Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-12-2015, 02:30 PM
edwardcoast is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,148

Women with a chin beard - Why?


The customer service woman in a store had a chin beard. It looked something like this:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...b.jpg?enlarged

I'm sure she does her job fine. But why would a woman not do something about this to remove the hair? Or is there nothing they can do and have given up?
  #2  
Old 12-12-2015, 02:43 PM
BigBlue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardcoast View Post
The customer service woman in a store had a chin beard. It looked something like this:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...b.jpg?enlarged

I'm sure she does her job fine. But why would a woman not do something about this to remove the hair? Or is there nothing they can do and have given up?
Some people enjoy the attention.
  #3  
Old 12-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Foggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardcoast View Post
But why would a woman not do something about this to remove the hair?
:sigh:
Why should she?
__________________
Sometimes I use words I don't understand so I can sound more photosynthesis.

Last edited by Foggy; 12-12-2015 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Radium Fruitcake is almost ready!
  #4  
Old 12-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Pai325 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,644
Stray hairs could be put down to poor eyesight or trembling fingers. What you linked to is something deliberate, and I guess she likes it that way.

Or else she just can't keep up with the daily shaving, doesn't like it, and just said, "Screw it." My husband will go for days without shaving because it's too difficult for him now, and looks like a bum sometimes, but he's a man, so he doesn't get the same scrutiny as a woman does.
  #5  
Old 12-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Foggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
Some people enjoy the attention.
Maybe, or maybe she doesn't give a fuck what people think.
  #6  
Old 12-12-2015, 03:20 PM
BigBlue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
:sigh:
Why should she?
Because she is a repulsive freak of nature.
  #7  
Old 12-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Cub Mistress is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
Because she is a repulsive freak of nature.
no one is actually obligated to look a certain way to satisfy you.
  #8  
Old 12-12-2015, 05:21 PM
LiliesOfTheField is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 93
Thick hairs are painful and difficult to remove without leaving behind stubble, ingrown hair, scarring, etc. Women's skin is thinner than men's, so shaving results in more health and aesthetic problems for women than for men.

Plucking is painful. Waxing is painful. Chemical removal can be painful. All three need a little stubble to work. Shaving leaves stubble. Electrolysis is expensive and doesn't always work. Bleaching just gives you blond hair.

Sometimes the best choice is to say "it's not my problem. It's yours." Which was true to begin with, really.
  #9  
Old 12-12-2015, 05:58 PM
Foggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
Because she is a repulsive freak of nature.
That is your problem then, not hers.
  #10  
Old 12-12-2015, 06:30 PM
monstro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 20,728
Maybe she is the master of How Not to Give a Fuck.

Which doesn't mean she has necessarily "given up". Rather, it probably means she saving her fucks for something more important.
  #11  
Old 12-12-2015, 06:36 PM
GrumpyBunny is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: behind the sofa
Posts: 4,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
Because she is a repulsive freak of nature.
Why don't you offer to pay for her hormone medication and hair removal? Obviously it would count as a good deed, and she would no longer exist to offend your sensibilities.
  #12  
Old 12-12-2015, 07:28 PM
Mr. Nylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bed
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Mistress View Post
no one is actually obligated to look a certain way to satisfy you.
But is anyone obliged to not be repulsed by behavior resulting form someone not giving a fuck what people think?
  #13  
Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 PM
araminty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 2,789
Some people have religious beliefs which preclude them from removing or cutting their hair. There was an awesome incident a few years back where a rude person made a similar comment to the OP's on Reddit, and was soundly schooled by other users, and the woman in the photo herself. Story here.

As Lindy West, author of the above story says, "Women have hair on their bodies—and, yes, faces—and that some women are bold, self-assured, and pious enough not to cave to western beauty standards (and gender expectations)."
  #14  
Old 12-12-2015, 08:46 PM
MoodIndigo1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,080
Some women have facial hair, some men have manboobs, neither makes them repulsive. The OP has a problem of his own, one that makes him slightly distasteful, but even he is not repulsive. Yet.
  #15  
Old 12-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Foggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
But is anyone obliged to not be repulsed by behavior resulting form someone not giving a fuck what people think?
You are free to be "repulsed" by anything you want to be, but again that is on you.
  #16  
Old 12-12-2015, 09:49 PM
Mr. Nylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bed
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
You are free to be "repulsed" by anything you want to be, but again that is on you.
But what difference does it make if I'm repulsed or not if the person I'm repulsed by has no concern for what I think? It's like what if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it does it make a sound.
  #17  
Old 12-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Cub Mistress is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
But what difference does it make if I'm repulsed or not if the person I'm repulsed by has no concern for what I think? It's like what if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it does it make a sound.
Exactly. It makes no difference if you are repulsed or disapproving or whatever, because it is not about you.
  #18  
Old 12-12-2015, 10:27 PM
j666 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Away for a while
Posts: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
But is anyone obliged to not be repulsed by behavior resulting form someone not giving a fuck what people think?
A beard is not behavior.

