Old 07-23-2016, 04:42 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerigger View Post
I would like to know the difference between sharia law and biblical law the Republican base cares so much about.
There isn't any beyond Christian=good, Muslim=bad.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerigger View Post
I would like to know the difference between sharia law and biblical law the Republican base cares so much about.
Not much. Punish a rape victim? Check. No prohibition of slavery, polygamy, or pedophilia? Check. Kill gays? Check. Death penalty for all kinds of trivial offenses, like gathering sticks for a fire on the Sabbath? Check.

The difference in practice is that Muslims seem to take their Holy Scriptures seriously, while most Christians and many Jews feel free to consider the Law a series of suggestions for them to pick and choose from.

Luckily, despite the best efforts of the right wingnuts, we now have separation of Church and State in the west. But as the Middle Ages clearly show, a Christian theocracy, or even a kingdom that took the Bible seriously, would be just as oppressive as a Muslim theocracy. For Jews, it was usually worse, which is why so many Jews fled Christian countries for the more tolerant Muslim regimes.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:07 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
There isn't any beyond Christian=good, Muslim=bad.
What is bad, is either side saying their religious law supersedes constitutional law. It happens frequently in the US.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
What is bad, is either side saying their religious law supersedes constitutional law. It happens frequently in the US.
And Cruz has a goal of making it permanent.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Context of your Holder quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Holder
Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards. Though race related issues continue to occupy a significant portion of our political discussion, and though there remain many unresolved racial issues in this nation, we, average Americans, simply do not talk enough with each other about race. It is an issue we have never been at ease with and given our nation’s history this is in some ways understandable. And yet, if we are to make progress in this area we must feel comfortable enough with one another, and tolerant enough of each other, to have frank conversations about the racial matters that continue to divide us.

I shouldn't be surprised. You specialize in misleading and bullshit innuendo.
I know that Holder was talking about race, which is why I consider that an unnecessary polarizing comment he should've known would make members of the country's racial majority offender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii
What does "if I had a son..." have to do with not waiting for facts to be in? There's no connection except in your ignorant and bigoted anti-Obama fantasies.
Because that comment implies that what the kid looked like factored into what happened rather than what he might have been doing.

And honestly, your party and ideology line defense of Obama fails. You tend to see everything thru that lens a lot.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
Because that comment implies that what the kid looked like factored into what happened rather than what he might have been doing.
No it doesn't, you ignorant bigot. It implies that Obama feels sympathy for the boy's family.

Quote:
And honestly, your party and ideology line defense of Obama fails. You tend to see everything thru that lens a lot.
I see it through reality, while you see it through an ignorant and bigoted fantasy.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
No it doesn't, you ignorant bigot. It implies that Obama feels sympathy for the boy's family.

I see it through reality, while you see it through an ignorant and bigoted fantasy.
is there any criticism of Obama's approach to race that is NOT bigoted, to you? I'm not one of these conservatives who think racism is all gone, but I'm not one of these liberals who thinks every criticism of Obama or his approach to race is racist.

Oh and yea, today, I registered in my state as an independent, in part because of far-left types like yourself. I'll still prob vote for Hillary (bc I don't want America losing its pre-eminence in the world to Russia with Trump or ruining relations with our neighbor) but if this purge of moderates is what people like you want, reap what you sow; thats in part why I'll split my ticket for GOP senate/house candidates in my district. I'm still a DLC/Third Way Democrat at heart, but folks like you don't want us. We're not pure enough.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
is there any criticism of Obama's approach to race that is NOT bigoted, to you? I'm not one of these conservatives who think racism is all gone, but I'm not one of these liberals who thinks every criticism of Obama or his approach to race is racist.
Sure. If you didn't have such a consistent record on this board of ignorance and bigotry, I'd consider that maybe your arguments weren't based on bigotry. But you have that, due to your posts -- you've consistently repeated vile and overtly bigoted statements (mostly against trans people), and you've consistently posted veiled bigoted statements about Obama in particular (hinting at a foreignness or a lack of patriotism), without the backing of any of his actual statements.

