Old 09-17-2019, 09:33 AM

Reading the last seven posts...

That's four minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

It seems that the Dancing With the Stars judges gave Sean Spicer low marks. Obviously, this indicates their anti-Christian bias.

(Or maybe they just couldn't see the nuances of his performance through the eye protection they needed to gaze upon his outfit.)

Last edited by Steve MB; 09-17-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Great. Now we gotta worry about Nazi furries. Is there no depths of depravity this world will leave unplumbed ?!
Gives a whole new meaning to Hitler's Werwolf corps, doesn't it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werwolf
Old 09-17-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
It seems that the Dancing With the Stars judges gave Sean Spicer low marks. Obviously, this indicates their anti-Christian bias.

(Or maybe they just couldn't see the nuances of his performance through the eye protection they needed to gaze upon his outfit.)

Holy crap, I saw that picture on a link to The Onion, and just assumed they photoshopped it...I guess I'm officially out of touch with this new reality.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I haven't watched DWtS in a few seasons - but this happens every single time someone right wing sucks at dancing. There's a weird contingent of red state viewers who go nuts and yell how it must be because of hollywood liberal bias rather than that the person they are cheering for is extremely uncoordinate and deeply rhythm impaired and can't find the beat with a state of the art GPS system. Every single year, there were one or two of them and every single time the Republican voters seemed to think that voting for _______ on DWtS was the same thing as voting for their Senator based on policy positions. Except way more important because they were proving something to someone. (it was hard to tell what they were trying to prove. But dadgum it, they were out to prove it.)

It's a very weird extension of tribalism.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
"Sean Spicer just tried to turn 'Dancing' into some sort of culture-war proxy"

And this is yet another good reason to never invite republicans to anything.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:

At least Spicer, unlike Huckabee Sanders, looked like he was embarrassed to lie.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
It seems that the Dancing With the Stars judges gave Sean Spicer low marks. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Holy crap, I saw that picture on a link to The Onion, and just assumed they photoshopped it...I guess I'm officially out of touch with this new reality.
...making you the envy of millions.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:

It shouldn't be any surprise that Spicer was pretty bad on DWTS. He wasn't much better at dancing around the facts for his former boss.

But yeah, he seems to be going for some sort of participation trophy. I thought Republicans were against that sort of thing.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 09-17-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
But yeah, he seems to be going for some sort of participation trophy. I thought Republicans were against that sort of thing.

You misunderstand. They're against that sort of thing for other people.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:07 PM

It seems we've forgotten about "merit based"
Old 09-17-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutman74 View Post
It seems we've forgotten about "merit based"

Nope. The 'pubblies haven't forgotten about it. They just define it differently. For example, they believe their merit began with being born to someone in the country, being born not a minority, being born to someone not even remotely poor, etc.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:05 PM

Aye; Brojustice Kavanaugh is all about "merit-based" employment, for instance, remember?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-17-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:25 PM

Crazy "prophet" Mark Taylor says that Christians must carry weapons to defend themselves because since there are fewer abortions, the Red Cross is kidnapping people off the streets to get enough blood to feed to Baal.
https://deadstate.org/christian-prop...for-sacrifices

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 09-17-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:19 PM

Michele Malkin decides to use the day of Cokie Roberts's death to criticize her.
https://www.newsweek.com/michelle-ma...-death-1459851
Old 09-18-2019, 01:12 AM

Right-wing talk show host broadcasts detailed plan for mass murder against antifascist protesters.

Quote:
Conservative radio host Lars Larson brags that his radio show is broadcast on over 20 stations in the Pacific Northwest and has featured interviews with everyone from Paul Ryan to Sean “Commander” Spicer, as Larson referred to the then-press secretary over Skype in the White House briefing room last year.

But on Thursday last week, Larson offered something a little different to his thousands of listeners: A detailed plan on how to “slaughter” scores of left wing activists in their sleep.

The plan came from Shane Kohfield, who earlier this summer had his guns confiscated by the FBI and was briefly taken to a VA hospital after announcing a similar plan in front of the mayor of Portland’s house. Right Wing Watch flagged the interview on Monday.
I'd say I hope the FBI is watching this guy, but given that the FBI recently "lost" its file on Stormfront, I have little hope that that's the case.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:19 AM

Also: Fox News reporter Michelle Malkin attacks dead reporter for "fake news" literally hours after her death. Fucking scumbag.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Right-wing talk show host broadcasts detailed plan for mass murder against antifascist protesters.

