Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-22-2019, 01:10 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,660

Suggestion: limit posting in the pit for new posters


The function of the BBQ pit seems to be as a release valve, or at least a place for people to speak their mind more frankly about other members. That said, these loosened rules also lead to far more negative things, like noxious jerks joining basically just to sling abuse at other members. That's... kinda shitty.

Or to put it another way: maybe it shouldn't be okay that your first ten posts on the forum contain quotes like this:

Quote:
Oh, you’re angry. Your ass is redder than a boiled lobster, hurling insults & calling me a liar.

But why are you SO upset?
Quote:
And since when “significant body of evidence” the standard? The lefts whole game is slander, innuendo, and bullshit.
Quote:
This is the pit right? I’ll go for the potshots, motherfucker.
I think there should be some kind of limit on how much is acceptable from newer posters in the pit. If you join the forum and then proceed to participate exclusively in bashing other people... that strikes me as bizarre and wrong, to be perfectly honest.

Maybe that posters need a certain number of posts to gain access? Or that if a certain portion of their posts aren't in other forums, they get put on notice? As is, it feels like we're allowing a lot of unwarranted and unpoliced abuse from people who... well, let's be blunt, haven't earned it. If I want to make a thread slagging off, say, iiandyiiii, sure, I'm gonna be mean to him, but we'll at least have the context that we know each other from more than just "me being a dick to him", y'know? (Example chosen because nobody in their right mind could pit iiandyiiii, we all like that guy ) Whereas if a total newbie shows up and starts randomly flinging insults at random people, it gives off a totally different, much more sinister and negative vibe. Am I the only one bothered by this?
  #2  
Old 09-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,405
I don't know, but I strongly suspect you're the only one bothered enough to suggest some sort of dickhead merit badge requirement.
  #3  
Old 09-22-2019, 01:52 PM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,025
It strikes me as odd when a poster has 199 posts, and 196 are in the Pit.

It makes me wonder why they even want to post here.
  #4  
Old 09-22-2019, 01:59 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
I don't know, but I strongly suspect you're the only one bothered enough to suggest some sort of dickhead merit badge requirement.
Well really it's kind of the opposite? A "not just a dickhead" merit badge, so to speak.
  #5  
Old 09-22-2019, 02:05 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
It strikes me as odd when a poster has 199 posts, and 196 are in the Pit.

It makes me wonder why they even want to post here.
If someone wants to put all of their posts in the pit, so what?
  #6  
Old 09-22-2019, 02:32 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
If someone wants to put all of their posts in the pit, so what?
It says they're only here for the trolling.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 09-22-2019 at 02:32 PM.
  #7  
Old 09-22-2019, 02:43 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,129
I'm sure the mods could handle any such situation. We have posters who never post in the pit. If we also have posters who always post in the pit that makes no difference to me.
  #8  
Old 09-22-2019, 03:06 PM
Qadgop the Mercotan's Avatar
Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 27,393
The board's big guiding principle: Don't be a jerk.

If a newbie (or old timer) posts only in the pit, but isn't a jerk, who cares? And if they are a jerk in the pit or elsewhere, let the mods deal with it.
  #9  
Old 09-22-2019, 03:38 PM
The Other Waldo Pepper is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
It says they're only here for the trolling.
I don’t see how that follows.

In plenty of ways, my politics are, well, ‘reactionary’. But, great guy that I am, I often post in GD while hoping to learn from those I disagree with (because, after all, the odds seem better than learning from folks I already agree with). But that’s running a risk for me, since it’d be easy for me to run afoul of rules in GD and wind up getting banned; after all, I’m outnumbered by left-leaning locals (so if we all screw up at the same rate, I’ll be out first, and fast) who presumably know the rules better than I do (so we presumably won’t screw up at the same rate).

And so I post — from a place of sincerity, not trollishness — in the BBQ pit, figuring that there are fewer rules to run afoul of. (I mean, I still post in GD, because, again, being a great guy, I figure I can do a pretty good job of staying on the right side of rules and bannings and such; but if I were a little less sure of myself, I’d only ever post with pure sincerity in the BBQ pit, because, well, why not?)