Quote:
Oh and yea, today, I registered in my state as an independent, in part because of far-left types like yourself. I'll still prob vote for Hillary (bc I don't want America losing its pre-eminence in the world to Russia with Trump or ruining relations with our neighbor) but if this purge of moderates is what people like you want, reap what you sow; thats in part why I'll split my ticket for GOP senate/house candidates in my district. I'm still a DLC/Third Way Democrat at heart, but folks like you don't want us. We're not pure enough.
The loss of ignorant bigots from the Democratic party doesn't concern me that much. You're a rare ignorant bigot -- a young one... most of the bigots the Democratic party has lost in recent years were old.

But you're still a bigot, at least based on the things you post on this board. It's not your DLC/Third Way or lack of progressive beliefs that concern me, it's the consistency with which you repeat nonsense, despite being corrected over and over again, as well as the plain vile bigotry you spout about trans people. There are plenty of moderate or conservative Democrats that I have no problem with, because they don't regularly say bigoted things, or consistently repeat disproven nonsense.

But that ain't you. If you don't want to be called a bigot, don't post bigoted things. If you don't want to be called ignorant, quit repeating disproven nonsense.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I understand the temptation for a guy like Obama to speak from the black man's perspective; but as President of the US, he is supposed to represent the whole country, white, black, and the others. This country is still majority white. Also, he has a duty to wait for the facts to be in, not saying "if I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon." Nor should he have commented on Henry Louis Gates until facts were known. Nor should his AG called America a "nation of cowards."
You Republicans squirm and whine horribly when someone isn't a white male christian republican.

Tell me, how did George Bush "represent" blacks, gays and atheists during his Presidency? I mean, you just said he has to represent the whole country.

Or are you saying the President has to be white and represent white people because the majority of the country is white?
Old 07-23-2016, 06:48 PM

Congressman Chris Duffy says that we should vote for Trump because he represents white men.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't, you ignorant bigot. ...
Quote:
Oh and yea, today, I registered in my state as an independent, in part because of far-left types like yourself.
Way to go iiandyiiii, Registered Democrats have just lost the chance to have as their own this true voice of stupidity. I hope you're pleased.

Last edited by bobot; 07-23-2016 at 07:15 PM. Reason: this
Old 07-25-2016, 10:37 AM

So by now, we've all heard that Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is stepping down as DNC chair and her role at the convention will be reduced. This was following Russian hacked DNC emails released by Wikileaks showing that she and others in the DNC favored Clinton and worked to get her elected instead of Sanders.

That's the stupid part. They should have trusted the process and not done it so overtly and have it blow up in their faces which they should have known would happen.

However, in her defense, Sanders is an Independent with liberal views. I don't think its a big deal to have the DEMOCRATIC national committee favor an actual Democrat. Like Nixon, its the coverup, not the crime, that is the big deal. I've no problems with the DNC favoring one candidate or another, and I certainly don't think a reflexive elimination of super delegates is the answer, though that might help to calm the mob.

It was a small mistake on the part of DWS that blew up into a bigger thing and that is where the stupid is. Favoring Clinton is fine
Old 07-25-2016, 10:41 AM

There are ways to favor someone and ways you shouldn't. setting up the debates to favor Clinton, and worse doing it because she had no faith in Clinton, was just stupid as hell.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:00 AM

Yep -- DWS was dumb, and especially since all her shenanigans probably hurt Clinton more than they helped her. She did great in the debates, and more debates would have been fine.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:05 AM

Didn't they end up just having a lot more debates anyway? I recall a lot more than six.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:53 PM

Dammit, Bernie supporters are marching through the streets of Philadelphia chanting "Lock her up" and booing Bernie when he calls for unity.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yep -- DWS was dumb, and especially since all her shenanigans probably hurt Clinton more than they helped her. She did great in the debates, and more debates would have been fine.
DWS got her payoff, though. Booted out of her job with the DNC and immediately hired by Hillary.

Gotta love it.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
DWS got her payoff, though. Booted out of her job with the DNC and immediately hired by Hillary.

