Old 12-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
What exactly makes a AR-15 or AK-47 styled rifle "high-powered"? Compared to what?
A knife, or a hammer, or a swimming pool.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What exactly makes a AR-15 or AK-47 styled rifle "high-powered"? Compared to what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
A knife, or a hammer, or a swimming pool.
Ha. Ha. Now, do you have an actual answer?
Old 12-02-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Telling people with guns that they're stupid and that they should do what they're told and surrender their weapons because you know better isn't going to get you very far.
OK. Good thing it isn't my job to explain to stupid people how stupid they are.

If it were my responsibility to address America's gun stupidities, I might want to borrow a gun from one of the stupid gun nuts and blow my brains out.

... Or I suppose I could change lanes without signalling and save a step.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:27 PM

Larry Pratt says that the Colorado Springs shooter went after the Planned Parenthood clinic because he knew it would be full of unarmed liberals. So, unarmed liberals are fair game?
Old 12-02-2015, 02:30 PM

Can't tell if this has been covered yet I'm getting the shootings mixed up now.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
That exactly makes a AR-15 or AK-47 styled rifle "high-powered"? Compared to what?
Hey everyone, let's all laugh at Hentor, the stupid liberal, who's too stupid and ignorant about guns to know that the 5.56mm or 7.62mm round that most automatic rifles are chambered for isn't considered "high powered," and is just a standard rifle round, even possibly on the low end compared to a lot of hunting rounds. Unless he's comparing them to handguns or carbine rifles chambered for handgun rounds, but then he's still stupid and ignorant, because you can kill just as many people with a low powered carbine. This guy is so stupid and ignorant about guns, next thing you know he'll be calling magazines CLIPS and then we can REALLY let him have it! This nitpicking about firearms is fun and amazing and totally never gets dull or repetitive.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:21 PM
BANNED

Gun sales spiked on Black Friday.

This is somebody's idea of Christmas shopping?!
Old 12-02-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Hey everyone, let's all laugh at Hentor, the stupid liberal, who's too stupid and ignorant about guns to know that the 5.56mm or 7.62mm round that most automatic rifles are chambered for isn't considered "high powered," and is just a standard rifle round, even possibly on the low end compared to a lot of hunting rounds. Unless he's comparing them to handguns or carbine rifles chambered for handgun rounds, but then he's still stupid and ignorant, because you can kill just as many people with a low powered carbine. This guy is so stupid and ignorant about guns, next thing you know he'll be calling magazines CLIPS and then we can REALLY let him have it! This nitpicking about firearms is fun and amazing and totally never gets dull or repetitive.
It's one of the best things to do, really. Sadly, in this case, I was not the author of the words. It was NBC's Pete Williams whose nit Lumpy is desperate to pick.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Right, and since it isn't complicated or arcane, one would expect the people who want to regulate or ban the things could be arsed to learn even the basics of what they are talking about. One would expect that, but one would be disappointed. One would also be perplexed by the obvious pride they take in their ignorance on the matter.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentor the Barbarian View Post
It's one of the best things to do, really. Sadly, in this case, I was not the author of the words. It was NBC's Pete Williams whose nit Lumpy is desperate to pick.
Acknowledged, but you're the one who brought it up. It's a legitimate "nit" to pick because of the widespread misconception that these rounds are somehow specially deadly. It's why "assault weapon" bans keep coming up despite the fact that statistically handguns are the most widely misused firearm. It's stupidly wrong, the way people think that plutonium glows fluorescent green in the dark or that antibiotics will cure a cold. And anyone who would use the phrase has lost credibility in an honest debate about guns.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Acknowledged, but you're the one who brought it up. It's a legitimate "nit" to pick because of the widespread misconception that these rounds are somehow specially deadly. It's why "assault weapon" bans keep coming up despite the fact that statistically handguns are the most widely misused firearm. It's stupidly wrong, the way people think that plutonium glows fluorescent green in the dark or that antibiotics will cure a cold. And anyone who would use the phrase has lost credibility in an honest debate about guns.
I quoted a statement about how this was another shooter who would pass background checks. Your objection is not only irrelevant and inappropriately addressed to me, but insanely overblown. What the fuck does it have to do with the point?

Why is Pete Williams no longer credible? That's just totally fucking stupid. I mean, really fucking stupid.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Why is Pete Williams no longer credible? That's just totally fucking stupid. I mean, really fucking stupid.
He's simply throwing chaff into the air and shouting a lot.