Failing to maintain good hygiene or grooming might be, but there is not evidence of that.
  #19  
Old 12-12-2015, 10:55 PM
BigBlue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
That is your problem then, not hers.
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to.
  #20  
Old 12-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Foggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
[snip]... if the person I'm repulsed by has no concern for what I think?
If you find me repulsive for what ever reason, why should I be concern about what you think?
  #21  
Old 12-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Foggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to.
I did want an answer, and it told me a lot about you.
  #22  
Old 12-12-2015, 11:22 PM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiliesOfTheField View Post
Bleaching just gives you blond hair.
If you're lucky: in my case, it produces onyx-black hairs on a background of red, irritated skin. Thankfully other methods work better.

Sometimes a hair that looks very thick and like it should be easy to pluck... isn't. Waxing the chin is almost impossible, you need a damn beehive to catch more than two hairs. If the people whose opinion the woman in question cares about don't give a fuck, why should she?


ETA: or hell, she could be in the first stages of FtoM therapy, for all we know.

Last edited by Nava; 12-12-2015 at 11:23 PM.
  #23  
Old 12-13-2015, 12:38 AM
Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13,942
"She was a handsome woman..."

Last edited by Ambivalid; 12-13-2015 at 12:40 AM.
  #24  
Old 12-13-2015, 02:23 AM
Broomstick's Avatar
Broomstick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 29,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
Because she is a repulsive freak of nature.
No one is obligated to alter his or her body to please you. Failure to accommodate your every whim does not make that person a freak.
  #25  
Old 12-13-2015, 08:03 AM
IvoryTowerDenizen's Avatar
IvoryTowerDenizen is offline
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Shore of LI
Posts: 19,427

Mod Hat On


Everyone find a way to discuss this without insulting the other posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodIndigo1 View Post
Some women have facial hair, some men have manboobs, neither makes them repulsive. The OP has a problem of his own, one that makes him slightly distasteful, but even he is not repulsive. Yet.
Personal insults are not allowed in the forum, including saying the OP has a problem or is distasteful. The OP did not cast aspersions onto the person in question, but was simply asking what may motivate a women to leave excess facial hair.

No warnings issued

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 12-13-2015 at 08:03 AM.
  #26  
Old 12-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Mr. Nylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bed
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
A beard is not behavior.

Failing to maintain good hygiene or grooming might be, but there is not evidence of that.
Good lord. I'm not even going to try to go down this derp stained rabbit hole.

Last edited by Mr. Nylock; 12-13-2015 at 08:44 AM.
  #27  
Old 12-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 19,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
If you find me repulsive for what ever reason, why should I be concern about what you think?
"Why?" Who knows? It's almost invariably the case that the person IS concerned though. No one pulling the "it's your problem, not mine" thing actually ignores the criticism as being not their problem.
  #28  
Old 12-13-2015, 10:54 AM
2gigch1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 2,315
Whereas seeing a beard on a human female is not generally what we expect to see, I would hope that using this thing we call a brain to reason through it, we wouldn't jump to conclusions without facts.

My first reaction seeing anything that seems significantly different is to say "Wow, I know nothing about why that is. If it interests me enough I'll research it later."

What I don't do is assume there is some defect of character or intellect behind the sight I have seen, unless the individual is doing a good job of explaining to me using words and deeds that they are an idiot. Merely existing does not fall within that category.
  #29  
Old 12-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Foggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
"Why?" Who knows? It's almost invariably the case that the person IS concerned though. No one pulling the "it's your problem, not mine" thing actually ignores the criticism as being not their problem.
You are right, but they should be able to ignore it because it's ignorant.

I am morbidity obese, twice the size I should be. I have had complete fucking strangers tell me that I'm disgusting, disgraceful, and many more insults, and it hurts every goddamn time. None of these people knew anything about me. One woman said she was just concern with my health. Really!? So why didn't she say something about the root cause, my mental health which has FUBAR my life.

So if Mr. Nylock (as an example only) found me repulsive for kissing my boyfriend in public, I'm suppose to do what? Not kiss my boyfriend because it upsets someone?

Do I need to ask for approval to:
  • Cut my hair
  • Dye my hair
  • Get a tattoo
  • Get a piercing
  • Shave or not

I'm tired of these types of threads (which are almost always aimed at women) ask why some strange doesn't change their appearance to suit some arbitrarily standard of beauty.

Last edited by Foggy; 12-13-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: You don't aim women.
  #30  
Old 12-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Mr. Nylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bed
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy;18935286
So if [B
Mr. Nylock[/B] (as an example only) found me repulsive for kissing my boyfriend in public, I'm suppose to do what? Not kiss my boyfriend because it upsets someone?

