Old 08-19-2019, 12:52 PM

And if the decision is upheld, the officer will just be hired by another Department. Maybe New Jersey?

-God
Old 08-19-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Good call by the NYC police commissioner. It won't bring Mr. Garner back, but at least a cop who behaved recklessly is no longer a menace.
The union will try to get him reinstated I bet. Or, he'll just jump to a different police force.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:05 PM

Ohio officer accused of filming himself urinating on girl waiting for school bus

A Cleveland Police Officer has been charged with attempted kidnapping and multiple sexual offenses involving a 12-year-old girl, prosecutors said.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ys/2081834001/
Old 08-23-2019, 11:16 AM

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/22/75338...TD3NhXUEL6_HlU
Old 08-23-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
OK?
Old 08-23-2019, 01:08 PM

Controversial Encounters with Jay Z

-God
Old 08-23-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Ohio officer accused of filming himself urinating on girl waiting for school bus

A Cleveland Police Officer has been charged with attempted kidnapping and multiple sexual offenses involving a 12-year-old girl, prosecutors said.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ys/2081834001/
How the fuck was he STILL a cop by that time?

Just waiting for our favorite cop sucker to come along and blame the little girl for being in the wrong place at the wrong time - or resisting - or something.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post

Just waiting for our favorite cop sucker to come along and blame the little girl for being in the wrong place at the wrong time - or resisting - or something.
Do we know what she was wearing? I've heard that it's a woman's fault for being assaulted if they are wearing things that cause men to assault them.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post

And he just got robbed.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Controversial Encounters with Jay Z
and R Kelly.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:39 PM

Former Houston officer accused of lying to get warrant faces murder charges after botched raid

Quote:
Goines obtained a warrant for a "no knock" raid from a municipal judge under false pretenses, which included claiming a criminal informant purchased heroin from a man at the address the day before and that the man selling drugs was known to have a gun, among other things
Ogg said that because two people died while Goines was allegedly committing a felony -- tampering with a government record by obtaining one under false pretenses -- he was charged with two counts of felony murder in the deaths. She indicated a grand jury could consider capital charges.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
She indicated a grand jury could consider capital charges.
Maybe the death penalty can actually serve as a deterrent.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Yeah, as long as "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 mentality persists, our cops will continue to have "controversial encounters".

Have that as "Judged by 12, then carried by 6", and maybe some things will change.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Call me cynical, but I don't see a panel of Texas jurors convicting a cop under the Felony Murder Rule. On the falsifying documents and such, maybe.

Still, potentially being on trial for your life might open a few eyes.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:07 PM

Wow, this is surprising, and good to see. No-knock raids should be very infrequent, a last resort exercise after all of the I'd are dotted and t's are crossed. Lying to get a warrant deserves a stiff penalty, for sure.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:26 AM

Kenneth French's parents are alive and out of the hospital and they'd like to see their son's killer stand trial.
Quote:
The parents of a mentally ill man who was fatally shot by an off-duty police officer in a California Costco store called for him to be criminally charged as they recover from their own gunshot wounds.
Quote:
Paola French told reporters she and her husband shouted at Sanchez not to shoot and that their son was not a threat.

“I was pleading for my son and our lives, but I was still shot in the back,” she said, fighting back tears. “What threat did I pose to him?”

Russell French, who lost a kidney after the shooting and remained in a hospital until last week, said he “begged” the officer not to fire.

“I told him we had no guns and my son was sick,” French said.

The family on Monday filed a claim — a precursor to a lawsuit — against Sanchez and the Los Angeles Police Department.
I continue to think that Officer Sanchez's story makes little sense yet I have little hope that he will be prosecuted.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Kenneth French's parents are alive and out of the hospital and they'd like to see their son's killer stand trial.I continue to think that Officer Sanchez's story makes little sense yet I have little hope that he will be prosecuted.
Quote:
“My client was assaulted. He was acting in self-defense,” said Ira Salzman, a lawyer for Sanchez. “It’s a horrible tragedy for both families.”
He was acting self defense and shot two other people who were yelling 'don't shoot'.

It's a horrible tragedy for ONE family. The other family still has all it's members and they got all their kidneys.