Gotta love it.
I do love it -- hired as honorary chair, an incredibly prestigious position held by the likes of Eva Longoria and Lincoln Chaffee in 2012. Truly an important (and unpaid) political position.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Well, the honorary chair in the Republican Party means you get to share a stage with Clint Eastwood.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:15 PM

Clothy's "contributions" to this thread almost always feature distortion of the truth or flat out falsehoods. Here's another example, yawn.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
Clothy's "contributions" to this thread almost always feature distortion of the truth or flat out falsehoods. Here's another example, yawn.
Well, he's angry, misinformed, and stupid. That's not a recipe for insightful contributions to public discourse.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobohan View Post
Well, he's angry, misinformed, and stupid. That's not a recipe for insightful contributions to public discourse.
Indeed not. More's the pity. Liberals need their actual stupidity called out as much as anyone.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:21 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post

Gotta love it.
Actually, I agree with this one.

Immediately bringing on Schultz showed a remarkable amount of tone deafness. The press is eating it up, and Bernie supporters are even more pissed. At the very least, they should have waited until after the convention to bring her over.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Being an "honorary" anything means a little less than being voted "Miss Congeniality".
Old 07-26-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Being an "honorary" anything means a little less than being voted "Miss Congeniality".
Agreed. But that's all the more reason they didn't need to do it. No one was crying over loosing her, and thus no reason to offer her a bone.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:29 AM

Hillary appointing DWS to an honorary position was for one valid political and governing reason -- loyalty and friendship should mean one isn't totally thrown under the bus. This means that other future staffers and those in the orbit of the Clintons will look to DWS as an example of the generosity of Hillary -- even when things get tough, and you've probably still screwed up, she'll still have a place for you as long as you've remained loyal to her.

Maybe it's cynical, but leaders need people like that who they can trust, and who trust them, and totally abandoning DWS could make it more likely that some of her people abandon her in the future if the going gets tough.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Agreed. But that's all the more reason they didn't need to do it. No one was crying over loosing her, and thus no reason to offer her a bone.
She is going pretty quietly. That has value to Clinton.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:26 PM

http://www.reparations.me/

This thread should be locked, because I can't imagine any liberal idea stupider than that.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post

This thread should be locked, because I can't imagine any liberal idea stupider than that.
Yeah, it's a really horrible idea.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

It's only a stupid idea to a sociopath.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Can you please explain why? Or did you just see the page title and not read what it's about?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
Yeah, it's a really horrible idea.
The original post has nothing to do with this.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
The original post has nothing to do with this.
Right. Reparations has nothing to do with reparations. Silly me.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I am sure that Montenegro is all fine now that it has severed itself from Serbia and Yugoslavia in 2006 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.me

But I still won’t let javascript through for that site, and clicking on it with my browser settings just gives me a wall of weird hyperlinks, so I can not read anything on it.

If you would be so kind as to summarize or quote the stupid liberal parts you want talk about, that would help me out a lot, thanks!
Old 07-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can you please explain why? Or did you just see the page title and not read what it's about?
He never explains anything. The effort would cripple him.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTapTwo View Post
Sorry, I am sure that Montenegro is all fine now that it has severed itself from Serbia and Yugoslavia in 2006 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.me

But I still won’t let javascript through for that site, and clicking on it with my browser settings just gives me a wall of weird hyperlinks, so I can not read anything on it.

If you would be so kind as to summarize or quote the stupid liberal parts you want talk about, that would help me out a lot, thanks!
From the About page.
Quote:
Natasha Marin is a conceptual artist working across disciplines and media to collaborate with People to create opportunities for meaningful IRL and digital engagement.

Reparations began as a social media experiment on Facebook on July 15, 2016.

What if you actually did something meaningful for someone before the end of the year?

What if a stranger restored your belief in humanity, if only for a moment, by supporting you and allowing you to claim something you need in a material way?

I invite People of Color to ask for what we need to feel better, be happier, be more productive by posting in this space. These may be both material and immaterial requests.

