Old 08-27-2019, 01:45 PM

My Labor Day weekend will rock. What about yours?

Staring off with a Sting concert. I've seen Sting lots of times but this concert is with the Utah Philharmonic to benefit Zion NP. Coming back we will visit a place I've wanted to visit for years - the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Anyone else doing anything exciting during the upcoming 3-day weekend?

-Richard Hariss
Old 08-27-2019, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

If the weather cooperates, I'll make my first attempt at photographing a dressage event.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Be spending it with my kids and grandkids out east of here.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:55 PM

Mid-daughter and her boys and 2 Chihuahuas will roll in from NewOrleans for a long weekend. The lil'wrekker will be in with boyfriend in tow.Should be a busy few days. The most exciting thing will be the Cats dealing with the yappers. Oh, joy!
Old 08-27-2019, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Next week is our 10th anniversary, so Friday afternoon we are off to Madrid for a week! I am excited - other than an overnight layover on the way back from Morocco when we were both too sick to go more than 100 yards from a bathroom, I haven't been there since I was a broke 19-year-old college student. I am very much looking forward to getting to do some of the touristy things that I didn't do my entire semester studying there because I was too broke. Also, I am looking forward to some non-institutional food.

Any and all travel recs appreciated!
Old 08-28-2019, 02:07 AM

Madrid has my favorite theater in the world, Circo Price. As the name indicates, it used to be a circus; they offer classes in juggling, clowning and other circus arts, the old pictures set in the external hallway include Pinito del Oro on the trapeze and gents in tailcoats on the tight rope. The "stage" is the circus ring. They often have concerts, dance troupesÖ real unusual, and always real cool.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

I must really be doing retirement right. I had no idea it was the coming weekend until seeing this thread.

Knowing that, I'll stay home to avoid crowds, smoke a brisket or something, and celebrate knowing the wally's and fools will be off the lake until Memorial weekend 2020.

Mine won't rock, in the sense you're describing. But it will mark that marvelous entry into fall, when the chillun's are safely locked in class all day, their parents are enslaved to school games and activities, and the parks and lakes are mine again. Now they will become places of solitude and peace. So I will celebrate it.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:19 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I've got to mow the yard, since we were out of town last weekend. And there's always laundry.

Since the beginning of this year, I've only worked Tues-Weds-Thurs - this'll be just another Monday off, except I'll get a few hours of paid holiday leave because my company rocks!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Our annual weekend on Cape Cod, cut a little shorter this year since we can't go down until early Saturday morning. Biking, beaches, and seafood; plus the people watching and shopping of P-Town.

And traffic.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:27 AM

Not a damn thing!
I've been away the past five weekends, & overseas for work for 2Ĺ weeks. I'm also away the next three weekends. I'm beat up & the house is a mess. I've begged off everything to stay home, so naps & cleaning.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Looks like Eva Luna wins the thread!

I'm afraid we'll be hunkering down for another bloody hurricane.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:47 AM

Dorian will be making my weekend gray.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:54 AM

I will be on a five day motorcycle trip across several southern states.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:25 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

I have a 4-Day weekend, starting Friday. I'll probably just spend it around the house. My job is sending me to Croatia for a month on Tuesday.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:06 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

No big plans for the weekend except having some good BBQ, probably from Smoking Pig--love the "wolf turds" there!

Now that I'm retired I have the option to hit the road after Labor Day when the summer crowds have died down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
Coming back we will visit a place I've wanted to visit for years - the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
I've been several times, the North Rim is definitely worth the trip if you have the time. If I make it out there again, I definitely want to drive down to the river on East Portal Rd.

Last edited by blondebear; 08-28-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:38 PM

Let's see, my 3 day weekend will include:
-mowing the lawn
-bush hogging the pastures
-moving logs away from the fences so we can let the goats roam 2 pastures
-any necessary fence repairs to above
-trimming the hedges
-pressure washing the porch and sidewalk
-a round of golf
-a family get together, including a visit from my out-of-state son and his new girlfriend
-harvesting various varieties of peppers, tomatoes, eggplant and okra
-filling in the holes where I repaired 2 pasture hydrants

So, pretty much nothin'.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:13 PM

The alternator in my wife's car went out this week, so I'm going to spend some part of one of the weekend days swapping that out for a new one. I hate working on cars and while I know how to do it, I'd rather scub 100 toilets with a toothbrush than change that damn alternator.

Additionally the transmission in my car is on its last legs so I need to start seriously shopping for a new-to-me car. Which I also hate. Long weekends are a nice time to drive through the used car lots and do a bit of window shopping because there's nobody there to hassle you.

