Old 01-04-2019, 01:42 PM

Thread for watching GOPers stand up for crime

Russia is alleged by all of our intelligence agencies to have interfered in our elections, a foreign adversary striking a blow at the heart of our Democratic system. The GOP response? Don't get too curious. Let's investigate the FBI for bias for daring to look into it.

About that- the firing of James Comey was the impetus for the Mueller investigation, because firing the guy investigating Russian interference while the POTUS is suspected of cooperating with said interference was a case of possible obstruction of justice. GOP response? Put Comey on trial.

Trump tweeted a thousand times his displeasure with Jeff Sessions recusing himself from the Russia investigation (after demanding loyalty from the former head of the FBI and asking him to cover up the Flynn allegations, a guy who was taking bribes from Turkey in exchange for policy concessions, not to mention lying about his contacts with Russia) eventually firing him and replacing him with a not-Senate-confirmed large wiener accommodating toilet salesman who has been openly critical of the Mueller investigation. Probably a double act of obstruction of justice, getting rid of the guy who won't end the investigation and replacing him with somebody who maybe will. Legislation is demanded to protect the investigation to allow justice to run its course. GOP reaction? Naaaahh, it'll be fine, no worries.

Now, with Trump threatening to keep the government shut down for years because our 240+ year old democratic system won't provide him with the green light to build his monument to hatred of Mexico, a country that is one of our biggest trading partners and which should be our closest ally, the GOP's response is to not allow the possibility of breaking the impasse with a veto-overriding compromise because they won't allow Senate votes on the matter at all. No democracy for you, America!

As the GOP becomes ever more clearly an anti-democratic criminal organization headed by a Russian asset determined to sabotage our country, either by destroying our alliances, wrecking our foreign markets with tariffs, dividing our population with rampant lies, destroying our budget with debt, shutting down the government and stoking hatred with our neighbors, all while the POTUS openly profits from his office, again without sparking the curiosity of his GOP comrades, I thought it would be appropriate to launch a thread documenting GOP figures who stand up and defend crimes and/or anti-democratic authoritarianism. Here it is.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
, I thought it would be appropriate to launch a thread documenting GOP figures who stand up and defend crimes and/or anti-democratic authoritarianism. Here it is.
Oops. mis-read thread.
old age strikes.

Last edited by running coach; 01-04-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:00 PM

The GOP is quite effectively a crime syndicate at this point. That's about it, really.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) on Monday dismissed federal charges implicating President Trump in crimes committed by his former lawyer, saying that he doesn't care about the argument made in a court filing by the Southern District of New York because Trump is a good president."I don't care, all I can say is he's doing a good job as president," Hatch said in an interview with CNN, before adding that he's not bothered by the filing because he doesn't think Trump was involved in crimes.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...-broke-the-law
Old 01-04-2019, 02:32 PM

The Republican-run Senate functions like the Roman Senate.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
The Republican-run Senate functions like the Roman Senate.
So when Trump is on the ground, bleeding from 23 stab wounds inflicted by senators, and mutters, "You, too, ____", whose name will fill in the blank?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

... Rafael? Like father, like son, I see...." (expires)

<SCENE>

Last edited by JohnT; 01-04-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
So when Trump is on the ground, bleeding from 23 stab wounds inflicted by senators, and mutters, "You, too, ____", whose name will fill in the blank?
Booker?

Bernie?

Barrasso?
Old 01-04-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Trump calls a cold-blooded murderer a hero.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...217-story.html
Old 01-04-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Booker?

Bernie?

Barrasso?
No, needs to be an ostensible ally. Caesar wasn't surprised that Cassius stabbed him, just his good friend Brutus.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
No, needs to be an ostensible ally. Caesar wasn't surprised that Cassius stabbed him, just his good friend Brutus.
"And you, uh.. it's Eric, right?"
Old 01-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Booker?

Bernie?