It's equivalent to someone pointing out that you missed an apostrophe in a word, and therefore your entire argument is magically null and void. Very juvenile.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:21 PM

But what was the color of the fringe? That means everything.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
Can't tell if this has been covered yet I'm getting the shootings mixed up now.
Why the everloving fuck would three people shoot up a center for people with disabilities?

I can guess what the solution is (in some people's minds). More guns.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Elephant Whisperer

And of course, even with this new massacre in California, pro-gun filth will keep cherry-picking their data to show guns don't kill people.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:32 PM

.... If only those folks with developmental disabilities were allowed to buy guns, this tragedy could have been avoided....
Old 12-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

You know, just once, after one of those occurrences, I'd like to see a family member of a victim as a conservative lawmaker publicly and directly what they're going to do to prevent events like this in the future. Then I'd like that lawmaker to tell them, to their face, the truth of what they really think and plan, something like: "I'm very sorry for your loss, but your loved one's death is the price we pay for a free society and our Constitution of laws."

I'd like to see what happens. I'd at least have a modicum of respect for that lawmaker to actually not hide behind empty euphemisms for once.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:44 PM

California has strict gun laws. Criminals always follow the law. -_-
Old 12-02-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
You know, just once, after one of those occurrences, I'd like to see a family member of a victim as a conservative lawmaker publicly and directly what they're going to do to prevent events like this in the future. Then I'd like that lawmaker to tell them, to their face, the truth of what they really think and plan, something like: "I'm very sorry for your loss, but your loved one's death is the price we pay for a free society and our Constitution of laws."

I'd like to see what happens. I'd at least have a modicum of respect for that lawmaker to actually not hide behind empty euphemisms for once.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/jeb-bush-st...ry?id=34209380

Stuff happens, you know?
Old 12-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Ah, yes, I remember that. Close, but still not quite as direct as it could be, and he was speaking to a friendly audience.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamicat View Post
California has strict gun laws. Criminals always follow the law. -_-
Not strict enough, apparently.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post

What do you think a lawmaker should say to a father who wants alcohol banned because his son was killed by a drunk driver, or a woman who wants beer banned because her boyfriend gets drunk and beats her?

Last edited by Absolute; 12-02-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
What do you think a politician should say to a father who wants alcohol banned because his son was killed by a drunk driver, or a woman who wants beer banned because her boyfriend gets drunk and beats her?
They should say, "But guns are way more dangerous and we don't do anything about them. Oh, and swimming pools."
Old 12-02-2015, 09:11 PM

Or, they might say "I'm very sorry about your loss, but there are millions of people who responsibly use and enjoy alcohol safely, and so despite the fact that there are people who abuse it, and the horrible consequences of that abuse, I can't support restrictions on alcohol consumption beyond those already in place."

Last edited by Absolute; 12-02-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
And of course, even with this new massacre in California, pro-gun filth will keep cherry-picking their data to show guns don't kill people.
"Filth"?

Fortunately, for much the same reason that animals rights protesters don't target leather-wearing bikers, gun banners can't do much more than make rude noises at people who own guns.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting over Parking
SAN ANTONIO TX
... Manuel Lopez parked in front of his neighbor's home on Elvira Street on Sunday afternoon.... 74-year-old Franklin Martinez came out of his home and began yelling at Lopez about where he had parked. When Lopez said he would not move his car, police say Martinez shot Lopez in the head.

Lopez was ... listed in critical condition ... expected to survive his injuries.
Once again I say, guns make people stupid. So, yes, does alcohol, but alcohol is not made with the intent of killing anything other than maybe some bacteria or banana slugs.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:39 PM
BANNED

Without guns people are smart? I don't see that here.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Or, they might say "I'm very sorry about your loss, but there are millions of people who responsibly use and enjoy alcohol safely, and so despite the fact that there are people who abuse it, and the horrible consequences of that abuse, I can't support restrictions on alcohol consumption beyond those already in place."
Or they might say "The solution is more alcohol. If there had been a good guy with an alcohol, this could have been prevented."
Old 12-03-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
What do you think a lawmaker should say to a father who wants alcohol banned because his son was killed by a drunk driver, or a woman who wants beer banned because her boyfriend gets drunk and beats her?
Perhaps that lawmaker could point out that, in response to issues with alcohol and drunk driving, we've collectively passed many new laws and regulations imposing tighter limits and restrictions on driving while impaired. Perhaps that lawmaker would mention how the limits for driving while impaired have been lowered over the years in an attempt to address the issue. Perhaps that lawmaker would point out the numerous studies performed in an attempt to understand the issue, including significant work by the CDC (which is forbidden from performing equivalent research on gun violence). Perhaps that lawmaker would point out all the proactive attempts at minimizing driving while impaired, including checkpoints and DUI taskforces. Perhaps that lawmaker would point out that deaths per year related to driving while impaired have been reduced as a result of these efforts. Perhaps that lawmaker would note that, while too many deaths still occur, that recent results reveal that improvements can be made and the number of deaths reduced, if we're willing to at least discuss the issue and consider making changes.