I invite people who identify as White to offer services or contributions to People of Color in need of time, energy, substantive care, and support.
It's supposed to be some sort of social experiment.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:07 PM
BANNED

new stupid liberal idea of the day: yelling "no more war" at Leon Panetta from the Bernie Bolsheviks.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
Right. Reparations has nothing to do with reparations. Silly me.
reparations.me is a web page where people can hook up to do things for each other. It isn't about reparations. But once again, you obviously haven't bothered to look at the page.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTapTwo View Post

This is one of the offers on the page:

Quote:
#OFFER: I would like to offer pet sitting on the weekends in San Francisco, cooking and food delivery when folks are sick, and I have a car if one needs a ride somewhere.
If I can help, I want to help.
Connect
Old 07-27-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
This is one of the offers on the page:
Sickos!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I did read the website. Uptight white liberals are offering cooking lessons as reparations. Seriously, the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 PM

So it is some artsy social experiment that hopes it will become something akin to a race-gated GoFundMe/Pay-It-Forward? Eeeh..., sure, whatever.

Can we agree that all charity is good charity? If this type of guilt is what it takes for some people to do good deeds for others, then I thank Natasha Marin for creating something that made the world slightly more kind and thoughtful.

Certainly every type of charity can, and will, be abused; but even if only one person was genuinely helped out of their hole, is that not worth it? What is the alternative, never lend aid to anyone ever? Constantly breath down the neck of the charity case and keep him on a short leash, until he is a proper productive citizen again?

That is a legitimate stance, just as the opposite is. That is the beauty of society, each individual can weigh in with their thoughts and actions and do as they please. Each individual can learn from their own experience, and those around them, about how they should best act. We are all just singular data-points on how (not) to live a good life, how we are all collected and analyzed by others is how they learn to act in their own life.

So while you might have been burned by past “mistakes” and jaded by the results of your own charity, other equally valid viewpoints have lived different lives that led to them being fine with charity. Or at least, will begrudgingly give when their white guilt button is pressed. Either way, good is being done to others.

I accept and acknowledge your experiences that led you to believe that race-gating GoFundMe is a stupid idea. I agree with your points. I also accept that the people on both sides of this social experiment are going in of their own free will and making other lives better than if this site had not existed, if only for the moment. I agree that it is sad that some people will not actively care about others unless they are guilted into it; and that it is sad that a site that explicitly race-gates the charity actually has users giving above and beyond what they already do on GoFundMe. But, I am glad that more good works have been squeezed out people.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I did read the website. Uptight white liberals are offering cooking lessons as reparations. Seriously, the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
What gives you the idea that they're liberals? And what makes them uptight? And you're really hung up on the NAME of the page and not the content, aren't you?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
What gives you the idea that they're liberals?
You can't be serious.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:21 PM

whatever. You don't answer questions with anything approaching sense, so I will disengage.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You can't be serious.
He is. And stop calling him Yahoo.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
new stupid liberal idea of the day: yelling "no more war" at Leon Panetta from the Bernie Bolsheviks.
For sure; this deserves to be here.

ETA: D'Anconia epitomizes what is wrong with America. Knee-jerk reaction, total lack of compassion, deluded world view.

Last edited by Knorf; 07-27-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach
He is. And stop calling him Yahoo.
??? I went back 3 pages and the word “yahoo” was never used. When did D’Anconia call Rick Kitchen Yahoo?

Certainly “liberal” and “conservative” are big enough tents that some “fiscal conservatives” can still have enough white guilt in them to use reparations.me , or maybe they for whatever reason want to just target their help to an African-american in just this instance.

There are so many types of conservative, some at odds with “core” party platforms, as “log cabin republicans” can be the conservatively-marginalized gay class, yet still care more about the financial issues and care about other conservative issues.

Thus, while unlikely, I can see why a conservative in the general sense might still use this site.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:40 PM

Calling them Bolsheviks isn't correct, though.

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 07-27-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 PM
BANNED

Obama gave a decent speech, but I did not like the shoutout to the un-American hijab, or putting killing cops in the same sentence as the experience of some non-whites.