Old 01-25-2017, 09:47 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Well that's disappointing.
Well, in fact there is considerable dissension between Trump and many Congressional Republicans. It's an open question whether Trump might be able to get some of his proposals through Congress. But the practical outcome is likely to be which of two bad results ends up enacted.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
No. This is not true. No person named Donald Trump said that, nor could have said that. There is no such person as "Donald Trump," "Donald J. Trump," "Mr. Donald John Trump, Sr.," "The Donald." nor any variation thereupon. So long as the wall-building program is in operation, his only name is "Schweinficker."

His sons are "Schweinficker, Jr." "Eric, son of Schweinficker," & "Melania's boy Barron." His daughters are "Ivanka...Kushner" and "Tiffany really doesn't deserve this."

So mote it be.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Well that's disappointing.
At best. At worst...? One shudders to think.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
Trump administration mandates that any studies or data from EPA scientists undergo review by political appointees before they can be released to the public.
Unbelievable. The Ministry of Truth, I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
No. This is not true. No person named Donald Trump said that, nor could have said that. There is no such person as "Donald Trump," "Donald J. Trump," "Mr. Donald John Trump, Sr.," "The Donald." nor any variation thereupon. So long as the wall-building program is in operation, his only name is "Schweinficker."

His sons are "Schweinficker, Jr." "Eric, son of Schweinficker," & "Melania's boy Barron." His daughters are "Ivanka...Kushner" and "Tiffany really doesn't deserve this."

So mote it be.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2017, 04:29 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
Trump administration mandates that any studies or data from EPA scientists undergo review by political appointees before they can be released to the public.
Get this. I live in the People's Republic of China. Their view of science isn't that skewed. Wow.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

This is akin to what Dubya did not so long ago in this country, and what Steve Harper did in Canada.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
This isn't really a policy issue, but here's another jaw-dropper from that interview:

Quote:
That location was given to me. Mike Pence went up before me, paid great homage to the wall. I then went up, paid great homage to the wall. I then spoke to the crowd. I got a standing ovation. In fact, they said it was the biggest standing ovation since Peyton Manning had won the Super Bowl and they said it was equal. I got a standing ovation. It lasted for a long period of time.
The biggest standing ovation since Peyton Manning won the Super Bowl. Equal to that, in fact. This is not someone with a grasp on reality.

He also went back to crowd size again and took the interviewer to a picture of the inauguration so its exact bigness could be explained in detail.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 01-26-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Get this. I live in the People's Republic of China. Their view of science isn't that skewed. Wow.

Communists typically follow the scientific method fairly thoroughly. Weird com[comparison.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Checks and balances work when different parties and points of view are in place. As you correctly observe, at this time the dysfunctional, narrow-minded, destructive* Republicans control the Presidency and both houses of Congress. They will soon control the Supreme Court, too. Bye-bye, checks and balances.
I keep reading this or variations on this. The Republicans will not control the Supreme Court in any meaningful way, no matter who fills the vacant seat. That seat belonged to Antonin Scalia, the most reliably and aggressively conservative justice on the court. Replacing him with another conservative will not change the balance of the court - the same court that ruled in favor of marriage quality 18 months ago. With four solidly liberal justices, and three solid conservatives, the court will continue to swing on the votes of Anthony Kennedy and John Roberts. While neither of those men has always voted as I'd "like," neither are partisan hacks and neither is likely to stand by as the nation is dismantled.

Admittedly, the balance shifts a bit if Ginsburg or one of the other non-conservative justices dies or retires. But right now the Supreme Court is still our best hope.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post

Communists typically follow the scientific method fairly thoroughly. Weird com[comparison.
Not really; consider Lysenkoism, something I'm seeing Trump's politically mandated "science" compared to.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Well, thank you, Mr Sunshine! Maybe a nice paper cut, a bit of lemon juice. Somebody smiled, or something?
Old 01-26-2017, 06:49 AM

According to Carl Bernstein, Republicans are beginning to think Old Hamster Fists is a few tacos short of a combo plate.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
This isn't really a policy issue, but here's another jaw-dropper from that interview:

The biggest standing ovation since Peyton Manning won the Super Bowl. Equal to that, in fact. This is not someone with a grasp on reality.

