Old 01-22-2017, 09:21 AM

I guess Trump isn't lying about his inauguration numbers. He's merely using "alternative facts".
Old 01-22-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
I guess Trump isn't lying about his inauguration numbers. He's merely using "alternative facts".
From that link:
Quote:
A top adviser to President Donald Trump on Sunday said White House press secretary Sean Spicer provided “alternative facts” to reporters during his first briefing.

“You’re saying it’s a falsehood. And they’re giving, Sean Spicer, our press secretary, gave alternative facts to that,” Conway said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Host Chuck Todd fired back at Conway over her comments.

“Look, alternative facts are not facts,” said Chuck Todd. "They're falsehoods."...
IT IS TO LAUGH!

Also, I object to the genteel word "falsehood." They're LIES, and let's call them that. Trump certainly accused Hillary (and everyone else) of LYING.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
From that link:

IT IS TO LAUGH!

Also, I object to the genteel word "falsehood." They're LIES, and let's call them that. Trump certainly accused Hillary (and everyone else) of LYING.
You don't remember the shouts of "Falsehood purveying Hillary!!"?
Old 01-22-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Jesus Fucking Christ! How the fuck does she manage to keep a straight face through that interview with Chuck Todd? That must be some sort of new record in delusional denial. Even if she has no conscience or self awareness, how is it possible that the earth didn't open up and swallow her whole due to the sheer mass of the lies she was spewing?
Old 01-22-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Jesus Fucking Christ! How the fuck does she manage to keep a straight face through that interview with Chuck Todd? That must be some sort of new record in delusional denial. Even if she has no conscience or self awareness, how is it possible that the earth didn't open up and swallow her whole due to the sheer mass of the lies she was spewing?
You know, I don't put much credence in Revelations, but if anyone ever fit the profile of "Whore of Babylon"...

Last edited by El_Kabong; 01-22-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Jesus Fucking Christ! How the fuck does she manage to keep a straight face through that interview with Chuck Todd? That must be some sort of new record in delusional denial.
Lying isn't delusional. It's lying.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Lying isn't delusional. It's lying.
To say it with a straight face like that, I gotta believe she's delusional enough to actually believe the bullshit coming from her mouth.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
To say it with a straight face like that, I gotta believe she's delusional enough to actually believe the bullshit coming from her mouth.
She slipped up. I reckon that this is a term that they've used in private, that wasn't supposed to be public.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:30 PM
Elephant Whisperer

"Alternative facts." As I remarked in another thread, we are now officially living inside 1984.

I know Republicans in general are heartless filth, but really, what can be going through the minds of Conway and Spicer? What can they be thinking?
Old 01-22-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
"Alternative facts." As I remarked in another thread, we are now officially living inside 1984.

I know Republicans in general are heartless filth, but really, what can be going through the minds of Conway and Spicer? What can they be thinking?
Thinking? Well there's the problem right there.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Merriam Webster responds

HR 193, the "American Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2017":
Quote:
This bill repeals the United Nations Participation Act of 1945 and other specified related laws.

The bill requires: (1) the President to terminate U.S. membership in the United Nations (U.N.), including any organ, specialized agency, commission, or other formally affiliated body; and (2) closure of the U.S. Mission to the United Nations.

The bill prohibits: (1) the authorization of funds for the U.S. assessed or voluntary contribution to the U.N., (2) the authorization of funds for any U.S. contribution to any U.N. military or peacekeeping operation, (3) the expenditure of funds to support the participation of U.S. Armed Forces as part of any U.N. military or peacekeeping operation, (4) U.S. Armed Forces from serving under U.N. command, and (5) diplomatic immunity for U.N. officers or employees.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:35 PM

Trump doesn't understand the First Amendment.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Trump's staff reports that he will never release his tax returns, and they had to lie also to say that the people does not care.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b070d8cad32f89

As Donal Jr. said:

“Because he’s got a 12,000-page tax return that would create probably 300 million independent financial auditors out of every person in the country asking questions that would distract from his main message,”

Translation: 'Our disorganized crime family does not want to give you plebs any transparency.'
Old 01-22-2017, 03:49 PM

Michael Flynn Jr. doesn't understand the women's march. Since they already have equal rights and equal pay, they must have been marching for free mani/pedis
Old 01-22-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
She slipped up. I reckon that this is a term that they've used in private, that wasn't supposed to be public.
On the other hand, they do seem to live in an alternate reality.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
You don't remember the shouts of "Falsehood purveying Hillary!!"?
Multisyllable words from the Trump Camp?
Old 01-22-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
On the other hand, they do seem to live in an alternate reality.
Would that they did. Sadly, they live in ours.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd say they're in it for the money, but Trump doesn't pay his employees, so that's out.

