Old 09-08-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Places you've been. . .

. . .that you are fairly certain nobody else on this board (or very few) have been.

I saw this video today about Electric Lady recording studio in Greenwich Village. For anyone unfamiliar, this is the studio that Jimmy Hendrix had designed and built shortly before his death. A couple of years ago, we were visiting NYC and spotted the place. My wife walked up to the entry and asked if it was possible to have a look inside, but the woman said no, because it's still an active studio. But the manager of the studio (who is in the video) happened to be there and heard her and said, "Hey, let them in." We got a nice tour of the place.

I'm reasonably sure that few or none of our members here have been inside. If you have, share your bragging rights.

What's your nomination?

Last edited by Chefguy; 09-08-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:11 AM

While the King was still alive, I sat on a rocking chair on the front porch at Graceland. I've got a picture somewhere in a box. Boy, do I look disappointed,...Elvis had left the building.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:24 AM

I was briefly on Woody Harrelson's hemp fueled bus.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:25 AM

Hmm...given the diversity of this board, that's pretty tough. I'll offer two possibilities:

The Basque Whaling Museum in Red Bay, Labrador. That's pretty darned out of the way.

Tacna, Arizona. A little town about 40 miles east of Yuma. Our car broke down on I-8 and we were (sorta) stuck there for about a week.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 09-08-2019, 11:23 AM
BANNED

I have no doubt that I (like most other people reading these words) have been to literally hundreds of bars, restaurants, cafes, etc., in places both small and large all over the world that no one else here has ever heard of, but that kind of seems pointless to list them given that no one else knows or cares about places like that, but, I would imagine that not many here have ever had the chance to stand front & center on the stage of San Francisco's legendary, celebrated, even hallowed Fillmore Auditorium, a spot where some of Rock & Roll's most iconic musicians have stood, from Jimi Hendrix to Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan and Jim Morrison, Chuck Berry as well as Duane Allman.

For music lovers, it is literally Sacred Space.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Hmm...given the diversity of this board, that's pretty tough. I'll offer two possibilities:

The Basque Whaling Museum in Red Bay, Labrador. That's pretty darned out of the way.

Tacna, Arizona. A little town about 40 miles east of Yuma. Our car broke down on I-8 and we were (sorta) stuck there for about a week.
Nice. The wife and I stayed at the Waldo Arms Hotel in Kaktovik, Alaska while on Barter Island to see the polar bears.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:36 AM

I've been to an oasis at the edge of the Sahara, in Tunisia.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

I have tested and inspected the CO2 fire suppression system in the generator room adjacent to the Underground War Room at SAC Headquarters, Offut AFB in Bellevue, NE. This old building and command center has since been demolished and the command center has been relocated to the new site.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:48 AM

I'll be quite surprised if anybody turns out to have been to Olite Castle, the Foz de Arbayún or the Ciudad Encantada in Cuenca. OTOH any of you who's walked the Camino Francés will have been to Eunate, pretty close to the first two.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Has anyone dug for diamonds at the diamond mine in Murfreesboro,Ark?

A famous missing person, Maud Crawford, a lawyer in Camden,,Ark. Her house is still there and is still lived in. I've been in her bedroom. It was creepy.

Poison Springs state park. Very small. A infamous Civil war battle was fought there. Not many folks know about the park.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
I have tested and inspected the CO2 fire suppression system in the generator room adjacent to the Underground War Room at SAC Headquarters, Offut AFB in Bellevue, NE. This old building and command center has since been demolished and the command center has been relocated to the new site.
I worked for a company that had a contract to do some electrical upgrades at Site R, the Raven Rock nuclear bunker in Pennsylvania. Got to walk around in the tunnels and visit the gift shop. Yes, they have a gift shop in a nuclear bunker.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:36 PM

I have paddled various remote wilderness rivers to Moose Factory on the Arctic Ocean a few times.

