Old 09-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Dragging bandwagons into the SDMB

I have noticed a recent trend of certain kinds of issues being dismissed as "bandwagons," particularly ones associated with women's experiences in society. I put this in the Pit instead of in Great Debates, because it seems that at least one regular poster here has started using "bandwagon" as a response specifically to some of my posts.

I am dismayed by this tactic. It seems dismissive in a way that doesn't seem necessary in context, particular from the poster in question. And if this poster has a particular problem with me, I want to offer an opportunity to get that off es chest and, I hope, put an end to the "bandwagon" comments elsewhere.

Examples (not all of them about me):

In a thread about Margaret Atwood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The book is not about feminism, except as a marketing tool. Atwood described it as "a study of power, and how it operates and how it deforms or shapes the people who are living within that kind of regime". The only reason it is pegged to feminism is because Atwood had the savvy to jump on the feminist bandwagon, which in the 1980s was sprialing up to a shrill crescendo. Exactly at a time when people were re-reading "1984" and discovering that it was about America, not the USSR. Plus she had the cachet of a woman-writer, with a willing and ready readership in place.. All the ingredients of literary success.
In a thread about Louis C.K. and Aziz Ansari:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
The OP has never seen a bandwagon he did not jump onto yelling “Here I am”.
Stands to reason he’ll get a few dodgy ones.
In a thread about a warning issued in a thread about women's bodies and attractiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray
Responses like this are exactly what are making the internet a hostile place for women in particular—if you can't handle it then leave or stay in your walled garden. It is driving women offline, and essentially silencing a range of voices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84
Tell me, is there a trendy bandwagon you haven't jumped upon in the last 5 years blaring "I'm here" through a megaphone.

If you cannot differentiate between what passes for intense debate on this forum and some of the tricks pulled by trolls and their actual criminal misconduct then I cannot help.
In a thread about representation of women among Golden Globes nominees:

Quote:
Natalie Portman has been trying to jump on the bandwagon for months. Classless person.
In a discussion arising in a thread about the recent Tarantino film about movies commonly employing violence as the solution to conflict:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
This says something about you and the society you live in. Why is violent retribution the type of resolution that is so obviously the most entertaining to you?
Quote:
Since, some people really have it coming,
The characters in the film, especially.
Don’t have to jump on every bandwagon.
In a thread about Brock Turner, a side discussion about whether whether informal usage of the term "rape" is appropriate:

Quote:
He was not convicted of rape for fuck's sake.
Quote:
This is a meaningless nitpick. It's felony sexual assault. That along with the actual description of what he did is legitimately described as rape in casual conversation, even if that's not what the formal criminal charge is titled.

I don't know why you use that tone of exasperation. It's not like what he did or what he was charged with is significantly less reprehensible than what "rape" signifies in your mind, whether defined by law or not.

He is an actual rapist, for fuck's sake.
Quote:
Its not a nitpick when the question being discussed is the propriety of a judicial ruling which is what you do in your post. It was not about "casual conversation". And the fact that you insist upon using it (besides once again displaying your proclivity for jumping onto every trendy bandwagon, leaving your otherwise considerable sense behind) means that you are not discussing the issue in its proper context.

Also, rape (which he was not convicted for) is absolutely more reprehensible than assault; same way causing Grievous Bodily Harm is more reprehensible than simple battery despite both being very properly crimes, with the attendant differences in sanctions.
In a recent thread about allegations against Kavanaugh:

Quote:
Some guys pushed his penis into some lady’s face and.....that’s on him?
Quote:
This is a whoosh, right?
Quote:
I was wondering when you’d show up on the bandwagon!

My point is this: Even if you think I (or someone else) is wrong about something, this "bandwagon" thing is nothing more than a personal insult of some kind. It's not an argument. It's not valid reasoning. It's childish and demeaning.

If one might make a polite request in the Pit, I would venture to request replacing such responses with something rational and befitting a conversation between two people with comparable intelligence and sincere intent.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

It also seems like a damned if you don't and damned if you do dilemma.

"Hey, you said something that isn't being said by a bunch of other people! We can therefore dismiss you as a standalone nutball, go read what these other people said on the issue, you've obviously got it wrong!"

