Old 01-12-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Hey Hubert: you going to answer why you’re comfortable attacking people on the Internet with vile names but are too big of a sissy to gently confront someone in real life where it might actually do some good even if there’s a risk of offending them?

Or are you just a poser windbag blowhard Internet tough guy who doesn’t believe in his cause enough to actually take risks for it?
Considering black guys get shot by the police for entering their own apartment or reaching for their own wallet...I think he gets a pass.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Thanks for your polite response. Two questions. First, do you feel that the teller of the joke and/or the people who laughed at the joke thought it was wise of the white man to hide the rings value to prevent it from being stolen, or thought it was funny because it illustrated the negative stereotypes that blacks had to deal with (ie the butt of the joke was the racist white guy). 2) if one of the white people had spoken up and said, "come on guys, racism is a serious issue that blacks have to deal with on a daily basis and not something to make joke about". Would you consider that that person might be an ally in the fight against racism, or is the fact that they are white, and so don't have complete insight in to what it means to be a black, mean that they are by necessity an evil oppressor.
Well, your questions get into intention versus impact. I will answer your questions, but I know this well-worn path well. For white folks, racism is coupled with the idea that the racist person is intentional and is deliberately inflicting harm by his or her actions. So, for example, a white person would consider running over a black man with a pickup truck and referring to his dead body as "some nigger" on social media, as racism. But would not consider the firing of the meteorologist who accidentally referred to Martin Luther King as Martin Luther Coon King as racism. The societal structures of white supremacy force people of color to always gauge whether a white person is being intentional or unintentional in their racism. The idea is that people of color are not allowed to be upset about unintentional acts of racism, we can be upset (anger and outrage are not allowed) when it is an intentional act of racism. Even I fell into the trap and thought "we're probably the only people of color this dude has ever broken bread with and he don't know how to act". But the problem is that this diminishes the impact of intentional and unintentional racism on people of color. People of color report higher levels of chronic stress which increases the risk of depression, diabetes, heart disease, and infant mortality. These actions lead to conditions that bring us all down with increased healthcare costs and decreased GDP output. Solving “the problem of the color line" benefits us all.

With that aside, let me answer your questions:

1. I think the people there thought it was wise for the guy to hide the value of the ring.
2. Yes, but this only happened once in my life. I'd be shocked if it ever happened again. I think those moments are once in a lifetime events (but could be wrong). Would be an interesting polling question for other people of color.

Regarding your other comment about white folks and being an oppressor. White folks are not the oppressor but they do insist on being the antagonist. Does that make sense?

Let me give you an example. If you ask what white folk want, they will say something like building a wall, cutting welfare, removing affirmative action, getting rid of abortion, freedom (which is white folk speak for "unfettered access to ammunition and firearms"), limited regulation (which is white speak for "don't spend my tax money on people of color"), etc. From my vantage point, the common theme that underlies white folk's happiness is hinged on inflicting humiliation and misery on people of color. That's the platform that over 50% of them support. In contrast, if you ask people of color what they want, they will tell you "Justice, Jobs, and Peace". No person of color campaigns on the platform of wanting to humiliate or cause misery to white folks. This paints an uncomfortable picture where white folks appear to not be concerned about a predictable set of issues but concerned about issues that effect other ethnic groups. It's antagonism for the sake of antagonism. For example, I don't believe white folks are opposed to universal healthcare because it's a bad idea. I think white folks are opposed to healthcare because they'd rather die a thousand deaths than to have any of their tax dollars be used to provide healthcare for one person of color.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post

Let me give you an example. If you ask what white folk want, they will say something like building a wall, cutting welfare, removing affirmative action, getting rid of abortion, freedom (which is white folk speak for "unfettered access to ammunition and firearms"), limited regulation (which is white speak for "don't spend my tax money on people of color"), etc.
You assume all white people want those things, which is absolute fucking bullshit.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
You assume all white people want those things, which is absolute fucking bullshit.
Yeah, it's only about half of white folks.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 AM

I guess its a question of tactics.

I can understand the necessary outrage, that makes a black person attend a protest shouting "Fuck White people! Fuck the Police!"

But if a white person is standing next to them shouting "Fuck Racism! Black lives matter!" its not particularly helpful for that black person to turn to them and shout "No! Fuck you! You racist Motherfucker!"
Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman
For example, I don't believe white folks are opposed to universal healthcare because it's a bad idea. I think white folks are opposed to healthcare because they'd rather die a thousand deaths than to have any of their tax dollars be used to provide healthcare for one person of color.
You really are dumb as a fucking brick, aren’t you?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman
Black man: <glances down> Hey! Nice ring! Where did you get it from?
White man: Oh this? It's a fake.

