Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:33 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I hate, hate HATE the skinny suit for men.
I got talked into a Medium Skinny Suit that doesn't look that bad, but... I can't button the jacket. The suit salespeople all said that was "normal for the fashion"...(or did they only have suits too small for me?)

Now, I've never wanted to button a suit jacket in my life (or button the top button on a shirt), so I'm ok with it. But I'm still going to lose 20 lbs by my daughter's wedding... just so I don't have to go through buying a suit ever again.
  #102  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,682
You see those things in the wild?
  #103  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Helena330's Avatar
Helena330 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Near Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I hate, hate HATE the skinny suit for men.

When I see it, I cannot help but think that someone bought the suit before their last growth spurt. I used think that baggy pants that show the underwear was the worst. I was wrong.
I especially like the yellow one with rolled up pants and sneakers. /s
  #104  
Old 06-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,367
I got a text message from a Wisconsin number (I don't know anybody in Wisconsin), with just "Hey". I replied, "Do I know you?" They have never replied, but immediately after I sent the text, I got a phone call from a Texas number (I don't know anybody in Texas) and there was nobody there.
And I just got a phone call from 800-100-7799. In the first place, 100 is not a valid exchange. And the phone would ring, the call would drop, the phone would ring, the call would drop, about five times. And there was nobody there.
Knock it off!
  #105  
Old 06-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Swampwolf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
If you want me to call you back, LEAVE YOUR FUCKING PHONE NUMBER!!

Its a common courtesy. Don't make me look up your phone number because you want to talk to me.
And for the love o'gawd, say it clearly, and at a reasonable pace! "Hi...my name...is...Joe...um...Shmoe. Can you...call me back...at--" and then the number is mumbled at a speed that would make an auctioneer sound like Forrest Gump.
I get a lot of these, and I have had to listen to the message 6 times just to get the number.
  #106  
Old 06-11-2019, 02:36 PM
slumtrimpet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canukistan
Posts: 649
My husband and I were walking the dogs on our regular route - a dirt road with ditches on either side out, not even in the middle, more like the very far end of nowhere - and found a scattering of MacDonald's (closest MacD's is 60k away) bags, Styrofoam take-out containers and other assorted trash in the road. Also a clean and empty trash bag. So we picked it up and thought maybe it had blown out of the back of someone's pick-up truck (there's a lot of those around). Said some bad words too.

The next day husband took the dogs by himself and came back saying he was heading out again and where were the trash bags? I joined him. Some fuckity fucks (and judging from the contents I'd guess same fuckheads) had dumped five bags of trash into the ditch and brook containing more MacD's, more take-out boxes and rather a lot of incontinence pads. Did you know they absorb massive amounts of brook water? And an Amazon shipping box with a name and address on it. It was not Arlo.

Took pictures and gave them to the RCMP. I really, really, really hope someone gets a visit from them.
And yes, I support the death penalty for litterers.
  #107  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:30 PM
slalexan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumtrimpet View Post
And yes, I support the death penalty for litterers.
True story - When I first started dating my husband and we were out with his friends, one of his friends went to go throw his styrofoam Sonic cup out the window of his car while he was driving us somewhere. My husband quickly stopped him and told him how not cool that was. It was then I knew I had a keeper.

I am stressed. Really really stressed. Work is stressful, we have a lot of a demands and not enough people and our big wigs made promises that are gonna be really hard to keep. My daughter is going through testing for autism and, while not a death sentence, I'm concerned about affording all the stuff she'll need. My insurance is crap. My husband's mother has stage 4 bone cancer and it's unresponsive to treatment. My grandfather's alzheimers is getting to the point that he needs to go to a nursing home and my family is all kinds of concerned about that. All the things are happening. I have no control over anything.
  #108  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Catamount is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: God's Waiting Room, NC
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumtrimpet View Post
My husband and I were walking the dogs on our regular route - a dirt road with ditches on either side out, not even in the middle, more like the very far end of nowhere - and found a scattering of MacDonald's (closest MacD's is 60k away) bags, Styrofoam take-out containers and other assorted trash in the road.
Where are you that the closest McDonald's is 60,000 miles away? Do you live on the moon? Has littering gotten that bad?
  #109  
Old 06-11-2019, 06:49 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Where are you that the closest McDonald's is 60,000 miles away? Do you live on the moon? Has littering gotten that bad?
Miles? Murkin units of distance are so quaint! I believe the mile is equal to 320 rods, and speed is measured in furlongs per fortnight.
  #110  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:04 PM
slumtrimpet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canukistan
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Miles? Murkin units of distance are so quaint! I believe the mile is equal to 320 rods, and speed is measured in furlongs per fortnight.
Thank you
  #111  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 PM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
You see those things in the wild?
I used to see it at work a couple of years ago, but right now those same people from Marketing will be wearing stuff like this (spoilering for waifubois, bright colors, and in general stuff most people aren't used to seeing in an office context):

