happened" conclusion not a "why it happened" conclusion.

There does not appear to be a discussion of why there was a global failure. Me? I am going with aliens.

Last edited by Hermitian; 09-11-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Dr Hulsey has been doing work for Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth, who appear to have commissioned this study, for several years. While he claims to be a forensic structural engineer, it appears he has no specific training in that area. He is a well trained and respected civil engineer otherwise.

I don't have the engineering chops to review the paper, I'll let others do that. But at first glance I am suspect of a report commissioned by quacks that happens to support their primary thesis.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Prepared for:
Architects & Engineers for 9/11 Truth
Those nutcases commissioned this paper?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 09-11-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namahoo View Post
The long-awaited study from the University of Alaska/Fairbanks was out a few days back, with appropriate media coverage.
(Bolding mine.) Which is to say, coverage from the university itself, a few scattered sources in Alaska, and sites with monikers involving "9/11truth" and such. Places like Reuters and CNN haven't jumped on the study. I'm guessing that's "appropriate."
Old 09-11-2019, 02:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Hello all,

The long-awaited study from the University of Alaska/Fairbanks was out a few days back, with appropriate media coverage. But if you missed it, here's a heads up.

They seem to rule out NIST's proposed collapse mechanism and their simulation of simultaneous failure of all columns is uncannily like the real-life collapse.

What do you make of it?
What brought this to your attention, and what do you think about it?
Old 09-11-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

All I can find is from 2017. I can't tell if this is newer than that.

The first thing that occurs to me is that if it was controlled demolition, why was it only in WTC7, and did the airliners crashing into the other towers cause those to collapse but not WTC7?

No idea how reputable Dr. Leroy Hulsey is among his peers.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 09-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Just to provide a link: Breaking: UAF study says government wrong on World Trade Center collapse.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Subtitled "ALASKA-LED TEAM VINDICATES 911 ‘TRUTHERS’"
Inspires confidence in the report, don't it?
Old 09-11-2019, 03:27 PM

Let's sidestep the physics and math for a moment. One issue 9/11 Truthers have never answered is why the U.S. government (or whoever was nefarious enough to rig this thing) would want to knock down WTC7. What does knocking down the relatively-obscure, little-known building called WTC7 get them that knocking down the two big Twin Towers alone didn't?
Old 09-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
The last sentences from the draft report:
Quote:
It is our conclusion that the collapse of WTC 7 was a global failure involving the near simultaneous failure of all columns in the building and not a progressive collapse involving the sequential failure of columns throughout the building.
Despite simulating a number of hypothetical scenarios, we were unable to identify any progressive sequence of failures that could have taken place on September 11, 2001, and caused a total collapse of the building, let alone the observed straight-down collapse with approximately 2.5 seconds of free fall and minimal differential movement of the exterior.
Wow, that summary is just dripping with 9/11 Truther talking points.

I would hope that the structural physics world would look into it and then see if it still stands. However, I don't think any real working experts will actually waste their time with it.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Hello all,

What do you make of it?
I've never understood why this building fascinates the 9/11 Truther CT types, to be honest. There really aren't any mysteries as to why the building collapsed. Basically, a ton of building material fell on it from the other WTC tower collapses (BURNING debris at that), and due to water main breaks and, kind of other priorities happening the building was left burning all day without fire fighters really doing much (read: anything).

I did look up a NIST FAQ page on WTC 7, for anyone interested. Been a while since I looked into this (since the last crazy 9/11 Truther came here to discuss it), but I recall seeing some of the models and it seems more than plausible that, along with the initial damage to structural supports facing the tower collapse damaged sections, the fire weakened the rest of the supports over hours of uncontrolled burning, leading to a collapse. Certainly there is zero evidence of explosives or anything like that, so seems a red herring to me to talk about simultaneous collapse in some sort of sinister tones.

