Old 02-07-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
Today's episode of This American Life on NPR is relevant.
I like the tin man.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:44 AM

Iced tea arrest dismissed.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/20...ced-tea-public
Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 AM

Frank Jude was beaten and tortured by Milwaukee police in 2004 and got back in the news in 2014, incarcerated in jail, unable to pay bail. Click the link to see how bad life can be for police victims.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enomaj View Post
Great! Case dismissed and the cop found to have violated his rights, all after a two-year legal battle.

The cop in question probably never even got a reprimand, let alone any actual punishment, and is probably still out there doing pretty much the same thing today. The only difference, i'll bet, is that he's a little more careful to make sure that there are no cameras around. Because you know that this case would have gone very differently if no-one had caught the incident on video.

Hell, even with the video, and even with the judge's dismissal of the case and his ruling that the stop was unconstitutional, the ADA in the case still thinks the cop was in the right:
Quote:
"I clearly disagree with the decision," Assistant District Attorney Charles Scott said. "It's (a reflection of) what's going on in many parts of the country. If you arrest or attempt to arrest people, there appears to be great anti-police sentiment in certain quarters."
Hey, asshole, if there's anti-cop sentiment in certain quarters, it's because some cops behave like the asshole in this case, and because some prosecutors insist on taking cases to trial even when Blind Freddy With No Law Degree can see that the arrest and/or the charges are bullshit.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:16 PM

Cops sent to check on 74-year old man break into his home and kill him.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:15 PM

Very sad story; read the comments. (One comment implies he had black relatives, but I see no other indication of the victim's race.)

Quote:
When officers entered, they found Allen holding a handgun and pointing it toward the officers, Helton said. “He was challenged to lower the gun down,” Helton said. “The gun was pointed in the direction of the officers, and a shot was fired that fatally wounded him.” ...
On Sunday, neighbors remembered Allen as a kind neighbor....
America's gun culture to blame? For the victim to even own a gun would be less common in a less gun-happy culture.

And the police should have been shouting "Police" and holding up badges. Were they?

Last edited by septimus; 02-09-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:23 PM

SIAP

Pretty funny except that someone will need to buy a new door.

Cops should have tried the door bell first
Old 02-10-2015, 05:26 PM

Indian guy left partially paralyzed, guilty of walking while brown.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:52 PM

From the story:
Quote:
The statement by Madison police refers to a "communication barrier." Chirag Patel said his father speaks only Gujarati, and some Hindi.
The police department then added: "We decided to speak to him in a language that everyone understands, and that our cops are especially fluent in."
Old 02-10-2015, 06:20 PM
BANNED

Oh, Madison Alabama. I thought it was Madison Wisconsin. Because if they really want to beat up the right Walker...
Old 02-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Better training, better selection

It's even worse though. From the article:
Quote:
Madison, a booming bedroom community, is home to about 46,000 residents just outside Huntsville. While largely white and affluent, with a per capita income almost double the state average, the young city is also home to many foreign-born professionals. One in 10 residents speak something other than English in the home, and 8 percent of residents were born in another country.
With those sort of demographics, the cop should have been very aware of the possibility of language barriers.

Here's another proposal. Pass a law with mild sentences for something like actions betraying the public trust while in figurative or actual uniform. Mild punishment is key: otherwise convictions will be harder. Criminology 101 says that deterrence is much more a result of swift sanction than heavy sanction. Even 2-12 months in the slammer might have a salutatory effect.

At the end of the day, the answer will involve better training and weeding out bad cops. While the victim above certainly needs and deserves compensation, I'm not sanguine about the effects of lawsuits on changing LE behavior. I don't doubt that they have an effect: I doubt the effect is close to sufficient.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
From the story:The police department then added: "We decided to speak to him in a language that everyone understands, and that our cops are especially fluent in."
To be honest, I'm not sure if I understand spoken Oinkese either.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
At the end of the day, the answer will involve better training and weeding out bad cops.
Probably not. The simple answer is to have a police force that arrests and imprisons cops who break the law. Slamming a 57 year old man down and injuring him is a crime. It's exactly that the police do not fear, nor suffer arrest for violation of the very laws they enforce, that creates a situation where a man feels free to physically damage another person, with no fear of consequences.

Unless police are also subject to the law, there will be no change.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXMastermind View Post
Probably not. The simple answer is to have a police force that arrests and imprisons cops who break the law. Slamming a 57 year old man down and injuring him is a crime. It's exactly that the police do not fear, nor suffer arrest for violation of the very laws they enforce, that creates a situation where a man feels free to physically damage another person, with no fear of consequences.