One of them, the Kattawagami, requires strong white water skills as well as precise ocean navigation skills, so although there likely are Dopers with one or more of the requisite skill sets, it is very unlikely that any of them would have paddled this particular route.

Some Americans tried it about forty or so years ago, but gave up and had to be helicoptered out. A quarter of a century ago a top Canadian guiding outfit tried it and ran into bad trouble on the ocean, but since then have occasionally guided experienced paddlers down it.

Every few years I get map/info requests from people who want to paddle it, and I am aware of some others who have paddled it. Most of them stop at the ocean and have a motorized freighter canoe take them to Moose Factory or Moosonee.

All in all, in post contact times, my guess is that only a few hundred people have completed that journey, so it is unlikely that any other Dopers have done so.

Here are pics (including maps) for those who may be interested.
Kattawagami River http://my.tbaytel.net/culpeper/Katta...RiverPics.html
Lower James Bay http://my.tbaytel.net/culpeper/LowerJamesBayPics.html
Old 09-08-2019, 12:54 PM

I have been under Lake Ontario -- not just under water in Lake Ontario, but actually underground under the lake itself.

I worked at Darlington Nuclear Generating Station during the design/build phase, so every week I'd take half a day and tour the site. One time a fellow drove me out to the end of the water intake tunnel after the tunnel was completed but prior to holes being drilled into it to flood it.

I guess it must run in the family, for my father has been under Lake Huron in the salt mine there.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:58 PM

On the shore of the inner node ( inside of the bend ) of 'Horsehoe Bend'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_Bend_(Arizona)

On the river banks at the "8 mile" and "9 mile" section of where the Colorado River wraps around it, as well as on the shingle or ledge above the shore.

People can be seen from the high overlook above on the outside of the bend, and inflatable tour boats can be seen plying the river going past it, but I've never seen a soul on the ground there.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

On a ferry between what was then called Leopoldville in the Republic of the Congo and Brazzaville in the Congo Republic.

The Bell System Network Control center in New Jersey. There were many pictures of it back in the day, I got to go on a tour.

An old elevator, with hand controls, back of a theater near Broadway which took us to an agent's office.

The roof of the Green Building at MIT.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:30 PM

Google Maps, Google and this thread are a match made in heaven.

I'm having a blast learning about these neat-o places that folks have been to!

Thanks, Chefguy!
Old 09-08-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post

A famous missing person, Maud Crawford, a lawyer in Camden,,Ark. Her house is still there and is still lived in. I've been in her bedroom. It was creepy.

Poison Springs state park. Very small. A infamous Civil war battle was fought there. Not many folks know about the park.
To view the Maud Crawford house, google 430 Cifton Ave. Camden ,Ar 71701
Old 09-08-2019, 02:24 PM
BANNED

I can't be the only one here who has been to Westerplatte, (Gadansk, Poland) where 80 years and one week ago tonight Nazi Germany attacked Poland and thus began WWII...?

As you might expect, it is a pretty sobering place, considering the ultimate impact that war has had on the history of humankind, which still reverberates today.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
On the shore of the inner node ( inside of the bend ) of 'Horsehoe Bend'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_Bend_(Arizona)

On the river banks at the "8 mile" and "9 mile" section of where the Colorado River wraps around it, as well as on the shingle or ledge above the shore.

People can be seen from the high overlook above on the outside of the bend, and inflatable tour boats can be seen plying the river going past it, but I've never seen a soul on the ground there.
Cool place! I've been to Page, but missed out on that particular view. We did the guided tour of Upper Antelope Canyon while there.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:47 PM

Let's try a simple one. Big Lookout Mountain. A 7,000 foot peak most notable for its local prominence and view. In E. Oregon between I-84 and the Snake River canyon. Plus nearby "out of the way"* places like Connor Creek Canyon. Dropping down from the mountain to the Snake is a lot of downhill in a short distance on 4-wheelers.

I've been to so many remote places in the region that the difficulty of not having names or anything becomes a problem. Best one could do is describe something as so many miles east of someplace (that's really obscure) or good old lat. and long.