Last edited by The Other Waldo Pepper; 09-22-2019 at 03:40 PM.
  #10  
Old 09-22-2019, 04:27 PM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
If someone wants to put all of their posts in the pit, so what?
:shrug: as I said, it makes me wonder what they want out of the board. If someone ONLY posted in ATMB, I'd wonder as well.
  #11  
Old 09-22-2019, 06:23 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 22,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
… dickhead merit badge requirement.
Damn! That is funny!
  #12  
Old 09-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 339
Since those are my posts you quoted without giving me credit or showing the context, I guess I’ll chime in.

It seems your main gripe is low post count users having the audacity to say mean things in reply to high post count users who say mean things in a sub forum deliberately created to say mean things and ridicule/shame people.

Maybe, just maybe, it’s not the low post count user who is the one driving the discourse into the gutter.

In any normal human interaction in real life, nastiness begets nastiness. I don’t see how the pit is any different.

That said, most forums have a 50 post rule before you’re allowed to even view areas like the pit. If those were the rules I would have gladly done that, but they aren’t. I’m actually kind of surprised by this fact, but it is what it is.
  #13  
Old 09-22-2019, 08:04 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
It says they're only here for the trolling.
I’m assuming this is talking about me.

Just so everyone is clear - I never said that.
  #14  
Old 09-22-2019, 08:05 PM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,218
The mods haven't put restrictions on new posters in the past whenever the subject has come up. What makes you think they'll do so now?
  #15  
Old 09-22-2019, 08:17 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I don’t see how that follows.

In plenty of ways, my politics are, well, ‘reactionary’. But, great guy that I am, I often post in GD while hoping to learn from those I disagree with (because, after all, the odds seem better than learning from folks I already agree with). But that’s running a risk for me, since it’d be easy for me to run afoul of rules in GD and wind up getting banned; after all, I’m outnumbered by left-leaning locals (so if we all screw up at the same rate, I’ll be out first, and fast) who presumably know the rules better than I do (so we presumably won’t screw up at the same rate).

And so I post — from a place of sincerity, not trollishness — in the BBQ pit, figuring that there are fewer rules to run afoul of. (I mean, I still post in GD, because, again, being a great guy, I figure I can do a pretty good job of staying on the right side of rules and bannings and such; but if I were a little less sure of myself, I’d only ever post with pure sincerity in the BBQ pit, because, well, why not?)
I have also stated more or less the same before about why I post in the pit, and another reason I stay out of the other sub-forums like GD is that when you are a right leaning poster in a sea of left leaning posters there tends to be an “Inmates running the asylum” type of thing going on with the report button.

I’m not saying that this is the case here, but every other forum I’ve been in it happens. The outliers get too much scrutiny because they are outliers which means they get the report button hammered more than the mainstay positions which means more moderation attention, hence the inmates run the asylum.

Don’t know if it happens here but I prefer a level playing field.
  #16  
Old 09-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone is offline
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,861
There can be fact patterns that are not against the rules, but uncommon enough which could merit additional scrutiny. I'm not sure we need new rules but feel free to make your case.

If this rule were to be put in place, would new posters also be immune from criticism in the Pit as well, since they wouldn't be able to post there?
  #17  
Old 09-22-2019, 09:37 PM
Superdude is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Fortress of Solidude
Posts: 10,618
I gotta say that this is a solution in search of a problem. There's no really good reason to limit what a new poster can participate in. Seems a little snobby and elitist.
__________________
I can't help being a gorgeous fiend. It's just the card I drew.
  #18  
Old 09-22-2019, 09:41 PM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 22,925
The real answer here is for people to internalizing the fact that if someone disagrees with you, even strongly, it doesn't make that poster a troll.
  #19  
Old 09-22-2019, 10:01 PM
steatopygia's Avatar
steatopygia is offline
Experimental FOC Test Pilot
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Idaho mostly
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
The real answer here is for people to internalizing the fact that if someone disagrees with you, even strongly, it doesn't make that poster a troll.
This ^
  #20  
Old 09-22-2019, 10:21 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
The real answer here is for people to internalizing the fact that if someone disagrees with you, even strongly, it doesn't make that poster a troll.
Exactly.
  #21  
Old 09-22-2019, 10:55 PM
Roderick Femm's Avatar
Roderick Femm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the cusp, also in SF
Posts: 7,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
The board's big guiding principle: Don't be a jerk.