SPOILER:


I particularly like the feathered blouse which looks like something out of my great-aunt Margarita's wear-at-home closet, specially in combination with those fuchsia Mikado pants, although it's a pity that the pants are long and therefore the lace-up boots wouldn't show properly. Dude doesn't do discreet, but if you want to be Seen, hell yeah you'll be Seen

Doubt I'll ever buy anything from him unless it's for a present for someone who'll appreciate it, but I like looking at his stuff just because it gives me the giggles to picture certain people wearing it.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #112  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:30 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,918

You maybe shocked to learn this, but the IRS sucks


This is not about taxes. They suck, but I understand. There will always be taxes and someone has to collect them.

They are evil, yes. But dammit, they should be competent.

I received a letter from the IRS. A notice about the taxes I owe and how payment was not received. Now there is a late payment charge.

I had set up a payment plan online a couple of months ago with autopay. I went online to check said account because I did not see any payments leaving my back account. When I login, I get message that due to security reasons, I have been logged out. I should close my browser and try again. I close my browser and try again. Same message. I try another browser. Same message.

I call the number on the notice. It makes me jump through a bunch of hoops. I have to enter SSN, birth date, PIN, and 'caller ID' from the notice. I do this.

THEN they automated system tells me that due to the high call volume, They cant help me today. I should try later or tomorrow.

It told me this yesterday also.
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God
  #113  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:33 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,562
It has taken far less time for my phone to learn the word "hete" than it did *not* to suggest "McCain" every time I typed in my first name.
  #114  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,681
Let me get this straight...
- you're homeschooling your kids;
- you've practically bragged about passing along your hatred of all things mathematic;
- and now you think one of your kids is going to come out of this equipped to go into an engineering program?

  #115  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:08 PM
chizzuk is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,106
Text message from Amex an hour ago about a possible fraudulent charge. I've never gotten one from them before (Visa card number gets stolen about once every 3 years but not Amex for some reason) so first I logged into my account on my laptop to see if it was real or a phishing scam. And there's a fraud alert on my account, and an email. OK, fine, guess it's real. $100 charge at a gas station in upstate NY, declined--is this you? No, no it was not. Great! We're canceling your card! The one with all your automatic payments! Have fun sorting it out!

Ugh. Not that I'm not grateful--I don't know how their algorithms work but I've never gotten a false alert from either Visa or Amex and they've always caught the first fraudulent charge when it's happened. But did it have to be the card with all the recurring payments? Why couldn't these idiots have stolen my Visa again? And why is it always something in NY/NJ that sets it off?
  #116  
Old 06-13-2019, 09:15 AM
FairyChatMom's Avatar
FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 41,967
I've said it before and I'll say it again: women's clothing designers and manufacturer's suck swamp water!!!!! Bad enough sizing (vanity sizing?) is inconsistent, even within brands. Bad enough that pockets are often tiny or absent altogether. But now even our limited selection of pants lengths is worthless!

Guys can choose an inseam length. Women get Short (or Petite), Average, and Tall. Naturally, none of these are defined.

I have always bought average, being 5'5". For the most part, they'd hit around my ankle, and I was good with that. Not any more, tho. I just bought 8 assorted pants and jeans, on line, because I hate to shop. All were "Average", or so they said. At least half of them were long enough to tuck under my heel, even with shoes on!

Now, I know we tend to get shorter as we age, but I was under the impression it was due to spinal compression, not shrinking leg bones. Am I wrong about that? No matter. I am pissed that I'll be forced to spend a chunk of this weekend hemming pants and jeans.

Don't suggest shorts - this is work clothing. Don't suggest dresses or skirts lest I hunt you down and pinch you till you bruise.

