Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5051  
Old 07-21-2016, 09:50 AM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,071
The dumb stuff, that was all adaher the tighty-righty. This is adaher v2.0 the non-partisan centrist, so all that stuff is poof! gone!
  #5052  
Old 07-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Biffy the Elephant Shrew is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Over on the left
Posts: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
When I say victory, I mean getting more than her husband did.
To be fair, very few of us get more than her husband did.
  #5053  
Old 07-21-2016, 03:31 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
To be fair, very few of us get more than her husband did.
Nice... (clapping)
I said at the time that Bill gettin' frisky in the Oval Office would be seen as a plus in many european countries.
  #5054  
Old 07-21-2016, 05:46 PM
Nars Glinley is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sweeping down the plain.
Posts: 5,809
I support #BLM but I do not support their telling an old man that he can't use a public sidewalk.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/177002277-story
  #5055  
Old 07-21-2016, 06:24 PM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,071
There is no "them" yet, BLM has yet to "jell" into an organized entity. Who would you turn to for the current correct position of the BLM Central Committee? I exaggerate a bit, but imagine you will still see the point.
  #5056  
Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 PM
Nars Glinley is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sweeping down the plain.
Posts: 5,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
There is no "them" yet, BLM has yet to "jell" into an organized entity. Who would you turn to for the current correct position of the BLM Central Committee? I exaggerate a bit, but imagine you will still see the point.

While undeniably true, the same can be said of most movements; and many of them have "stupid ideas".
__________________
I've decided to spend more time criticizing things I don't understand. - Dogbert
  #5057  
Old 07-22-2016, 12:18 AM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
There is no "them" yet, BLM has yet to "jell" into an organized entity. Who would you turn to for the current correct position of the BLM Central Committee? I exaggerate a bit, but imagine you will still see the point.
Fair enough, but protest etiquette really should be taught in Left Wing Politics 101. It comes to right-wingers naturally, as shown in the very civilized Tea Party protests, but I guess lefties need to be taught this stuff. Such as, don't piss people off if you want them to side with you.
  #5058  
Old 07-22-2016, 12:42 AM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,071
That form is practiced here in Minnesota!

"What do we want"
"Justice!"
"When do we want it?
"Well, pretty soon, if its not a lot of trouble!"

A pity those crazy radicals calling themselves "The Sons of Liberty" didn't hear about this. God Save the Queen is a much better tune than the Star Spangled Banner.
  #5059  
Old 07-22-2016, 12:51 AM
Robot Arm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 23,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Fair enough, but protest etiquette really should be taught in Left Wing Politics 101. It comes to right-wingers naturally, as shown in the very civilized Tea Party protests,...
Oh yeah, signs like this are the very pinnacle of civility.
  #5060  
Old 07-22-2016, 12:53 AM
adaher is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,896
Signs, no matter how awful, are civilized. Disrupting the life of innocent citizens because you're angry at the government is an actual problem. Violence and lawbreaking as part of protesting is even more problematic. The left has even forgotten what civil disobedience is. Contrary to the modern liberal belief, it is not breaking any laws you feel like as an expression of protest. Civil disobedience is breaking specific laws you consider unjust. Last I checked, no one thought laws against shitting on patrol cars was problematic.
  #5061  
Old 07-22-2016, 04:10 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Contrary to the modern liberal belief, it is not breaking any laws you feel like as an expression of protest...
You've been asked before to check your facts before you post. Or at least stop and read what you've written before you hit 'submit'.

That didn't work, so how about another idea:

Every time you catch yourself telling us what liberals believe, think "Hmmm, I've created a strawman here. And probably an offensive strawman. Why don't I just take that phrase out? Because I care about whether I'm just making stuff up or not."

Now, if we're being too idealistic and you actually don't care, feel free to keep it up.
  #5062  
Old 07-22-2016, 04:22 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Contrary to the modern liberal belief, it is not breaking any laws you feel like as an expression of protest.
Missed this earlier -- I'll add to digs pile on.

What a load of fucking bullshit nonsense. Pathetic lazy cowardly crap. Stop with this straw-man shit.