Do I need to ask for approval to:
  • Cut my hair
  • Dye my hair
  • Get a tattoo
  • Get a piercing
  • Shave or not

I'm tired of these types of threads (which are almost always aimed at women) ask why some strange doesn't change their appearance to suit some arbitrarily standard of beauty.
Repulsion and disapproval are completely separate things.
  #31  
Old 12-13-2015, 03:01 PM
j666 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Away for a while
Posts: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
Good lord. I'm not even going to try to go down this derp stained rabbit hole.
You certainly don't have to do anything you don't want to, whether continuing a discussion or removing facial hair, but I don't see why this is a rabbit hole.
  #32  
Old 12-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 22,407
Am I the only one who thinks that photo looks like Jesus?
  #33  
Old 12-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Mr. Nylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bed
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
I don't see why this is a rabbit hole.
Not only is it a rabbit hole, it's a repulsive rabbit hole!

Last edited by Mr. Nylock; 12-13-2015 at 03:35 PM.
  #34  
Old 12-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Foggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
Repulsion and disapproval are completely separate things.
Not really. I've heard people express repulsion/disapproval at 2 men kissing, at mix race couples, at disable and/or disfigure people or basically anyone who deviates from the assumed "normal standards".

What do you want people who you are repulsed by to do?
Change to your standards?
Be kept away from decent people such as yourself?
What???
  #35  
Old 12-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Peremensoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
What do you want people who you are repulsed by to do?
Who says they are expected to do anything? Did I miss something?

I'd think generally it would be the repulsed who would need to move away from the repulsive. (That's what the words mean, right?)

Last edited by Peremensoe; 12-13-2015 at 05:12 PM.
  #36  
Old 12-13-2015, 05:22 PM
BigBlue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that photo looks like Jesus?
Well I said "Jesus Christ" when I saw the pic. Does that count?
  #37  
Old 12-13-2015, 05:26 PM
Mr. Nylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bed
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Not really. I've heard people express repulsion/disapproval at 2 men kissing, at mix race couples, at disable and/or disfigure people or basically anyone who deviates from the assumed "normal standards".

What do you want people who you are repulsed by to do?
Change to your standards?
Be kept away from decent people such as yourself?
What???
I want them to do whatever the hell makes them happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

There's a thread someone posted about someone extracting the gunk from a blackhead. It was repulsive. I watched the whole thing in rapt attention - I highly approve of that thread.
  #38  
Old 12-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Foggy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
I want them to do whatever the hell makes them happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.
Yet, you seemed to what them to consider your feelings that something they do might repulsed you. Did I misunderstand that?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
But is anyone obliged to not be repulsed by behavior resulting form someone not giving a fuck what people think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
But what difference does it make if I'm repulsed or not if the person I'm repulsed by has no concern for what I think?
  #39  
Old 12-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Mr. Nylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bed
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Yet, you seemed to what them to consider your feelings that something they do might repulsed you. Did I misunderstand that?
I answered this with my forest trees falling sound post upthread. I find the appearance of this woman repulsive, it's just my natural reaction. It doesn't mean I think that she should change or do anything on my account or that she is a bad person or that I feel superior or that I look down upon her; I just see the image and my reaction is a wee bit of stomach churning.

This is just one of many things that makes my stomach churn, or has made my stomach churn. For example, I used to have the same reaction to amputees - but now I've seen so many I don't even think twice, same thing with burn victims. Same thing with heavy body odor - just to throw in an olfactory example for shits and grins.

Once when I was a teenager I got lost and I stopped at a bar to ask directions. The bartender had no thumb, it was a little unsettling but I felt bad because he seemed like a really nice guy. In that case I felt bad about my natural repulsion. The difference between that and this situation - as proposed by some posters - could be that she just does not care what I or anyone thinks. If that is the case why would I even bother feeling bad about having a natural repulsion to her appearance?

Hopefully this clears things up.
  #40  
Old 12-13-2015, 09:12 PM
j666 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Away for a while
Posts: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
Not only is it a rabbit hole, it's a repulsive rabbit hole!
So you don't intend to discuss the issue? Why reply, then?
  #41  
Old 12-13-2015, 09:36 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
If that is the case why would I even bother feeling bad about having a natural repulsion to her appearance?
Because pretty much the only reason you could find it repulsive would be a form of transphobia? Something about the deviation from the gender binary trips something in your lizard brain to say it's WRONG.

And that's not me sitting on some high perch. I have some of the same issues with my feelings and the gender binary, and it's something I'm actively working to correct about myself. I have to work on overriding my lizard brain, too.