I demand consistent sizing! I demand women's pants that offer specific inseam lengths! Who's with me!!!!!
  #117  
Old 06-13-2019, 09:33 AM
eenerms is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Finally...Wisc...!
Posts: 2,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
Text message from Amex an hour ago about a possible fraudulent charge. I've never gotten one from them before (Visa card number gets stolen about once every 3 years but not Amex for some reason) so first I logged into my account on my laptop to see if it was real or a phishing scam. And there's a fraud alert on my account, and an email. OK, fine, guess it's real. $100 charge at a gas station in upstate NY, declined--is this you? No, no it was not. Great! We're canceling your card! The one with all your automatic payments! Have fun sorting it out!

Ugh. Not that I'm not grateful--I don't know how their algorithms work but I've never gotten a false alert from either Visa or Amex and they've always caught the first fraudulent charge when it's happened. But did it have to be the card with all the recurring payments? Why couldn't these idiots have stolen my Visa again? And why is it always something in NY/NJ that sets it off?
My husbandís CC yesterday had a Fraudulent charge on it for Marriott in Maryland..we live in Nevada. All I can say is Iím glad they have alerts!
  #118  
Old 06-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
T

I call the number on the notice. It makes me jump through a bunch of hoops. I have to enter SSN, birth date, PIN, and 'caller ID' from the notice. I do this.

THEN they automated system tells me that due to the high call volume, They cant help me today. I should try later or tomorrow.

It told me this yesterday also.
I have been trying for 3 days. Everytime I jump through the hoops, I get 'due to high call volume, we cannot .....

I called at 06:55 AM and the message said they weren't open yet. At 7:05, the message they are too busy.

grrrrrrrrrr
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God
  #119  
Old 06-13-2019, 02:25 PM
pohjonen's Avatar
pohjonen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Almost Idaho
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I received a call from my primary doctor's assistant, telling me I need to schedule a physical, and that it't urgent. I have no need for a physical, since I'm seeing so many specialists, and they take care of any problems I have. But I agreed to schedule a physical with my primary doc. It turns out, the next opening she has is January 24th. Yes, she can't see me until January 24th, 2020. I pointed out to the assistant that I wasn't the one requesting the physical, that it was her demand. So, anyway, I'm scheduled for an "urgent" physical next January 24th.
You should be elated that your well-being is such a priority.
  #120  
Old 06-13-2019, 05:51 PM
pohjonen's Avatar
pohjonen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Almost Idaho
Posts: 1,724
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice when pigs fly and carry passengers. An online retailer let me order from a web page stating the item was in stock and would ship that day. Three days later, there was no shipping confirmation although they had charged my CC. I email to ask if the item is actually in stock or not, and it turns out they won't even have any until the end of the month, and would I like to wait? Fuck, NO. As of tooday, the web page still says that the item is in stock with same day shipping, so this is not an inadvertent error, but a business plan. Damned weasels. Three days later I'm still waiting for my card to be refunded.
  #121  
Old 06-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Yllaria is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Stockton
Posts: 10,889
Just got a robocall saying that it's from "Visa" and that my excellent payment record has qualified me for a 0% card. Just stay on the line and they can sign me up . . . I hung up at that point. Lying bastards. My current "Visa" is the debit card from my credit union.

On the up side, I got my teeth cleaned and x-rayed today and there was no damage found. So it'll be six months until the next dentist visit, assuming nothing breaks in the meantime.
  #122  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:02 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,681
Holland Grill is filing for bankruptcy. They've already shut down their website, and apparently stopped shipping back in October.

All I needed was a new burner.
  #123  
Old 06-13-2019, 11:04 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice when pigs fly and carry passengers. An online retailer let me order from a web page stating the item was in stock and would ship that day. Three days later, there was no shipping confirmation although they had charged my CC. I email to ask if the item is actually in stock or not, and it turns out they won't even have any until the end of the month, and would I like to wait? Fuck, NO. As of tooday, the web page still says that the item is in stock with same day shipping, so this is not an inadvertent error, but a business plan. Damned weasels. Three days later I'm still waiting for my card to be refunded.
Amazon did that to me yesterday and the order will be delivered sometime a week to two weeks from now.
  #124  
Old 06-13-2019, 11:19 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 17,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: women's clothing designers and manufacturer's suck swamp water!!!!! Bad enough sizing (vanity sizing?) is inconsistent, even within brands. Bad enough that pockets are often tiny or absent altogether. But now even our limited selection of pants lengths is worthless!