Unless police are also subject to the law, there will be no change.
What's really needed is a special prosecutor in each state who would be in charge of prosecuting cases against police.

The regular prosecutors rely on police testimony and assistance to obtain convictions, and if they were to take on the police, they'd be up a creek when it came time to prosecute cases where they needed police cooperation.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
It's even worse though. From the article: With those sort of demographics, the cop should have been very aware of the possibility of language barriers.

Here's another proposal. Pass a law with mild sentences for something like actions betraying the public trust while in figurative or actual uniform. Mild punishment is key: otherwise convictions will be harder. Criminology 101 says that deterrence is much more a result of swift sanction than heavy sanction. Even 2-12 months in the slammer might have a salutatory effect.

At the end of the day, the answer will involve better training and weeding out bad cops. While the victim above certainly needs and deserves compensation, I'm not sanguine about the effects of lawsuits on changing LE behavior. I don't doubt that they have an effect: I doubt the effect is close to sufficient.
NYC Police Officer indicted in shooting death

In this case a frightened rookie NYC cop shot and killed a Brooklyn apartment dweller in a dark stairwell. Said it was accidental and I think I tend to agree with that.

Case seems much less egregious than many, but the cop was Chinese-American so maybe that's why he could be charged. (second degree manslaughter is the top charge)

My guess is he'll be convicted on one or two of the lesser charges. He drew his gun prior to entering the stairway without any evident danger. He's clearly guilty of being reckless. He also admitted on the night of the shooting that it had been accidental.

But apparently he had no evil intent or anger issues.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post
But apparently he had no evil intent or anger issues.
Negligence can be a crime.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:18 PM

Pasco, Washington this time: Video Apparently Shows Man with Hands Up Shot Dead by Washington Cops

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-12-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:37 PM

Video and 911 recording of Alabama cops assaulting the Indian guy mentioned upthread.

One of the officers has been fired and is charged with 3rd degree assault.

The smile on my face went away when I learned this is just a misdemeanor.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
What's really needed is a special prosecutor in each state who would be in charge of prosecuting cases against police.
I find it hard to imagine a solution that doesn't involve something like this. Cop corruption was curbed via the establishment of Internal Affairs. Speaking generally, oversight needs to be conducted by third parties.
Quote:
NYC Police Officer indicted in shooting death

In this case a frightened rookie NYC cop shot and killed a Brooklyn apartment dweller in a dark stairwell. Said it was accidental and I think I tend to agree with that. ...

... He drew his gun prior to entering the stairway without any evident danger. He's clearly guilty of being reckless.
I had understood that NYC cops draw their weapon about once per day and that quite of few nonetheless never fire their weapon during their career. So I can't see how drawing the weapon is an issue. The article gave few details about the incident, so I can't evaluate the degree of negligence other than saying the matter deserves investigation.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I read today that he also did not try to help the wounded man after he shot him. Instead, he called his police union representative. That's certainly not "protect and serve".

I've never seen a NYC cop draw a gun. I have seen police in another state draw weapons when it appeared there might have been an ongoing break-in.

Putting a hand on the butt of a gun when entering a dark stairwell might be prudent. Drawing the weapon great enhances the danger for all, including both cops. What if he fell in the dark?
Old 02-13-2015, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

According to a guy on this forum cops can draw their weapon anywhere between 1-2 a month and many times a day, depending on neighborhood or whatever.

NYT: Some cops might draw their guns only a couple of times during their career. Other cops, those who patrol public housing complexes, draw their guns routinely. Apparently Officer Liang was in such a situation: the bullet went down a flight of stairs and struck an innocent person.

LAPD manual, according to Joe Blow on an internet forum:
"Unnecessarily or prematurely drawing or exhibiting a firearm limits an officer's alternatives in controlling a situation, creates unnecessary anxiety on the part of citizens, and may result in an unwarranted or accidental discharge of the firearm. An officer's decision to draw or exhibit a firearm should be based on the tactical situation and the officer's reasonable belief there is a substantial risk that the situation may escalate to the point where deadly force may be justified. When an officer has determined that the use of deadly force is not necessary, the officer shall, as soon as practicable, secure or holster the firearm."

