Old 12-07-2017, 03:50 PM

Socks definitely. A matched set. Very hard to find in the wild.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCarolinus View Post
Actually, yes, I did read the rules, and haven't accused anyone of being a sock or a troll. I did ask *you* directly how you figure that annoying off-the-clock small talk counts as harassment and opined that you are confirming, not negating, the OP you responded to. But you didn't answer, you merely insulted me and the other poster who disagreed with you.

No jury in the US would side in your favor, yet you insist you were forced to quit your job because some pain in the ass commented on your lunch choices.

So... over reaction? Exaggerate harassment? Hell, yeah. I'm not at all surprised your employer didn't side with you.

Let me guess, you're going to report me and the other guy for harassment and get us both banned because we didn't agree with you?
Other guy?? You said you were a woman in the IMHO thread:

Quote:
I'm a woman.
I know it's hard to keep the lies straight.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Look at the facts, these two yahoos joined the dope one minute apart today. Appeared in the same thread, taking the same stance.
Both immediately found the pit thread with the barest of reference to it.
They are TROLLs. Socks too undoubtably.
This message board has very few members. Very few topics, limited threads, not much going on. Anyone who selects "Message Board" can see the handful of topics. And, unless you've suffered a stroke within the last 120 seconds, you are the poster who pointed me here.

Quote:
He already earned a mention in that special thread in that special place.

ETA> Actually, 2 of them earned a mention. ^
Shouldn't you be eager to take credit for instigating a total devolution of an adult conversation? This is your idea, not mine. I merely agreed with the OP of a thread in a forum entitled (gasp! MY STARS!!) In My Humble Opinion.

Alas, my opinion supports the OP rather than an insider. Hell bent on showing anyone who deviates from the hive out, huh?
Old 12-07-2017, 03:52 PM

I have to step out for a few hours. I'll let the rest of you carry on with the merriment and awarding of placks.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:53 PM

That was a good catch Helena. I don't know that anyone ever caught a pair of socks in one post before.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
This message board has very few members. Very few topics, limited threads, not much going on. Anyone who selects "Message Board" can see the handful of topics. And, unless you've suffered a stroke within the last 120 seconds, you are the poster who pointed me here.

Shouldn't you be eager to take credit for instigating a total devolution of an adult conversation? This is your idea, not mine. I merely agreed with the OP of a thread in a forum entitled (gasp! MY STARS!!) In My Humble Opinion.

Alas, my opinion supports the OP rather than an insider. Hell bent on showing anyone who deviates from the hive out, huh?
Look, you're busted. You tried way too hard. Most of us have already gotten the memo. Spin it any way you want to, we have your number.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Other guy?? You said you were a woman in the IMHO thread:

I know it's hard to keep the lies straight.

The username is "John". I'm assuming it's a guy. But I won't be showing you either my tits or my perfectly pedicured toes, ya weirdos.

Honestly, you're echo chamber is pathological. No wonder the board is so small.

FTR: yes, some women, apparently Straight Dope women, vastly exaggerate harassment. Jesus I hope you guys all have a safety net, a back-up source of income, and a lifetime supply of butthurt cream.

Can't believe so many of you qualify off-the-clock comments on lunch for Pity's Sake as harassment. Surely you are all Nawth Chucka's socks? How can more than one of you buy that?

Enjoy your basement. There's no room for growth or common sense here.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Look, you're busted. You tried way too hard. Most of us have already gotten the memo. Spin it any way you want to, we have your number.
Yeah? Ask your mod to compare our IP addresses and I'll wait for your apology before I flounce out and refer six or seven of you to a good therapist. LMK what you find out, Sherlock.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Here comes the "I know the board because I was a lurker" line.
Followed shortly by the "this board sux anyway" flounce.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
The username is "John". I'm assuming it's a guy. But I won't be showing you either my tits or my perfectly pedicured toes, ya weirdos.

Honestly, you're echo chamber is pathological. No wonder the board is so small.

FTR: yes, some women, apparently Straight Dope women, vastly exaggerate harassment. Jesus I hope you guys all have a safety net, a back-up source of income, and a lifetime supply of butthurt cream.

Can't believe so many of you qualify off-the-clock comments on lunch for Pity's Sake as harassment. Surely you are all Nawth Chucka's socks? How can more than one of you buy that?

Enjoy your basement. There's no room for growth or common sense here.
So it seems.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Followed shortly by the "this board sux anyway" flounce.
No flounce, just disappointment. I have enjoyed the Straight Dope for years, have linked to it often. The message boards are hit or miss, but a couple of entertaining and well-read historians and geography buffs have made it an occasionally valuable resource.