Guys can choose an inseam length. Women get Short (or Petite), Average, and Tall. Naturally, none of these are defined.

I have always bought average, being 5'5". For the most part, they'd hit around my ankle, and I was good with that. Not any more, tho. I just bought 8 assorted pants and jeans, on line, because I hate to shop. All were "Average", or so they said. At least half of them were long enough to tuck under my heel, even with shoes on!

Now, I know we tend to get shorter as we age, but I was under the impression it was due to spinal compression, not shrinking leg bones. Am I wrong about that? No matter. I am pissed that I'll be forced to spend a chunk of this weekend hemming pants and jeans.

Don't suggest shorts - this is work clothing. Don't suggest dresses or skirts lest I hunt you down and pinch you till you bruise.

I demand consistent sizing! I demand women's pants that offer specific inseam lengths! Who's with me!!!!!
I hear you, girl. I have long legs. I have to usually pay extra for more length. Are they ever the same? Nope, never. I don't understand why. It can't be that hard. Let the revolution begin!!!
  #125  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:40 AM
Annie-Xmas is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 56,516
Nostril zits. How can anything so little hurt so much and, once it's popped, create uch a huge red scab?
  #126  
Old 06-14-2019, 09:07 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I have been trying for 3 days. Everytime I jump through the hoops, I get 'due to high call volume, we cannot .....

I called at 06:55 AM and the message said they weren't open yet. At 7:05, the message they are too busy.

grrrrrrrrrr
5 days I have been trying to reach them, both online and by phone. 5 DAYS!!!
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God
  #127  
Old 06-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Stop pushing this idea that we can't go for the things we want and present our ideals as Democrats because it will make bigots angry and they'll re-elect Trump.

There isn't an entire army of angry bigots out there that DIDN'T vote for Trump but will do so if you make them angry by suggesting that trans-people deserve rights and respect or that medicare for all is a good idea or because you insult Trump.

And don't you DARE suggest that we should not speak our opinions and ideals out of FUCKING FEAR.

You're either a right winger being disingenuous and attempting to get us to stop pushing our agenda, or you're the kind of fucking coward who thinks that if you just don't do anything to anger the Nazis, you'll survive the Nazi Regime. The special kind of coward who gets upset if his neighbor upsets the Nazis because well, that just makes things worse and if everyone just calmed down, there wouldn't be any need for all this violent police state repression.
  #128  
Old 06-14-2019, 12:38 PM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
5 days I have been trying to reach them, both online and by phone. 5 DAYS!!!
Are you close to any of these? https://www.google.com/search?client...ces+california
I would be angry enough to go!
  #129  
Old 06-14-2019, 12:39 PM
pohjonen's Avatar
pohjonen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Almost Idaho
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Stop pushing this idea that we can't go for the things we want and present our ideals as Democrats because it will make bigots angry and they'll re-elect Trump.

There isn't an entire army of angry bigots out there that DIDN'T vote for Trump but will do so if you make them angry by suggesting that trans-people deserve rights and respect or that medicare for all is a good idea or because you insult Trump.

And don't you DARE suggest that we should not speak our opinions and ideals out of FUCKING FEAR.

You're either a right winger being disingenuous and attempting to get us to stop pushing our agenda, or you're the kind of fucking coward who thinks that if you just don't do anything to anger the Nazis, you'll survive the Nazi Regime. The special kind of coward who gets upset if his neighbor upsets the Nazis because well, that just makes things worse and if everyone just calmed down, there wouldn't be any need for all this violent police state repression.
I just read that Elizabeth Warren didn't make it to the first tier debate with Sanders, Biden and Buttigieg, although Harris did. I find that very interesting. I guess I'll get behind Warren now that I know that the powers that be in the dem party seem inclined to see that she is ignored as much as possible.
  #130  
Old 06-14-2019, 12:50 PM
pohjonen's Avatar
pohjonen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Almost Idaho
Posts: 1,724
BTW, Warren is polling in second place in many polls, according to 538.
  #131  
Old 06-14-2019, 01:22 PM
Folacin is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
I just read that Elizabeth Warren didn't make it to the first tier debate with Sanders, Biden and Buttigieg, although Harris did. I find that very interesting. I guess I'll get behind Warren now that I know that the powers that be in the dem party seem inclined to see that she is ignored as much as possible.
My understanding is that it isn't tiers - they are randomly assigning people to each night.