Because how can I expect it out of others--to fight their own natural prejudices--if I don't work on the same thing in myself?
  #42  
Old 12-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Mr. Nylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bed
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
And that's not me sitting on some high perch. I have some of the same issues with my feelings and the gender binary, and it's something I'm actively working to correct about myself. I have to work on overriding my lizard brain, too.
I can see from this response that you have carefully read the thread and fully understand all of the emotions and thoughts I am expressing.
  #43  
Old 12-13-2015, 09:43 PM
Mr. Nylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bed
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
So you don't intend to discuss the issue? Why reply, then?
I did discuss the issue; but I thought your particular response was too idiotic to really spend any time on.
  #44  
Old 12-13-2015, 10:30 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,983
When it comes to issues of shocking appearance (and videos of popping boils and pimples):
[Not PC or Particularly Enlightened] Ewwwww... [/NPCPE]
  #45  
Old 12-13-2015, 10:55 PM
j666 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Away for a while
Posts: 7,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
I did discuss the issue; but I thought your particular response was too idiotic to really spend any time on.
Of course you did.
  #46  
Old 12-14-2015, 06:17 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 32,793
I have a beard (I'm a guy) but I can't figure out guys my age with thickets of ear, nostril, and eyebrow hair. You know, the guys who look like Lon Chaney's Wolfman?

Just looks uncomfortable.
  #47  
Old 12-14-2015, 07:35 AM
Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 12,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
A beard is not behavior.

Failing to maintain good hygiene or grooming might be, but there is not evidence of that.
Indeed - the beard in the photo at the OP's link appears to be rather meticulously groomed. I have to give her credit for owning it: she isn't fighting a losing battle to hide it (with bleach or shaving or avoiding being out in public), and she isn't giving up and letting it grow like a weed.

I'm a guy, and I don't like shaving every day; I shave every two days, and just accept that I'm going to have heavy stubble near the end of each 2-day cycle. If I were her, I don't know how I'd deal with such a fertile field of follicles festooning my female face. I suppose I might consider electrolysis or laser treatment, but I expect those aren't cheap, and may come with side effects and/or risks.

ETA: here's the article that featured the photo provided by the OP.

Last edited by Machine Elf; 12-14-2015 at 07:37 AM.
  #48  
Old 12-14-2015, 08:48 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Because pretty much the only reason you could find it repulsive would be a form of transphobia?
I am absolutely SHOCKED that you would immediately consider it transphobia.
  #49  
Old 12-14-2015, 10:19 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I have a beard (I'm a guy) but I can't figure out guys my age with thickets of ear, nostril, and eyebrow hair. You know, the guys who look like Lon Chaney's Wolfman?

Just looks uncomfortable.
There is a doctor I work with who grows a thatch right on top of his nose. Sometimes he'll get rid of it and then next time you see him it's back again, a Brillo pad right in the middle of his face. It'd be less distracting if it at least came out of the nostrils like everyone else's.
  #50  
Old 12-14-2015, 03:24 PM
edwardcoast is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
You are right, but they should be able to ignore it because it's ignorant.

I am morbidity obese, twice the size I should be. I have had complete fucking strangers tell me that I'm disgusting, disgraceful, and many more insults, and it hurts every goddamn time. None of these people knew anything about me. One woman said she was just concern with my health. Really!? So why didn't she say something about the root cause, my mental health which has FUBAR my life.

So if Mr. Nylock (as an example only) found me repulsive for kissing my boyfriend in public, I'm suppose to do what? Not kiss my boyfriend because it upsets someone?

Do I need to ask for approval to:
  • Cut my hair
  • Dye my hair
  • Get a tattoo
  • Get a piercing
  • Shave or not

I'm tired of these types of threads (which are almost always aimed at women) ask why some strange doesn't change their appearance to suit some arbitrarily standard of beauty.
I'm the OP. My intention was not to insult anyone. I asked the question, because I am a respectful person and wouldn't dream of walking up to the customer person woman and asking her about her appearance. Just like I wouldn't dream of asking a stranger who is morbidity obese about their weight. I came to Straight Dope to ask the question, to get the straight dope!

Those that believe when someone sees something unusual, they shouldn't notice it, then that would require an extremely low intelligence not found in humans. So I added that nickname to my ignore list.

So the majority of what we have learned here, is that some women have had struggles with facial hair and decided to give up and make the best of it, because all the procedures to go through sound like a never-ending battle. There are others who simply don't care how they look and aren't concerned if it fits into to what everyone else is doing. At least that's what people have expressed here, we have not heard from a woman who has facial hair like the photo and enlighten us.

The question is because it is rare to see women with facial hair like I did, and wondered what that was all about. It should not be taken as an insult, and frankly it is offensive for someone to be criticized for simply asking a question. There was no agenda behind the question. This is why forums exist to have a discussion.

Last edited by edwardcoast; 12-14-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017