Old 03-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Story here.

If this doesn't qualify as a stupid idea, I don't know what does. Supporting her, maybe?
The good news is that if she wins. she'll be replacing Ensign, so the conservative bloc won't won't be changed much. In the meantime, I look forward to lots of entertainment.

Do the Dems have anyone credible to put up for the seat?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:24 AM

She's actually trying to run for the House seat of the guy (Heller) who is running to replace Ensign.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:35 AM

I realize that all politicians do it, but I just found it funny that Sharron Angle spent $31 million and went $350,000 into the red trying to secure a job with a $174,000salary, and was running on a platform of cleaning up the deficit.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 AM

Just doing her bit to stimulate the economy.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
She's actually trying to run for the House seat of the guy (Heller) who is running to replace Ensign.
Oops, oughta read more before posting.

I would love to see another candidate run against her, parroting her exact political positions almost word for word, but wearing a clown costume at every appearance. Also, rather than running away and refusing to answer what the crazy phrases like "2nd Amendment remedies" mean, the clown will stick around and talk about shooting people.

Last edited by Boyo Jim; 03-17-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

"Republican Party, 123,875 votes. Silly Party, 34,989 votes. Very Silly Party, 11,297 votes..."
Old 03-17-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Story here.

If this doesn't qualify as a stupid idea, I don't know what does. Supporting her, maybe?
Northern Nevada is pretty conservative. They've elected her to the state senate before, so don't count her out.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

When I look up Minnesota House File 171 I get an item from 2009 that has to do with Health Care.

http://teapartypatriotsofthetwinciti...useFile171.pdf

Do they renumber these every year? Maybe this year's House File 171 is different.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess View Post
Somebody tell me this is just the result of a misreading or a deliberately misleading story on an obviously lefty site:

It's sad that I feel like there's even a chance it could be true. Minnesotans, please tell me this is a giant scam or misunderstanding?
The actual bill is here. It appears to forbid recipients from getting cash out of ATMs or getting cash back at POS from their EBT card. It doesn't appear to outlaw carrying cash of any amount, though. Not that forbidding EBT benefits from being withdrawn as cash (assuming the recipient receives actual assistance as distinguished from food stamps) is a GOOD thing.

It also appears to forbid the use of assistance funds to buy cigarettes, alcohol or lottery tickets (you already can't use food stamps funds to buy those things anywhere). I wonder if enforcing that provision is why the "no cash" rule was brought in?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Indications elsewhere of this House File (which must be different for this year from the healkth care one) limits cash withdrawals of benefits from ATMs, but says nothing about how much cash you ca carry:

Quote:
following a 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS investigation on welfare waste, two lawmakers introduced a bill that aims to restrict the use of welfare benefits.

The bill would prevent withdrawing benefits including cash at ATMs, ban out-of-state use of Minnesota cash benefits, require photo ID for the EBT cards, and would stop the purchases of liquor, tobacco and lottery tickets.

5 EYEWITNESS NEWS Reporter Mark Albert broke the story in November that exposed how cash benefits could be used on anything, such as liquor, tobacco, travel and even tattoos.

The bill was introduced in the State House (HF 171) and Senate (SF 75) on Thursday.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S1934159.shtml?cat=1

Here's the original form:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbi...l&session=ls87

Last edited by CalMeacham; 03-17-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:02 PM

I love that. "Exposed how cash benefits could be used on anything". It's not like it's a huge secret the government's been covering up all this time. It's the main reason cash benefits are so much rarer than food stamp benefits.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Its a nationwide meme, and it will not die. St. Ronnie of Bakersfield most famously exploited it with his fable about welfare queens in Cadillacs, and he hit America right square in the fantasy, everybody knows its true, nobody has to prove it, welfare scum are whooping it up, partying on our money.

Minnesota is less susceptible to this kind of crapola, but Minnesota has its share. And despite their outward appearance of bland calm, what appears to be stolid sanity has more than one kink in it.

Two words: Jesse Ventura. 'Nuf sed. Just as crazy as the rest, just quieter about it.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Story here.