Although I read somewhere that they are doing two draws by splitting the 'viable' candidates into two pools (based on popularity?) and putting half of each group randomly into each night. So each night should have a couple of stars and a bunch of no-hopers.
  #132  
Old 06-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Are you close to any of these? https://www.google.com/search?client...ces+california
I would be angry enough to go!
You have to make an appointment. If you call the local number, it tells you they can offer no assistance or answer any questions via phone. You have to call a different number to make an appointment.
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God
  #133  
Old 06-14-2019, 03:07 PM
FairyChatMom's Avatar
FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 41,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
You have to make an appointment. If you call the local number, it tells you they can offer no assistance or answer any questions via phone. You have to call a different number to make an appointment.
Would it help to call your Congresscritter? Sometimes they can light fires.
  #134  
Old 06-14-2019, 07:38 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Stop pushing this idea that we can't go for the things we want and present our ideals as Democrats because it will make bigots angry and they'll re-elect Trump.

There isn't an entire army of angry bigots out there that DIDN'T vote for Trump but will do so if you make them angry by suggesting that trans-people deserve rights and respect or that medicare for all is a good idea or because you insult Trump.

And don't you DARE suggest that we should not speak our opinions and ideals out of FUCKING FEAR.

You're either a right winger being disingenuous and attempting to get us to stop pushing our agenda, or you're the kind of fucking coward who thinks that if you just don't do anything to anger the Nazis, you'll survive the Nazi Regime. The special kind of coward who gets upset if his neighbor upsets the Nazis because well, that just makes things worse and if everyone just calmed down, there wouldn't be any need for all this violent police state repression.
As one involved in politics on the local level, I could not agree more.

Seems that there are a number of people... Pelosi among them... who need opinion polls to know when to do the right thing.

As Americans, it is up to us to fight this and not wait for others to take the lead.

How often do I need to hear that I need the consent of those with no honor in order to act with honor?

In short, I agree with your rant.


Last edited by JohnT; 06-14-2019 at 07:39 PM.
  #135  
Old 06-16-2019, 07:50 AM
DummyGladHands is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,133
Dammit, they are not making $12 watches like they used to.
  #136  
Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 PM
minor7flat5's Avatar
minor7flat5 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 4,969
The tiniest of minirants...

In my humble opinion, restaurants that allow you to pick and choose your ingredients should always have a few good standard choices on the menu.

Yesterday I went to The Simple Greek and asked for a traditional gyro. The woman at the counter kept asking me what I wanted on it and I was saying "a regular gyro, like I would get at any other Greek restaurant"
But no, I have to answer twenty questions about various bits in order to put the thing together myself.

Jersey Mike's sub shop gets it right: they have a few dozen basic subs and sandwiches on the menu and you can always say "Mike's Way" and be assured of a tasty sub...or you can customize it to your heart's content.

The most annoying place I have been to was Cheeburger Cheeburger. You have to tell them how to build everything in your order, your burger, your salad, your shake. The kids dragged me there once and I don't think I'll be back.

I don't mind the options, but there should be a pretty clear solid good set of defaults for the non-adventurous types.
  #137  
Old 06-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Spectre of Pithecanthropus is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Transplanted!
Posts: 19,381
I'd like to know why my wheelbarrow and my 800# rated dolly both have flat tires.

More to the point, who the hell decided that a wheelbarrow or a dolly even needs pneumatic tires? We're not concerned about getting a smooth ride here!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Change your latitude, change your attitude.
  #138  
Old 06-16-2019, 08:50 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
Who the hell decided that a wheelbarrow or a dolly even needs pneumatic tires? We're not concerned about getting a smooth ride here!
[Ad for bad software redacted]
Every wheelbarrow I've ever used has had solid rubber wheels. I never saw one with get-a-flat-able tires since a few years ago.