Why do you say this crap? Do you think it's true when you're typing it, or are you just trying to get a dig in on liberals?

Stop it.
  #5063  
Old 07-22-2016, 04:35 PM
Jack Batty's Avatar
Jack Batty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Astral Plane.
Posts: 15,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Every time you catch yourself telling us what liberals believe, think "Hmmm, I've created a strawman here. And probably an offensive strawman. Why don't I just take that phrase out? Because I care about whether I'm just making stuff up or not."
Well he knows what Americans believe, want, feel, think, what they're afraid of and who they trust. He tells us all the fucking time. Now, liberals being a subset of Americans, of course he can tell us what liberals believe. It's like one of those QED thingies.
  #5064  
Old 07-22-2016, 04:49 PM
DerekMichaels00 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,337
stupid liberal idea of the day:Tim Kaine isn't liberal enough to be on Hillary's ticket.
  #5065  
Old 07-22-2016, 04:56 PM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Why do you say this crap? Do you think it's true when you're typing it, or are you just trying to get a dig in on liberals?
It's heartbreaking. Every time he has a moment of lucidity, letting us think the fever has finally broken, he relapses into this partisan-bubble yeehawing. But then he has another moment of lucidity, and our hopes are once again renewed.
  #5066  
Old 07-22-2016, 05:16 PM
Fear Itself is offline
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
stupid liberal idea of the day:Tim Kaine isn't liberal enough to be on Hillary's ticket.
You know, the whole thing with these "of the day" threads is you post a link to an example of the stupidity of the day. And usually, it is a politician or pundit being pilloried, not some faceless prole with a goofy opinion. If all you have is just a vague caricature of a liberal cribbed from a tighty righty radio show, it's really not very entertaining, nor particularly vexing for your political adversaries. So why don't you go back to Google News and try again.

Last edited by Fear Itself; 07-22-2016 at 05:17 PM.
  #5067  
Old 07-22-2016, 05:46 PM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,071
If nominating Tim Whatshisface increases the chances of a total wipeout of TrumpCo in Nov. I am totally on board. Deal with the present emergency, squabble later.
  #5068  
Old 07-22-2016, 05:50 PM
DerekMichaels00 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
You know, the whole thing with these "of the day" threads is you post a link to an example of the stupidity of the day. And usually, it is a politician or pundit being pilloried, not some faceless prole with a goofy opinion. If all you have is just a vague caricature of a liberal cribbed from a tighty righty radio show, it's really not very entertaining, nor particularly vexing for your political adversaries. So why don't you go back to Google News and try again.
go on Daily Kos or DemUndergroud if you wanna see what I mean.
  #5069  
Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Contrary to the modern liberal belief, it is not breaking any laws you feel like as an expression of protest.
Cliven Bundy: Modern Liberal.


Scratch that... Cliven Bundy: Modern Liberal Hero!
  #5070  
Old 07-22-2016, 05:59 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
go on Daily Kos or DemUndergroud if you wanna see what I mean.
If it's not worth linking to, then it's not worth posting about.
  #5071  
Old 07-22-2016, 06:03 PM
DerekMichaels00 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
If it's not worth linking to, then it's not worth posting about.
here it is, from the head of Daily Kos himself.

I used to be a hardcore Dem, until 2009. Because of this kind of purity thing, and I used to post there back in 2008-2010 (as well as opening my eyes to the true nature of radical Islam, which of course DKos is far-left on), I drifted to the center, tho not quite to the right.
  #5072  
Old 07-22-2016, 06:11 PM
Fear Itself is offline
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
I used to be a hardcore Dem, until 2009. Because of this kind of purity thing, and I used to post there back in 2008-2010 (as well as opening my eyes to the true nature of radical Islam, which of course DKos is far-left on), I drifted to the center, tho not quite to the right.
OK, I'll bite; what is the far-left position on radical Islam?

Last edited by Fear Itself; 07-22-2016 at 06:11 PM.
  #5073  
Old 07-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,323
Explain to me how not getting excited about Tim Kaine is stupid.
  #5074  
Old 07-22-2016, 06:16 PM
Biffy the Elephant Shrew is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Over on the left
Posts: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
OK, I'll bite; what is the far-left position on radical Islam?
It's peachy-keen; sharia law is A-OK; and terrorists should be coddled. Didn't you get the memo?
  #5075  
Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,323
And the more we let into the country, the better.
  #5076  
Old 07-22-2016, 06:22 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
here it is, from the head of Daily Kos himself.

