Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 09-17-2019, 08:24 PM
stretch is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Central Washington
Posts: 1,417
Oh, HQ admin staff, you morons. Why do you insist on helping me? You booked me a room I did not need, and did not tell me until after it was too late to cancel, so I had to burn good will at my preferred lodging to get them to cancel the room I wanted to stay in. Now I'm at a motel I do not like, and it smells like a pond came here to die. It's not even your job to book my travel! Please stop with the unasked for "help." Assholes.
  #102  
Old 09-17-2019, 09:09 PM
Ulf the Unwashed is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,493
Another bureaucratic mess. I sent my FSA about a thousand bucks' worth of pharmacy bills. Downloaded a list hot off the insurance company's website, everything that hadn't been paid for by the flx spending card, complete with patient name, date, medication, cost to us, and pharmacy (the one here in town or mail order). Sent the whole thing off. The claim was denied.

I got in touch with them. The only way to do so was to do a "chat." I HATE "chats." I hated them even worse when I was told by "Joseph," the man in charge of my "chat," that the issue was easily resolved: they just needed a little more information, specifically a copy of the original prescriptions written by the doctor, ideally a copy of the prescription as written on the prescription pad. Yes, he really said this.

I pushed back, of course. Surely that can't be right, I wrote; prescription pads are entirely gone in my state (as in all states now?), have been for several years. Plus which I've done this many times before, I explained, using the same type of list from the same insurance company, and had never run into trouble. What's the deal?

I do understand, Joseph wrote, but these are IRS regulations.

The fuck they are, I wrote (well, not quite so bluntly, I actually asked him to send me a copy of that regulation).

--Well, after several more go-rounds I managed to convince him that the list was legit. He said he'd overturn the denial and fasttrack the reimbursement. Which is good, but I expected the whole thing to take ten minutes, and it took forty.

I'm too fucking old for this.
  #103  
Old 09-17-2019, 10:00 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,488
40 minutes? Friend, you got off light. It took three fucking days to sort of resolve an issue that an airline created. And, yes, I was on the phone with the necessary outfits--yes, plural--to get that sort of resolved.
  #104  
Old 09-18-2019, 05:36 PM
Sicks Ate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: KS, US
Posts: 6,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Well done for stopping before you hit the verge.

When you're recharged, let us know what's up.
Thank you.

I melted down a bit there for a day. But upon reflecting, I'm going to go ahead and finish the project at hand, and then do some more me-oriented fun projects.
  #105  
Old 09-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,737
You got a chat? Someone actually reading what you wrote? Damn you's fancy!

I'm currently playing a play-to-pretty game: the stuff you pay for is 99% cosmetic. They won't take my money: I've been flagged for possible money-laundering (what the fuck does "buying a pretty dress for my virtual doll" have to do with money laundering, please?) and been told to send scans of my ID and CC to an American company. The American company are legit according to the game people, but I can find very little information about them on the internet. Attempts to contact the Americans requesting information on the exact regs which would entitle them to such scans are met with one of two email forms: either one telling me that I'm flagged for possible money-laundering and must send them scans of my ID and CC (front and back) or a different but still form email apologizing for any confusion and indicating that they only need to see certain specific pieces of info.

OK, no pretty dresses. Sorry, virtual doll!
  #106  
Old 09-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Leaper is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In my own little world...
Posts: 12,614
So I play this mobile game based on a franchise I have long history with. I enjoy it, enough to throw a small amount of money their way occasionally, which I pretty much never do otherwise.

Their subreddit is great for strategy and advice. But man, some of the topics about how the game is run just brings out so many reactionaries. Like their nerfing of this or their noncommittal to that or their RL money bundle offer is mathematically a poor deal or directly worse than a previous longstanding one... There’s just so much (or enough) anger and bitterness that I feel that I shake my head at times. Just... don’t buy it? They may or may not be trying to “cheat” us, but you’d think they were going after YOU specifically, with that tone.

Chill. Seriously. Sheesh.