2008 NYT article: It had nothing on the topic, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.
The NYPD has 36,000 officers. Shootings have declined.
Code:
                                       1996           2006
Number of bullets fired by cops     1292            540   
Number of times police opened fire   147             60

Killed by cops                        30             13
--------------------------------------------------------
How often cops hit target (hit ratio):  34%

Discussion, low grade ore: http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/A...ed-Handgun.htm
Old 02-13-2015, 06:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I read today that he also did not try to help the wounded man after he shot him. Instead, he called his police union representative. That's certainly not "protect and serve".
This should be grounds for firing by itself. His priorities are so screwed up.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:45 AM

The reason why the police were called against Patel is now pretty clear (Zimmerman wannbe).
Quote:
In a 911 call to police that day, the caller identifies Patel as "a skinny black guy" he had never seen before walking around the neighborhood. The caller also said that he was following Patel from a distance, and that he was afraid to leave for work and leave his wife alone at home.

Last edited by orcenio; 02-13-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know what to make of all this crap, except that methinks police work should have low job security. Generous pay, but low job security.
Only issue with that is you need a good solid fair procedure for dismissing an officer. Police officers by design end up in alot of physical altercations in the process of arresting people and no two people resisting arrest are going to be exactly the same. Excessive force on one person might hardly phase another person for a variety of reasons. Part of why those police unions exist is because once upon a time it was too easy to simply terminate a cop who was involved in some kind of controversial incident. All emergency services encounter alot of messy grey areas and situations that are extremely difficult to manage. Cops also have the unfortunate aspect of their duty constantly trying to balance the public good, the rights of the suspect, proper interpretation of basic criminal laws to make proper arrests, and their own safety. Failing at any one of which can have unfortunate outcomes.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
Part of why those police unions exist is because once upon a time it was too easy to simply terminate a cop who was involved in some kind of controversial incident.
I find this.... very hard to believe. As bad as things are now, they were only worse in the past, in terms of what cops could get away with.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I was gonna say ... don't always need evil motive or "intent" to be convicted of a criminal act. There is such a think as criminally negligent homicide/involuntary manslaughter. If you're a trained professional going down a dark stairwell (never mind that the trek was against orders), use a flashlight. You're also kinda tasked as a cop to assess a situation and not be a skittish mofo with your weapon out the second you hear people in the stairwell, never mind (evidently) finger inside the trigger guard. That seems to fit the bill of negligent/involuntary homicide, unless NY law is strangely written.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
There is now an inquest (translation: official whitewash procedure) being planned and the family of the deceased has filed a $25 million claim against the city of Pasco. Cite.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
I find this.... very hard to believe. As bad as things are now, they were only worse in the past, in terms of what cops could get away with.
That particular blade cuts both ways. Police department administration could get away with alot more blame shifting and or convenient loss of information that might place the scrutiny on questionable department policy as opposed to an individual officers judgement or actions.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've never seen a NYC cop draw a gun. I have seen police in another state draw weapons when it appeared there might have been an ongoing break-in.

Putting a hand on the butt of a gun when entering a dark stairwell might be prudent. Drawing the weapon great enhances the danger for all, including both cops. What if he fell in the dark?
Today's Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/14/ny...ef=todayspaper

The criminal indictment stems from the absence of a claim that the cop felt his life was threatened, according to sources.

Drawing the weapon was fine. But Officer Liang made 2 errors: he, "...disregarded his safety training by putting his finger on the trigger and pointing the gun ahead of him into the dark, even though there was no obvious threat." Also, weapons issued by the NYPD have a, "New York trigger", making them more difficult to fire. You need to squeeze the trigger harder.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You have an interesting definition of "hands up" if it includes "at waist level".
Old 02-16-2015, 11:47 AM

Chicago Cops who exposed corruption, threatened with, "Going home in a casket".

Story of two cops who investigated police corruption, were punished by their department for doing so and are now suing in federal court. A third cop has backed up their story.

After their investigation caught two corrupt cops, the plug was pulled before it could get too big.

They were transferred to dead end jobs and routinely called "IAD rats" by other cops.

The moral of the story? Cops careers are routinely ruined when they go against police corruption or excessive police brutality.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
You have an interesting definition of "hands up" if it includes "at waist level".
Oh, well, that's different; shoot him.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Chicago Cops who exposed corruption, threatened with, "Going home in a casket".

Story of two cops who investigated police corruption, were punished by their department for doing so and are now suing in federal court. A third cop has backed up their story.

After their investigation caught two corrupt cops, the plug was pulled before it could get too big.

They were transferred to dead end jobs and routinely called "IAD rats" by other cops.

The moral of the story? Cops careers are routinely ruined when they go against police corruption or excessive police brutality.
Apparently this has been an on-going story since 2012. The new bit of information in the original link was support of the federal lawsuit by Janet Hanna, a third officer.