I'd say I hope the FBI is watching this guy, but given that the FBI recently "lost" its file on Stormfront, I have little hope that that's the case.
Lars Larson? Sounds like a Marvel Comics supervillain. Yeah, I know a different mook actually came up with the plan.

And the plan is paramilitary death squads, basically? How very Central American (and unoriginal).
Old 09-18-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Crazy "prophet" Mark Taylor says that Christians must carry weapons to defend themselves because since there are fewer abortions, the Red Cross is kidnapping people off the streets to get enough blood to feed to Baal.
https://deadstate.org/christian-prop...for-sacrifices
WHOA! Here's another story from that site:
Christian prophet: ‘Patriots’ will drag dead Democrats through the streets if Trump doesn’t carry out ‘mass arrests’ by January

This story would be hilarious if it weren't for the fact that people believe this crap. Like:
Quote:
...Taylor has claimed in the past that Trump’s operation has already arrested Satanic pedophile rings, saying that the “Clintons are going to go down, Obama is going to go down, they’re all going to go down.”
BTW, God told him all of this stuff-- he's not making it up.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:36 AM

Missed edit window.

Just have to add another headline from the Mark Taylor site:
MN public school board chairwoman: Evolution is outdated because ‘it was discovered in the 1800s’

You can't make this shit up.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:03 AM

Oh, and a PA Republican State Senator is a pedo:

https://wnep.com/2019/09/17/state-se...raphy-charges/

Last edited by Mr. Miskatonic; 09-18-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Missed edit window.

Just have to add another headline from the Mark Taylor site:
MN public school board chairwoman: Evolution is outdated because ‘it was discovered in the 1800s’

You can't make this shit up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN idiot
You know, Darwin’s theory was done in the mid-1800s and it’s never been proven, so I’m wondering why we’re still teaching it.
Lady, if that's the metric you're going by I have some bad news about the Bible...
Old 09-18-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Lady, if that's the metric you're going by I have some bad news about the Bible...
Not to mention, about gravity.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:21 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Not to mention, about gravity.
"We control matter because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull. You will learn by degrees, Winston. There is nothing that we could not do. Invisibility, levitation — anything. I could float off this floor like a soap bubble if I wish to. I do not wish to, because the Party does not wish it. You must get rid of those nineteenth-century ideas about the laws of Nature. We make the laws of Nature."
Old 09-18-2019, 04:06 PM

Pompeo calls drone attack on Saudi Arabia an "Act of War"

I'm sure we can believe any evidence presented by Saudi Arabian officials. If you like, they can even show you the evidence. It's in one of their embassies, in the cupboard labelled "bone saw". Come alone.

And do you know what? I think that Saudi Arabian nationalists financing, supporting and training 15 terrorists to destroy major buildings in New York could also be considered an "act of war". Too bad we forgot so quickly (within hours, apparently) which country was behind this heinous act.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
Oh, and a PA Republican State Senator is a pedo:

https://wnep.com/2019/09/17/state-se...raphy-charges/
When I saw the headline in the news, I did not have to click the link to know that the pedo was a Republican.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Pompeo calls drone attack on Saudi Arabia an "Act of War"

I'm sure we can believe any evidence presented by Saudi Arabian officials. If you like, they can even show you the evidence. It's in one of their embassies, in the cupboard labelled "bone saw". Come alone.

And do you know what? I think that Saudi Arabian nationalists financing, supporting and training 15 terrorists to destroy major buildings in New York could also be considered an "act of war". Too bad we forgot so quickly (within hours, apparently) which country was behind this heinous act.
I would think only Saudi Arabia could determine if an attack on Saudi Arabia was "an act of war". What's Pompeo doing sticking his nose in it?
Old 09-18-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't say the country, as in the government, was behind that heinous act. They had already stripped Bin Laden of his citizenship back in 1994.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I would think only Saudi Arabia could determine if an attack on Saudi Arabia was "an act of war". What's Pompeo doing sticking his nose in it?
Hoping SA will agree with him so Individual 1 can get his war.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm, Iran v. Saudi Arabia....