* To say the least.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I've been on the set of a Star Trek TV series (specifically, the Star Trek: Voyager set). I stood on the transporter platform, and sat in Captain Janeway's chair on the bridge.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:22 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I've spent a lot of my life in working in remote places. I've been to a lot of places that very few outsiders at all have ever been to.

A few of them.

Panama. I've been to every place in Panama you can get to, plus a lot of places you can't. I led the first scientific expedition to the Serrania de Jingurudo in Darien in 1997. We had 7 party members, plus 24 Embera guides and porters from the last village on the Sambu River. We were in there for 3 weeks. The last camp was so far in that the Indians told me even they had never been there before, and had to decide what they were going to call it.

I've been to a lot of other remote areas in the Darien and elsewhere. One of the most interesting was the site of New Edinburgh, the lost Scottish colony on the Caribbean coast. It took 8 hours by boat to get there. I've also visited every single island on the Pacific coast for seabird surveys.

New Zealand. I worked with the New Zealand Wildlife Service for three years, working on various remote islands and also in high valleys in the Southern Alps like the Transit and Tutuko that you had to chopper in to.

Peru. I did biological surveys at several oil camps on the lower Urubamba River in Amazonia that could only be reached by helicopter.

Gabon. I did other surveys in Gabon where we camped for three or four weeks in Petit Loango and Monts Doudou National Parks.

Democratic Republic of the Congo (then Zaire). I visited the Okapi research center in Epulu in the eastern part of the rainforest, where I went out net-hunting with 20 pygmies to catch forest antelope to radio-collar.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:34 PM

The former palace of the last Shah of Iran, in northern Tehran (now a museum).

The Shah fled with his family in 1979. His family's private rooms have been preserved essentially as they were since then, with 1970s furnishings, children's books, model airplanes, and stuffed animals, mostly imported from the West.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Oh, all those places sound magnificent. My pitiable contribution is not worth talking about.
I do know one place no other Doper has been to. Positively, I'm the only one. On a lonely gravel road in SW Arkansas, floating on a john boat in the 'beckdawrek pond.' Laying on my back watching the clouds meandering by.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I've spent a lot of my life in working in remote places. I've been to a lot of places that very few outsiders at all have ever been to.

A few of them.

Panama. I've been to every place in Panama you can get to, plus a lot of places you can't. I led the first scientific expedition to the Serrania de Jingurudo in Darien in 1997. We had 7 party members, plus 24 Embera guides and porters from the last village on the Sambu River. We were in there for 3 weeks. The last camp was so far in that the Indians told me even they had never been there before, and had to decide what they were going to call it.

I've been to a lot of other remote areas in the Darien and elsewhere. One of the most interesting was the site of New Edinburgh, the lost Scottish colony on the Caribbean coast. It took 8 hours by boat to get there. I've also visited every single island on the Pacific coast for seabird surveys.

New Zealand. I worked with the New Zealand Wildlife Service for three years, working on various remote islands and also in high valleys in the Southern Alps like the Transit and Tutuko that you had to chopper in to.

Peru. I did biological surveys at several oil camps on the lower Urubamba River in Amazonia that could only be reached by helicopter.

Gabon. I did other surveys in Gabon where we camped for three or four weeks in Petit Loango and Monts Doudou National Parks.

Democratic Republic of the Congo (then Zaire). I visited the Okapi research center in Epulu in the eastern part of the rainforest, where I went out net-hunting with 20 pygmies to catch forest antelope to radio-collar.
I figured you might chime in here. Very interesting places your work has taken you. I've been to places in Alaska where I am absolutely positive nobody here has been to: Cape Romanzof, Cape Newenham, Tin City, Indian Mountain and a few other places that are restricted to the people who work at the radar sites there, and perhaps the few Native folks who happen to wander in.