(I realize that such topics amplify negativity, especially online, because those like me won’t post for fear of causing an argument or seem like we’re belittling legit concerns or don’t want to be downvoted into oblivion. I realize that if the dev’s intent really is trying to “scam” new players with a less than ideal return, that’s bad. I realize that certain acts can lead to a shorter life for a game I enjoy and come off badly to its players. I just don’t feel personally insulted or outraged the way some of these people seem to. Like I said, just... don’t buy it? No need for hysteria, even if you do like the game and are concerned about its future THAT much, which, I dunno... I don’t feel that at times...)
  #107  
Old 09-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Dead Cat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 4,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Well done for stopping before you hit the verge.

When you're recharged, let us know what's up.
He won't find what's up by fixing the tiller, just what's down.

Lacunae Matata, I don't know you or your backstory, so particular apologies for the unsolicited advice, but I too vote to keep the boat. Based on that one post, it seems you and your husband have some communication issues. Best of luck with working them out. Oh, and it's a small thing, but you have one of the best usernames on the Dope.
  #108  
Old 09-19-2019, 01:32 PM
Angel of the Lord is offline
Resident Archangel
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bellona
Posts: 3,344
I've had six doctor's appointments this week. Five were planned in advance, and one was a follow-up from one of those five appointments. It's nothing major, and not even for one thing, but holy crap, I am so glad to not have one today.

One of them was for my sense of smell, which got really messed up by probably-a-viral-infection. I still need an MRI. Spent like twenty minutes in the doctor's office answering questions, including a detailed discussion about the removal of my IUD in 2016. Yesterday, they called me to schedule the MRI...then told me they couldn't because I had an IUD. Nevermind that it's an MRI of my head, it used to be a copper IUD, and I don't have a fucking IUD. So, long call back, then a month out for the MRI. Because, you know, waiting doesn't happen in the US.

Then, that evening, I went to Target to try to buy some white chocolate caramel apple pie Dove pieces, which are exclusive to Target and which the store's website said they had in stock. Couldn't find any. Store's inventory said they had thirty two in stock. They could find zero of them, however, and suggested that, since I was running late (having grossly underestimated the time required to walk into a store and buy a thing) that I order it online. So I did.

They cancelled the order. That made me pretty furious. I just ordered them somewhere fifty miles away, and I'm going to pick them up on Saturday or something, but at that point, I'm really just doing this to spite our individual Target. So, basically, I'm driving to another city, to buy candy that I'm going to parcel out over the course of like two months, just because I'm too fucking stubborn to admit defeat.
  #109  
Old 09-19-2019, 04:57 PM
Morgyn is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,829
Sad news on the kitty-cat front. Not mine, but Grandpa Mason, of Grandpa Mason and His Kittens, is going to be euthanized tonight. His kidney disease has gotten ahead of any care that can be given to him, and his quality of life isn't, anymore. Everyone in the TinyKittens community is grieving, but none more than Shelly, who fought so hard to give him so much extra life.
  #110  
Old 09-20-2019, 10:33 AM
slalexan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 379
I shall give my cat extra love tonight. Their lives are always too short.

I am 30. I am not old. But apparently I am old enough that I can sleep wrong or do some very small wrong thing and have my shoulder hurt the whole freakin week. It doesn't hurt that bad, but it does enough that it has put me in a bad mood all week. And I'm not even sure what I did.
  #111  
Old 09-20-2019, 12:18 PM
ENugent is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 3,845
That is the worst, slalexan. I started physical therapy today for an injury that I got on Father's Day. I kept thinking it was getting better, then it would go downhill for a while, then I would think now it's getting better, etc. The worst part is that I wasn't even aware of injuring it - it just started to hurt like the devil that night.
__________________
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
  #112  
Old 09-20-2019, 12:50 PM
stretch is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Central Washington
Posts: 1,417
One of the kids* that I have acquired over the years called me yesterday evening in a panic asking if I knew of a vet that takes payments. Seems Rover** had caught himself on something and had a gash on his side. It's close to his front leg where it gets a lot of movement and conveniently located where he could reach it to lick it. Of course, there are no vets locally that officially*** take payments.