I have been aware that I see the same ten or twenty usernames in every forum, but figured that was normal for an established board.

But maybe you can answer a question. Since you know very well that a moderator can confirm or deny separate IP addresses, you have nothing to gain or lose by accusing John and me by being socks.

Since you can easily discover the difference, what's the deal? Are you a series of socks? Do each of you really support the idea that NC was literally and legally being harassed? Are you that surprised that two people disagree, when any American citizen knows damn well she'd be laughed out of court and referred to a psychiatrist with that outlandish claim?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I'm not engaging with a troll.

They have the same posting style and inability to form paragraphs. I submit that they're the same person. They both found the Pit very quickly, too, from an abstract reference a garden-variety newbie wouldn't understand. Let the guessing game begin!
Personally, the tone suggests to me that someone's toes are getting pinched in the box.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah? Ask your mod to compare our IP addresses and I'll wait for your apology before I flounce out and refer six or seven of you to a good therapist. LMK what you find out, Sherlock.
Look, nice try, but you made way too many mistakes. We're not stupid. You're at least a pair of trolls if not a pair of matching socks.

I laugh when the two of you have conversations on line here. You're probably talking to yourself.

Last edited by Morgenstern; 12-07-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnod View Post
So it seems.
Weird, huh? They can easily compare our IP addresses. Who know that reddit is a comparative fount of logic and wisdom even though it's loaded with kids?

I mean, this place is the Straight Dope, and some users are brilliant. But this tribe ain't straight or dope. I feel genuine concern for their well-being and emotional health.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Look, nice try, but you made way too many mistakes. We're not stupid. You're at least a pair of trolls if not a pair of matching socks.
Do it. Ask a mod. I'll wait. You don't even have to apologize, just ask about our respective locations.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Weird, huh? They can easily compare our IP addresses. Who know that reddit is a comparative fount of logic and wisdom even though it's loaded with kids?

I mean, this place is the Straight Dope, and some users are brilliant. But this tribe ain't straight or dope. I feel genuine concern for their well-being and emotional health.
I wonder how much shorter this thread will be once the cornfield gets added to?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:16 PM

I really don't care if you think PC and I are the same person.

BUT!

I 've seen the error of my ways, thank you for pointing them out.

NC was obviously terribly put upon, I hope she sues, collects millions of dollars, puts the company out of business, and has that horrid woman put in prison for talking to her.

Again thank you so much for setting me straight.

I feel I'm a better person now, I have seen the light.

I was blind but now I see.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:16 PM

Damn, and I thought aceplace57 talked to himself a lot. But at least he only has the one name.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Do it. Ask a mod. I'll wait. You don't even have to apologize, just ask about our respective locations.
Look, most of us have IP masking software, VPNs, phone IPs, home Ips, wifi capable, etc. Go away and learn how to troll before returning.

Last edited by Morgenstern; 12-07-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:25 PM

So desperate for attention. Maybe the "smartest man in the room" gambit will prompt a response from us.

As the weatherman says, keep fuckin' that chicken.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
No flounce, just disappointment. I have enjoyed the Straight Dope for years, have linked to it often. ...
And there it is, as predicted, the "I've been lurking for years.

Quote:

... by accusing John and me by being socks.
Wow, less than an hour and you're on a first name basis already!

Dude, you're busted. You're embarrassing trolls ever where.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
And there it is, as predicted, the "I've been lurking for years.

Wow, less than an hour and you're on a first name basis already!

Dude, you're busted. You're embarrassing trolls ever where.
I'm guessing there is a miserable back story which causes you to defend Nawth's indefensible hypersensitivity?

So far not one of you (or are you all NC's socks, Hmmm???) Is willing to defend her complaint.

Can someone enlighten me before I flounce?

How is annoying small talk equal to harrassment?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:52 PM

Go ahead and flounce. I seriously doubt that will hurt any more than landing in the cornfield with your gear up will hurt.
Ask Santa for a copy of "Trolling for Dummies." Pay particular attention to the part about being smarter than your audience, then choose correctly next time.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
You already know the other socks location? You've talked quite a bit to each other already? It's like you're sitting at the same keyboard.

Last edited by Morgenstern; 12-07-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:27 PM

Got a new one here; I'm just not sure who's it is.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:34 PM

I've noticed him a few times recently. I lean towards sock, but I'm not sure.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
You beat me to it. Just asking questions, I'm sure! Still, it's worth a trip down memory lane for this important current event.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:06 PM

I guess you'll just have to take me at my word that I am NOT trying to troll or "just ask questions" - the latter implying that I'm asking the question disingenuously, to try to undermine the critics of Trump. And I get how it could be taken that way. "If they're wrong to criticize Trump for this, they're wrong to criticize him for other things too." No. Trump is a pile of shit. I take no issue with any of the substantive criticisms of his policies, his character flaws (which are numerous enough to comprise a treatise on narcissistic personality disorder), his blatant pandering to bigots, and just the fact that he is a total embarrassment to the office.

