Old 02-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
What happened to States Rights?
Just more of the right's hypocrisy. Personally, I'm a huge advocate of state sovereignty and states' rights, even though I know many states are going to make horrible, even evil, choices and decisions (I'm looking at you North Carolina). The right pretends to support states' rights, but has no compunctions about trampling all over them when the state supports something other than the right's agenda. At least the left (generally) doesn't lie about trampling all over states' rights. Everyone knows the left is going to do it. It really is mind-boggling how supporters of the right apologize or even not notice when their side does it (and they do it as often as the left does), but cry bloody murder when the left does it. I guess simply saying "we are for states' rights" is enough; no need to actually act in that manner.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:27 PM
SDSAB

"I have always been a friend of states' rights and a foe of states' wrongs." - Benjamin Butler
Old 02-26-2017, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Granted the quote is ~150 years old and may not have been recorded accurately, but I believe it goes “I was always a friend of southern rights but an enemy of southern wrongs.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
"I have always been a friend of states' rights and a foe of states' wrongs." - Benjamin Butler
Off the top of my head--I don't think any of the states that have legalized recreational weed went for Trump in the election. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

There was Seward's Folly, but they barely count.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Off the top of my head--I don't think any of the states that have legalized recreational weed went for Trump in the election. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.
Could that be proof that marijuana improves cognitive thinking?
Old 02-27-2017, 02:26 PM

Donald Trump: "Nobody knew that health care could be so complicated,"
Old 02-27-2017, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
That one is pretty rich. I sure hope the Democrats successfully land the message that the Republicans own this lock, stock and barrel. The President and both houses of Congress have run on this for 8 years, and they need to get it right or die on this hill.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
IMHO it is not a coincidence that the threat of going after marijuana in those states is because they did legalize it. The threats are made with the understanding that a lot of the money from Marijuana regulation and sales is going to those states and does wonders to their balanced budgets.

Can not have the people from conservative states like Kansas with busted budgets wonder if they are being left behind and should consider solutions like that.

There is also, I think, the issue that it is very likely that people involved in Marijuana production and sales do give more money to liberal causes. So, it is just as what Nixon and henchmen realized in the 60's.

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/22/1127876...s-racism-nixon
Quote:
At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. "You want to know what this was really all about?" he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect.

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."
What is going on is more evidence for what I pointed out years ago in the SDMB: The people arrested for drug offenses that do not involve the use of deadly force are our political prisoners.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Sure, nobody knew; at least, none of those in mindless opposition, who voted to repeal it 40 times and never gave a thought to how to fix or replace it. Yup, nobody. Sooo complicated.

Now, the hundreds of policy wonks in the Clinton and Obama administrations who actually studied the issue: they might have had a clue as to the complexity of the issue; but Donald probably didn't include them.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
IMHO it is not a coincidence that the threat of going after marijuana in those states is because they did legalize it.
I see it as more a political calculation. Going after legal pot would piss off the citizens of California, Oregon, Washington and Colorado. Are they likely to support Trump anyway? No? Fuck 'em.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now, the hundreds of policy wonks in the Clinton and Obama administrations who actually studied the issue: they might have had a clue as to the complexity of the issue; but Donald probably didn't include them.
I heard something that this is part of the problem that the GOP is facing right now. They wnated to keep the status quo (which they understood well enough) and weren't trying to build a system, so they really didn't need to know details of the system they wanted to block nor issues around implementing a new system. They're now trying to get up to speed very quickly on some of the nuances of trying to change healthcare in a very, very short time.

