Old 10-18-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph View Post
Is it bad that whenever this thread is bumped, I, as a liberal, actually look forward to seeing what the poutrage du jour is?
It's perfectly normal, since this is essentially what Clothy has been doing in this thread for years.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Its the "Obambola Virus". Try to keep up, guys.....
My Jamaican colleagues were discussing the ongoing outbreak of the chikungunya virus in their homeland and then switched to discussion of Ebola. The resulting linguist slip followed and the Chickenbola virus was thus born.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobohan View Post
Your anger makes you lash out incoherently too often. If you'd just open yourself to reality, you'd find out that your anger is based on myths and second hand stories.
Sigh. Lobo, give it up. You don't know shit about what I think or feel, so stop trying to second-guess me. And above all, stop with the bullshit deflections because you can't handle the fact that I am right the vast majority of the time.

This topic is a perfect example. I pointed out that Obama fucked up seriously yet again. Rather than discuss that, you'd rather whine about me being so "angry". Your ad hominem responses are lame and worthless.

My question to you is this: why the hell aren't you pissed off about it as well? You should be. But no....it's more important to whine about ol' Clothy being the Big Bad for pointing it out.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
And yet you keep hitting Enter.
Read my response to Lobo - applies to you as well.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
I pointed out that Obama fucked up seriously yet again.
Except he didn't.
As has been pointed out numerous times what is required in this position is an administrator.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:36 AM

I clicked on the little arrows to follow this string of replies back to its origin. Here's what I got:

Quote:
NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
This my favorite post by you, ever.
Quote:
Understandable. It was only two letters long, which is about the limit of comprehension of the majority of posters on this board.
Quote:
Your anger makes you lash out incoherently too often. If you'd just open yourself to reality, you'd find out that your anger is based on myths and second hand stories.
Quote:
Sigh. Lobo, give it up. You don't know shit about what I think or feel, so stop trying to second-guess me. And above all, stop with the bullshit deflections because you can't handle the fact that I am right the vast majority of the time.

This topic is a perfect example. I pointed out that Obama fucked up seriously yet again. Rather than discuss that, you'd rather whine about me being so "angry". Your ad hominem responses are lame and worthless.

My question to you is this: why the hell aren't you pissed off about it as well? You should be. But no....it's more important to whine about ol' Clothy being the Big Bad for pointing it out.
If "NM" is your way of pointing out that "Obama fucked up seriously yet again", that may shed some light on why more people aren't following your cogent political analysis on this board.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:56 AM

Clothy's entire life is a Dunning-Kruger case study.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:17 PM

It must be nice, in some ways, to live in a simple world where the guy in the position is a fuck up before he has a chance to do anything, much less anything substantive, because Fox told you what you think. That's some deep independent thought, there.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
{...} I am right the vast majority of the time. {...}
No, I believe you're right all the time . . . the problem is how often you're correct.

CMC fnord!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:05 AM

Sally Kohn blames rhetoric against government for government's poor performance:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/18/opinio...ent/index.html

She also includes an argument against austerity, which is kind of strange since austerity has never happened. The CDC's budget has nearly doubled since 2000. Problem is, they have experienced "mission creep", extending their purview into child safety seats, guns, and obesity.

The CDC's mission is to protect America from pandemics. Taking on other missions is why the CDC's effectiveness is suffering, and why the effectiveness of most government agencies sucks. focus them on their actual priorities and things will get better. Blaming Republican rhetoric rather than Democrats' wanting the government do have 10,000 "top priorities" is the stupid liberal idea of the day.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Sally Kohn blames rhetoric against government for government's poor performance:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/18/opinio...ent/index.html

She also includes an argument against austerity, which is kind of strange since austerity has never happened. The CDC's budget has nearly doubled since 2000. Problem is, they have experienced "mission creep", extending their purview into child safety seats, guns, and obesity.