I told him that I take payments and asked where are we meeting? The vet we both usually use had already told him they couldn't get him in, so emergency vet it is.

Holy shit, kid, on the phone you really undersold what happened to Rover! I'm glad we're here. Rover seems to not notice he has a gaping wound in his side. He just wants to love all the people we brought him to see. He's a very sweet 80-pound mutt with a blocky head and goofy ears. Everyone gives him love and he is very happy to be at this new place.

Damage: Surgical removal of 6 inch by about 2 inches skin-and-tissue flap. The way he torn it, the skin could not be closed without removing the flap. 10 inches of stitches because of course they had to remove a lot of stuff to get to good tissue and skin. A lovely drainage tube. Cone of shame for many days. $825. I don't think it would have been much cheaper at my vet, so I'm okay with that and not surprised. Shit's expensive here.

This kid is my shade-tree mechanic so we will be trading labor for vet bills. Luckily, my cars are old and my daughter recently bought a rig that needs some work. We'll be square in short order.

*We choose our family and my daughters brought home a lot of strays, both human and other.
**His real name.
***My vet will work with me, but usually it's for something we work out in advance.

Last edited by stretch; 09-20-2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: extra words
  #113  
Old 09-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Sad news on the kitty-cat front. Not mine, but Grandpa Mason, of Grandpa Mason and His Kittens, is going to be euthanized tonight. His kidney disease has gotten ahead of any care that can be given to him, and his quality of life isn't, anymore. Everyone in the TinyKittens community is grieving, but none more than Shelly, who fought so hard to give him so much extra life.
Aw. I hope the kittens can find some other adult they can curl up with. :'(
  #114  
Old 09-20-2019, 02:01 PM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,682
Sounds like you saved a good 'un, stretch!
  #115  
Old 09-21-2019, 11:49 AM
Dr. Girlfriend's Avatar
Dr. Girlfriend is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: between chair & keyboard
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Sad news on the kitty-cat front. Not mine, but Grandpa Mason, of Grandpa Mason and His Kittens, is going to be euthanized tonight. His kidney disease has gotten ahead of any care that can be given to him, and his quality of life isn't, anymore. Everyone in the TinyKittens community is grieving, but none more than Shelly, who fought so hard to give him so much extra life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Aw. I hope the kittens can find some other adult they can curl up with. :'(
I can't seem to find the video now but I saw on Facebook last night that Aura has taken over the kitten snuggling duties. I legit ugly cried over a cat I never met. My cat has kidney disease and I've learned quite a bit from TinyKittens and Mason. Rest in peace, Mason, you did good.


And because this is the mini-rants thread, why the hell does a flu shot hurt so damn bad? Got my flu shot on Thursday and my arm is still sore!
  #116  
Old 09-21-2019, 12:40 PM
Morgyn is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Girlfriend View Post
I can't seem to find the video now but I saw on Facebook last night that Aura has taken over the kitten snuggling duties. I legit ugly cried over a cat I never met. My cat has kidney disease and I've learned quite a bit from TinyKittens and Mason. Rest in peace, Mason, you did good.
Mason was pretty special. Makes you wonder how many other Masons there might be out there that we'll never hear about. Aura seems to be a bit less patient than Mason, but I expect she'll grow into the role.

Did you see that Shelly had formally adopted Mason on Wednesday?

I think her stifled sobs while she was petting Mason on that last day, when he was snuggled with Peggy and Piggy, was what got to me most. And that he let her touch him.
  #117  
Old 09-21-2019, 06:38 PM
wolfman is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 10,956
For fucks sake. I went close to 10 years without buying a new phone. The I got it knocked out of my hand, and cracked the screen to pieces, so I end end being forced to by new one. A Samsung s9+ because it was really a good deal,like 6 generations beyond my last one.