Since the OP didn't link to this great report, and since it seems, unsurprisingly to have come from 9/11 CTer types I don't really think it's worth looking at. If the OP felt there was something compelling in there I figure s/he would have linked to and quoted it. What do I make of it? Last gasp by the 9/11 Truther types to try and get some traction for their crazy theories would be my guess.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!

Last edited by XT; 09-11-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtC View Post
Wow, that summary is just dripping with 9/11 Truther talking points.
However, I don't think any real working experts will actually waste their time with it.
I suspect the people who "commissioned" this study are counting on the fact that no reputable authority will actually waste their time on debunking more of this bullshit.

Also, there is some comments on the linked site that says they will solicit public opinion prior to publishing the full results of the study later this year. Sounds completely legit to me.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Since the OP didn't link to this great report, and since it seems, unsurprisingly to have come from 9/11 CTer types I don't really think it's worth looking at. If the OP felt there was something compelling in there I figure s/he would have linked to and quoted it. What do I make of it? Last gasp by the 9/11 Truther types to try and get some traction for their crazy theories would be my guess.
The linked site says the report is not yet published. They wish to solicit public opinion first. Target date is end of 2019:

Quote:
There will be a two-month public comment period from September 3 to November 1, 2019, with the final report to be released later this year.

“During this period, we welcome any and all members of the public to submit constructive comments intended to further the analyses and presentation of findings contained in the report.
IOW: Submit your lunatic fringe conspiracy theories to us and we'll try to include them in the report.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
The linked site says the report is not yet published. They wish to solicit public opinion first. Target date is end of 2019:

IOW: Submit your lunatic fringe conspiracy theories to us and we'll try to include them in the report.
Well, you know, ALL peer reviewed papers are generally submitted to solicit public opinion first....right? Right?? Isn't that how it works???

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 09-11-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
mustreadalaska.com ??

No. Must NOT read. Just due to the domain name. Life is too short.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
{...} What do I make of it? Last gasp by the 9/11 Truther types to try and get some traction for their crazy theories would be my guess.
Oh, you crazy dreamer you.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Here's some numerical results for you:

There used to be 1 building called WTC7.
Now there are 0 buildings called WTC7.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Explain this:

(1) Why did all three buildings collapse symmetrically as in a controlled demolition?
(2) Why did all three buildings collapse at free fall rates of speed ?
(3) WTC7 wasn't hit by a plane. Why would normal office furnishings and material cause such a massive structural collapse?
(4) Why wasn't the steel from the structures analyzed for explosives and why was it shipped to China for scrap rather than keeping for it for analysis of a crime beyond the government issued explanation?
(5) What were the explosions that many people heard?
(6) How could there be molten steel under ruins three months after the collapse?
(7) How did the fire get so "bad" in a relatively modern structure that would surely pass code?
(8) Why has no other skyscraper collapsed the way these three buildings did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=LgYNPaO1rNY

Last edited by LAZombie; 09-11-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZombie View Post
Explain this:

(1) Why did all three buildings collapse symmetrically as in a controlled demolition?
(3) WTC7 wasn't hit by a plane. Why would normal office furnishings and material cause such a massive structural collapse?
(4) Why wasn't the steel from the structures analyzed for explosives and why was it shipped to China for scrap rather than keeping for it for analysis of a crime beyond the government issued explanation?
(6) How could there be molten steel under ruins three months after the collapse?
(7) How did the fire get so "bad" in a relatively modern structure that would surely pass code?

Oh boy. All together now..."Here we go again."
Old 09-11-2019, 06:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
There does not appear to be a discussion of why there was a global failure. Me? I am going with aliens.
Go with them, by all means, and enjoy your anal probe.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:16 PM
BANNED

Of course, there's always the compromise theory.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Explain this:

Jig is up, guys; He's on to us! Quickly now, everybody back to HQ-A51 for decontamination and departure.