Of course, I'm willing to bet that most of the Republicans in the House and Senate did know that it was going to be complicated.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure, nobody knew; at least, none of those in mindless opposition, who voted to repeal it 40 times and never gave a thought to how to fix or replace it. Yup, nobody. Sooo complicated.
More than 60 times. They were enthusiastic, if brainless.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
For him, it's never been complicated - he and his family have Dr What's-His-Face on retainer, he sees them, they write a check, easy-peasy. He's never had to navigate the maze of an HMO, or go to an ER and hope the bill will eventually be covered and not denied, or any of the other things that normal folks experience when they need healthcare.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
That one is pretty rich. I sure hope the Democrats successfully land the message that the Republicans own this lock, stock and barrel. The President and both houses of Congress have run on this for 8 years, and they need to get it right or die on this hill.
Yes they do, and any Dem that works WITH them will be used as a patsy. To take any part in this would be monumentally stupid. Make the Republican party OWN this.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post
For him, it's never been complicated - he and his family have Dr What's-His-Face on retainer, he sees them, they write a check, easy-peasy. He's never had to navigate the maze of an HMO, or go to an ER and hope the bill will eventually be covered and not denied, or any of the other things that normal folks experience when they need healthcare.
There is this, based o how he has actually treated family, he seems to view medical care - or rather the withholding of it - as a weapon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sick-baby.html
Donald Trump has admitted cutting off medical treatment to his nephew’s sick baby after he allegedly had his alcoholic brother’s children cut out of his father’s will.

In an interview with the New York Times, Trump said he retaliated because he was ‘angry because they sued’.

His brother Freddy, a pilot, had died an alcoholic in 1981, aged 43.

He had two children – named after his parents Fred and Mary – with a stewardess he married at age 23 called Linda Clapp. The couple later divorced.

When the family patriarch Fred Sr., died in 1999, Freddy’s son, Fred III, spoke at the funeral. Later that night, his wife went into labor but the baby had cerebral palsy.

The Trump family promised to pay the medical bills.

But when Fred Sr.’s will was read, it revealed that the majority of his inheritance would be split between his children – except Freddy Trump Jr.

Freddy’s children sued and alleged that Donald - who helped draft the will - and his surviving siblings had influenced Fred Sr., who had suffered from dementia.

They also said an earlier version of the will had said they would receive a share of their grandfather’s fortune – believed to have been more than $20million.

So the real estate mogul, the frontrunner for the GOP's presidential nomination, got his revenge by withdrawing the medical care for his nephew’s sick child.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:13 PM

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...licated-235436

"Let it be a disaster, because we can blame that on the Dems that are in our room -- and we can blame that on the Democrats and President Obama," - Trump, at the National Governors Association
Old 02-27-2017, 07:45 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

A whole town is pissed at Trump for doing what they elected him to do.
Pro-Trump town riled up after immigration officials arrest popular restaurant manager
Quote:
A southern Illinois community that solidly backed President Donald Trump has rallied behind a Mexican restaurant manager who doesn't have legal permission to live in the U.S. and has been detained by immigration officials.

Letters of support for Juan Carlos Hernandez Pacheco have poured in from West Frankfort's mayor, police chief, high school athletic director and the county prosecutor. They describe Hernandez as a role model and praise his robust civil involvement, including funding school scholarships, benefit dinners for families in need and hosting a law enforcement appreciation event.

Though the community largely backed Trump — who has made an aggressive stance on immigration central to his agenda and has promised to deport millions of immigrants who have no permission to live here — many residents of West Frankfort said Hernandez' case has complicated their views on immigration policy.

"I think people need to do things the right way, follow the rules and obey the laws, and I firmly believe in that," Lori Barron, the owner of a beauty salon, told The New York Times. "But in the case of Carlos, I think he may have done more for the people here than this place has ever given him. I think it's absolutely terrible that he could be taken away."
Old 02-27-2017, 08:08 PM

Wow. Why the f**k did they VOTE for him, then?

My eyes hurt from all the rolling.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:46 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
  1. He's not Black.
  2. He's not Muslim.
  3. He's not female.

Of course none of that has a blame thing to do with one's qualifications and ability to actually be president.