And I loved it (for the first month). In the month since then they have chances every fucking feature of the fucking phone in forced updates. The notification screen, It's fucking gone( unless you hit a fucking icon on the load screen, which I cant do in gloves or with wet hands.

I can't even figure out how to raise the screen brightness since they changed it yesterday and no-one has a guide on google out yet, and every menu is different.
  #118  
Old 09-21-2019, 06:49 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,367
Have you looked into Settings to figure out how to change the brightness?
  #119  
Old 09-22-2019, 11:49 AM
Dr. Girlfriend's Avatar
Dr. Girlfriend is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: between chair & keyboard
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Mason was pretty special. Makes you wonder how many other Masons there might be out there that we'll never hear about. Aura seems to be a bit less patient than Mason, but I expect she'll grow into the role.

Did you see that Shelly had formally adopted Mason on Wednesday?

I think her stifled sobs while she was petting Mason on that last day, when he was snuggled with Peggy and Piggy, was what got to me most. And that he let her touch him.
I had not seen that Shelly adopted Mason, that's wonderful. Shelly has such a big heart.
  #120  
Old 09-22-2019, 10:52 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,572
FFS, I am so damn glad I'm retiring at the end of the year. My company sent out the week's schedule to everybody, for the week of 9-22 to 9-28. They sent it out tonight at 8:45pm.
Thanks for the stupendous advanced notice, assholes.
  #121  
Old 09-22-2019, 11:32 PM
Lacunae Matata is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SE Georgia
Posts: 3,795
I'm not even reading the past three days and offering sympathy. I'm just bitching. I'll do the other bit in a minute.

For the past two plus years, my mom has subscribed to the idea that it's better for the environment if she burns most of her non-metallic trash, versus taking it to the recycling station 3/4 of a mile from her house.

Yesterday it finally happened. My mom set a bag of trash afire. Plastic bag, foam plates, gusty wind.

Fortunately, my brother cut the meadow last week. My dad has second degree burns on both hands, my mom burnt both feet, and the forestry firefighters arrived quickly. My mom's stupid notion of burning trash resulted in a 3-acre brushfire, and she was lucky. My dad went to the hospital. He's diabetic. Extremity wounds are dangerous.

I'm so mad, because this scared me.

Honestly, if Ma wants to off herself in her perverse idea of environmentalism, I guess it's her business. But she endangered herself and her neighbors. No bueno.
  #122  
Old 09-23-2019, 12:24 AM
Lacunae Matata is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SE Georgia
Posts: 3,795
The funny bit, because there's always a funny bit:

Ma thinks this is between her and my brother. And my brother and I do share responsibility for the things that our mom needs, and that's fine.

But my brother just transferred ownership of the property where my mom lives to satisfy a loan. His idea, not mine.

My mom is going to be pissed when she learns of this, even though it's the same terms (I hope she can pay $100/month for property tax and insurance, but it's okay if she can't.)

But she really will be cheesed when she finds that it's my property and not my brother's. Even if nothing changes.
  #123  
Old 09-23-2019, 09:07 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,682
Our mini horse, Sugar, died over the weekend. She had always struggled with asthma and had been having a real hard time breathing lately, so we had the vet out last week, who gave her allergy meds and antibiotics. Miss Sugar had started eating again and seemed to be feeling better...and then we went out to the barn and found her gone. A heart attack maybe.
I'm really not in the mood to get any more animals right now, but Sugar's death leaves our sweet donkey Joey with no company out in the pasture, and that's not good for them, so I'm looking around for somebody to adopt or rescue.
  #124  
Old 09-24-2019, 10:47 AM
purplehorseshoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 10,109
Awww, I'm so sorry about Sugar. I got to meet a group of mini horses once (trained as assistant animals, I think maybe guides for the blind?) and was impressed with how intelligent and quiet they all acted. Fully housebroken, too!

They seem like lovely animals. I am sorry you lost yours.