In other parts of the world, I've been to the Bandiagara Escarpment in Mali and climbed up to the old cave dwellings there. I've been to Victoria Falls, which I suspect some Dopers may have visited, and attempted to go gorilla trekking at Bwindi Impenetrable Forest on the border with Congo. Also went to the park near the Rwenzori Mountains of the Moon, where it was once thought the Nile began. I boated (and capsized) on Lake Victoria, and I visited the site of Carthage in Tunisia.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:55 PM

I've toured the Montréal area control centre (flight control for the FIR -- not an airport tower) in Dorval. We knew a guy who had just retired from there.

Oh, and I've lifted weights at Gold's Gym in Venice. Light weights.

Last edited by Heracles; 09-08-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:00 PM

San Marino. While there certainly may be more who have been, I find little evidence on search. Two people listed it in the 2003 thread So How Many States/Countries Have YOU Visited?, also started by Chefguy.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:02 PM

Srebrenik Fortress in Bosnia and Herzogovina. Its Bosnia's best preserved medieval fortification.

Middle Bass Island in Lake Erie. It's to the north of the more commonly visited South Bass and its draw of Put In Bay.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Cool place! I've been to Page, but missed out on that particular view. We did the guided tour of Upper Antelope Canyon while there.
Wow! Next time I'm out that way, that's a must visit.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:13 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I swam into the ice caves of Pictured Rock National Lakeshore with my daughter. Not kayaked or canoed, or jetskied, but swam to them, thanks to unusually warm water and ambition. We took off from the nearby beach and hugged the cliff until we got there and had an amazing time. I know we're not the only ones who swam there but there's probably not many of us.

https://www.nps.gov/piro/index.htm

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 09-08-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:24 PM

I skied Mt. Chacaltaya, the World's Highest Permanently Established Ski Area (or was. Glacier has melted and no more skiing).

https://snowbrains.com/the-worlds-hi...omment-1787218

Just under 18000 feet in altitude.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:33 PM

My parent's home towns are so small I'd be practically naming myself if I posted them. If any of y'all had been there, I would know about it. ;-)

How about the peak of Mt. Washington, NH? I went via the cog railway, but my Dad and Uncle climbed it.

Lorton Federal Penitentiary? My church group used to sing there at Christmas time. Now it's an artist's collective.

There used to be this really cool medical museum out behind Walter Reed Army Hospital. It had the bullet that killed Abraham Lincoln, and the instruments used to try and remove it from his skull.

Cheat River Canyon, WV - many people have been rafting in the flat water of the upper Cheat, but not too many have run the Canyon.There are two IV+ holes called the Recyclotron and the Particle Accelerator, one right on top of the other. A great ride but it's best while the water is still freezing cold in early April.

I accidentally-on-purpose skied down the banks of a creek between two runs at Arapahoe Basin, CO. I'm betting there were spots there that no other foot (or ski) had ever fallen.

Quite a few lesser caves in the vicinity of Luray, Virginia, which may or may not have been on private land we shouldn't have been crossing. . .

Jeez, when did I become such a couch potato?

Last edited by TruCelt; 09-08-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Looked for diamonds several times but never found one.

Last edited by Ynnad; 09-08-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:56 PM

Has anyone ever been to St. Jacob's Well, a sinkhole in Clark County, Kansas?
Old 09-08-2019, 05:09 PM

I performed at the Music Center in LA.

I have visited the 4-corners monument, where a person could (and did) run around the center and visit 4 US states in a matter of seconds.

I camped at Devils Tower in Wyoming. The night sky was amazing, and the formation juts upward in the middle of a flat. At night, the views are magical.

I worked "crowd control" at Universal Studios Hollywood as my summer job in high school and college. I saw quite a lot (heh) of the backlots and of filming. I met quite a few celebrities, and ended up dating a stuntman for awhile.