I used to be a hardcore Dem, until 2009. Because of this kind of purity thing, and I used to post there back in 2008-2010 (as well as opening my eyes to the true nature of radical Islam, which of course DKos is far-left on), I drifted to the center, tho not quite to the right.
Thanks.
Just to explain something, I went to the KOS front page. No Kaine story.
Did a search for "Tim Kaine". A long list of articles, several of which might have been what you were talking about.
  #5077  
Old 07-22-2016, 07:03 PM
TonySinclair is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Missed this earlier -- I'll add to digs pile on.

What a load of fucking bullshit nonsense. Pathetic lazy cowardly crap. Stop with this straw-man shit.

Why do you say this crap? Do you think it's true when you're typing it, or are you just trying to get a dig in on liberals?

Stop it.
But it's what right wingnuts do. It's all they have.

Tune in to the Dem convention next week, and you will see them opposing actual Republican planks --- tax cuts for the rich; restriction of voter rights, abortion rights, and LGBT rights; rollback of environmental and worker protection; etc.

Tune in to the Rep convention last week, and you saw them opposing made-up bullshit ----
abolishing the second amendment; unrestricted terrorist immigration; gutting the military; and hating cops. Not to mention giving all our secrets to Russia and murdering our ambassadors.

ETA: to be fair, they do oppose an actual thing, namely Obamacare. Why it enrages Republicans to see millions of previously uninsured Americans to have affordable health care, I don't know, but it does.

Last edited by TonySinclair; 07-22-2016 at 07:05 PM.
  #5078  
Old 07-22-2016, 07:11 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post

ETA: to be fair, they do oppose an actual thing, namely Obamacare. Why it enrages Republicans to see millions of previously uninsured Americans to have affordable health care, I don't know, but it does.
Why are Republicans so afraid to call it by it's proper name-Romneycare?

Last edited by running coach; 07-22-2016 at 07:12 PM.
  #5079  
Old 07-22-2016, 07:14 PM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Because its original name was Hillarycare.
  #5080  
Old 07-22-2016, 10:01 PM
Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
I used to be a hardcore Dem, until 2009. Because of this kind of purity thing, and I used to post there back in 2008-2010 (as well as opening my eyes to the true nature of radical Islam, which of course DKos is far-left on), I drifted to the center, tho not quite to the right.
I have it on good authority that the Democratic Party collectively cries its soft, feminine blue eyes out every night to have lost a leading intellectual light such as yourself, and is ready to move mountains to sway you back to their side. You and your vote are that important, Derek, and don't you ever for one moment think otherwise.
  #5081  
Old 07-22-2016, 11:36 PM
Punoqllads is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Silly Cone Valley, CA
Posts: 3,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Because its original name was Hillarycare.
Ahem. Nixoncare.
  #5082  
Old 07-22-2016, 11:43 PM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,071
Stretching the outer limits of oxymoron.
  #5083  
Old 07-23-2016, 03:48 AM
Jack Batty's Avatar
Jack Batty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Astral Plane.
Posts: 15,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punoqllads View Post
Ahem. Nixoncare.
Jesuscare.

Top that!
  #5084  
Old 07-23-2016, 05:56 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punoqllads View Post
Ahem. Nixoncare.
And before that, Trumancare. Before that, Teddycare. But originally Bismarckcare.

So it was long overdue.
  #5085  
Old 07-23-2016, 06:43 AM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
And before that, Trumancare. Before that, Teddycare. But originally Bismarckcare.