Are you looking to adopt a companion for your donkey, or looking for someone who would adopt your donkey?
__________________
I can haz sig line?
  #125  
Old 09-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,682
We'd definitely rather adopt another donkey, mini horse, or other equine than give up Joey. We've found some possible candidates at nearby rescue organizations, but there are so many hoops to jump through first, it may take awhile.
Thank you for the kind words.
  #126  
Old 09-25-2019, 08:21 AM
Kelevra is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 556
I used to sleep all thru the night with no issues and wake up refreshed and ready to go.
Then I had a child.
Now I sleep for shit. The slightest sound wakes me up. And if there's no sound I wake up at 2 am anyway and can't go back to sleep.
Moral of the story: Don't have children.
  #127  
Old 09-25-2019, 11:52 AM
slalexan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
I used to sleep all thru the night with no issues and wake up refreshed and ready to go.
Then I had a child.
Now I sleep for shit. The slightest sound wakes me up. And if there's no sound I wake up at 2 am anyway and can't go back to sleep.
Moral of the story: Don't have children.
That happened to me too. I became an absolute anxious mess after my daughter was born. Some of this is normal, I think, to make sure that babies don't die in the night and then our brains are just like "this is normal now, keep doing the normal" but it can also be extreme. At one point, I was terrified to leave the house because I was convinced actual harm would come to my baby. However, I didn't realize that those types of feelings weren't normal and that maybe I should have gotten help until much much later.

Anyway, you aren't alone and I hope it gets better soon.

So remember how I complained about my shoulder hurting the other day? I took a bunch of ibuprofen to get through my days because the pain was that annoying. And, usually, this doesn't bother me. Until now. Because I turned 30 and the wheels are just gonna fall off and now my stomach can't take ibuprofen. (Or maybe I'm sick or any number of things. Why is this happening?!)
  #128  
Old 09-25-2019, 05:46 PM
aurora maire's Avatar
aurora maire is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 941
I'm so fucking frustrated. I'm waiting on a pathology report from a doctor visit two weeks ago. Last week the nurse left a message on my home phone (yes I have a landline) to call her. I called and left a message asking her to please call my cellphone. She called my home phone again the next day. I've now left four messages asking that she please call my cell and she called my home phone twice today. "We seem to be playing phone tag." NO, we are not playing phone tag. Someone is not paying attention to my messages. There is no option to speak to a live person. I just sent a message through their patient portal so hopefully someone will get the phone number to her. The office is closed on Friday so if I don't hear back from someone by tomorrow afternoon, I guess I'll have to go to the office and sit there until someone will talk to me. I don't want to worry through another weekend. Grrr.
  #129  
Old 09-26-2019, 03:28 AM
Dead Cat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 4,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
I took a bunch of ibuprofen to get through my days because the pain was that annoying. And, usually, this doesn't bother me. Until now. Because I turned 30 and the wheels are just gonna fall off and now my stomach can't take ibuprofen. (Or maybe I'm sick or any number of things. Why is this happening?!)
You probably already know this, but ibuprofen can irritate the stomach lining, so it's recommended to take it with or just after food. If you're taking it on an empty stomach, it could be as simple as that. If you need to take something on an empty stomach for some reason, try paracetamol, which shouldn't have this side effect. Disclaimer: I have had zero medical training - speak to a doctor or pharmacist. But you knew that, too.
  #130  
Old 09-26-2019, 07:47 AM
Ulf the Unwashed is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
Another bureaucratic mess. I sent my FSA about a thousand bucks' worth of pharmacy bills. Downloaded a list hot off the insurance company's website, everything that hadn't been paid for by the flx spending card, complete with patient name, date, medication, cost to us, and pharmacy (the one here in town or mail order). Sent the whole thing off. The claim was denied.

I got in touch with them. The only way to do so was to do a "chat." I HATE "chats." I hated them even worse when I was told by "Joseph," the man in charge of my "chat," that the issue was easily resolved: they just needed a little more information, specifically a copy of the original prescriptions written by the doctor, ideally a copy of the prescription as written on the prescription pad. Yes, he really said this.