The punchline of his joke/story was that he deliberately lied to the black guy because he was afraid the black man could rob him of his wedding band after his shift.
Lol, no way that happened. No man is going compliment another on his frigging wedding band let alone ask where the other guy bought it.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I guess its a question of tactics.

I can understand the necessary outrage, that makes a black person attend a protest shouting "Fuck White people! Fuck the Police!"

But if a white person is standing next to them shouting "Fuck Racism! Black lives matter!" its not particularly helpful for that black person to turn to them and shout "No! Fuck you! You racist Motherfucker!"
That made me laugh, not only was it just most brilliant, but a succint way of how to sum it all up. Well done.

It would have been nice just to end the thread there, but since it didn't, and I've read through the rest of this crazy thing, as well as reading critical reviews of this woman's book that inspired Huey, this Robin DiAngelo, I've learned a bit more about her and her book which has gave us some of these new accusatory and inflamatory words and phrases to use on white people that are generally seen as liberal or progressive, such as "white fragility" and white supremist" which the latter had only been used on actual white supremists in the past like David Duke types and his followers, but she pretty much extends it to all white people, and will flat out tell you all white people are racist. She must have invented a new definition for it because the standard definition of white supremists doesn't fit the vast majority of white people at all.

Which brings us back to what you just said. I'm sure Robin DiAngelo would have used those same labels on Heather Heyer, even though she died standing alongside black and white protesting white nationalists.

Robin DiAngelo wants to judge us by our white skin. I'm convinced had Martin Luther King jr been alive today, he would not have agreed with her.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey Freeman View Post
Well, your questions get into intention versus impact. I will answer your questions, but I know this well-worn path well. For white folks, racism is coupled with the idea that the racist person is intentional and is deliberately inflicting harm by his or her actions. So, for example, a white person would consider running over a black man with a pickup truck and referring to his dead body as "some nigger" on social media, as racism. But would not consider the firing of the meteorologist who accidentally referred to Martin Luther King as Martin Luther Coon King as racism. The societal structures of white supremacy force people of color to always gauge whether a white person is being intentional or unintentional in their racism. The idea is that people of color are not allowed to be upset about unintentional acts of racism, we can be upset (anger and outrage are not allowed) when it is an intentional act of racism. Even I fell into the trap and thought "we're probably the only people of color this dude has ever broken bread with and he don't know how to act". But the problem is that this diminishes the impact of intentional and unintentional racism on people of color. People of color report higher levels of chronic stress which increases the risk of depression, diabetes, heart disease, and infant mortality. These actions lead to conditions that bring us all down with increased healthcare costs and decreased GDP output. Solving “the problem of the color line" benefits us all.

With that aside, let me answer your questions:

1. I think the people there thought it was wise for the guy to hide the value of the ring.
2. Yes, but this only happened once in my life. I'd be shocked if it ever happened again. I think those moments are once in a lifetime events (but could be wrong). Would be an interesting polling question for other people of color.

Regarding your other comment about white folks and being an oppressor. White folks are not the oppressor but they do insist on being the antagonist. Does that make sense?

Let me give you an example. If you ask what white folk want, they will say something like building a wall, cutting welfare, removing affirmative action, getting rid of abortion, freedom (which is white folk speak for "unfettered access to ammunition and firearms"), limited regulation (which is white speak for "don't spend my tax money on people of color"), etc. From my vantage point, the common theme that underlies white folk's happiness is hinged on inflicting humiliation and misery on people of color. That's the platform that over 50% of them support. In contrast, if you ask people of color what they want, they will tell you "Justice, Jobs, and Peace". No person of color campaigns on the platform of wanting to humiliate or cause misery to white folks. This paints an uncomfortable picture where white folks appear to not be concerned about a predictable set of issues but concerned about issues that effect other ethnic groups. It's antagonism for the sake of antagonism. For example, I don't believe white folks are opposed to universal healthcare because it's a bad idea. I think white folks are opposed to healthcare because they'd rather die a thousand deaths than to have any of their tax dollars be used to provide healthcare for one person of color.
White folks are evil, if they weren’t we would all be like Scandinavia.

Your self-hate is repellant.