So it was long overdue.
Noahcare. Started out as a family business.
  #5086  
Old 07-23-2016, 06:43 AM
DerekMichaels00 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
OK, I'll bite; what is the far-left position on radical Islam?
that using the term "is bad because 'demonizes' Islam," the "daylight" between America and Israel would lower terrorism, all the stuff this article lays out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
I have it on good authority that the Democratic Party collectively cries its soft, feminine blue eyes out every night to have lost a leading intellectual light such as yourself, and is ready to move mountains to sway you back to their side. You and your vote are that important, Derek, and don't you ever for one moment think otherwise.
Even for your dickery to me, Democrat party registration has dropped a decent amount since Obama took office; he beat his opponent for re-election by a smaller than his first election, a first since Woodrow Wilson. The Democrats' Jewish margin went from +57% down to +39%, and Jewish voters are concentrated in swing states and since they're largely successful capitalist winners, so went a lot of campaign contributions.

Last edited by DerekMichaels00; 07-23-2016 at 06:44 AM.
  #5087  
Old 07-23-2016, 07:12 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
Even for your dickery to me, Democrat party registration has dropped a decent amount since Obama took office; he beat his opponent for re-election by a smaller than his first election, a first since Woodrow Wilson. The Democrats' Jewish margin went from +57% down to +39%, and Jewish voters are concentrated in swing states and since they're largely successful capitalist winners, so went a lot of campaign contributions.
Obama went from landslide to big win... hardly a negative accomplishment. It would have been almost impossible to do better than '08 -- which states could he have won?
  #5088  
Old 07-23-2016, 07:18 AM
Fear Itself is offline
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
that using the term "is bad because 'demonizes' Islam," the "daylight" between America and Israel would lower terrorism, all the stuff this article lays out.
So you don't have any thoughts of your own on what the "far left" thinks about radical Islam? Other than a semantic gotcha? C'mon, throw us a bone here; I want to debate you, not some columnist I don't know. What does the real DerekMichaels00 think about this?
  #5089  
Old 07-23-2016, 09:18 AM
Nars Glinley is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sweeping down the plain.
Posts: 5,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Noahcare. Started out as a family business.


Turtlecare. All the way down.
__________________
I've decided to spend more time criticizing things I don't understand. - Dogbert
  #5090  
Old 07-23-2016, 09:21 AM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
Turtlecare. All the way down.
That was just a shell corporation for Big Bang Clinics, Inc.
  #5091  
Old 07-23-2016, 09:58 AM
elucidator is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
...Jewish voters are concentrated in swing states and since they're largely successful capitalist winners...
Uh, what? They are? Oh. Well, OK then. Settles that.
  #5092  
Old 07-23-2016, 11:34 AM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Obama went from landslide to big win... hardly a negative accomplishment. It would have been almost impossible to do better than '08 -- which states could he have won?
It irritated me that he and the DNC didn't try harder to hold NC, IN, and MO in '12 too. Even if they weren't needed, it might get them more habituated to voting Democratic. Tilting the needle to the blue side, if only barely, in FL and VA does sort of make up for that, but Dean's 50-state approach needs to be more widely embraced.
  #5093  
Old 07-23-2016, 11:49 AM
DerekMichaels00 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Obama went from landslide to big win... hardly a negative accomplishment. It would have been almost impossible to do better than '08 -- which states could he have won?
Obama won by less than 7.8 in 2008; Bill won by 8.5 in 1996, Reagan by 18% in 1984, etc. 2008 was decisive, but not a landslide. And Clinton, Reagan, Nixon all won by more their second time than their first time. As did Ike, FDR too.

In the first place, in 2008, Hillary had a shot of winning the blue wall states (something that Bill Clinton built, and all Obama did was piggyback off) plus states Bill won that Obama got smoked in, like WV, LA, KY, TN AR, as well as standard swing states like NV, FL, OH, formerly MO as well. Now, WV, LA, AR, TN, and KY are out of reach for the Dems both because of Trump but also because of Obama's divisiveness when talking about race, tho yea maybe Obama suffered in those states because of racism itself. Yea Hillary '08 might not have won that electoral vote in NE, but who cares.
  #5094  
Old 07-23-2016, 12:41 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
Obama won by less than 7.8 in 2008; Bill won by 8.5 in 1996, Reagan by 18% in 1984, etc. 2008 was decisive, but not a landslide. And Clinton, Reagan, Nixon all won by more their second time than their first time. As did Ike, FDR too.