I pushed back, of course. Surely that can't be right, I wrote; prescription pads are entirely gone in my state (as in all states now?), have been for several years. Plus which I've done this many times before, I explained, using the same type of list from the same insurance company, and had never run into trouble. What's the deal?

I do understand, Joseph wrote, but these are IRS regulations.

The fuck they are, I wrote (well, not quite so bluntly, I actually asked him to send me a copy of that regulation).

--Well, after several more go-rounds I managed to convince him that the list was legit. He said he'd overturn the denial and fasttrack the reimbursement. Which is good, but I expected the whole thing to take ten minutes, and it took forty.

I'm too fucking old for this.
Well: No one fasttracked my reimbursement. No one approved it, for that matter. No one informed me that they still weren't approving it. But a week went by, and when I checked the website, the claim still showed Denied.

I found a phone number, which wasn't easy. Called. Spent an hour on hold and talking to three different people, not counting the time when they dropped my call and I had to call back via the phone maze ("If you want to talk to an actual person, key in 3.14159...").

"We have to have your prescription list on letterhead," they explained. "With a signature."

I explained all over again that the insurance company only provided this document and that it had worked in the past. Just a list of Rx numbers, medications, dates filled, person filled for, and cost I paid. That's all they give their customers.

Eventually the FSA people called the insurance company, and set up a conference call with me and them. Insurance company confirms. That's all we do. That's all we give the customers.

"I'll make a note in the file," says the representative from the FSA company. And hopefully he did, because the clock on this is now up over two hours and I REALLY don't want to have this conversation again.
  #131  
Old 09-26-2019, 08:05 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,488
Ulf, sorry you are going through that, but your comment about keying in π made my day, and my wife's day, too!
  #132  
Old 09-26-2019, 12:33 PM
slalexan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
You probably already know this, but ibuprofen can irritate the stomach lining, so it's recommended to take it with or just after food. If you're taking it on an empty stomach, it could be as simple as that. If you need to take something on an empty stomach for some reason, try paracetamol, which shouldn't have this side effect. Disclaimer: I have had zero medical training - speak to a doctor or pharmacist. But you knew that, too.
I am pretty religious about making sure to have things in my stomach before taking ibuprofen. But you can still cause problems if you are taking too much.

However, after going to the doctor today, that did NOT end up being my problem. I'm pregnant and it might be ectopic and, well, now I'm just a ball of panic. I hope it's not ectopic. We've been trying. I'm having all the feelings right now.

Last edited by slalexan; 09-26-2019 at 12:34 PM.
  #133  
Old 09-26-2019, 12:49 PM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,682
Whoa. Good luck to you, slalexan.
  #134  
Old 09-26-2019, 01:53 PM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,737
Appendages crossed, slalexan.
  #135  
Old 09-26-2019, 03:14 PM
aruvqan is offline
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 16,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
I'm so fucking frustrated. I'm waiting on a pathology report from a doctor visit two weeks ago. Last week the nurse left a message on my home phone (yes I have a landline) to call her. I called and left a message asking her to please call my cellphone. She called my home phone again the next day. I've now left four messages asking that she please call my cell and she called my home phone twice today. "We seem to be playing phone tag." NO, we are not playing phone tag. Someone is not paying attention to my messages. There is no option to speak to a live person. I just sent a message through their patient portal so hopefully someone will get the phone number to her. The office is closed on Friday so if I don't hear back from someone by tomorrow afternoon, I guess I'll have to go to the office and sit there until someone will talk to me. I don't want to worry through another weekend. Grrr.
Simple fix once Monday rolls around [or the next weekday] Remove your landline from your file, leave only the number you WANT to be contacted on - I honestly don't see any point to differentiating between mobile and landline, if they request a landline, tell them that the cell is the *only* number that you can be reached upon.