The CDC's mission is to protect America from pandemics. Taking on other missions is why the CDC's effectiveness is suffering, and why the effectiveness of most government agencies sucks. focus them on their actual priorities and things will get better. Blaming Republican rhetoric rather than Democrats' wanting the government do have 10,000 "top priorities" is the stupid liberal idea of the day.
More bullshit from adaher. (And don't forget that this is the same adaher who praised the GOP for arbitrarily slashing in half Obama's first Ebola-related request, a detailed plan prepared by experts.) The "mission creep" he speaks of is only 5% of CDC's budget or so. The "gun violence research" which the GOP is so upset about works out to less than 3 cents per American -- the GOP will spend more than that running ads complaining about this "waste of taxpayer funds."

I won't bother to Google to see whether "CDC's budget has nearly doubled since 2000"; more relevant to addressing adaher's asinine ignorance is that CDC's budget is less than it was when Obama took office.

Perhaps adaher misread the thread title and thought he was supposed to post a stupid idea about liberals.

Last edited by septimus; 10-20-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:16 AM

Yes the CDC's decision to not send a team to Dallas or let that nurse board a plane was because of budget cuts and Republican criticism.

So yeah, stupid liberal idea.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Yes the CDC's decision to not send a team to Dallas or let that nurse board a plane was because of budget cuts and Republican criticism.

So yeah, stupid liberal idea.
The CDC is liberal?

ETA Oh yeah, right. Science. Carry on.

Last edited by Biggirl; 10-20-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 AM

No, Sally Kohn is liberal, and she thinks government would work better if only it wasn't "starved" with only $3.5 trillion, and if only people would just stop criticizing it.

Not to single Kohn out, as this has essentially been the liberal argument for why government doesn't do its job very well for about 50 years. It's always needing more money and more moral support.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I clicked on the little arrows to follow this string of replies back to its origin. Here's what I got:

If "NM" is your way of pointing out that "Obama fucked up seriously yet again", that may shed some light on why more people aren't following your cogent political analysis on this board.
You didn't follow the thread far enough back. The NM post was one that I had submitted that I deleted after reflection. Since I couldn't physically delete it, I simply edited it to read NM.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
The CDC is liberal?
I fucking hope so. I don't want them trying to fight AIDS with Bible Camp, lobbying in favor HPV, or any other dumb ass shit like that.

Last edited by Darth Panda; 10-20-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
You didn't follow the thread far enough back. The NM post was one that I had submitted that I deleted after reflection. Since I couldn't physically delete it, I simply edited it to read NM.
I understand what "NM" means in a post, I really do.

I've scrolled all the way back to September 1st. There's nothing from you before "NM" that even remotely justifies this:
Quote:
I'll tell you what I think happened. You posted something on the 15th, deleted it, and that started the chain of posts I already quoted. On the 17th you posted about Obama appointing an Ebola czar. In responding to Lobohan's comment on the first topic, you treated it as if it was part of the second.

Not a big deal, and perhaps a bit nitpicky of me to point it out, just thought it would be worth a try to untangle things and see what the response would be.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Not to single Kohn out, as this has essentially been the liberal argument for why government doesn't do its job very well for about 50 years. It's always needing more money and more moral support.
This is utter bullshit. There's not a single actual liberal argument about which you have the least fucking clue.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Sigh. Lobo, give it up. You don't know shit about what I think or feel, so stop trying to second-guess me.
I know what you write. And what you write is the seething vitriol of someone who can't believe that once again the evil ones are getting away with something!11

Because you take in information from a partisan source and live in an echo chamber, you think your beliefs simply can't be wrong. But consider this, you're an atheist in Texas. You know how those silly big-box-church people are, with their smug sense that they're right, and that their facts are unassailable?

You're in the same trap, only with conservative media. In all honestly, Obama isn't perfect, but he's not trying to steal our guns, steal elections through voter fraud, give welfare to illegal aliens, or whatever. In all honestly, global warming is supported by the vast vast majority of climate scientists. Over 97%. They argue over the details, but the overall thrust, that the world is warming because we burn carbon is very well supported by the evidence. What you said once about the Sun heating up and Mars experiencing the same amount as us, just isn't true. It's a lie that was sold to you, just like the lies that the Rolex wearing preachers are spewing on Sunday.