More pleasantly, I'm hope to fire up the charcoal grill and make... I dunno yet. Hamburgers are a favorite here but we just had those a couple weeks ago so I might grab some steaks or chicken thighs and grill those instead. Maybe do a salmon fillet. The kids go back to school on Monday (one is going into middle school and the other will be a freshman in high school) and I have a new boss starting on Tuesday so I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that this weekend will be the calm before the storm.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:36 AM

Labor Day is the anniversary of my hit-and-run incident. I'll be spending it like every year hoping that ASSHOLE chokes on his/her steak and potato salad.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Saturday-Doing my shift at the food pantry.
Sunday-Attending a wedding.
Monday-Work as usual.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:51 AM

Going to the BYU - Utah game tonight, having a bunch of friends over for dinner tomorrow, Saturday will be staying home with the kiddo while the wife gets a massage, Sunday will be the normal church routine, Monday will be at a water park with the in-laws.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:37 PM

I have no plans but will definitely spend time thinking gratefully of the many improvements brought about by early union members, often at great personal cost. I do this every Labor Day.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Weekend in the country.

Archery, hammocks, perhaps some kayaking and fishing on the lake... Maybe I'll breakout the ol' guitar and learn how to play a chord or two.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:05 PM

Work so that I can pay on the debt it took to get the job so I could work. Watch my wife get a little more sick. Die a little myself, inside, because I can't afford the insurance that could fix what the doctors did to her when I had insurance.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
Next week is our 10th anniversary, so Friday afternoon we are off to Madrid for a week! I am excited - other than an overnight layover on the way back from Morocco when we were both too sick to go more than 100 yards from a bathroom, I haven't been there since I was a broke 19-year-old college student. I am very much looking forward to getting to do some of the touristy things that I didn't do my entire semester studying there because I was too broke. Also, I am looking forward to some non-institutional food.

I hope you will post about your visit after you get back - we have an opportunity to go to either France or Spain in December and would love to hear what you liked about Madrid.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:33 AM

I’m going to Disneyland!

My Father just got out of hospital so I flew out to see him. But tomorrow is Disneyland.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post

Oh, and if you haven't seen Toledo: superinteresting and it's all in a surprisingly small space (I mean, surprisiingly small by Spanish standards). You can go by commuter train and back the same day, if you want. Wear good walking shoes (espadrilles or sneakers would probably be best), because those streets are pebbled slippery slopes. Aside from the ton of visiteable stuff they make a type of enameled/engraved jewelry that's very popular. The food is unlikely to be the best (sorry) but it normally "lets itself be eaten".

Last edited by Nava; 08-30-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
Anyone else doing anything exciting during the upcoming 3-day weekend?
I work retail. Every holiday weekend is "exciting".

But don't feel bad for me - I volunteer to work the holidays for time-and-half and double-time.

In my off hours: Amazon dropped a new TV series, I've got my weaving loom and treadle sewing machine fixed, and everything I need to make lemon-poppyseed muffins. I should be happily entertained.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:38 AM

Well, I've got six tons of road base/gravel to spread on my driveway, so... It will 'rock'.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Oh, and if you haven't seen Toledo: superinteresting and it's all in a surprisingly small space (I mean, surprisiingly small by Spanish standards). You can go by commuter train and back the same day, if you want. Wear good walking shoes (espadrilles or sneakers would probably be best), because those streets are pebbled slippery slopes. Aside from the ton of visiteable stuff they make a type of enameled/engraved jewelry that's very popular. The food is unlikely to be the best (sorry) but it normally "lets itself be eaten".
I always wear comfy shoes - my left fibula is held together by a plate and a bunch of screws, and my ortho is consistently surprised on viewing my X-rays that I can walk halfway decently at all Sneakers are my shoe of choice for travel, if not hiking boots. I havenít been to Toledo before, which is part of the attraction. Currently chilling in a lounge chair on the hotelís very pleasant rooftop balcony, trying to stay a wake until a reasonable enough hour that we donít wake up at 3 a.m. Then, with any luck, we will wake up at a reasonable hour, have breakfast, and hop the AVE for Toledo. Maybe hit the Madrid museums during the week when people are back at work and school. (Although we did hit the Sorolla Museum first thing this morning because there were no free hotel rooms yet.)
Old 08-31-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
Work so that I can pay on the debt it took to get the job so I could work. Watch my wife get a little more sick. Die a little myself, inside, because I can't afford the insurance that could fix what the doctors did to her when I had insurance.
This is the saddest post I've read here in a long time.