Just like I have some scrips that get e-filed to Walgreens, and some go to the Navy dispensary - the ones to the Navy I require to be done on paper and physically handed to me, and we take them to base and turn them in and collect them in person. I have a page I print out every single visit that lists my medications, the doses and the scheduling, and they are listed in 2 sections - e-file section and hard copy section, and I hand it over to the person in the practice responsible for doing the prescription setup for the doc to sign off upon. It has clear instructions at the top of the page, informing them that this is the copy of the list for the office, and to check off each prescription as it is handled.
  #136  
Old 09-26-2019, 09:20 PM
The Vorlon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sol III
Posts: 2,220
Last year's family sized Count Chocula: 20.7oz

This year's family sized Count Chocula: 19.5oz



I suppose that I shouldn't be upset I'm getting less of my guilty pleasure...
  #137  
Old 09-27-2019, 07:43 AM
Dolores Reborn's Avatar
Dolores Reborn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Houston
Posts: 14,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Last year's family sized Count Chocula: 20.7oz

This year's family sized Count Chocula: 19.5oz



I suppose that I shouldn't be upset I'm getting less of my guilty pleasure...
ALL products seem to be going through this "downsizing". It's such a ripoff. A lot of times they charge more for the new size than the previous one!
  #138  
Old 09-27-2019, 08:12 AM
Morgyn is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,829
Have you noticed that you can't get a half gallon of ice cream anymore? They look the same size on the outside, but they've raised the bottom of the container up so that it's actually 1.5 quarts. Same price, though.
  #139  
Old 09-27-2019, 09:17 AM
slalexan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
However, after going to the doctor today, that did NOT end up being my problem. I'm pregnant and it might be ectopic and, well, now I'm just a ball of panic. I hope it's not ectopic. We've been trying. I'm having all the feelings right now.
Waiting for the blood test results to come back is really, really hard. I'm trying to be patient. I'm trying to not cry at work in front of everyone (I thought work would be a good distraction). I wish we could just know now and I could just get the feelings over with. Do I need to mourn or can I celebrate? Do I need medicine or surgery? Gosh, I just want to make a plan.
  #140  
Old 09-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,682
I had to put my seventeen-year-old cat down last night. I took him to the vet because he'd been losing weight and not grooming himself lately, but I pretty much knew how it was going to go. Bruno was a brave and beautiful cat who deserves his own thread with pictures and a great eulogy, but I just can't do it. He was my friend.


Not a good week for animals around here...
  #141  
Old 09-27-2019, 01:05 PM
kayT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Have you noticed that you can't get a half gallon of ice cream anymore? They look the same size on the outside, but they've raised the bottom of the container up so that it's actually 1.5 quarts. Same price, though.
Blue Bell has not done this and in fact states on the carton that it's still a half gallon.
  #142  
Old 09-27-2019, 01:18 PM
Jynxster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 466
Red Alert! General Quarters! Jynxster Parental Unit's detected at the Jynxster Residence! All cats on deck! Secure the wine and the scotch! Prepare for incoming unnecessary comments about the cleanliness of the house and or general size, weight or appearance of Jynxster! Raise grey rock shields! Prepare the bean dip! This is not a drill! Repeat. This is not a drill! Awoooogah! Enter at your own risk.

**Red Alert will remain in effect for the next 48 hours. Extra rations of wine are authorized for Captain Jynxster only! All others will be given half rations, especially the parents. Any personnel engaging in Political/racist/homophobic talk of any kind will be made to walk the plank or exit the residence at sword point immediately.

An aftermath report will be given on Monday if there be any survivors remaining.
  #143  
Old 09-27-2019, 01:25 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Have you noticed that you can't get a half gallon of ice cream anymore? They look the same size on the outside, but they've raised the bottom of the container up so that it's actually 1.5 quarts. Same price, though.
I’ve been ranting on this for at least thirteen years.

So, welcome to the club.