He also went back to crowd size again and took the interviewer to a picture of the inauguration so its exact bigness could be explained in detail.
Christ on a zwieback. Nevermind whether the guy reads books— the 45th President of the United States is innumerate.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:45 AM

WRT to the popular vote: whenever one of us brings it up on this board, some Trumpster inevitably pipes up with, "Get over it!" Ironic that it's the Trumpster Himself who can't/won't get over it, amirite?
Old 01-26-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
WRT to the popular vote: whenever one of us brings it up on this board, some Trumpster inevitably pipes up with, "Get over it!" Ironic that it's the Trumpster Himself who can't/won't get over it, amirite?
The guy is the sorest winner I've ever seen. He is King of the Snowflakes.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Baaaaaaaloney.

Republican leaders are delighted so far. Trump is signing almost everything that they're putting in front of him. As long as Trump signs off on most of the regressive crap they want to do, they'll let him babble about inauguration crowds. How does that prevent them from furthering their agenda?

They won't get everything, of course - he's not going to play ball on a gay marriage ban because he still want to live in New York with his rich liberal "friends" - but they'll get most of it, and, really, what else matters?

Bernstein can claim all he wants that he heard Jimmy and Bobby say that Addison said Trump was delusional, but in Washington it's about getting what you want, and so far Trump is giving them what they want. If, though some weird and inexplicable Constitutional mixup, Lenin's body arose from its casket and became President, the Republican Party would play along as long as Lenin agreed to sign their legislation into law.

And one more thing about that article; "Approval rating" in January of a President's first year in office means squat. Nothing. Zilch.

Last edited by RickJay; 01-26-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Trump is signing almost everything that they're putting in front of him.
Doing that while letting the "a few tacos short of a combo plate" narrative take hold is the best of both worlds -- get what they want, then launch the 25th Amendment ejector seat and pin the blame on him. Sure, the people who are paying attention won't buy it, but they don't need the people who are paying attention, they need a majority.

Last edited by Steve MB; 01-26-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Baaaaaaaloney.

Republican leaders are delighted so far. Trump is signing almost everything that they're putting in front of him. As long as Trump signs off on most of the regressive crap they want to do, they'll let him babble about inauguration crowds. How does that prevent them from furthering their agenda?

They won't get everything, of course - he's not going to play ball on a gay marriage ban because he still want to live in New York with his rich liberal "friends" - but they'll get most of it, and, really, what else matters?

Bernstein can claim all he wants that he heard Jimmy and Bobby say that Addison said Trump was delusional, but in Washington it's about getting what you want, and so far Trump is giving them what they want. If, though some weird and inexplicable Constitutional mixup, Lenin's body arose from its casket and became President, the Republican Party would play along as long as Lenin agreed to sign their legislation into law.

And one more thing about that article; "Approval rating" in January of a President's first year in office means squat. Nothing. Zilch.
To a point, you're right. But even Republicans don't want to be incinerated by incoming nuclear warheads. They may love love love their tax cuts, but at some point they're going to wonder if they're worth the risk of having a criminally insane president when Pence will sign all their tax cuts without being batshit crazy?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
First of all, who the fuck didn't see this all along? Were there really educated, intelligent members of congress* who thought this was just an act? I certainly could tell all along that the man was unfit for the role- that's one of my main reasons for not voting for him! It's why I urged my Republican friends and family to vote third party (few listened)

Second of all, there's a part of me who thinks "Good. They thought they could shake hands with the devil and it would work out OK for them. We may all go down, but at least my conscience is clear."

*As much as we might disagree with their positions, in fact most of them are intelligent and educated
Old 01-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

The Donald is still insisting that his inauguration is the bigliest and most-attended and most-watched ever.

Oh, and his post-campaign campaign-rally speech at the CIA Memorial Wall got "the biggest standing ovation since Peyton Manning had won the Super Bowl".
Old 01-26-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
The Donald is still insisting that his inauguration is the bigliest and most-attended and most-watched ever.

Oh, and his post-campaign campaign-rally speech at the CIA Memorial Wall got "the biggest standing ovation since Peyton Manning had won the Super Bowl".
In alternative fact, they weren't applauding Manning at all at the Super Bowl; they were applauding Trump for his future election win.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:55 AM

The State Department’s entire senior management team just resigned.