There is one guy who I'm friends with on Facebook who has been re-posting that image of Trump supposedly mocking the disabled reporter for the past year. I saw it and I remembered - as I do every time I see it - that I thought that particular criticism was reaching. So I thought I'd see what others had to say. That's it. Seriously.

I lurked on this board for about a year before registering, so I know what the concept of "just asking questions" means. I am not trying to do it. Seriously.

Obviously I can't force you to believe me....but if that were my intention, you'd see other such threads from me in the future. You're not going to. There is literally nothing else in Trump's litany of bullshit that I feel any compulsion to play Devil's Advocate for.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:16 PM

I'll take Calico Jack for 200 Alex.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:21 PM

Who the hell is this guy?

He left out:

Indian Giver
Gyped
Jewed-him-down-to (although that one might not have passed muster)

And probably a few other I can't think of right now.

Last edited by John Mace; 12-07-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:23 PM

It's odd how the newbies find this thread so quickly. It's almost like they expect to be discussed.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliana View Post
It's odd how the newbies find this thread so quickly. It's almost like they expect to be discussed.
Hope to be discussed...
Old 12-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Fake news, fake news! The proceeds to fail at reading comprehension as well as failing to understand what fake news is. When it's explained to him that fake new requires intent to deceive, he pulls a trumpian version of the creationist "how do you know, were you there" with "how do you know what his motives were?". Then ignores ppl correcting him and says hey check out this video from The View!
Now dumb doorhinge has taken over the mantle.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
There is one guy who I'm friends with on Facebook who has been re-posting that image of Trump supposedly mocking the disabled reporter for the past year. I saw it and I remembered - as I do every time I see it - that I thought that particular criticism was reaching. So I thought I'd see what others had to say. That's it. Seriously.
I am not known, I hope, for thoughtless partisan knee-jerk condemnation.

I cannot fathom how anyone could interpret Trump's mockery any other way. Trump is mentally a child, his behavior is consistent with how children behave, I have no problems believing a child would mock someone's disability with no clear concept of the impact it might have on that person or the consequences to himself. It was exactly what I would expect from an eleven-year-old. So yeah, that one's pretty airtight from my perspective.

As for accusations of trolling, this thread exists to point out familiar patterns in trollery (along with complaints about genuine assholes that are not annoying enough to merit their own thread.) If you're not a troll you're just in the unfortunate position of looking like a duck but not actually being a duck. As someone who was accused of trolling when I joined the boards 10 years ago, I recommend not taking it too personally. Time weeds out the real trolls.

FWIW, I also fucking hate Trump. I try never to waste an opportunity to say that.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:44 PM

I lurked here long enough to develop an understanding of which posters were the biggest pains in the ass, at any rate. aceplace(can't remember the numbers in his username but I know there are some), urbanredneck, and Clothahump. I think the first two are genuine trolls, and the latter is just a genuine far-right ideologue whose views are reprehensible. Shagnasty I think has an actual psychiatric problem, but there are elements of "how far can I push it to get a rise out of these people" that verge on trolling. His posts are too perversely interesting for me to want him to disappear, though.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:47 PM

Weird vaguely racist troll JBGUSA is back!

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=844098
Old 12-07-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
I cannot fathom how anyone could interpret Trump's mockery any other way. Trump is mentally a child, his behavior is consistent with how children behave, I have no problems believing a child would mock someone's disability with no clear concept of the impact it might have on that person or the consequences to himself. It was exactly what I would expect from an eleven-year-old. So yeah, that one's pretty airtight from my perspective.
Whatever the context, nobody who does that kind of physical pantomime in the middle of a speech, for any reason, should have the ability to activate nuclear bombs.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I lurked here long enough to develop an understanding....
Calico Jack? Just curious, am I close?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not engaging with a troll.

They have the same posting style and inability to form paragraphs. I submit that they're the same person. They both found the Pit very quickly, too, from an abstract reference a garden-variety newbie wouldn't understand. Let the guessing game begin!
You're quite right that both PCarolinus and johnod are illiterates who don't know how to form paragraphs. But so far only johnod has presented clear evidence of being comically inept in the use of commas. So the question of whether they're socks is enticingly ambiguous.