Maybe being Minister of Propaganda comes with a sweet benefits package?
Old 01-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I'd say we have one chance in three of global nuclear war in the next four years.

Last edited by RickJay; 01-22-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I'd say they're in it for the money, but Trump doesn't pay his employees, so that's out.

Maybe being Minister of Propaganda comes with a sweet benefits package?
I don't know about Spicer, but it looks to me like Conway's doing it because Trump is supporting her smack habit. She does not look healthy.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:59 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I suspect Conway's doing it just because Trump lets her piss on his face. Who wouldn't jump at that chance?
Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Elephant Whisperer

As for his decision not to release his tax returns after all (Surprise! Surprise!), was there ever any proof they really were being audited? I recall the IRS saying they never confirmed or denied that sort of thing, so we only ever had Liar Trump's word for it that they were being audited in the first place.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
As for his decision not to release his tax returns after all (Surprise! Surprise!), was there ever any proof they really were being audited? I recall the IRS saying they never confirmed or denied that sort of thing, so we only ever had Liar Trump's word for it that they were being audited in the first place.
I'm willing to bet that his 1999 returns are no longer being audited, so this was never a real argument.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I'd say we have one chance in three of global nuclear war in the next four years.
"Chinese missiles on their way to US. Not smart! We have better missiles than anybody. Sad!"

Back on the topic of good old fashioned corruption, Trump has yet to transfer control of any of his companies. Pro Publica could find no evidence of paperwork being filed in any state to move the various Trump holdings to any of the Trumplings. Maybe all that official paperwork is still sitting in the manila folders in that press room.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ntent=20170122
Old 01-22-2017, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
As of this moment, there is still a petition up at whitehouse.gov so you can voice the fact that you care: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...use-compliance Currently, it has about as many signatures as people estimated by credible sources to have attended his inauguration...Let's see if we can get it up to the amount HE estimates attended his inauguration.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
To be fair -- and, god, I hate to do that -- Snopes points out that the same bill has been introduced every year for 20 years. No telling if Trump, et al., will take it seriously this time around.

http://www.snopes.com/us-pulling-out-of-un/
Old 01-22-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Personally, I'm looking forward to the Gordon Gekko administration...
Anthony Jeselnik at the Roast of Donald Trump:
"Donald, I'm not sure if you're even aware of this, but the only difference between you and Michael Douglas from the movie, Wall Street, is that no one's going to be sad when you get cancer."

Quote:
Like I wasn't already in love with Emmy Rossum, but she had the best tweet back to Trump:
"We did vote. And it was NOT for you."
Old 01-22-2017, 10:11 PM

El Trumpo has crowd size issues (similar to his hand size issues). He is losing patience with the dishonest media and the protesters. If the protesters and media do not unconditionally accept the alternative facts, El Trumpo will have no choice but to take military action.

The army will be ordered to take over all hostile media organizations. The anti-American broadcasts and websites will be replaced with infomercials for Trump Hotels and Ivanka's crappy jewelry.

All protesters will be captured and tortured until they agree with the alternative facts.

Get in line and praise our leader or else. Don't say you haven't been warned.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshore View Post
As of this moment, there is still a petition up at whitehouse.gov so you can voice the fact that you care: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...use-compliance Currently, it has about as many signatures as people estimated by credible sources to have attended his inauguration...Let's see if we can get it up to the amount HE estimates attended his inauguration.
Good call. I think there should also be a postcard movement, where we write to him on actual physical documents to express our sentiments about this.

That's one of the things I put on my WMW banner; not that it's so major in the grand scheme of things but it just irritates me that he's not only going to abandon his promise but is pretending it's because it doesn't really matter and nobody cares. Yeah, wrong.