In the first place, in 2008, Hillary had a shot of winning the blue wall states (something that Bill Clinton built, and all Obama did was piggyback off) plus states Bill won that Obama got smoked in, like WV, LA, KY, TN AR, as well as standard swing states like NV, FL, OH, formerly MO as well. Now, WV, LA, AR, TN, and KY are out of reach for the Dems both because of Trump but also because of Obama's divisiveness when talking about race, tho yea maybe Obama suffered in those states because of racism itself. Yea Hillary '08 might not have won that electoral vote in NE, but who cares.
"Divisiveness" = he's black. Yes, some people (e.g. bigots) find the idea of a black President divisive... that doesn't mean it's legitimate.

You can always find ways to diminish Obama if you want, but that's a reflection of you and your bigotry, not of him. Pretty much everything you've criticized him for has been based on bullshit or innuendo or his ancestry, not fact.
  #5095  
Old 07-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
because of Obama's divisiveness when talking about race,
God you people are evil. We have a problem with race in this country. Just look at how the white supremacists are openly supporting Trump and not one word of repudiation. Yet you people blame a black president for 'dividing' the country because he's black and somehow that might be important in a nation with a lot of racism. What would NOT have been "divisive"? If the word "black" had not once passed his lips during his entire presidency, I'm quite sure you "stop Obama at all costs!" assholes would STILL claim he is divisive just because he's black and a Democrat.
  #5096  
Old 07-23-2016, 03:24 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
That form is practiced here in Minnesota!

"What do we want"
"Justice!"
"When do we want it?
"Well, pretty soon, if its not a lot of trouble!"

A pity those crazy radicals calling themselves "The Sons of Liberty" didn't hear about this. God Save the Queen is a much better tune than the Star Spangled Banner.
Of course, My Country 'Tis of Thee is a much, much better tune than God Save the Queen, even as good a musician as John J. Lydon is.
  #5097  
Old 07-23-2016, 03:53 PM
DerekMichaels00 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
God you people are evil. We have a problem with race in this country. Just look at how the white supremacists are openly supporting Trump and not one word of repudiation. Yet you people blame a black president for 'dividing' the country because he's black and somehow that might be important in a nation with a lot of racism. What would NOT have been "divisive"? If the word "black" had not once passed his lips during his entire presidency, I'm quite sure you "stop Obama at all costs!" assholes would STILL claim he is divisive just because he's black and a Democrat.
I understand the temptation for a guy like Obama to speak from the black man's perspective; but as President of the US, he is supposed to represent the whole country, white, black, and the others. This country is still majority white. Also, he has a duty to wait for the facts to be in, not saying "if I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon." Nor should he have commented on Henry Louis Gates until facts were known. Nor should his AG called America a "nation of cowards."
  #5098  
Old 07-23-2016, 03:58 PM
Icerigger's Avatar
Icerigger is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 3,422
I would like to know the difference between sharia law and biblical law the Republican base cares so much about.
  #5099  
Old 07-23-2016, 04:00 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 35,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
I understand the temptation for a guy like Obama to speak from the black man's perspective; but as President of the US, he is supposed to represent the whole country, white, black, and the others.
And he's said nothing that contradicts this.

Quote:
This country is still majority white.
What does this have to do with anything? He's never said anything anti-white in his entire time in office.

Quote:
Also, he has a duty to wait for the facts to be in, not saying "if I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon."
What does "if I had a son..." have to do with not waiting for facts to be in? There's no connection except in your ignorant and bigoted anti-Obama fantasies.
  #5100  
Old 07-23-2016, 04:33 PM
Frank is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 20,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
Nor should his AG called America a "nation of cowards."
Context of your Holder quote:
Quote:
Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards. Though race related issues continue to occupy a significant portion of our political discussion, and though there remain many unresolved racial issues in this nation, we, average Americans, simply do not talk enough with each other about race. It is an issue we have never been at ease with and given our nationís history this is in some ways understandable. And yet, if we are to make progress in this area we must feel comfortable enough with one another, and tolerant enough of each other, to have frank conversations about the racial matters that continue to divide us.
I shouldn't be surprised. You specialize in misleading and bullshit innuendo.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017