-God
Old 08-27-2019, 01:25 PM

A black homeowner was handcuffed and detained in his boxers after his burglar alarm went off

Quote:
On Monday, Raleigh police explained the officers' actions, saying there were several clues that led police to believe a real burglary might have happened.
I guess asking the man to produce identification was out of the question. This time.
Quote:
Oyeneyin said he's had about four false alarms before. But in the past, police usually came to his house and asked for identification. The officer typically took note of the incident and left, Oyeneyin said.

Not this time.
Hey, at least they didn't shoot him.

-God
Old 08-27-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Kenneth French's parents are alive and out of the hospital and they'd like to see their son's killer stand trial.I continue to think that Officer Sanchez's story makes little sense yet I have little hope that he will be prosecuted.
Dirty Sanchez will keep his job and probably get a promotion after his administrative leave is over. I hope the French family get some form of a pay day for their loss and the various health issues they will have for life.

It is crazy that it will be a year long investigation before this officer gets cleared of all wrong doing. (Extreme sarcasm) if this happened in reverse Kenneth French would be rotting in a cell with no bail.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
It's a horrible tragedy for ONE family.
Yes, but the other family has to watch as the heroic constable family-member is pilloried in the press, when all he did was use his gun to stop a stranger from pestering him. Is that not what a sidearm is for?
Old 08-28-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
It's Texas. They'll probably give him a medal instead. I lived in Texas for a few years, and their cops are utter shit.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Yes, but the other family has to watch as the heroic constable family-member is pilloried in the press, when all he did was use his gun to stop a stranger from pestering him. Is that not what a sidearm is for?
Textbook definition of "good guy with a gun." I'm surprised this story hasn't yet popped up over in the positive gun news thread.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:07 PM

2 ex-NYPD officers accused of raping teen in police van avoid jail after pleading guilty in plea deal
Quote:
Two former NYPD officers who had sex in a police van with an 18-year-old woman they'd taken into custody in 2017 -- she claimed it was rape, the officers claimed it was consensual
Quote:
Gonzalez continued, "As a result of this disturbing incident, New York passed a law to prohibit police officers from having sex with people in their custody, closing a loophole that had allowed officers to claim the sex was consensual. We could not apply the new law retroactively, and serious credibility issues in this case precluded us from proceeding on additional charges, yet we remained committed to holding these defendants accountable."
Anyone claiming to have consensual sex with a suspect in custody should be taken out back and shot.

Instead, they get probation and will sign on with another police force after the heat dies down.

The law ain't all it's cracked up to be , is it?

-God
Old 08-29-2019, 04:06 PM

How the fuck is that even supposed to work?

- Yeah, I arrested her, handcuffed her and immediately read her rights at which point she asked me my sign. Being a Sagittarius with a Mercury Retrograde, I asked her if she came here often. One thing led to another ...

Last edited by Jack Batty; 08-29-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
2 ex-NYPD officers accused of raping teen in police van avoid jail after pleading guilty in plea deal

Anyone claiming to have consensual sex with a suspect in custody should be taken out back and shot.

Instead, they get probation and will sign on with another police force after the heat dies down.

For real? Jesus, what the actual FUCK is that about?

'Consensual sex' with two officers who have just arrested you? How was that even a loophole for the last like 100 years?? Totes screwy.

Last edited by kambuckta; 08-30-2019 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

A woman gave birth alone in a jail cell after her cries for help were ignored, lawsuit says

Denver Jail officials watched on as a woman gave birth completely by herself in a jail cell and didn’t call an ambulance until half an hour after the baby was delivered.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
A woman gave birth alone in a jail cell after her cries for help were ignored, lawsuit says

Denver Jail officials watched on as a woman gave birth completely by herself in a jail cell and didn’t call an ambulance until half an hour after the baby was delivered.
Jesus-fucking-X! That poor woman.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
after an internal investigation conducted by the Denver Sheriff Department cleared its deputies of wrongdoing — a result that left Sanchez’s attorney, Mari Newman, “profoundly disappointed.”

“That’s just emblematic of how broken the system really is,” Newman told The Washington Post. “They claim to have done a review and their conclusion is that nothing was wrong with the fact that a woman was never taken to the hospital and ended up giving birth in a dirty, cold, hard jail cell. It’s really unfathomable.”
It's official. Cops are fundamentally bad people.