Can I root for them both to lose?
Old 09-18-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Michele Malkin decides to use the day of Cokie Roberts's death to criticize her.
https://www.newsweek.com/michelle-ma...-death-1459851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
I recall hearing Keith Olberman referring to Malkin as a "bag of meat with lipstick". For which, of course, he received a fair dose of flak. It was, indeed, an impolitic thing to say, much in the same vein as "hey, you have a big green ball of snot hanging from the tip of your nose".
Old 09-19-2019, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I recall hearing Keith Olberman referring to Malkin as a "bag of meat with lipstick".
The various otherwise interchangeable leggy blondes on Faux Noise could be lined up in a "stages of meth abuse" timeline.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:54 AM

Apparently not knowing the meaning of the word "irony",
Quote:
U.S. seeks to penalize San Francisco: President Trump said the city would be issued a notice of environmental violation because of its homelessness problem, citing used needles that were ending up in the ocean.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Hmmm, Iran v. Saudi Arabia....

Can I root for them both to lose?
There are no winners. War decides not who is right but who is left. But the reality is that if we treated Iran decently, in a neutral sort of way, the dissident faction would almost certainly grow stronger, to the point that the theocracy would wither on the vine and they would become the progressive beacon of the ME. Yelling at them is only making the ugly side uglier.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
There are no winners. War decides not who is right but who is left. But the reality is that if we treated Iran decently, in a neutral sort of way, the dissident faction would almost certainly grow stronger, to the point that the theocracy would wither on the vine and they would become the progressive beacon of the ME. Yelling at them is only making the ugly side uglier.
And I think that's rather the point. The US NEEDS an enemy to rail against.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
And I think that's rather the point. The US NEEDS an enemy to rail against.
We've got one in the White House.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Secretary of State Pompeo comments on (specifically) the Houthi rebels claiming responsibility for the Saudi refinery attack and (generally) on how reporters ought to contextualize public assertions:

Quote:
Question: If it didn't come from there, did it come from Iran, or did it come from southern Iraq? Where is the view that it would come from there?

Pompeo: We've seen no evidence that it – by the way, that makes the Houthis' claims false, right. Just so we're tracking back to your original question, that means these people lie. And so whatever you report about them, you say, "the Houthis said," you should say, "the well-known, frequently lying Houthis have said the following." This is important, because you ought not report them as if these are truth-tellers, as if these are people who aren't completely under the boot of the Iranians, and who would not at the direction of the Iranians lay claim to attacks which they did not engage in, which clearly was the case here. So there you go. Whenever you say "Houthis," you should begin with "the well-known, frequently-known-to-lie Houthis." And then you can write whatever it is they say. And you would have — that would be good reporting.

(Laughter.)
(emphasis added)

Excellent advice, with other obvious applications....
Old 09-19-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I nominate Steve's entry for SRIOT year so far. Definitely stupid advice to give if it will be followed.

Last edited by Ludovic; 09-19-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
But the reality is that if we treated Iran decently, in a neutral sort of way, the dissident faction would almost certainly grow stronger, to the point that the theocracy would wither on the vine and they would become the progressive beacon of the ME. Yelling at them is only making the ugly side uglier.
The reality is that the US really F'ed up Iran starting in the 1950s, and up to and until the conclusion of the hostage situation in '79-'80, they had major beefs with us, and they apparently have a long memory. The Obama administration's treaty with them was a step in the right direction, but he who shall not be named decided that since Obama did it, it must be destroyed or undone.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

A joint UNC - Duke program is having too many nice things to say about Islam, so the program will lose its federal grant money unless it's properly "amended" (apparently to say more nice things about Israel and Christianity).

WTF???
Old 09-19-2019, 08:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
A joint UNC - Duke program is having too many nice things to say about Islam, so the program will lose its federal grant money unless it's properly "amended" (apparently to say more nice things about Israel and Christianity).

WTF???
Holy shit. If they’re pulling this at DUKE, Harvard is the next to go down. The top U.S. universities have enough cash on hand to give the finger to the Orange Lump, but what about everyone else?
Old 09-20-2019, 08:41 AM

Why Republicans Play Dirty

This is not rocket surgery. In a nutshell:
"They fear that if they stick to the rules, they will lose everything. Their behavior is a threat to democratic stability."

They are desperate. Excellent article that sums up the perils we currently face. I've tried to convey the sense while not quoting the whole thing.
Quote:
The greatest threat to our democracy today is a Republican Party that plays dirty to win.