Leave the illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator -- take the cannoli.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:45 PM

I've often wondered what the government would have done had the buildings not collapsed. Imagine if the two towers were just looming over NYC dangerously unstable yet refused to fall. You would have to evacuate all of Manhattan indefinitely.

I struggle to think how you would even dismantle them? Certainly not safely anyway.

Last edited by Willcross; 09-11-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Jig is up, guys; He's on to us! Quickly now, everybody back to HQ-A51 for decontamination and departure.

Leave the illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator -- take the cannoli.
Instead of sarcasm, why not answer question one? I thought this was a forum for intellectual debate. No?

I always accepted until the official government narrative until seeing several videos arguing something different. I'm open minded. Set me straight.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcross View Post
I've often wondered what the government would have done had the buildings not collapsed. Imagine if the two towers were just looming over NYC dangerously unstable yet refused to fall. You would have to evacuate all of Manhattan indefinitely.

I struggle to think how you would even dismantle them? Certainly not safely anyway.
This Cecil Adams column mentions some methods that could be used to deconstruct a skyscraper, although I don't think the usual methods would be possible if the buildings were not intact.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 09-11-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Instead of sarcasm, why not answer question one? I thought this was a forum for intellectual debate. No?

I always accepted until the official government narrative until seeing several videos arguing something different. I'm open minded. Set me straight.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/9/11
Old 09-11-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Explain this:

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, saw the movie, read the novelization of the movie, got the action figures, got a complete set of the collector cards, ate the cereal, played the card game, played the video game, got the bobblehead, tried the beer, read the blog, watched the vlog, saw the music video and gave at the office.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Explain this:

(1) They didn't.
(2) Gravity.
(3) WTC7 got hit by a very large chunk of WTC1.
(4) If the steel was immediately sent to China, what was all that metal at the Fresh Kills landfill for nearly a decade?
(5) The survivors from Stairwell B in WTC1 reported only hearing the tower collapsing above them, no mention of any explosions.
(6) There is no reliable source for molten anything, certainly not steel. Images supposedly showing molten anything have either been misinterpreted or outright doctored.
(7) Being property of the Port Authority, all seven buildings were exempt from codes.
(8) No other buildings utilizing the exact same construction as the original World Trade Center complex have been struck by airliners.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-11-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Explain this:
Faulty assumptions based on bad information.

That was easy.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcross View Post

Well, no.
Even if they didn't fall, you'd only have to evacuate the Lower Manhattan area - the WTC buildings aren't going to crush the Empire State Building if they fell...
Old 09-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Let's sidestep the physics and math for a moment. One issue 9/11 Truthers have never answered is why the U.S. government (or whoever was nefarious enough to rig this thing) would want to knock down WTC7. What does knocking down the relatively-obscure, little-known building called WTC7 get them that knocking down the two big Twin Towers alone didn't?
Supposedly because that's where their "let's demolish the WTC" HQ was. Never mind the fact that it would have been simpler to toss all the "evidence" into one of these truck-sized industrial shredders.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtC View Post
I would hope that the structural physics world would look into it and then see if it still stands.

I thought that the whole point of the discussion is that WTC 7 isn't still standing.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 09-11-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:04 PM

We have a building here in Baltimore called The World Trade Center. It's the world's tallest pentagonal building. In front of it there is a very large chunk of steel from that other Wolrd Trade Center. It's a memorial, but maybe you could come here and test the steel for government agents. I haven't looked into it, but I wouldn't be surprised if other cities also had big chunks, I'd also be surprised if none of the scrap ended up at Sparrows Point, which is close to Canton, but far from China.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:09 PM

The real question is why did the government want to destroy an abandoned high rise in Brazil , a small flat of apartments in Mexico city (using a convenient earthquake to cover their crimes).
Old 09-11-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, saw the movie, read the novelization of the movie, got the action figures, got a complete set of the collector cards, ate the cereal, played the card game, played the video game, got the bobblehead, tried the beer, read the blog, watched the vlog, saw the music video and gave at the office.
You don't have the coffee mug or the commemorative condoms?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
You don't have the coffee mug or the commemorative condoms?
The mug fell at freefall speeds and the condoms were were burned up by the thermite straps.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Explain this:
Answer this:
What became of the airplanes that took off that morning and never landed safely?