Last edited by digs; 06-16-2019 at 08:50 PM.
  #139  
Old 06-16-2019, 11:19 PM
Spectre of Pithecanthropus is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Transplanted!
Posts: 19,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Every wheelbarrow I've ever used has had solid rubber wheels. I never saw one with get-a-flat-able tires since a few years ago.
The previous owners left the wheelbarrow behind; I wouldn't have bought it. I did buy the dolly, but I didn't even think to look closely at the wheels because it never occurred to me that they would be anything other than solid rubber.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Change your latitude, change your attitude.
  #140  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:41 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
The tiniest of minirants...

In my humble opinion, restaurants that allow you to pick and choose your ingredients should always have a few good standard choices on the menu.
In Spain those are still pretty new; Subway is making inroads but many people find them confusing, since we're used to predefined menu items where at most you can ask if it's possible to get some extra. You can tell whether the worker is new by the kind of questions they ask and how they ask them. For example, newbies will often ask someone who's asked for meatballs "what sauce", veterans know the usual answer to that is a confused "uh? What do you mean what sauce? You put in the meatballs with no sauce, how? It's meatballs, they already come with the tomato!" so they tend to ask "any other sauce?" and get a "hell no, it already comes with tomato!"


We're very clear on the concept of "meatballs which are already submerged in tomato sauce come with tomato sauce". Corporate Subway, apparently not so much.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #141  
Old 06-17-2019, 03:15 AM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 17,900
Y'all have heard me post about my pair of Siamese siblings. New to their repetoire of ways to drive me batshit; they like to stay in the beams in my living room. It's their personal space highway. Recently they have decided jumping from these high beams and landing dangerously close to my head on the back of my arm chair, is a fun thing to do. They always choose a nice quiet time and BOOM! here they come flying through the air in a flurry of hair and meows. Nearly giving me a stroke. Every dang time. Aaaaccckkk.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 06-17-2019 at 03:17 AM.
  #142  
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 AM
MissTake is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Here
Posts: 4,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Y'all have heard me post about my pair of Siamese siblings. New to their repetoire of ways to drive me batshit; they like to stay in the beams in my living room. It's their personal space highway. Recently they have decided jumping from these high beams and landing dangerously close to my head on the back of my arm chair, is a fun thing to do. They always choose a nice quiet time and BOOM! here they come flying through the air in a flurry of hair and meows. Nearly giving me a stroke. Every dang time. Aaaaccckkk.
I used to have a cat tree in my bedroom. When Dot lived here, her manner of waking me up was climb to the top and divebomb my pillow. Where my head would be. Sometimes she would miss the pillow and I would get all 10 pounds of furball on my head.

After she moved in with my daughter, Mayme took over wake up duties. She's 18 pounds and a klutzy cat. The cat tree was removed.
  #143  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:38 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
5 days I have been trying to reach them, both online and by phone. 5 DAYS!!!
STILL getting the same run around. Just shoot me already!!!!
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God
  #144  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:45 PM
FairyChatMom's Avatar
FairyChatMom is offline
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 41,967
One of these days there will be a joke thread and no one will feel compelled to post (for the thousandth time) "What's brown and sticky?"

Dare I hope for such a day??
  #145  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
One of these days there will be a joke thread and no one will feel compelled to post (for the thousandth time) "What's brown and sticky?"

Dare I hope for such a day??
I give up. What is brown and sticky?
  #146  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:58 PM
Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,393
Poop.
  #147  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:59 PM
minor7flat5's Avatar
minor7flat5 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 4,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
STILL getting the same run around. Just shoot me already!!!!
This is an IRS issue, yes? As such, you are at the mercy of their horrible phone queue and runaround, yes? For over a week.
And if you don't diligently jump through their hoops for ... a long time, you will be in trouble with the tax man.

Isn't this precisely the kind of situation that our congresspeople can help out with?

It seems that whenever I had a friend encounter some governmental bureaucracy indigestion, a call to their congressman seemed to sort it out post haste.
  #148  
Old 06-17-2019, 03:18 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I give up. What is brown and sticky?
A stick!
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God
  #149  
Old 06-17-2019, 03:28 PM
Kelevra is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 556
Apparently historic rainfall data is so secret that it is locked up in some CIA vault. Oh, you can get aggregate data. Or maps that show the entire US. But a simple database with rainfall data by station and date?? You must be a Russki spy!

After endless digging I thought I had found it. Turns out it stops in 2013. What, no one has figured out how to add data for 5 1/2 years??
  #150  
Old 06-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
A stick!
I liked Ludovic's answer better.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017