True, they are on the same side on the sexual harassment issue, the one colloquially known as the "wrong" or "stupid" side, the side that no rational person could possibly support. But here again we see differences. They reach their conclusions in different ways. They have, as it were, different deductive specialties. PCarolinus specializes in getting his facts all wrong, as LSLGuy explains to him here. Whereas johnod seems to specialize in spectacularly missing the point, which is on full display here.

So what can we conclude? We can certainly conclude that we are graced with the presence of a priceless matched pair of mouth-breathing troglodytes, but I fear that sockage is inconclusive. But certainly if one were, say, motivated to present one of them a plack, one would feel remiss not to present it to both, regarding these witless fucks as two souls with but a single thought, two hearts that beat as one.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post

More here.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...7&postcount=11
Old 12-07-2017, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

"Troll'' has also taken on really broad connotations that may or may not include genuine beliefs. By the standards of this thread, basically anything can be trolling if it pisses you off.

I don't mind entertaining and hard-working trolls.

I couldn't tell you why Shagnasty doesn't upset me as much as he seems to upset other people. He fits the profile of people who would normally piss me off. I think because there seems to be some real suffering there which mediates any anger I might otherwise feel. I don't get the impression of ill intent. More like helpless floundering in the shallow end of the dating pool.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post

Mazel Tov!

As an aside, this thread has become weirdly therapeutic for me.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:55 PM

Wow! Busy troll day!

It's been my observation that people who have truly been lurking for years post rather tentatively, then gain confidence. They don't immediately end up in the Pit, and certainly not two at once. That's the realm of trolls and socks.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:59 PM

What's the end game here? Five or six of you attack and insult anyone who disagrees, and attempt to bait others into name calling in order to get them banned.

Is there a leader of this army of synchophants, or do you just swarm anyone with an original thought until they cave and agree blindly with every nutty thought the old timers have?

Is this...is this Shirley Jackson's Lottery personified? The Village? Which one of you goosesteppers throws the first stone?
Old 12-07-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I couldn't tell you why Shagnasty doesn't upset me as much as he seems to upset other people. He fits the profile of people who would normally piss me off. I think because there seems to be some real suffering there which mediates any anger I might otherwise feel. I don't get the impression of ill intent. More like helpless floundering in the shallow end of the dating pool.
There's a literary quality to his persona. I've referred to him before as being like a John Irving character, with his frequent allusions to New England and his weird sexual issues, but there's also a Pat Conroy, Southern Gothic thing going on with the hardscrabble Louisiana poverty and the racial obsessions. How much is true, how much is embellished truth, and how much is outright fiction, we'll never know, but I hope the novel continues forever.

Last edited by Lamoral; 12-07-2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: OK, now that I think about it, I don't really hope it goes on forever, I hope he gets the help he needs someday
Old 12-07-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I guess you'll just have to take me at my word that I am NOT trying to troll or "just ask questions" - the latter implying that I'm asking the question disingenuously, to try to undermine the critics of Trump. And I get how it could be taken that way.
Perhaps part of the issue is where you placed it. To me, that question does not seems suitable for GD and probably should have been asked in IMHO. Not really much of a debate there.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
What's the end game here? Five or six of you attack and insult anyone who disagrees, and attempt to bait others into name calling in order to get them banned.

Is there a leader of this army of synchophants, or do you just swarm anyone with an original thought until they cave and agree blindly with every nutty thought the old timers have?

Is this...is this Shirley Jackson's Lottery personified? The Village? Which one of you goosesteppers throws the first stone?
This is the Pit. Call us anything you want in this forum. It won't get you banned. Disagreeing with us won't get you banned. You may get banned if the mods agree with our assessment that you are a troll/sock. A trock, if you will. If they don't, you'll continue here as long as you follow the rules.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's a literary quality to his persona. I've referred to him before as being like a John Irving character, with his frequent allusions to New England and his weird sexual issues, but there's also a Pat Conroy, Southern Gothic thing going on with the hardscrabble Louisiana poverty and the racial obsessions. How much is true, how much is embellished truth, and how much is outright fiction, we'll never know, but I hope the novel continues forever.
That's hilarious because I recently remarked to him that he would be the perfect romance novel protagonist. Handsome billionaire playboy with tragic backstory who can never love again? Throw in a BDSM fetish and a maid and we've got a bestseller.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:

I have to admit, I'm flattered to be considered an old timer! I always figured someone had to be here at least ten years for that designation. (Preens)
Old 12-07-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
That's hilarious because I recently remarked to him that he would be the perfect romance novel protagonist. Handsome billionaire playboy with tragic backstory who can never love again? Throw in a BDSM fetish and a maid and we've got a bestseller.
Except that thinking about Shags in that role makes me feel dirty, and not in a good way.