Ya know, what with Boris Johnson’s prorogue being declared illegal, FOX News apologizing to Greta Thunberg, and an impeachment inquiry being opened, it’s beginning to look like the storming of Area 51 might have unleashed something. Maybe a correction of the ice cream thing is in the offing...
  #144  
Old 09-27-2019, 01:38 PM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxster View Post
Red Alert! General Quarters! Jynxster Parental Unit's detected at the Jynxster Residence! All cats on deck! Secure the wine and the scotch! Prepare for incoming unnecessary comments about the cleanliness of the house and or general size, weight or appearance of Jynxster! Raise grey rock shields! Prepare the bean dip! This is not a drill! Repeat. This is not a drill! Awoooogah! Enter at your own risk.
Last time I was with Navamom she asked "do you not wear earrings any more?" "sometimes I do" "oh". Just not where Navamom is around, because the last time she said something positive about what I was wearing, I hadn't been baptized yet*.



* Catholic. I got baptized at 3 days of age.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #145  
Old 09-27-2019, 01:44 PM
Dolores Reborn's Avatar
Dolores Reborn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Houston
Posts: 14,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I had to put my seventeen-year-old cat down last night. I took him to the vet because he'd been losing weight and not grooming himself lately, but I pretty much knew how it was going to go. Bruno was a brave and beautiful cat who deserves his own thread with pictures and a great eulogy, but I just can't do it. He was my friend.


Not a good week for animals around here...
I'm so sorry, Dung Beetle. It's so hard, even when you know it's time. Jedi Hugs if you want them.
  #146  
Old 09-27-2019, 01:58 PM
Dung Beetle's Avatar
Dung Beetle is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,682
Jedi hugs gratefully accepted, DR.
  #147  
Old 09-27-2019, 04:03 PM
Morgyn is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Blue Bell has not done this and in fact states on the carton that it's still a half gallon.
If only they made my (most of the time) favorite flavor, then! For the record, that is Friendly's Butter Crunch (nothing like the same-named Blue Bell's Butter Crunch). Followed closely by the High's brand of Pecan Praline Parfait, but I think there is no such thing as High's anymore. Not sure if anyone else makes the Pecan Praline Parfait. I know no one else makes Butter Crunch, though.

ETA: Also, there don't appear to be any places selling it in PA. I could be wrong though; it's not what I look for in the grocery store.

Last edited by Morgyn; 09-27-2019 at 04:04 PM.
  #148  
Old 09-27-2019, 06:29 PM
teela brown is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Almost Silicon Valley
Posts: 9,591
Due to an office reshuffle, a new person moved into an office directly across from me. Her iPhone has a ringtone which is the recordation of a baby's giggling. When she's away from her desk, the repetitive baby's giggle goes on and on.

Now I know what it reminds me of! Leonard Hofstadter's "cackling Joker" ringtone. I didn't realize that an insane Joker and babies sounded so similar.
  #149  
Old 09-27-2019, 07:01 PM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,681
I'm sorry to hear that, Dung Beetle.

There must be a lot of security cameras where teela brown works, because otherwise you would think someone would have smashed that thing to bits by now.

My mini-rant: several neighborhoods are getting together next week to collect donations for hurricane victims. How sweet! In reading the email, I noticed the name of the person who has oh-so-generously volunteered to drive all the donations over to the collection point -- the neighborhood drunk who had the police show up at his house so often for noise complaints that he had to start partying at neighbors' homes to avoid the threat of further fines. He ultimately moved to another house in the neighborhood. This upstanding citizen also called my mother to curse her out after she asked his wife to remove their dog's poo from our yard. :| Yeah, I think I'll sit this one out.
  #150  
Old 09-27-2019, 07:46 PM
Ulf the Unwashed is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Blue Bell has not done this and in fact states on the carton that it's still a half gallon.
Stewart’s has done this too—advertises a full half gallon. Of course, this doesn’t help unless you live in NE New York or a small space of Western New England, where the chain hangs its hat. But if you do, like me, it’s great!
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017