Quote:
And above all, stop with the bullshit deflections because you can't handle the fact that I am right the vast majority of the time.
Honestly, I try not to lie. If you were right all the time, I would change my position. I'm a "lefty" but I like nuclear power. Because I looked it up and did research on it. If you're right about something, show me and I'll do my best to come around. If I argue with you, it's not because I think you're right, and I want to win anyway. I don't deserve to win if I'm not right.

Quote:
This is an example of you being swayed by the packaging of the story. On FOX, or Mark Levin, or The Free Republic, or wherever you heard about it, someone rolled their eyes and said, "Can you believe it, Obama chose an administrator and not a DOCTOR?!!?!"

But that's silly. In reality, administration a large medical project doesn't require that you be a doctor. It requires that you can control the movement and allocation of assets and resources. Doctors don't necessarily have that skill. The administrator gets advised by doctors so that he can make the right decisions.

Do you think that the architect who built the pentagon needed to be a General?

It's not a scandal or stupid idea that Obama chose an administrator. But you think it is, because of the echo chamber.

Quote:
I don't think you're bad. I think you're as well meaning as those good people in the seats of the big-box-church on Sunday. They aren't bad, or stupid. They're mislead.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure you're a good dude person-to-person. You work with kids, you're into martial arts, and some of the non-political posts I've seen you make show humor and intelligence. I just think you're mislead and angry about things that aren't really that outrageous.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
This is utter bullshit. There's not a single actual liberal argument about which you have the least fucking clue.
So you agree that Kohn's argument is ridiculous. Good.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
So you agree that Kohn's argument is ridiculous. Good.
You're actually interesting in how utterly craven your arguments can be.

No, dipshit, he doesn't agree. Because your version of Kohn's argument is made up nonsense that serves the specific post you're making. You'll call it something else in the next post, or the opposite in the post after that.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
she thinks government would work better if only it wasn't "starved" with only $3.5 trillion
What's so annoying about you is that, unlike Clothy and other morons, you're smart enough to know better. When pressed, you seem to be aware of basic facts, yet persist in prattling gibberish if it seems to support your case.

In this case your insistence on the $3.5 trillion number is stupidity, ignorance, or both. Two-thirds of that is mandatory spending like Social Security. Social Security is money transferred from workers to retirees and has little to do directly with government.

If you include it to get your scare-figure gibberish, why not include the entire economy? Like Social Security money, the FRB gets "its hands" on lots of money via its clearinghouses.

You, OTOH, were the one applauding Congress for cutting $40 million (that's million with an M) from an initial Ebola-related request, and now accuse the Administration of not doing enough. What a dolt.

Gibberish. You're just all about gibberish. And, BTW, you've been caught in lies so often, I'm putting you on notice: I'll treat all your "facts" as lies unless accompanied with a cite.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:20 PM

Choosing to dedicate two thirds of the budget to mandatory spending is, obviously, a choice. Acting as if it's just something that happened and the government had no say in what their priorities should be is nonsense. We fund entitlements so lavishly at the expense of discretionary spending because that's what we do. If you think that we should have less entitlement spending and more discretionary spending on things like the CDC, even though the CDC has seen massive spending increases over the years(as well as huge expansions in its mission, way beyond preventing pandemics), then that's fine.

What is not fine is arguing that spending a quarter of all this country produces is "starving" the government of needed funds.

It is the very essence, no, the original, stupid liberal idea: This time we'll get it right, if only we can have another trillion!

Last edited by adaher; 10-20-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:21 PM

I don't think he's smart enough to know better
Old 10-20-2014, 06:24 PM

Oh and actually I've never accused the administration of not doing enough on ebola. Kohn did. So your post is utter nonsense and you're a twit to boot.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
you're a twit to boot.
Oh, look! A badge of honor!

That's a little like a Kallikak telling you you're an idiot.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

If anybody knows twits (your choice of vowel) it's adaher.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 PM

Fellow conservatives, see how they react like a vampire to the cross when you suggest that the concept of big government doesn't work too well? Always gets a really hostile response.

Funny thing is, they still haven't even addressed Kohn's argument. Do they agree with it? They won't say. I've never understood the need of non-politician liberals to act like politicians.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Fellow conservatives, see how they react like a vampire to the cross when you suggest that the concept of big government doesn't work too well?
Tell that to the big government Republicans who want the government to tell people who can get married, and who can have abortions.