Barrasso?
Bueller? Bueller?
Old 01-04-2019, 06:28 PM

You too, Ivanka?
Old 01-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMalt View Post
"And you, uh.. it's Eric, right?"
[heavy, rasping breathing] "Eric, I am your father."[/heavy, rasping breathing]

"I KNOOOOOOOW!!!!!!" *resumes stabbing*
Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post

Okay, we have the thread winner here.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Best assassination in history.

Ok, this quote is from the elections forum in a discussion of breaking the impasse by removing McConnell as majority leader:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Of course, the chances of that happening are less than nil. As flurb noted, McConnell is providing cover for the slime. Plus, the longer this clusterfuck goes on, the longer it is before the House lands on trump like a pile of neutronium.
If any part of the intent of the shutdown is to retard the progress of the House, and Senate GOPers know this, isn't that obstruction of justice? Wouldn't the entire GOP Senate caucus be participating in it?
Old 01-05-2019, 11:55 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Quote:

Ok, this quote is from the elections forum in a discussion of breaking the impasse by removing McConnell as majority leader:

If any part of the intent of the shutdown is to retard the progress of the House, and Senate GOPers know this, isn't that obstruction of justice? Wouldn't the entire GOP Senate caucus be participating in it?
Obstruction of justice is interference with a criminal investigation. Obstructing the political process is not the same as obstruction of justice.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
No reason for the shutdown to prevent the House from doing investigating. They can pass a CR every morning before 9, and hold committee hearings the rest of the day.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
When he was up on the shuttle, they should have pushed him out of the airlock.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Bill Nelson (D-FL) (when in the House) and Jake Garn (R Sen-Utah) rode on shuttle flights, not Hatch.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:48 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:

Heavy breathing? Have you not heard the idiot's voice? More like a high-pitched whining, maybe 4 or 5 octaves above Darth's.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:11 PM

While I have near zero interest in the whole Mueller-Russians-Comey saga (until someone important actually gets indicted and/or impeached), it has been amusing to see the role reversal in this situation.

We've had Republicans consistently dismissing or glossing over the possibility of serious crimes having been committed on the grounds of abuses/bad motives on the part of investigators, while Democrats ignore prosecutorial misbehavior and insist that punishing crime is all that really matters.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Bill Nelson (D-FL) (when in the House) and Jake Garn (R Sen-Utah) rode on shuttle flights, not Hatch.
Oops.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
When he was up on the shuttle, they should have pushed him out of the airlock.
Yes. Hell yes.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Book him a flight, and then "space" him.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Book him a flight, and then "space" him.
You mean throw him out the hatch? Isn't that recursive?
Old 01-07-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:

He's been trying to obstruct ALL ALONG.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
While I have near zero interest in the whole Mueller-Russians-Comey saga (until someone important actually gets indicted and/or impeached), it has been amusing to see the role reversal in this situation.

We've had Republicans consistently dismissing or glossing over the possibility of serious crimes having been committed on the grounds of abuses/bad motives on the part of investigators, while Democrats ignore prosecutorial misbehavior and insist that punishing crime is all that really matters.
And a li'l bit of both sider bullshit from "that guy who we keep locked up in the attic and don't talk about".
Old 01-07-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
You mean throw him out the hatch? Isn't that recursive?
Yes. Hatch out the hatch
Old 01-07-2019, 07:34 AM

“All” of the intelligence agencies? No.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:04 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Heavy breathing? Have you not heard the idiot's voice? More like a high-pitched whining, maybe 4 or 5 octaves above Darth's.
See what you sound like with that mask on. You can't breathe in the damned thing!
Old 01-07-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
While I have near zero interest in the whole Mueller-Russians-Comey saga (until someone important actually gets indicted and/or impeached), it has been amusing to see the role reversal in this situation...
You don’t consider the National Security Advisor to be an important position? If so, you’re profoundly ignorant.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Democrats ignore prosecutorial misbehavior and insist that punishing crime is all that really matters.
Can you say more about what you're getting at here? It sounds like you are talking about the allegations of bias at the FBI, which was investigated by House Republicans, who concluded their investigation and submitted their report, which was a whopping 6 pages long and points out that some agents sent some mean texts about Trump. And that was it. I'll be gol-durned if I can find a link to the report from my phone though, hopefully someone else will confirm or disprove what I am saying here, which is that these allegations were pretty much spun like cotton candy to give Fox something to talk about, without there ever being any substance to it. A show hearing, like the 7 Benghazi nothing burger hearings.

