Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
One time a friend of mine asked me to deposit into an account I had at a US bank what appeared to be a certified check for $8000. He told that he was suspicious of the check (he never explained why). So I mailed it off to the bank along with a letter describing what my friend had said and asked to be informed when and if the check cleared. Of course I didn't withdraw anything from the account. A month later, the check was returned unpaid and I gave it back to my friend. To my utter astonishment, I got a month's interest on that $8000, which came to a few dollars in those days. My friend explained that for that month, the bank was richer by that money and was able to base a loan on it so it was entirely reasonable that they paid interest. I did keep that money.
I had the reverse happen to me, although it was a money market account. I had an extra $200,000 or so credited to me. When I notified them, they quickly removed the extra money. Then then took out an extra $15 or so of "unearned interest". Then they took out the unearned interest a second time, so I was out $15. When I complained about this, they added back $15, but put it in a second account by itself. After another year or so they declared the $15 account dormant and I was out $15 again.