I volunteered in a Junior Zookeeper program while in High School. It was amazing. The Zoo spent a lot of time teaching us about exotic animals, and we got to work with keepers on their string. Candidly, that usually meant we got the shit work (literally). I've scooped a lot of dung. I also got to do some really amazing things: I bottle fed pronghorns, I worked with injured owls, I learned how to handle non-venomous snakes, and I took the mini-horses from the petting zoo on jogs around the outer road of the zoo. There was a lion incident, but that's a different story.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:10 PM

I've been in the apartment building that John Dillinger lived in after he escaped from prison.

https://www.twincities.com/2016/03/3...ment-building/

My daughter has an apartment there.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I worked for a company that had a contract to do some electrical upgrades at Site R, the Raven Rock nuclear bunker in Pennsylvania. Got to walk around in the tunnels and visit the gift shop. Yes, they have a gift shop in a nuclear bunker.
No gift shop in the SAC underground; just a lot of guards with guns.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnad View Post
Looked for diamonds several times but never found one.
Friend of mine found apprx1/4 carat brown diamond. Now known as Chocolate diamonds. Not very valuable.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:38 PM

I've been inside a MMIII missile silo.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Shoalwater in Queensland, Australia.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Antelope Canyon
Been there. Quite an experience, especially if you're a photographer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Four Corners Monument
Been there too. Somewhere I have a photo of me standing in all four states.

I also have a photo of me at the Greenwich Observatory, with one foot in each hemisphere.

I've also been to Èze, the medieval village high on a mountain top in the French Riviera. Stunning views of the Mediterranean.

Anyone else been in the Hundertwasserhaus in Vienna?
Old 09-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

On top of the Pyramid of Queen Henutsen in Giza.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
I've been in the apartment building that John Dillinger lived in after he escaped from prison.
I partied in the hotel room Jim Morrison lived in off Sunset Blvd. Lots of people have been there, but many might not have known.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:17 PM

I have been in my kitchen and none of you have so nyahh, nyahh, nyahh.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:36 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I have been in my kitchen and none of you have so nyahh, nyahh, nyahh.
Or, maybe, that's what we want you to think.

*hands wolfman a sandwich*
Old 09-08-2019, 06:48 PM

I would guess few other dopers, if any, have been:

to Winnekenni Castle
to the Woodman Museum
to the International Cryptozoology Museum
Old 09-08-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

The Tower Records in Tachikawa, Japan. I've been to many record stores in my life, and this one is still my favorite. I can't remember the names of these next places, but while in Sicily I went to an abbey that had catacombs with the bones of hundreds of past monks mummified and laid to rest on shelves inside. Also, there was a restaurant built into a cliff, right out of the rock, that was particularly excellent.

The pyroclastic flow from Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines. As well as watching repatriated remains of US Soldiers come across the DMZ at Camp Bonifas.

The only Irish pub in South Korea at the Time, O'Kim's at the top of the Westin Chosun hotel in Seoul, though now I believe its a chain throughout the peninsula,
Old 09-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Inside the reactor compartment of a U.S. Navy nuclear power plant.

...while it was shut down, of course.

(The reactor compartment is the portion of the power plant that is within the secondary shield, and contains the shielded reactor vessel itself. While at power, this area is strictly off limits and sealed.
The hatch looks like a gigantic lead cork, and the viewing windows are a deep amber color from the thickness and special stuff in the glass.)

My specialty was referred to as an ELT (Engineering Laboratory Technician) and we were responsible for the plant chemistry and radiation safety. As part of the second aspect, we were the ones who set up the control point through which folks accessed the reactor compartment during shutdown.

There are other Navy nukes on this board, and they surely visited the reactor compartment at least once during their qualifications.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

On a FDNY fire boat. I was a Boy Scout from Putnam County and the troop was down in the city for sightseeing; the boat crew gave us a tour while moored.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:39 PM
born to be shunned

French Azilum -- and multiple visits there.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/french-azilum

Not only have I been to Trundle Manor but I know the owners
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/trundle-manor

And while it is no longer there I worked at Hanson's Amusement Park at Harvey's Lake PA. That may be a unique-to-me as well although using something gone before most of you were born ........... feels cheap. Now get off my lawn before I shake my cane at you again.