The party’s abandonment of fair play was showcased spectacularly in 2016, when the United States Senate refused to allow President Barack Obama to fill the Supreme Court vacancy created by Justice Antonin Scalia’s death in February. While technically constitutional, the act — in effect, stealing a Court seat — hadn’t been tried since the 19th century. It would be bad enough on its own, but the Merrick Garland affair is part of a broader pattern.

Republicans across the country seem to have embraced an “any means necessary” strategy to preserve their power.

[Many examples follow - TL]

...Democracy requires that parties know how to lose. Politicians who fail to win elections must be willing to accept defeat, go home, and get ready to play again the next day. This norm of gracious losing is essential to a healthy democracy.

But for parties to accept losing, two conditions must hold. First, they must feel secure that losing today will not bring ruinous consequences; and second, they must believe they have a reasonable chance of winning again in the future. When party leaders fear they cannot win future elections, or that defeat poses an existential threat to themselves or their constituents, the stakes rise. Their time horizons shorten. They throw tomorrow to the wind and seek to win at any cost today. In short, desperation leads politicians to play dirty.

[Historical examples - TL]

...Republicans have won the popular vote in presidential elections just once in the last 30 years. Donald Trump captured this Republican pessimism well when he told the Christian Broadcasting Network in 2016, “I think this is the last election the Republicans have a chance of winning because you are going to have people flowing across the border.”.

“If we don’t win this election,” Mr. Trump added. “you’ll never see another Republican.”

Half a century ago, white Protestant men occupied nearly all our country’s high-status positions: They made up nearly all the elected officials, business leaders and media figures. Those days are over, but the loss of a group’s social status can feel deeply threatening. Many rank-and-file Republicans believe that the country they grew up in is being taken away from them. Slogans like “take our country back” and “make America great again” reflect this sense of peril.

[Examples follow of current and planned attempts to restrict voting by minorities - TL]

...American democracy faces a Catch-22: Republicans won’t abandon their white identity bunker strategy until they lose, but at the same time that strategy has made them so averse to losing they are willing to bend the rules to avoid this fate. There is no easy exit. Republican leaders must either stand up to their base and broaden their appeal or they must suffer an electoral thrashing so severe that they are compelled to do so.
Like Mitch said, if we allow everyone who has a right to vote to do so, Republicans will be toast. (Or words to that effect.)
Old 09-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

The relevant part of that quote:
"Republicans across the country seem to have embraced an “any means necessary” strategy to preserve their power. "

Not to fight for what they think is right, or on some moral ground however misguided, but to preserve their power.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

"If conservatives become convinced they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will reject democracy." --David Frum
Old 09-20-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post

WTF???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Holy shit. If they’re pulling this at DUKE, Harvard is the next to go down. The top U.S. universities have enough cash on hand to give the finger to the Orange Lump, but what about everyone else?
They will ultimately have to submit to Betsy DeVos' Minitrue.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
(Arizona) House Speaker Rusty Bowers last week told a group of parents during an event in Gilbert that comprehensive sex education would lead to more Planned Parenthood customers, sexually transmitted diseases, abortions and promote unnecessary desires, according to video captured at the event.
Link. Basically, the current Superintendent of Public Instruction is wanting to change the current guidelines, which are forty years old.

“Speaker Bowers’ comments today are just as abhorrent and reprehensible as his comments made over the weekend, and they have no basis in reality,” [Superintendent of Public Instruction Kathy] Hoffman said in a statement. Any guesses what letter is after her name? She was elected last year, replacing Diane Douglas who made DeVos look like an educational genius. Let's put it this way: Despite being the incumbent, Douglas came in third in the Republican primary.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:34 PM

Candace Owens, the Republican Party's favorite crazy black person, says white supremacy and white nationalism are not problems.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/candac...-not-a-problem
Old 09-21-2019, 01:42 PM

Let me know when she moves to Whitefish, MT.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:34 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Let me know when she moves to Whitefish, MT.
Kalispell might be even better: it's the home of David Burgert and Project 7.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Secretary of State Pompeo comments on (specifically) the Houthi rebels claiming responsibility for the Saudi refinery attack and (generally) on how reporters ought to contextualize public assertions:
Lefty news agencies have got to start referring to individual 1 this way. If it catches on enough maybe we can get the toddler in chief to fire Pompeo for starting the whole thing.