Last edited by Fear Itself; 10-20-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:33 PM

You're right. That's also stupid ideas. Although on the latter issue, abortion, it's amazing how liberals suddenly believe that the judgment of doctors and patients is sacrosanct. But for pain management, the government MUST get between the doctor and patient!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
You're right. That's also stupid ideas.
They are also big government ideas that are written into the platform of the Republican Party. The Big Government, Republican party.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
But for pain management, the government MUST get between the doctor and patient!
No snark intended, but what are you referring to here? I'm a fairly liberal dude and I'm not getting the reference.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Well, this one takes the cake. Every time I think Obama can't do anything more stupid than he already has, he comes through for us. Ebola is a problem, and a potentially severe one. So who does he pick to head up the crisis? A political hack instead of a doctor.
So, in 2004:
...In 2004, Bush's bird flu czar was Stewart Simonson. He worked as an assistant secretary of health and human services for public health emergency preparedness. And although he had no medical experience or expertise in public health, he did enjoy a noted career as a Republican political insider.
from here:
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/10...care-bu/201229

Clothy, you joined in 2000. Show me in 2004 your outraged response to this bit of idiocy from Bush. Or admit you are an idiot. Either would be good.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
You're right. That's also stupid ideas. Although on the latter issue, abortion, it's amazing how liberals suddenly believe that the judgment of doctors and patients is sacrosanct. But for pain management, the government MUST get between the doctor and patient!
Are you suggesting that liberals are behind the drug war?

Show your work, if you please.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 PM

I don't know if liberals are behind the war on pain pills, but I have yet to see a liberal stand up and say that whether to use them or not is a decision between a patient and doctor that the government has no business interfering in. Given their absolutist position on abortion, you'd think they'd apply that laudable thinking to other issues. Or at least issues where the exact same logic applies. Either medical decisions are strictly between a patient and a doctor, or they are subject to government interference.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Fellow conservatives, see how they react like a vampire to the cross when you suggest that the concept of big government doesn't work too well? Always gets a really hostile response.
Big Government, the way you use it, doesn't exist. It's a bogey man. A phantom that people with small minds use in lieu of an intelligent argument.

Explain in detail what programs you think are unnecessary. If you say "Big Government" that tells us nothing except that you have no idea what specifically you want to cut. It's a stupid person's way of having something policy-wise to bitch about. Transcend your limits and actually think before bleating your utter shit.

Quote:
Funny thing is, they still haven't even addressed Kohn's argument. Do they agree with it? They won't say. I've never understood the need of non-politician liberals to act like politicians.
Well, you never stated what you thought of it, you just paraphrased it into gibberish.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I don't know if liberals are behind the war on pain pills, but I have yet to see a liberal stand up and say that whether to use them or not is a decision between a patient and doctor that the government has no business interfering in. Given their absolutist position on abortion, you'd think they'd apply that laudable thinking to other issues. Or at least issues where the exact same logic applies. Either medical decisions are strictly between a patient and a doctor, or they are subject to government interference.
Jesus merciful fuck. Please tell me you've had a recent concussion. Because if word-salad mush like that is what you actually think... well I guess it explains your voting record.

Liberals and libertarians are generally pro drug legalization of some drugs. Although, I don't think many liberals are for giving out drugs without regulation. Because regulation is what keeps things safe. If you overuse antibiotics, for instance, it will fuckle their usefulness in the future.

That said, no liberal I'm aware of is suggesting that abortions shouldn't be regulated. If you want to perform one with a rusty fork, that should be illegal.

That's what you call a regulation. But if an abortion is to be done according to best medical practices, then I'd say most pro-choice liberals would be for allowing that to happen.

Wanting best medical practices to be the norm, isn't the same thing as racking a shotgun and yelling, "FREE PILLS FO' EVERONE, Y'ALL!!1"
Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Big Government, the way you use it, doesn't exist. It's a bogey man. A phantom that people with small minds use in lieu of an intelligent argument.
Big Government, as I use it, means government that is encouraged to always expand its reach and power into areas traditionally handled by state and local governments, or left to individual initiative.