What became of the people who were on those planes?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Answer this:
What became of the airplanes that took off that morning and never landed safely?

What became of the people who were on those planes?
I personally picked aircraft wreckage out of the rubble at the Pentagon. So I'm pretty sure where that airplane went.

Of course, I could be part of the conspiracy.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
(1) They didn't.
(2) Gravity.
(3) WTC7 got hit by a very large chunk of WTC1.
(4) If the steel was immediately sent to China, what was all that metal at the Fresh Kills landfill for nearly a decade?
(5) The survivors from Stairwell B in WTC1 reported only hearing the tower collapsing above them, no mention of any explosions.
(6) There is no reliable source for molten anything, certainly not steel. Images supposedly showing molten anything have either been misinterpreted or outright doctored.
(7) Being property of the Port Authority, all seven buildings were exempt from codes.
(8) No other buildings utilizing the exact same construction as the original World Trade Center complex have been struck by airliners.
(1) Every video I've seen shows all three buildings collapsing symmetrically. One would think that one side or portion would collapse first followed by other sections. Instead everything falls at the same time.
(2) Free fall speed is the speed at which something falls without an opposing force. The lower levels of each building should have at the very least slowed the progression of the collapse.
(3) That doesn't explain the massive fuel source needed to weaken WTC7's structure.
(4) See the video. Many sources claim proper testing was not conducted.
(5) There are multiple video interviews claim hearing explosions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRaKHq2dfCI
(6) See video. Lots of interviews stating extreme heat levels.
(7) While the Port Authority was exempt from codes, that doesn't mean the building were structurally unsound and waiting to collapse. How could they have received insurance otherwise?
(8) But there have major fires in skyscrapers and nothing remotely similar has happened.

Last edited by LAZombie; 09-11-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 PM

Guys, he's seen a video.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Rebuttal of 1 through 8.... either "wrong" or "so?"
Old 09-11-2019, 08:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
(8) But there have major fires in skyscrapers and nothing remotely similar has happened.
Exactly.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

(1) & (2) You should stop watching videos long enough to pay attention to debris patterns. A significant portion from 1 hit 7, which subsequently fell in two different directions. Likewise, a significant portion of 2, most likely part of the core, was ejected south and crushed a Greek Orthodox church across the street. There are also videos which show the cores of 2 & 1 still standing for a significant amount of time after the rest had already fallen.
(3) 7 was retrofitted to a site that had been prepped for a building with a much smaller footprint. The entire southern facade, which faced 1 & 2, had no direct contact with the ground but rather tied into other columns.
(4) I can claim that you're an actual zombie. Doesn't make me right.
(5) How many of those were actually inside one of the towers as the tower came down above them? There were reports of people hearing trains. Does that mean some subway train jumped out of the station and went straight up?
(6) "Extreme heat levels" != molten metal. There are no reliable claims of people actually seeing molten metal.
(7) Money?
(8) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwoBRHDLxdo

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-11-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Guys, he's seen a video.
We're fucked if he begins stacking heavy metal washers and construction paper.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:54 PM

No, this isn’t how this works.

You don’t get to just nitpick the evidence if you want to rebut the official account. You have to provide your theory of what happened, addressing what appears to have occurred.

So, I’ll try again. If you want to imply or suggest that the buildings weren’t destroyed by airplanes, what happened to those airplanes and the people onboard?

Last edited by Moriarty; 09-11-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Did you actually watch this video? The entire structure is in a complete conflagration. There are flames from top to bottom. This is nothing like what happened on 911.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 PM

What part of video don't you guys understand? It was on the internet!