May not be the worst thing she's done, but I was struck by her appearance on some Fox News show, maybe (?), where she repeatedly spelled out her website's name---"That's SharonAnggledotcom, and if everybody could just go there and give me twenty bucks, I could represent you,"----and it was just so crude and vulgar. This, from a woman who talked repeatedly about "Second Amendment solutions" but fled the press.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:09 PM

Well, Luci, I’m not as sour on Ol’ Jessie as you are. Of course you had the advantage of seeing his ego operate at close range. Nonetheless, just as soon as he announced that organized religion was a crutch for the feeble-minded (or words to that effect) he went up a couple notches in my estimation. As an uninvolved observer from afar (Afar is just south of Mason City) it seemed that Jessie never played his constituents for fools, something I can not say for the Representative from White Cloud.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

The man himself, not so bad, merely a lout. He won many points with me by attending his Inaugarual Ball in a Jimi Hendrix t-shirt and a florescent pink feather boa. And Minnesota has a comparitively "weak governor" system, so whateverness. So I am referencing more the willingness to elect a pro-wrestler to be governnor rather than the particular pro wrestler chosen. Nonetheless, it is a pity that World Champion Vern Gagne was not available...

I am also irked by Jesse's habit of insinuating that he is a bad-ass combat commando. He trained as a Navy SEAL, but he likes to suggest more than his record attests. Bugs me.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 AM

Here's a minor, and locally amusing one.

There was a MoveOn.org rally locally Tuesday, in front of one of the library branches, protesting mostly the various budget cuts for education and public services and some rather sinister provisions in Michigan's budget bill. (Sweetie and I went to see what they had to say; some of those people are nutty, but a number of the speakers had relevant, reasonable complaints.) It got printed up in the local paper. Not surprisingly, our federal representative Thaddeus McCotter gave a terse, condescending response:
Quote:
“I hope they took the opportunity at the library to borrow an economics primer,” McCotter said.
The punchline? Well, we might have LIKED to borrow an economics book, but that particular library is closed on Tuesdays. Because of budget cuts.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Apparently, the President can't take time to fill out his NCAA brackets anymore.

Here's a hint: I doubt a Republican President will work every waking moment of every day to fix every single global problem. I sure as hell know the last one didn't.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
Apparently, the President can't take time to fill out his NCAA brackets anymore.

Here's a hint: I doubt a Republican President will work every waking moment of every day to fix every single global problem. I sure as hell know the last one didn't.
I think Barack Obama should be spending his time in more serious pursuits, like clearing brush. How much time does it take to fill out the NCAA brackets anyway?

A very classy reponse from Dan Quayle, of all people, about Obama playing the occasional round of golf:
Quote:
"I'm glad he's out playing golf," Quayle -- a golfer himself -- told Fox Business Channel. "I think presidents deserve down time. And, believe me, he is in constant communication with what's going on. . . . What do you want him to do, stay in his house and be on the phone with the ambassador to Japan all the time?"
Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I think Barack Obama should be spending his time in more serious pursuits, like clearing brush. How much time does it take to fill out the NCAA brackets anyway?

A very classy reponse from Dan Quayle, of all people, about Obama playing the occasional round of golf:
Quote:
"I'm glad he's out playing golf," Quayle -- a golfer himself -- told Fox Business Channel. "I think presidents deserve down time. And, believe me, he is in constant communication with what's going on. . . . What do you want him to do, stay in his house and be on the phone with the ambassador to Japan all the time?"
Son of a bitch. Not only do I agree with Dan Quayle, but I also think that was a thoughtful and intelligent thing to say.

Here comes the apocalypse. It's been nice knowing you all.

Last edited by Maus Magill; 03-18-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Mmmm.. conjugation Good!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:24 AM

See? Obama's golfing will destroy the world!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Son of a bitch. Not only do I agree with Dan Quayle, but I also think that was a thoughtful and intelligent thing to say.

Here comes the apocalypse. It's been nice knowing you all.
Yeah, we're at the point where Dan Quayle has become a voice of reason. We're fucked.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah, we're at the point where Dan Quayle has become a voice of reason. We're fucked.
No shit. What's next in the Apocalypse -- some two-bit politician with less provable ability than Dan Quayle and no realistic selling points other than their appearance being treated as a serious candidate for the 2012 President race?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

A.) We better never GET another Republican President.

B.) In the tragically likely event that we fuck up and DO get another Republican President I would prefer that he (or she; it could be a she) spend every waking moment devoting his or her attention to inconsequential matters such as the NCAA tournament and Dancing With the Stars, and other water cooler-appropriate subjects. Any actual policy activity by such a person could only leave us worse off.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM

I quote George W Bush (from Aug 2002, smack dab in the middle of the War on Terror):

"I call upon all nations to do everything they can to stop these terrorist killers. Thank you. Now watch this drive."