It Looks like both-siderism you're engaging in here. I just want to say that I am an independent and not committed to any one party or ideology, but considering what the GOP has become, I consider the Dems the only game in town for a kinda sorta educated person like me. But I am not a partisan cheerleader and tire of the false equivalency obfuscations.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Here's the letter. Not even a "report", but a "letter".
Old 01-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Cite for the "Democrats ignore prosecutorial misbehavior"?

And... Trump's longtime personal bagman and the campaign chairman and the N-fucking-SA are NOT "someone important"? Nor the 33 other indictees including some top aides to the top crooks?? Hey, Jackmannii — There's smoke blowing out of your fart-hole; I can smell it from here.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
“All” of the intelligence agencies? No.
I thought it was unanimous. If you can provide a counter-example, I will happily stand corrected.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:26 PM

Criminal Congressman (but I repeat myself) Duncan Hunter calls for Trump to pardon Navy Seal accused of murder.
https://nypost.com/2019/01/04/gop-co...l-murder-case/
Old 01-18-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I thought it was unanimous. If you can provide a counter-example, I will happily stand corrected.
And the rest was crickets.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:53 PM

I thought I'd give this one a bump. I have a feeling that, if we squint, we might be able to spot a few examples in the coming weeks.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Mitch McConnell on Trump’s Extortion/Ukraine/Biden/help getting his fat ass re-elected SNAFU: “The Democrats are POLITICIZING this!”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump...b0938b5932e6d2
Old 09-24-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Mitch McConnell on Trump’s Extortion/Ukraine/Biden/help getting his fat ass re-elected SNAFU: “The Democrats are POLITICIZING this!”

Moscow Mitch, of course, NEVER politicizes anything. Ever.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:02 AM

And leaning on a foreign government to smear your political opponent is not politicizing it.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

It's encouraging to see that he's already at the last bubble on the spin flow chart, having skipped past "it never happened," "it happened but it's no big deal," and "OK it's a big deal but whatabout ————."
Old 09-24-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:

It's the safest bet in town. Whatever they accuse their opposition of, it's what they themselves are doing.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Wouldn't it be fun to see what Republicans do if Sanders or Warren publicly offer to reduce sanctions against Russia in exchange for information about Trump's crimes.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I really wish (but don't have much hope) that the Democrats will make it absolutely crystal clear that they will follow this up, and that ANYone at all who covers up, hides evidence or otherwise obstructs the legal process will have the full weight of the law fall down upon them.

Moscow Mitch needs to be very, very aware that if he takes steps to obstruct or hide evidence, that he will be going to prison for a long time. No more simply watching criminals protect the big boss in the Whitehouse.

Their choice is: Full cooperation with the law NOW, or no consideration going forward. No pardons, no cushy retirement, just consequences for actions.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:05 PM

I see your post is full of confidence on a number of items.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:07 PM

Liberals are warmongers!
Old 09-24-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Moscow Mitch needs to be very, very aware that if he takes steps to obstruct or hide evidence, that he will be going to prison for a long time. No more simply watching criminals protect the big boss in the Whitehouse.

Their choice is: Full cooperation with the law NOW, or no consideration going forward. No pardons, no cushy retirement, just consequences for actions.
The way Moscow Mitch looks, I don't think a long sentence is possible. Ten years might be a life term for him.

I want the whole lot investigated, indicted, convicted, and taken off the streets. Moscow Mitch, Willie the Weasel Barr, Mike Half-Pence, and everyone in Don The Con's family with the exception of Barron.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I see your post is full of confidence on a number of items.
In case you were referring to my post, I note that it started with:

"I really wish (but don't have much hope)"

So not much confidence that the right things will be done, or that the guilty will face justice. Sadly.