It's quite intelligent to question whether the government should be doing more things tomorrow than it is today, because the only thing I hear from Democrats is what MORE the government could be doing, how much MORE it could be spending. I don't hear much about the things it should stop doing. This despite the fact that the government can't handle the jobs it already has.

Quote:
Explain in detail what programs you think are unnecessary. If you say "Big Government" that tells us nothing except that you have no idea what specifically you want to cut. It's a stupid person's way of having something policy-wise to bitch about. Transcend your limits and actually think before bleating your utter shit.
We generalize because it's easy, but I've already given examples here. One, should the CDC really be devoting resources and expertise to issues having nothing to do with their core mission of preventing pandemics? And the CDC isn't the only culprit. Homeland Security is worried about illegal trade in cars and child porn. Guess all the terrorists are dead and our borders are locked down preventing new ones from getting in.

And while we're talking about how stupid people talk about government policy, can we please dispense with the dumb argument that opposing a big budget increase means that you're at fault when the agency in question fails to accomplish its mission? Or that a 1% cut will "cripple" said agency? No one knows what the correct budget level is for any particular agency. yet liberals go into paroxysms of outrage whenever a program is to receive a smaller than desired budget increase.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
That's what you call a regulation. But if an abortion is to be done according to best medical practices, then I'd say most pro-choice liberals would be for allowing that to happen.

Wanting best medical practices to be the norm, isn't the same thing as racking a shotgun and yelling, "FREE PILLS FO' EVERONE, Y'ALL!!1"
"Best medical practices" tends to include dictating which situations call for a medical procedure and which situations do not. Doctors have been placed under investigation for giving out too many prescriptions for pain pills. Yet a few doctors have performed late term abortions with zero oversight regarding whether it was appropriate. There is a clear difference in government oversight here: if you prescribe pain pills, you'd better be able to justify it to the authorities. If you abort a 26-week old fetus, we'll just take your word for it that it was necessary.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
One, should the CDC really be devoting resources and expertise to issues having nothing to do with their core mission of preventing pandemics?
Do you have any evidence that this "core mission" was ever explicitly stated as the central and only basis for the CDC's existence, or that the CDC's current areas of investigation are somehow in violation of a specific mission statement or government directive?

Every pocket history of the CDC that i can find, from Wikipedia to the University of Illinois at Chicago to the CDC itself suggests that the organization began in a rather ad hoc and informal way, and that it has grown by accretion over time, as the particular circumstances required.

It began by focusing on malaria prevention, but no evidence i can find suggests that it was ever told to restrict itself to epidemics or pandemics. In subsequent years and decades, it focused its attention on venereal disease, tuberculosis, polio, influenza, and a whole bunch of other communicable diseases. But it is clear that a key focus of the organization, from the beginning, was both on disease but also on the more general issue of public health. It started with malaria, because at the time malaria was considered a great threat to public health, it branched out to other diseases precisely as those diseases made themselves knows as public health threats, and it moved beyond diseases as other issues became important focuses of public health concern.

The very first name of the organization, in its earliest form, was the Office of National Defense Malaria Control Activities, and even in its early years as the Communicable Disease Center it was focused almost exclusively on malaria. Do you think that it should devote itself only to malaria now, because that's how it started out and government expansion is a bad thing?

As with any other public agency, there are reasonable questions to be asked about whether or not the CDC needs to do as much as it does. But is the expansion of the CDC really a "stupid liberal idea"?

According to the chart on this page (produced by the libertarian CATO Institute), the largest increase of any period in the last 40 years was during the Bush administration, when the outlays of the CDC rose from $3.448 billion (2000) to $6.328 billion. Of those 8 years under a Republican president, Republicans also controlled the House for 6 years, and the Senate for 4 years.