Quote:
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s job running the State Department just got considerably more difficult. The entire senior level of management officials resigned Wednesday, part of an ongoing mass exodus of senior foreign service officers who don’t want to stick around for the Trump era.
Which of course means they'll be replaced by incompetent yes-men, or worse.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:34 PM

Now, I didn't write the Art of the Deal or anything, but... painting the Mexican president into a corner where it would be personally humiliating and politically devastating for him to pay for The Wall kinda guarantees that he will never, like, agree to pay for The Wall, no?
Old 01-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Christ on a zwieback. Nevermind whether the guy reads books— the 45th President of the United States is innumerate.
Not necessarily, he may simply be hoping that you are.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Rump View Post
Now, I didn't write the Art of the Deal or anything, but... painting the Mexican president into a corner where it would be personally humiliating and politically devastating for him to pay for The Wall kinda guarantees that he will never, like, agree to pay for The Wall, no?
He should agree to pay for the wall after it's built, then refuse to pay after discovering substandard workmanship.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Mexico ought to rub HWMNBN's nose in it and start making overtures to China.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post

Yup. They'll just put some idiot Trump sycophants or reality show stars into the jobs. I'm sure that will work out well for the diplomats and others who rely on the State department for their security. Not to worry though - when people are killed, they'll just blame it on Hillary, because that is what they believe. #alternatefacts

Quote:
“It’s the single biggest simultaneous departure of institutional memory that anyone can remember, and that’s incredibly difficult to replicate,” said David Wade, who served as State Department chief of staff under Secretary of State John Kerry. “Department expertise in security, management, administrative and consular positions in particular are very difficult to replicate and particularly difficult to find in the private sector.”
Old 01-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post

This is insane.
I knew that he was isolationist and protectionist (and nuts). But we do need to work with other countries to some extent. Gutting the diplomatic corps is just crazy.

Last edited by amarinth; 01-26-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:29 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
It was never in the cards at all that Mexico would pay for the wall. Any hint of it and the President - be it Enrique Pieta Nieto or anyone who succeeds him - can assume his/her political career is over. He'd be lucky to get hired on at a Starbucks.

Trump will still claim Mexico will pay for the wall - he'll have Congress cancel NAFTA and point to some tariff and say "they paid for the wall." Or he'll just claim they did, it doesn't matter what the truth is.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Mexico ought to rub HWMNBN's nose in it and start making overtures to China.
The Mexican President, as anyone might expect, has cancelled his upcoming trip to DC:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.0382f27ac7e5

Last edited by El_Kabong; 01-26-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
No. Only real Americans (donnies voters) respond to being painted in a corner by rage and destruction resulting in getting what they want: American Exceptionalism they call it. Mexicans will obey the great white leaders in washington. They're different.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:39 PM

No, you guys don't understand his 7D chess moves. His plan is to make the US so horrible that Mexico will build a wall on their side of the border to keep us out. US doesn't pay, US doesn't lose the Rio Grande or anything like that, and the wall gets built!

It's win win win!

Except for those of us on the wrong side of the wall of course.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Trump is signing almost everything that they're putting in front of him.
I thought he's only signed executive orders.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Incidentally, I really love Trump's comment on the wall here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump
Now, I could wait a year and I could hold off the wall. But I wanna build the wall. We have to build the wall. We have to stop drugs from pouring in. We have to stop people from just pouring into our country. We have no idea where they're from.
Wait... so, you're building a wall specifically on the border with Mexico to stop illegal immigrants from getting in but you don't know where the illegal immigrants from Mexico are from?

What's fascinating, though, he that he's now conflating the wall with NAFTA and implying the wall is what will stop job and companies from leaving the USA - seriously, watch the interview. Uh, no. But he's starting to build that connection for the Trumpists; that way, if some sort of wall goes up but there's still illegal immigrants around (Which of course there will be) he can say the wall wasn't to keep them out, it was to keep jobs in.

Last edited by RickJay; 01-26-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Wait... so, you're building a wall specifically on the border with Mexico to stop illegal immigrants from getting in but you don't know where the illegal immigrants from Mexico are from?
Puddy, answer the man.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshore View Post
As of this moment, there is still a petition up at whitehouse.gov so you can voice the fact that you care: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...use-compliance Currently, it has about as many signatures as people estimated by credible sources to have attended his inauguration...Let's see if we can get it up to the amount HE estimates attended his inauguration.
Try signing it. I tried signing this one, and my signature didn't get tallied. Actually, the guy who did the English voiceover for the video linked in the petition I signed is a friend and high school classmate of mine, and when he posted a link to the petition on his Facebook page with a comment that life imitated art, I tried to sign the petition because I've never seen one on the White House site with only one signature.