"Hey, you said something that's being said by a bunch of other people! We can therefore dismiss you as a mindless sheep who jumped on the bandwagon. You aren't thinking for yourself, you're just saying stuff you heard someone else say!"
Old 09-16-2019, 02:12 PM

Sounds like the new way to say SJW, or some similar nonsense. It's just a lazy and dumb way for someone to dismiss an argument they don't want to deal with.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Actually I've been seeing it for a decade if not more. You could say people today are jumping on the bandwagon bandwagon.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:36 PM

"Jumping on the bandwagon" is an expression I've heard all my life. And I'm OLD. It's probably 100 years old easily. When was the last decade that you saw a bandwagon???

It's not new. It's just something that one poster likes to use. Maybe it's new to him?
Old 09-17-2019, 01:36 AM

It's a dismissive ad hominem the way it's being used there - the implication being that you don't really care about women's issues, you're just going along with it for attention. It's an accusation of deception, verging on an accusation of lying, IMO.

At least it's not "groupthink"
Old 09-17-2019, 01:56 AM

You're not having a "bandwagon" issue. It's a troll issue.

All of the quoted trolls feature in my ignore list.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:10 AM

If you tell him the earth is round he'll "expose" you for jumping on that bandwagon, too, I'm sure. He's clearly just not the sharpest tool in the box.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:25 AM

Ahhh, my first pitting. Took 11 years. Man I wish it had been done by less of a dumbass.....
Who'd actually had sufficient brain cells to write a more decscriptive thread title.

And looking up the threads, they are all spread over a few years. I must say that is obsessive.

Last edited by AK84; 09-17-2019 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
It's a dismissive ad hominem the way it's being used there - the implication being that you don't really care about women's issues, you're just going along with it for attention. It's an accusation of deception, verging on an accusation of lying, IMO.

At least it's not "groupthink"
Yeah, I mean his shtick is bandwagon and yours is going crying to the mods because someone hurt your feelings.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:41 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Ahhh, my first pitting. Took 11 years. Man I wish it had been done by less of a dumbass.....
Who'd actually had sufficient brain cells to write a more decscriptive thread title.

And looking up the threads, they are all spread over a few years. I must say that is obsessive.

Obsessive would apply had he been tracking you from the get-go without the nifty search function the board has.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I mean his shtick is bandwagon and yours is going crying to the mods because someone hurt your feelings.
Aaw, someone's still butthurt about their well-deserved warning.

That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

And that was from early last year. So you're a fine one to chide anyone about "obsessive", motherfucker. Not that using the search function (doubtless what Acsenray did) would be obsessive in the first place.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:19 AM

Calling nearwildheaven...there’s lots of room over here!
Old 09-17-2019, 05:10 AM

One of the more peculiarly ignorant and asinine quotes in OP doesn't contain the word 'bandwagon':

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84
Some guys pushed his penis into some lady’s face and.....that’s on him?
Quote:
Ahhh, my first pitting. Took 11 years.
Uh ... I've got news for you, AK84. Life is too short to Pit every imbecile. The username 'AK84' conjures up vague images of pomposity, but otherwise your opinions have been too lackluster or content-free for any lasting memory. Take that as compliment or insult, up to you.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
One of the more peculiarly ignorant and asinine quotes in OP doesn't contain the word 'bandwagon':
Right: it was the first exchange in an exchange that ended with that nasty little martinet AK84 using Bandwagon yet again.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post

Uh ... I've got news for you, AK84. Life is too short to Pit every imbecile. The username 'AK84' conjures up vague images of pomposity, but otherwise your opinions have been too lackluster or content-free for any lasting memory. Take that as compliment or insult, up to you.
Yeah,seeing as you are a white dude living in Thailand, I am obviously not the cohort you are looking for to make (amongst other things) "impressions" on you.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:07 AM

Oh, did someone open the Asian stereotype door...?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:39 AM

Don't remember much about AK84 except GOP party line idiocy about Brett Kavanaugh.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Putting our disagreements aside, the key goal here is to continue to provide AK84 with a safe space to work out his mommy issues. It's been over eleven years, so I'm confident there's a breakthrough coming any day now.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Don't remember much about AK84 except GOP party line idiocy about Brett Kavanaugh.
AK84 is Pakistani so he doesn't really have any reason to toe the GOP party line. But he also has a weird hangup about gender equality and how it can't possibly be something Actual Human Beings want.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Ascenray, it's the typical argument of people with a lot of vitriol and no valid argument. View it as an admission of such and ignore it.