Whatever the particulars, I am sorry you are dealing with such a sad, preventable situation. I will wish for a more uplifting future for you and your wife soon. My best to you both.

_____

No big plans for the weekend for me, just how I like/plan it. A friend is recovering from major surgery so I'll take a dish by to give her husband some relief from cookery as he tends to her other needs. I'll enjoy a visit with her.

The only other thing I know for sure that will happen before Tuesday is mowing. There will be mowing.

_____

Hey, enipla, I thought of you the other day when I saw this. Neighbor of yours?
Old 08-31-2019, 03:49 PM

I have a cold.

Fun.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

It's the umpteenth anniversary this weekend of my first meeting my future wife, Pepper Mill.

I took her up to Lake Winnipesaukee for a cruise on the MS Mt. Washington, followed by lunch and tours of upstate NH wineries, then dinner. We're back home now, exhausted but happy.

I'll probably spend much of the rest of the weekend cleaning, mowing the lawn, and other such fun stuff.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:16 AM

Spent my Labor Day weekend on vacation in Chicago! Funny enough, when we first started setting this up, neither the boyfriend nor I realized it'd be a holiday.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:36 AM

Let's review how I did:
-mowing the lawn
-bush hogging the pastures
-moving logs away from the fences so we can let the goats roam 2 pastures
-any necessary fence repairs to above
-trimming the hedges
-pressure washing the porch and sidewalk
-a round of golf
-a family get together, including a visit from my out-of-state son and his new girlfriend
-harvesting various varieties of peppers, tomatoes, eggplant and okra
-filling in the holes where I repaired 2 pasture hydrants

7 out of 10, not too bad considering other, unplanned chores popped up. That's life with farm animals!

Last edited by Doctor Jackson; 09-03-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I ended up mowing the lawn, trimming, cleaning up my pile of papers, cleaning up the basement a bit, cleaning the bathroom, and shredding some old documents. I also got away to a used bookstore way up north.

I barbecued dinner on Sunday, and had set up a backyard fire (MilliCal wanted to make s'mores), but MilliCal decided we should watch the last episodes of Stranger Things 3 instead, so we did, figuring on the fire on Monday. That didn't work out -- we had a deluge. If it dries out enough later this week (it's supposed to rain tomorrow, too), maybe we'll have the fire then.

Still didn't do everything I wanted, but close enough.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:53 AM

My weekend turned out a LOT better than I was expecting what with Dorian turning north early. So I was able to saw off a huge limb from my rubber tree. And then start cutting it to pieces to leave for the horticulture waste pickup. I foolishly undertook this job with just a small pruning saw and a pair of heavy duty pruning shears. So although gravity helped me cut off the main limb and the saw and shears removed all the smaller diameter parts, I am not really able to cut up the large core piece on the ground. Hopefully, my lawn care guy will have the equipment to help me get it to a disposable state.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Mine involved flying to Florida (getting up at 3:30 Saturday to drive an hour to the airport, then a 6 AM flight) - then renting a car there, picking up my in-laws, and driving them up to the DC area.

See, late the previous afternoon FIL decided that they'd better evacuate. Last time they did so, they didn't leave until the traffic was horrible; the normally 6 hour drive to Savannah, GA took 12.

And FIL is.... not all that safe behind the wheel of a car. The adult kids were all rather worried; I'm the one who proposed flying down there to drive them up. Airfare, even 12 hours before the flight, was pretty cheap because, well, nobody wanted to fly TO the hurricane zone.

The airport was a pain. I had not put my Global Entry info in when booking the flight, so I had to go through regular security (involving shoelessness etc.). Someone tried to run a stroller through the X-ray machine, shutting everything down for 10 minutes. I forgot to take my Kindle out of my purse so that got manually screened because **two devices** were seen on X-ray. My cankles were deemed a potential threat until patted down, as was my left wrist. And the TSA agent foiled my plan to commit some kind of mayhem with my too-large tube of toothpaste.

The rental car contract allowed a second driver, but only if the driver was physically present when picking up the rental. FIL was not, of course, as I got the car at the airport. He really wanted us to stop by another local office of the agency to get himself added. MIL, who has been primed by my SIL, said "No, I just want to get going!!!". FIL kept offering to help with driving despite the fact that he knew it was not permitted. (Thanks, Dad, if you wreck the car I'm sure we can dig up 35,000 to pay for it).

At least traffic was quite good - normal Saturday traffic around Jacksonville, and normal DC-area slowdowns, but otherwise it was a breeze.

Monday, by comparison, was quite relaxing.