By the way, on that same petitions page is one calling for divestiture/blind trust for Trump's assets, which still needs signatures to make its goal. I think that issue's important too.

Last edited by Kimstu; 01-22-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:15 PM

Trump implies that he would be open to invading Iraq again (under what pretext?) and taking its oil.
http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/politic...-silent-video/
There is sure a lot of blather in there in a minute and a half.

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 01-22-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:32 PM

The pretext of taking its oil.

Last edited by The Tooth; 01-22-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Trump implies that he would be open to invading Iraq again (under what pretext?) and taking its oil.
The arrogance of that casual suggestion, after he lambasted Clinton all campaign merely for voting with 76 other Senators to authorize the invasion as urgently demanded by the previous Republican President, is simply breathtaking.

It's very clear from that speech that the only reason Trump doesn't think the Iraq invasion was a good idea is because we didn't "win". Never mind the dishonest arguments, faked evidence, disaster for Iraqi people, loss of Iraqi lives, etc. If we had "won", by some kind of recognizable metric, Trump would probably be saying now that he supported the war all along.

And he'd be perfectly willing to do the same thing again if he thought we had a better chance of "winning". As a statesman, the guy is absolutely amoral.

Last edited by Kimstu; 01-22-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
The arrogance of that casual suggestion, after he lambasted Clinton all campaign merely for voting with 76 other Senators to authorize the invasion as urgently demanded by the previous Republican President, is simply breathtaking.

It's very clear from that speech that the only reason Trump doesn't think the Iraq invasion was a good idea is because we didn't "win". Never mind the dishonest arguments, faked evidence, disaster for Iraqi people, loss of Iraqi lives, etc. If we had "won", by some kind of recognizable metric, Trump would probably be saying now that he supported the war all along.

And he'd be perfectly willing to do the same thing again if he thought we had a better chance of "winning". As a statesman, the guy is absolutely amoral.
That statement from Trump shows that I was correct when I noticed months ago in a few threads that Trump is looking at the time America was great alright. But he was really referring to the days of America's Great Big Stick days. When The USA intimidated or invaded many nations to steal their resources in the name of United Fruit or Big Oil.

And then years later many Americans did wonder why those nations were looking at other ideologies to follow rather than the American way.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 01-22-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshore View Post
There's another one telling him to divest or put in a blind trust all of his assets. This one doesn't have enough signatures yet.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nancial-assets

Last edited by eulalia; 01-23-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulalia View Post
There's another one telling him to divest or put in a blind trust all of his assets. This one doesn't have enough signatures yet.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nancial-assets
Anyone else concerned about retribution signing these things?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
That is a reasonable concern. Not necessarily a reason not to do it. But a reasonable concern.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I recommend a throwaway email address and some alternative-fact contact information.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Fuck that. I want to be on Twitler's enemy list. It would be a badge of honor.

Last edited by JohnT; 01-23-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Render View Post
I've started mentally inserting "Loke" whenever I read "Trump". The world makes sense again. Disturbing sense, but still sense.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
The pretext of taking its oil.
Well, that and that Emperor Palpatine now rules Iraq and has a Death Star. He's already blown up America's closest ally and biggest trading partner, the planet of Alderaan.

Hey, it's alternative facts, man.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:48 PM

Trump brought his own cheering section with him to the CIA speech.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:56 PM

The White House comments line has been shut down.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:14 PM

Dammit, I suspected that when I read the transcript and watched some of the video, and was reminded of the claque of enthusiastic audience members at his press conference. But I didn't say anything because I thought "He couldn't be that shameless. Not in front of CIA people. He couldn't get away with that. Not at CIA headquarters."

Well, more fool me, because he could and he did, and if I'd predicted it I woulda looked smart!

I resolve here and now that henceforth I will never assume that there's any contemptible trick that Trump isn't shameless enough to pull or unscrupulous enough to get away with.

The catchphrase that keeps coming to mind whenever I contemplate the sheer sloppiness and arrogance of Trump's PR fakery is "True Enough for Television".