Quote:
Word of advice: I've found that tears prevent the pain from rolling eyes.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:55 PM

A prediction for the title of a future political history book or Michael Moore documentary film: Sad! The Presidency of Donald J. Trump.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:45 PM
SDSAB

Nobody who lived through it would want to read or watch it.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Nobody who lived through it would want to read or watch it.
Sad!
Old 02-27-2017, 11:55 PM

Trump went on Fox and Friends and stated that he believes that Obama is behind the leaks in Trump's administration:

Quote:
"No, I think that President Obama is behind it because his people are certainly behind it. And some of the leaks possibly come from that group, which are really serious because they are very bad in terms of national security. But I also understand that is politics. In terms of him being behind things, that's politics. And it will probably continue."
CNN article
Old 02-28-2017, 01:15 PM

Trump blames the military for the loss of the Navy Seal in the Yemen raid.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

"my generals are the most respected that we’ve had in many decades" - what the fuck is that? Has an entirely new class of generals been promoted in the past 40-or-so days? Or are these the same military leaders that have been in place for at least the past few months or so?
Also - is there wild fluctuation in the level of respect for "generals" over the decades?
Old 02-28-2017, 01:36 PM

"The buck stops elsewhere."
Old 02-28-2017, 01:59 PM

...by the realization that he had not yet been sucked into the swirling vortex of a Hell-mouth. Other than that, I got nothin'.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:04 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Economist View Post
"The buck stops elsewhere."
During the 1987 Iran-Contra hearings, someone handwrote a sign and posted it in the Senate hearing room: "The buck doesn't even slow down here."
Old 02-28-2017, 07:43 PM

Bones isn't on tonight b/c of Trump being on TV !
Old 02-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehearingaid View Post
I was thinking the same thing, only about Legends of Tomorrow. Oh well, New Orleans Cooking with Kevin Belton* is on Create. My blood pressure can't take listening to SCROTUS. Any odds on how long before he mentions his electoral victory?

*GAH! Another TV chef talking about searing meat to seal in juices. But that's another pit thread.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post

Because they never considered that it could happen to someone they know. It's like my mom (a Trump voter) and her neighbors. The wife is a citizen, the husband is here illegally from El Salvador. They have a little girl and are expecting a baby soon. He is busting his ass trying to build up a landscaping company. They are very friendly and helpful to my mom. My mom says he couldn't get deported because he has a family, he's very nice and hardworking and he's a Christian. So it just happens to all those other brown people who are bad.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:00 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
Because they never considered that it could happen to someone they know. It's like my mom (a Trump voter) and her neighbors. The wife is a citizen, the husband is here illegally from El Salvador. They have a little girl and are expecting a baby soon. He is busting his ass trying to build up a landscaping company. They are very friendly and helpful to my mom. My mom says he couldn't get deported because he has a family, he's very nice and hardworking and he's a Christian. So it just happens to all those other brown people who are bad.
But, but, is he the right kind of Christian? I'm wondering if that would play into how much outrage Trump voters would have over deportations.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
But, but, is he the right kind of Christian? I'm wondering if that would play into how much outrage Trump voters would have over deportations.
In my mom's case, she's Baptist, he's some kind of fundamentalist. She's not too sure about some of his beliefs but she's ok with that because he's a really nice guy. At this point, she is fine with Trump deporting people because she naively thinks "nice guys" would be exempt. (She's a Trump voter, thinking is not her strongest suit.)

It's kind of like how a Republican will come around to thinking gay rights are good - after their son or daughter comes out. It has to get personal for them before they can have empathy for a group.

I don't think religion is as important as someone being a kind, caring human being. For the people in the town referenced above, it getting personal for them has made them think about the reality of deportation, not just the rhetoric. That guy has affected their lives in a lot of good ways. Hopefully, that kind of awakening will happen all over the country. Unfortunately, that means some good people will be hurt in the process.

But I have to hope it doesn't happen to my mom's neighbor, even to wake her up, because I like him a lot.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

That's how he sold it, all those illegal immigrant litterers and fatherstabbers, that was who he was going to deport, right away. So, if someone buys that much, then when the Dems criticize it, their first thought is: the Dems don't want to deport criminals.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:24 AM

Trump does not piss me off, he terrifies me.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:13 PM
SDSAB

I'm pissed off today because only Trump would make me think better of George W. Bush, much as I loathed him while he was in office. He's showing some class now, and the contrast with the guy now in the Oval Office is all the more striking: http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/01/politi...ump/index.html
Old 03-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Trump pissed me off by giving a reasonable imitation of a statesman-like presidential address. He apparently fired his inaugural speechwriter, and hired someone who's listened to state of the union addresses before.