-God
Old 08-30-2019, 10:19 AM

I presume there are already laws on the books that don't allow the baby to sue for wrongful imprisonment, but I'd like to see it tried.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-30-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:46 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:

Wait a moment. Didn't they plead to a felony? That makes them ineligible (I hope) to be coppers ever again anywhere in the country, doesn't it?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:01 PM

Female inmate beaten 'within an inch of death' by Florida prison guards: lawsuit

Quote:
A female inmate who requested medical assistance inside a facility near Orlando was instead beaten “within an inch of death” by male guards, a lawsuit filed this week alleges, in what her attorney is describing to Fox News as the “worst case of prison abuse in Florida I’ve ever seen.”
Quote:
“One or more of the John Doe Defendants slammed Plaintiff Cheryl Weimar to the ground” and “while down, they brutally beat her with blows to her head, neck, and back,” it continues. “At least one John Doe Defendant elbowed Plaintiff Cheryl Weimar in the back of her neck, causing her to suffer a broken neck.”
Quote:
The lawsuit says Weimar is now a quadriplegic who has to breathe and be fed through tubes

-God
Old 09-05-2019, 08:00 PM

When this is proven true, these fucksticks need to face a similar fate.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Wait a moment. Didn't they plead to a felony? That makes them ineligible (I hope) to be coppers ever again anywhere in the country, doesn't it?
Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there! Nope. You must have missed this a few months ago: The Village Where Every Cop Has Been Convicted of Domestic Violence
Quote:
Dozens of convicted criminals have been hired as cops in Alaska communities. Often, they are the only applicants. In Stebbins, every cop has a criminal record, including the chief.
Quote:
When Nimeron Mike applied to be a city police officer here last New Year’s Eve, he didn’t really expect to get the job.

Mike was a registered sex offender and had served six years behind bars in Alaska jails and prisons. He’d been convicted of assault, domestic violence, vehicle theft, groping a woman, hindering prosecution, reckless driving, drunken driving and choking a woman unconscious in an attempted sexual assault. Among other crimes.

“My record, I thought I had no chance of being a cop,” Mike, 43, said on a recent weekday evening, standing at his doorway in this Bering Strait village of 646 people.

He was wrong.

On the same day Mike filled out the application, the city of Stebbins hired him, handing him a policeman’s cellphone to answer calls for help.

Get Our Top Investigations
Subscribe to the Big Story newsletter.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
“Am I a cop now?” he remembers thinking. “It’s like, that easy?”

The short answer is yes. With low pay and few people wanting the jobs, it is that easy in some small Alaska communities for a convicted felon, even someone who has admitted to a sex crime or who was recently released from prison, to be hired with public money to work as a city police officer.

It’s also a violation of state public safety regulations, yet it happens all the time.
Or this story from 2016:
Quote:
Scott Martin could not be a police officer in Texas, but his felony burglary guilty pleas were no obstacle to certification for law enforcement work in Colorado.
Quote:
Martin is one of 39 applicants with criminal backgrounds who received exemptions allowing them to seek, receive or extend certification in Colorado in the past five years. The Denver Post, which has published a series of articles on police officers certified and hired in Colorado despite troubled pasts, sought records from the state for all applicants who applied for exemptions since 2010.

There were 192 applicants, of whom 170 obtained exemptions. Many were seeking extensions to their certifications, which were expiring because of extended lapses in employment at police agencies. Officers seeking to transfer from an agency in another state also often were granted exemptions from work history requirements.
Or this comprehensive USA Today article from April of this year:
Quote:
The USA TODAY Network identified 32 people who became police chiefs or sheriffs despite a finding of serious misconduct, usually at another department. At least eight of them were found guilty of a crime. Others amassed records of domestic violence, improperly withholding evidence, falsifying records or other conduct that could impact the public they swore to serve.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=Snowboarder Bo;21843738]Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there! Nope. You must have missed this a few months ago: The Village Where Every Cop Has Been Convicted of Domestic ViolenceOr this story from 2016:Or this comprehensive USA Today article from April of this year:[/QUOTE

So even in the rare chance that the scum get busted, they get a second chance. WTF?!?
Old 09-05-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
It's official. Cops are fundamentally bad people.
Wow. Painting with a wide brush there, aren't you?