Perhaps . . .

Or maybe that lawmaker would shrug and say "Eh, things happen, just like gun violence. But there's nothing we can do about it."
Old 12-03-2015, 08:41 AM

Maybe if radicalized Muslims start buying "long guns" legally and use them against nice, white Americans, we'll start actually passing some gun regulations.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Maybe if radicalized Muslims start buying "long guns" legally and use them against nice, white Americans, we'll start actually passing some gun regulations.
Nope, the answer is always more guns.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
You feel good about yourself when you have thoughts like this? I guess when you think of yourself as one of the good people, though, you can rationalize anything.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
You feel good about yourself when you have thoughts like this? I guess when you think of yourself as one of the good people, though, you can rationalize anything.
No, it's not a nice thought. It's fucked up. I don't want any of this shit to happen. But I can't help but wonder how the Republican party's fetishized love of guns and irrational fear of/hatred for Muslims & brown people will play out if the evil Islamic nutcrackers start buying guns in our unregulated market and using them against us.

How are Republican politicians who currently love guns as much as they fear Muslims going to explain this away if these were radicalized nutjobs in California who bought these "long guns" legally? More guns? Easier access to guns? Bigger guns on the market for Jesus-fearing 'Mericans to buy? Locking up all Muslims? Making it illegal for anyone who isn't white and doesn't profess their Christianity to own guns? More good thoughts expressed on Twitter? More prayers?

Or how about listening to this country's local leaders and passing common-sense gun control?

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 12-03-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:45 AM

And now a brief interlude on lawn darts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Lawn darts had been banned from being sold in the United States for many years. The ban was challenged in court in the late 1970s, prompting the Consumer Product Safety Commission to make a compromise ruling allowing their sale provided they were not marketed as toys. However, in April 1987, seven-year-old Michelle Snow was killed by a lawn dart thrown by one of her brothers' playmates in the backyard of their home in Riverside, California. The darts had been purchased unintentionally as part of a set of several different lawn games and were stored in the garage, never before having been played. Michelle's father, David, began a crusade to get lawn darts banned, claiming that there was no way to keep children from getting their hands on lawn darts short of a full ban.

Due in part to Snow's lobbying, on December 19, 1988, the CPSC reinstated the outright ban on lawn darts. In the previous eight years, 6,100 people had been sent to the emergency room due to lawn darts. Out of that total, 81 percent were 15 or younger, and half of them were 10 or younger. On the week the commission voted to ban the product, an 11-year-old girl in Tennessee was hit by a lawn dart and sent into a coma.
A few thousand injuries and a tiny number of deaths got lawn darts banned in the US.

Fucking lawn darts.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Elephant Whisperer

They can have my lawn darts when they pry them from my cold, dead hands.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:50 AM

Whatever wakes Congress up to passing common sense gun control laws. Obviously, crazy white guys shooting up movie theaters, elementary schools, high schools, colleges, shopping malls, women's health organizations, etc. don't move these assholes to act like human beings.

Maybe crazy Muslims shooting up a center for developmentally disabled people will. Whether these asshole shooters were radicalized or disgruntled or mentally ill, it doesn't really matter. Republicans are terrified of Muslims, after all. Maybe their terror will now allow them to pass some gun control legislation. Or maybe it'll just drive them further into Right-Wing Nutjobville.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
This year, there have been more mass shootings — defined as incidents in which four or more victims are shot — than days in the calendar year. According to ShootingTracker.com, which tracks deaths by guns in America, the U.S. has seen 355 mass shootings so far in 2015.
It seems pretty clear what the problem is: Not enough guns. Let's support whichever Presidential candidate offers a free gun to every American.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:18 AM

This story seems kind of stupid: police officer participating in a chase lays down spike strip, gets word that chase has changed direction, packs up spike strip and heads off in pursuit, bag with gun falls out of car as he leaves. The bag was not there when he went back for it, surprise, surprise. Police are hoping someone will turn it in. Optimism is low.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
This story seems kind of stupid: police officer ... gun falls out of car as he leaves. ... Police are hoping someone will turn it in. Optimism is low.
I know so little about guns. Is that what's called an assault rifle? Semi-automatic?