We can't count on him being 100% moronic 100% of the time. Sad.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I'm pissed off today because only Trump would make me think better of George W. Bush, much as I loathed him while he was in office. He's showing some class now, and the contrast with the guy now in the Oval Office is all the more striking: http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/01/politi...ump/index.html
I don't think Dubya was anywhere near as divisive and pandering to hate as Trump is. He was just woefully incompetent and incredibly stupid. I don't see Dubya's current comments about racism and the hate his party has so willingly embraced aren't really out of character for a well-intentioned, but completely incompetent and trusting of bad people, guy like him.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Who needs diplomacy?
Apparently - not us, not anymore. He wants to gut the state department, because ...? Not sure he knows what it does. It's obvious that he doesn't care.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Trump pissed me off by giving a reasonable imitation of a statesman-like presidential address. He apparently fired his inaugural speechwriter, and hired someone who's listened to state of the union addresses before.

We can't count on him being 100% moronic 100% of the time. Sad.
It's impossible to figure out what he wants to do as president. You certainly can't judge by the words coming out of his anus shaped mouth. Definitely upgrades in the speechwriter department, but it could just be more republican smokescreens like "a thousand points of light" and "a kinder, gentler blah blah" and "I'm a uniter, not a divider." All the pretty words can't cover up the sanctioned poisoning of our drinking water.

Uh oh. Trumps speech drew 9 million fewer viewers than Obama's address in 2009. Cue the whining bitch tweets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehearingaid View Post
Bones is still on? I thought that went into syndication a decade ago.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
Who needs diplomacy?
Apparently - not us, not anymore. He wants to gut the state department, because ...? Not sure he knows what it does. It's obvious that he doesn't care.
Thought you were being hyperbolic, but apparently not:
Quote:
A lot of this, the employee said, is because there is now a “much smaller decision circle.” And many State staffers are surprised to find themselves on the outside. “They really want to blow this place up,” said the mid-level State Department officer. “I don’t think this administration thinks the State Department needs to exist. They think Jared [Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law] can do everything. It’s reminiscent of the developing countries where I’ve served. The family rules everything, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs knows nothing.”
Old 03-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Uh oh. Trumps speech drew 9 million fewer viewers than Obama's address in 2009. Cue the whining bitch tweets.
And I thought I was unique. Now I find there are 8,999,999 more like me.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
Who needs diplomacy?
You don't need diplomats to tell you where the missiles should land.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:10 PM
SDSAB

Putin will just be telling Trump who to hate, and who to schmooze, anyway.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:18 PM
SDSAB

Ethics training? We don't need no steenkin' ethics training!: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...gram/21871965/
Old 03-02-2017, 04:16 PM

The cuts to foreign aid and the increases in military spending are the worst thing he's done so far, in my book. I'm very unhappy at the moment, especially since I had kind of though Trump wanted to pursue a more non-interventionist foreign policy.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector_St_Clare View Post
The cuts to foreign aid and the increases in military spending are the worst thing he's done so far, in my book. I'm very unhappy at the moment, especially since I had kind of though Trump wanted to pursue a more non-interventionist foreign policy.
Fortunately (and I may be whistling past the graveyard) I think his budget outline is Dead On Arrival. I never heard anybody asking for the military increase, nobody wants to cut programs, and nobody wants to raise taxes, and nobody wants to increase the deficit.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fortunately (and I may be whistling past the graveyard) I think his budget outline is Dead On Arrival. I never heard anybody asking for the military increase, nobody wants to cut programs, and nobody wants to raise taxes, and nobody wants to increase the deficit.
But what about all the new revenue he will be raising. He promised, and Donnie always keeps his promises. Just ask Marla and Ivanka.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:25 AM

As recently as last week, Trump promised that the Dakota Access Pipeline would only go forward if it was going to be built with American steel.

What Trump the Amazing Businessman failed to take into account is that the project is already underway and the steel has been acquired. It's hard to switch major suppliers in the middle of a massive construction project. (Although to be fair Trump never touted his construction expertise during the campaign). Anyway, bottom line, the pipeline won't use American steel.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...s-steel-trump/

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 03-04-2017 at 09:26 AM.