I know quite a few cops. They are great people. But with any group of people, you can put them on a bell curve and some will wind up on the left end. Those are the ones that absolutely screw things up for the others.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:57 PM

I don't understand this. Are there some exceptions in the "assault" laws for prison guards or what?
Old 09-05-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taesahnim View Post

I know quite a few cops. They are great people. But with any group of people, you can put them on a bell curve and some will wind up on the left end. Those are the ones that absolutely screw things up for the others.
Can you link to where these "great people" have public denounced the behavior of those that screw things up for the others?
Old 09-05-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Can you link to where these "great people" have public denounced the behavior of those that screw things up for the others?

So the cops are all Muslims now?
Old 09-05-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taesahnim View Post

I know quite a few cops. They are great people.
But what do you mean when you say this?

Are they good people to have a BBQ and a beer with? Are they good shortstops and outfielders on your softball league? I'm sure that, for just about every bullying and malicious and brutal and criminal cop in this thread, I could find any number of friends and family who would say that they are "great people." I'm sure that the NYPD cop who choked Eric Garner to death is considered "great people" by a whole lot of his neighbors.

Have you been on patrol with these friends of yours? Have you watched them deal with belligerent suspects, or prosecute a search warrant, or arrest a drug suspect? Have you seen how they treat the public in the day-to-day back and forth of being a cop? Have you heard how they talk when there are only other cops around?

My stepfather was a cop for almost 30 years. My mother's last job before she retired was as a civilian administrative worker in a police department. Half the guests at their wedding were cops, and they were all fun and friendly and apparently decent people. I'm not saying that your friends aren't great people, and they might well be excellent cops. I think my stepfather was a good guy (he's dead now), and I get the sense that he was serious about doing the job in a professional manner, but honestly, I really don't know how any of them acted on the job.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
So the cops are all Muslims now?
What?
Old 09-05-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
What?
I assume it is a riff on "Why don't Muslim's loudly denounce every act of Islamic terrorism" question that comes up every time someone says "not all Muslims".
Old 09-05-2019, 11:30 PM

Folacin got it in one.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:34 PM

Jury selection for the woman who killed Botham Jean for sitting in his own Dallas apartment started today.
Quote:
The jury selection process began Friday, which is the one-year anniversary of Jean’s death. The goal is to finalize a panel by Sept. 13. Testimony is scheduled to begin Sept. 23.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I assume it is a riff on "Why don't Muslim's loudly denounce every act of Islamic terrorism" question that comes up every time someone says "not all Muslims".
But Muslims DO in fact denounce acts of Islamic terrorism.

How many cops denounce acts of police brutality?
Old 09-06-2019, 02:00 PM

Vanishingly few, unless a trial has already convicted someone. And then it's just "a few".
Old 09-06-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Vanishingly few, unless a trial has already convicted someone. And then it's just "a few".
Right. Since all the stories and videos and testimony are only about a few "bad apples", there should be overwhelming outcry from all the great cops reassuring us that those "bad apples" don't represent what the "good" police stand for.

I don't see it.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Right. Since all the stories and videos and testimony are only about a few "bad apples", there should be overwhelming outcry from all the great cops reassuring us that those "bad apples" don't represent what the "good" police stand for.

I don't see it.
Blue protects Blue above all else.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Blue protects Blue above all else.

I know that's a popular saying, but in reality it's horseshit. Yes, too many Blue do protect Blue, but it by no means is "above all else". FTR, even one doing so is too many. There are cops who have been turned in by other cops and the former have been incarcerated.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:35 PM

SEP 6, 2019
ICE agents in civilian clothes approached three people in a van in Tennessee and demanded to see their IDs. Two of the men in the van complied, one did not, as is his right. One of the ICE agents shot him.
https://www.latinorebels.com/2019/09...gentopensfire/
Old 09-07-2019, 12:45 PM

Rick, this is another one you got (slightly) wrong. No one was shot. The man was shot at but we have no knowledge of whether or not the was hit, according to your link.

I'm not trying to absolve the ICE agent who clearly should not be ANY kind of enforcement officer, just making sure the facts are clearly represented.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-07-2019 at 12:47 PM.