When he tweets a photo of himself allegedly working on his inaugural speech at a receptionist's desk at Mar-a-Lago? When he points to stacks of brand-new folders and paper as "legal paperwork" for his businesses? When his PR team uses a photo from Obama's inauguration on the POTUS account banner? When he says that he had a million inauguration attendees or that it stopped raining during his speech?

In his eyes, it's all perfectly acceptable to use in constructing a narrative for viewers who don't care about reality but just want to be entertained and impressed by him. It's all True Enough for Television.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Guess that means the Veteran's Hotline he promised is not happening.
Quote:
Donald Trump addressed the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) convention Tuesday morning. Trump laid out proposals he has for reforming the VA and promised he will set up a 24/7 hotline at the White House to address VA complaints. Trump said if a complaint is not acted upon, he will have it brought directly to him.

"We will create a private White House hotline," Trump said today. "This could keep me very busy at night, folks... that is answered by a real person 24 hours a day to make sure that no valid complaint about the VA ever falls through the cracks."

"Now, this is the tough part," Trump continued. "This is the tough part. I will instruct my staff that if a valid complaint is not acted upon, then the issuer who brought it directly to me, and I want to have it, will bring it directly to me, and I will pick up the phone personally and get it completed and get it taken care of. That's a lot of work. We better do a good job because that's a lot of work."
Of course, he tried it last summer and it flopped.
Quote:
On the morning it was launched the hotline was basically nonfunctioning; we called and the line rang several times before being connected. Then came five minutes of hold music before the call was disconnected. After a few more tries, a reporter spoke to an operator who had little information to offer, and sounded as though he’d either just smoked a blunt or awoken from a long nap.

“When I called [the hotline], and I did so twice on different days, it seemed as if the same woman answered,” Fant wrote to us in July. “She instructed me that the best thing to do was email or snail mail my concerns, preferably with documentation. There was a big emphasis on supplying documentation.”

Fant went ahead and submitted some information about his particular problems, only to receive what seemed to be canned responses.

“Thank you for sharing your story,” one email read. “It is an embarrassment to America when our men and women who served have to struggle to get the care they earned and deserve. Mr. Trump is determined to fix the problems veterans face and your experience will be a part of the reform. Please know that fixing these problems is job one. Thank you for your service.”

“We have a team of vets collecting stories and reforms for improving the VA and veteran benefits,” another email from the campaign said. “Your story will be part of what we compile and produce for Mr. Trump to study. Your information is confidential”

Those two emails are the sum and substance of what the campaign sent him. Several other calls and emails went unanswered, he said. It seems, Fant says, that the hotline has proven to be what many suspected — a campaign stunt without a lot of substance behind it.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I predict that Trump will build a wall-- a great big 12-foot high, 4-foot thick wall... around the White House.

Are they going to stop giving tours? Cancel the Easter egg roll?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:40 PM

It's OK. Sean Spicer denied this:

Quote:
White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Monday denied that there were “Trump or White House folks” in the first rows.

“There were no Trump or White House folks sitting down. They were all CIA (unintelligible). So, not in rows one-through-anything, from what I’m told.” Spicer said at the White House briefing Monday.
Of course, he has no proof. He's just offering alternative facts. So that should close this controversy.

Last edited by Euphonious Polemic; 01-23-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:44 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I predict that Trump will build a wall-- a great big 12-foot high, 4-foot thick wall... around the White House.

Are they going to stop giving tours? Cancel the Easter egg roll?
Charge admission.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:37 PM

Kellyane got into a fight at one of the inaugural balls.

Allegedly she stepped in to defend Scott Baio.

Trump has designated his inauguration as a National Day of Patriotic Devotion. All hail the Great Leader.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:45 PM

Sean Spicer's feud with Dippin Dots may be over.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I think you're reading that wrong. The linked cite from Gasparino's Facebook post says that some people he calls "anarchist thugs" approached him and Baio outside the ball and started screaming at them, but except for a bit of shoving (on Gasparino's part) and threats (both sides) nothing happened.

Then Gasparino claims that inside the ball venue there was a fistfight between two guys in tuxes---nothing to do with Scott Baio, AFAICT---and Conway joined in, just as your first link claimed. (In fact, it appears that both cites base their report on the same Facebook post by Gasparino, which seems to be the only source for this story so far.)