The TV reporter seemed concerned that the gun might be "in the wrong hands." Does "wrong" here mean black? I thought U.S. white men were encouraged or even required to have weapons, to conform with the 2nd Amerdement; what's this about "wrong hands"? Are the libtards back to trying to ban "assault rifles" again?
Old 12-03-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
They might also point out that at least cars and alcohol are restricted and controlled far more than firearms are........so there's that.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I know so little about guns. Is that what's called an assault rifle? Semi-automatic?

The TV reporter seemed concerned that the gun might be "in the wrong hands." Does "wrong" here mean black? I thought U.S. white men were encouraged or even required to have weapons, to conform with the 2nd Amerdement; what's this about "wrong hands"? Are the libtards back to trying to ban "assault rifles" again?
Buried has, IME, been a fairly mixed neighborhood, all brown, white, black and yellow. Kind of on the cusp between urban and suburban. I am informed that there is or was a section-eight block near that intersection, which means, whatever. Airport is not far from there, so that gun will probably end up being used to hold up liquor stores in a dry county in Texas a few weeks from now.

Last edited by eschereal; 12-03-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:59 PM

Here is some professional grade stupid about guns from one of our elected representatives
http://www.guns.com/2015/12/03/new-y...dino-shooting/
Here is the comment in all its glory http://vpstestgunscom.c.presscdn.com...o-shooting.jpg
Quote:
In the United States virtually anyone anytime could purchase a machine gun without a background check
Needless to say she edited that sucker real, real quick when it was pointed that he post showed the intelligence level of cauliflower.
Did I mention she is on the homeland security committee?
Yup industrial grade stupid.
Remember this motto to live by: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather one should aim to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, glass of Scotch in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! Man, what a ride!"
Old 12-03-2015, 10:34 PM

"Fox & Friends": Prayer is more effective than gun control, and if you disagree with that "you’re lining up with terrorists"

OK then.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:26 PM

Not exactly on topic, but I think most subscribers to this thread will be interested.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-abortion.html

It's simple: the Constitution says your right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, but it doesn't say anything about buying them. Of course you have a right to buy them, but the buying process can be regulated.

It's also settled law that you have a right to have an abortion, but again, the process of obtaining one has been severely restricted in many states.

So let's make it fair: make the process of buying a gun similar to the process of obtaining an abortion. You have to be evaluated by a doctor. You have to watch a movie of bad things that happen when you own a gun. You have to wait several days. Maybe a nice anal probe --- it may not be medically necessary in most cases, but neither is a mandatory transvaginal ultrasound medically necessary for most women who want an abortion.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Nah, I'll just get one off the black market.

Ignoring stupid laws is a time-honored American tradition.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Nah, I'll just get one off the black market.

Ignoring stupid laws is a time-honored American tradition.
So you're vowing that you would commit a felony? You seem like someone who should not own firearms.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
So you're vowing that you would commit a felony? You seem like someone who should not own firearms.
As I've said before, gun nuts are basically criminals at heart.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gee, maybe we should have- I dunno, some kind of "loyalty oath"? And anyone who refuses to swear it gets put in jail?

I was (1.) Pointing out the futility of presuming that everyone will fall into lockstep with
someone's clever gun control scheme, and (2.) I was saying I'll join the legions of scofflaws who were ordinary peaceful citizens until suddenly the government declares us felons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
As I've said before, gun nuts are basically criminals at heart.
You mean we don't worship authority. Are you saying that you'd slavishly obey anything that somehow got squeezed through the legislative process- anything at all?

And try telling women in a self-defense support group who've bought guns to deter psychotic stalkers or exes that they're "basically criminals at heart". I'd like to see that on YouTube.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

So you'll stop this pretense of being a "law-abiding citizen" in the future? Or has that always been a lie?
Old 12-06-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
You mean we don't worship authority. Are you saying that you'd slavishly obey anything that somehow got squeezed through the legislative process- anything at all?
So, law-abiding people are like slaves? People should get to pick and choose which felonies they will avoid commiting and which they will not?

Sounds like you oppose prohibiting gun ownership for felons.

Last edited by Hentor the Barbarian; 12-06-2015 at 12:21 PM.