That's an 84.5% increase under Bush in 8 years. Under Obama, the CDC outlays have risen from $6.328 billion to $6.783 billion, or 7.2% in 6 years.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
So, you were attacking liberals for a position you have no idea if liberals actually hold. Got it.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
"Best medical practices" tends to include dictating which situations call for a medical procedure and which situations do not. Doctors have been placed under investigation for giving out too many prescriptions for pain pills. Yet a few doctors have performed late term abortions with zero oversight regarding whether it was appropriate. There is a clear difference in government oversight here: if you prescribe pain pills, you'd better be able to justify it to the authorities. If you abort a 26-week old fetus, we'll just take your word for it that it was necessary.
This will change when a bunch of idiot teenagers kill themselves by crushing and injecting aborted fetuses that they stole from their grandma's medicine cabinet or bought from a shady abortionist running a fetus mill.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
This will change when a bunch of idiot teenagers kill themselves by crushing and injecting aborted fetuses that they stole from their grandma's medicine cabinet or bought from a shady abortionist running a fetus mill.
You mean any particular Wednesday at Planned Parenthood?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:25 AM

I just imagine adaher's rants about liberals and pain pills are being said by Rush Limbaugh and suddenly it makes sense*.

*OK, the wording is still mishmash gibbertoon, but the intent becomes clear.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
So, just trying to understand where you are going with this: 'liberals', however you define them, are generally in favor of unregulated late-term abortions? 'Cause that's what it sounds like, and that, of course, would be silly.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 10-21-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:23 AM

So, you guys are trying to apply consistent logic and reasoning to adaher's arguments. 'Cause that's what it sounds like, and that, of course, would be silly.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Hey! I've got an idea! Let's all ignore the latest adaher strawman hijack. You're not going to convince him of anything, and as long as we all dance whenever he holds up his latest and says "dance monkeys," he's going to continue to do so.

Remember "plonk" is not just a five letter word.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph View Post
So, you guys are trying to apply consistent logic and reasoning to adaher's arguments. 'Cause that's what it sounds like, and that, of course, would be silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Hey! I've got an idea! Let's all ignore the latest adaher strawman hijack. You're not going to convince him of anything, and as long as we all dance whenever he holds up his latest and says "dance monkeys," he's going to continue to do so.

Remember "plonk" is not just a five letter word.
Yeah, you're right.

It could be that the stupidest liberal idea in this thread is to argue with adaher as if he were an honest person.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
It could be that the stupidest liberal idea in this thread is to argue with adaher as if he were an honest person.
Oh, not really. I've found that pointing out one of his mistakes will cause him to disappear for a while. Sometimes it's for the better part of a day. He may just be waiting for a thread to move on so he can rejoin it without it being so blatant what points he's ignoring.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Choosing to dedicate two thirds of the budget to mandatory spending is, obviously, a choice.
Your confusion about the words "mandatory" and "choice", which are essentially antonyms is, obviously, reason for us to wonder if you're "playing with a full deck."

My impression is that you understand that "conservatives" are not a homogeneous grouping. I'll guess you don't lump yourself with homophobes, gun nuts, freemen on the land, racists, goldbug scam artists, oldsters whose only concern is keeping teh guvmint away from their Medicare, creationists, or any of several factions which make up the core of the modern Republiopathic Party. Yet somehow you have blinders which lead you to imagine that "liberals" are homogeneous.

Quote:
I don't know if liberals are behind the war on pain pills, but I have yet to see a liberal stand up and say that whether to use them or not is a decision between a patient and doctor that the government has no business interfering in.
Do you consider me a "liberal"? Because I would be happy to stand up and so state, and I can point to posts where I've complained about similar restrictions.

But I'd consider myself a "liberal" only in the "war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength, anybody to the left of John Boehner is a liberal" thinking of post-rational America. In saner days, I'd be closer to moderate Republicans than to liberal Democrats in policy preferences.

I've discussed policies isolated from partisan politics with "right-wingers" and often found that the right-winger and I were in agreement about much policy, as long as the right-winger could think beyond Pavlovian "teh guvmint is teh evil" gibberish and exercise his mind. I'd guess you and I might see eye-to-eye on some underlying issues, but it seems you can't divorce your thought from partisanship.

And that sums up why I find today's Republicans so contemptible. Policies are irrelevant; no lie is too craven; partisanship, partisanship, and partisanship is all that matters to you.