Then a friend of mine noticed that the signature counts for petitions don't seem to be working anymore, and several new petitions also only showed one signature.

I think the We the People portion of the Whitehouse.gov site is about to be dismantled. Which is more than a little disturbing.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
No. Only real Americans (donnies voters) respond to being painted in a corner by rage and destruction resulting in getting what they want: American Exceptionalism they call it. Mexicans will obey the great white leaders in washington. They're different.
Former presidente Vicente Fox has a much more colorful response.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:07 PM

First, does anyone else remember when the Mexican cartel violence was at its worst a few years ago, there was talk of it heading to failed-state status? As I recall, the worry was that it would cause us serious border problems and if things got bad enough we could have an honest-to-goodness refugee crisis right on our border. I don't know what it would take to cause Mexico to descend into chaos, but destroying its economy might be a good start.

Second, I've understood (?) that Mexico has earnestly participated in the war on drugs, at great cost in blood and treasure, in an effort to maintain its relationship with the US. It's not hard to imagine a policy of focusing resources on domestic drug problems and de-prioritizing export operations. Wall or no, I don't think that would be to the US benefit.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

So, the Secret Service gave a secured phone to the Cheeto in chief and even when his yes men complained Trump has ignored them so far.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...-to-tweet.html
Quote:
During his campaign, Trump frequently expressed concerns over former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's use of a personal e-mail server for some official business.

"We should learn from the lessons of Secretary Clinton, who used an unsecured device for much of her tenure," Entner said. "There are very are sophisticated people and countries out there who love to know what the President talks about to his inner circle."

The White House could not be reached to comment on President Trump's activity on his Android device or his Twitter account during his first week in office. A spokesman for the U.S. Secret Service referred questions about the matter to the White House.

The Secret Service protects the president and was likely involved in the decision to give Trump a more secure device just before last Friday's inauguration. It was widely assumed at that time that Trump would give up his Android phone, reportedly a Samsung Galaxy S model.

However, The New York Times report of his first five days of living in the White House indicated Trump still used "his old, unsecured Android phone, to the protests of some of his aides." He wrote and sent out a tweet on Tuesday that he would "send in the Feds" to Chicago to help end gun violence and killings there.
We have a president that does forget quickly even lessons that he had learned already.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I see the big Cheeto still has no clue as to what is on the border between San Diego & Tijuana, which drug- and people-smugglers simply tunnel under.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crybaby Boobie View Post
No, you guys don't understand his 7D chess moves. His plan is to make the US so horrible that Mexico will build a wall on their side of the border to keep us out. US doesn't pay, US doesn't lose the Rio Grande or anything like that, and the wall gets built!

It's win win win!

Except for those of us on the wrong side of the wall of course.
I was writing a story back in high school about the giant wall on the Mexican/American border, with huge gunnery towers manned by soldiers whose job it was to shoot Americans trying to escape into Mexico...

Maybe I had a glimpse of the future!
Old 01-26-2017, 02:54 PM

Steve Bannon calls the press the "opposition party", and says they need to keep their mouths shut.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:56 PM

Sean Spicer has tweeted out his Twitter password twice in two days.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:00 PM

So, Trump apparently actually has a way to make Mexico pay for the wall: a 20% tax on imports.

Which would get passed on to American consumers, so it's American consumers who actually would pay for the wall. And it would devastate the Mexican economy, causing more migrants to the US.

But otherwise, it's a brilliant plan.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
So, Trump apparently actually has a way to make Mexico pay for the wall: a 20% tax on imports.
He thinks the wall can be built for less than $64 billion? And how does he plan to pay for maintenance?
Old 01-26-2017, 03:09 PM

A 30% tax?

Last edited by Jack Batty; 01-26-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:22 PM

I wonder if President Dumb Fuck thinks his proposal means "Mexico is paying for the wall." OK, thought about it, yeah, the retarded cunt really is that stupid.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He thinks the wall can be built for less than $64 billion? And how does he plan to pay for maintenance?
Extended warranty.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:32 PM

The chief of the Border Patrol has been forced out.

Callista Gingrich is being considered as Ambassador to the Vatican
. I wonder what the Vatican thinks of having an adultress as the US ambassador.

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 01-26-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Hold on a sec. Trump wants to expand the Border Patrol by 5000? Didn't he just impose a hiring freeze?