Quote:
But they allege top brass ignored their early claims that Watts was a criminal, forcing them to go to federal authorities.
Soon after, they said, their identities as Internal Affairs officers were revealed to fellow officers.
Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...#ixzz3RvycOlKY
Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook

Second City Cop
The two officers, according to the lawsuit, discovered that colleagues on the police force were shaking down drug dealers and framing innocent people.
- Comments from cops are predictably negative:
Quote:
There is much MUCH more to this latest CPD "scandal", and not in the way the police-hating public would like to see unravel. These two "whistleblowers" will ultimately be the ones with egg on their faces - too smart for their own good is as far as I'll elaborate at this point.

These goofs are toxic. Use the appropriate cautions around them.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Shit, you are right. That guy clearly needed to die.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
Shit, you are right. That guy clearly needed to die.
Yep. Clear the streets of bursitis sufferers.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Frank Jude was beaten and tortured by Milwaukee police in 2004 and got back in the news in 2014, incarcerated in jail, unable to pay bail. Click the link to see how bad life can be for police victims.
I clicked the link. It's about how bad life can be for mentally ill people who make bad business decisions and strangle their girlfriends.

This guy got a huge settlement and managed to blow it all and end up in jail due to his violence and mental health issues. It's a sad story, but I feel more guilty for his victims than I do for him.

In any case, it's hardly the fault of the police or anyone else but himself.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
The reason why the police were called against Patel is now pretty clear (Zimmerman wannbe).
I am normally one of the guys defending the cops...on this one, i got nothing...they had control of him, the hard takedown was totally unneeded. Short of the guy taking a good swing at one of the cops, total overkill. Just glad that Patel seems to be recovering from the articles I have read.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:25 PM
BANNED

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/02/1...ideo/21143616/

Fascinating behavior.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:

That is so fucked up.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:44 PM
BANNED

Someday the cops will wait until another cop says, "OK, cameras rolling, let's do this".

OK probably not.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Hey SMAPTI, maybe you should jump in on this one. Or another asshat, we've got several to choose from.

*sigh* at this country. So much money. So much power. So much arrogance. So little willingness to admit that other countries might have better ways to handle some things, like policing.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 AM

Fort Lauderdale police officer caught on camera slapping homeless man.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM

The Guardian says Chicago police have a secret warehouse where arrestees are held off the books, denied access to lawyers, shackled, questioned for hours, and sometimes beaten. There's been at least one death there.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by get lives View Post
Hey SMAPTI, maybe you should jump in on this one. Or another asshat, we've got several to choose from.
The police are in the wrong on this one. They should absolutely not have the power to shut off their cameras, and if there's an action that they're afraid to conduct because they're worried it'll be filmed, then they shouldn't do it at all.

Last edited by Smapti; 02-24-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The police are in the wrong on this one. They should absolutely not have the power to shut off their cameras, and if there's an action that they're afraid to conduct because they're worried it'll be filmed, then they shouldn't do it at all.
Smapti, they do it because they're not afraid. Would you agree?

Should things change so that they would be afraid to turn them off?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Do you follow copblock on Facebook? That's where I originally saw this.

And I'd bet anything, from watching that video, that the officer in the video slaps his family around like that too. It just came so naturally to him, like something he'd done a thousand times before, trained into him like throwing a ball is trained into major league pitchers. Lots of repetition.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Smapti, they do it because they're not afraid. Would you agree?

Should things change so that they would be afraid to turn them off?
The article said the officer who turned the camera off was disciplined. If that continues, and the punishments are severe enough, maybe they will be afraid to turn them off.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Do you follow copblock on Facebook? That's where I originally saw this.

And I'd bet anything, from watching that video, that the officer in the video slaps his family around like that too. It just came so naturally to him, like something he'd done a thousand times before, trained into him like throwing a ball is trained into major league pitchers. Lots of repetition.
I guess copblock is some sort of blog? Never heard of it before and I haven't even glanced at Facebook in more than 6 months I don't think.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I guess copblock is some sort of blog? Never heard of it before and I haven't even glanced at Facebook in more than 6 months I don't think.
I think I'm aggravating my facebook friends with all my copblock links to police misconduct. I do at least 1 a day, often more.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I think I'm aggravating my facebook friends with all my copblock links to police misconduct. I do at least 1 a day, often more.
Yeah, shit like this is annoying as fuck and retards like you are why I quite facey-space a couple of years ago. My life has never been better now that I don't have to see the droolings of idiotic morans like you anymore.