There's leadership you can set your wrist watch to.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Grampa? What's a "wrist watch"?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:45 PM

Is anyone really surprised any more to find out that conservatives in America don't understand how our Government or the world work?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/0...cal-islamists/

Quote:
...former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said he's worried the United States could be “a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists,” in the foreseeable future, according to Politico.
Secular atheist country dominated by Islamists. Yeah, Newt, that makes sense.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:41 AM

And, due in May from the esteemed (*cough*) Jerome Corsi is the Big Book of Birtherism.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post

Hey, sometimes when you are trying to wave as many boogeymen as you can in front of the unwashed masses you have to sacrifice some realism. Face it, it is not like his intended audience was going to notice.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM

Donald Trump, in an effort to show he isn't a hypocrite (please stop guffawing) released his birth certificate. Well, except that it isn't. It's a document issued by the hospital and signed by a hospital administrator. A hospital, in fact, that has been the recipient of much largesse from Trump.
Quote:
What is Donald Trump hiding?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Mundane View Post

I read in a list of dumb theist quotes somewhere one moron arguing that atheists are just a form of Muslim. Maybe that was Newty being being quoted...

Last edited by Revtim; 03-29-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:55 PM

Rick Santorum, Republican, moron:
“The reason Social Security is in trouble is because we don’t have enough workers to support the retirees. Well, a third of all the young people in America are not in America today because of abortion, because one in three pregnancies end in abortion...”
Link.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
“The reason Social Security is in trouble is because we don’t have enough workers to support the retirees. Well, a third of all the young people in America are not in America today because of abortion, because one in three pregnancies end in abortion...”
Link.
Too bad the US simply has no options when it comes to having more workers...
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punoqllads View Post
Donald Trump, in an effort to show he isn't a hypocrite (please stop guffawing) released his birth certificate. Well, except that it isn't. It's a document issued by the hospital and signed by a hospital administrator. A hospital, in fact, that has been the recipient of much largesse from Trump.
I notice that it isn't a birth certificate, either. That's a Certificate of Birth. WHAT IS HE HIDING???
Old 03-30-2011, 01:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
Link.
Clearly the real problem is that not enough of us boomers were aborted.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:51 AM

"A third of all the young people in America are not in America ..."

I don't care if he's blaming abortion or the cancelation of Star Trek, the man is an idiot. What kind of sentence is that? What kind of logic makes words like that come out of someone's mouth?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
What kind of logic makes words like that come out of someone's mouth?
It's not so much "words" as it is "a frothy mix of lube and fecal matter..."
Old 03-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

The lovely and talented lexicologist Sarah Palin has invented another word...

Actually, if Brad Hall had come up with it in a Sniglets book, I could understand, but she is a leader in the Republican Party.

Also, is it just me, or does she come off as way over her head, even on a friendly network like Fox? Nervous and stammering, no confidence. It's almost as if she know's her ride is about over.

Last edited by yanceylebeef; 03-30-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Fat Fingers
Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 AM

I'm pretty sure a "squirmish" is a type of Pokemon.

And it's Rich Hall, not Brad.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanceylebeef View Post
Actually, if Brad Hall had come up with it in a Sniglets book, I could understand, but she is a leader in the Republican Party.
Rich Hall, not Brad
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
Rich Hall, not Brad
Dammit!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 AM

I'm imagining opposing armies of worms getting into a squirmish. I have to admit, I think both this and "refudiate" are actually really great words.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:11 AM

Sarah is so Shakespearean, embiggening the richness of our collective vocabulary with the lovely cromulence of her lexicon.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
I read in a list of dumb theist quotes somewhere one moron arguing that atheists are just a form of Muslim. Maybe that was Newty being being quoted...
Found it:
http://goonanism.com/blog/2008/02/05...st-christians/
Quote:
No, everyone is born Christian. Only later in life do people choose to stray from Jesus and worship satan instead. Atheists have the greatest “cover” of all, they insist they believe in no god yet most polls done and the latest research indicates that they are actually a different sect of Muslims
Old 03-30-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanceylebeef View Post
The lovely and talented lexicologist Sarah Palin has invented another word...
Eh, she only said it once as far as I can tell, you gotta let her get away muffing up a word occasionally like we all do sometime.

Unlike the "refudiate" incident, where she not only used it multiple times, but then tried to correct it and chose the wrong word (refute instead of repudiate). That's the sign of powerful ignorance.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 PM

While I am sure it is just a slip of the tongue, I kind of like the word "Squirmish".
Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 PM

Likewise, I give Dubya credit for "misunderestimated." It communicates not only a mistake, but also clarifies the direction of the mistake. All in the same word.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberhwk View Post
Likewise, I give Dubya credit for "misunderestimated." It communicates not only a mistake, but also clarifies the direction of the mistake. All in the same word.
How is "underestimated" not communicating a mistake and the direction of the mistake? I'm probably being slow.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 PM

Cut the republicans a break

If you give them a job of only $174,000 (not including benefits), do they not whine?
No, wait, I get it, they feel our pain...