If a newbie (or old timer) posts only in the pit, but isn't a jerk, who cares? And if they are a jerk in the pit or elsewhere, let the mods deal with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
... If this rule were to be put in place, would new posters also be immune from criticism in the Pit as well, since they wouldn't be able to post there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
The real answer here is for people to internalizing the fact that if someone disagrees with you, even strongly, it doesn't make that poster a troll.
Quoted for their wonderful truth.
  #22  
Old 09-22-2019, 11:10 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 44,391
No. Absolutely not, under any circumstances.
  #23  
Old 09-22-2019, 11:13 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone is offline
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
No. Absolutely not, under any circumstances.
So you're saying there's daylight there?
  #24  
Old 09-23-2019, 01:16 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
The real answer here is for people to internalizing the fact that if someone disagrees with you, even strongly, it doesn't make that poster a troll.
Do you think this is about me disagreeing with someone? Serious question.
  #25  
Old 09-23-2019, 01:55 AM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Do you think this is about me disagreeing with someone? Serious question.
Seems that way from the OP.

That, and that somehow low post count users haven’t “earned” the right to “talk back” to high post count users.
  #26  
Old 09-23-2019, 02:14 AM
bucketybuck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,217
I would imagine most of my posts are in the Pit. I'm not a troll, I just tend to vulgarity and its easier to post there without worrying about stepping on any pearl clutching toes.

I strongly disagree with sanctioning people who post exclusively in one forum or another, and that includes the poor bastard who you actually warned/banned for such a crime recently.

Limiting new posters serves nobody, especially when this is clearly about one particular poster anyway. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
  #27  
Old 09-23-2019, 04:36 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,263
So, is Huey Freeman going to be unbanned anytime soon? Since the big rationale behind his banning was that he mostly posted in the Pit and targeted invective at other posters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
So, why is he banned now? When we started discussing him in the mod loop in response to the ATMB thread, I took a look at his posting history, and it turns out he hasn't posted anywhere on the board except for the Pit since October, excepting a couple posts he made to the ATMB thread about him today. And, near as I could tell, 100% of those Pit posts were attacking other posters. As it turns out, we have a Pit rule that explicitly covers that behavior:



Three months and change of posting nothing on the board but invective-filled screeds against other posters seems about as clear a violation of that rule as you could ask for.
Or is it only OK if you're a precious Right Wing snowflake?
  #28  
Old 09-23-2019, 05:18 AM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 22,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Do you think this is about me disagreeing with someone? Serious question.
Yeah, honestly, I do.

You've often maintained that we don't spot or enforce trolls quick enough and, God knows you report posters for being trolls. But by and large other than obvious trolls it seems from my perspective that you mostly consider trolls those people who disagree with you strongly.
  #29  
Old 09-23-2019, 06:33 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,658
The one thing that bothers me about *some* new posters is when they begin their board activity by starting a couple dozen new threads in just a few days.

Maybe make 'em wait a week after signing up and/or make 'em wait until their post count is up to, say, 20, before they can start threads? (That's assuming that can be done with the board software, of course: there's no way the mods could police that, and I wouldn't ask them to.)

But if new posters want to spend all their time in the Pit, that's fine with me.
  #30  
Old 09-23-2019, 11:37 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Yeah, honestly, I do.
Okay.

You're wrong.

You clearly think I'm too quick to call someone a troll. Yet, for some fucking reason, you can't spot a troll if they spent their first 200 posts doing nothing but calling people assholes, then literally said they're here to poke the bear and followed it up by calling women "females" and insinuating that someone who assumed that meant bad things must be a woman.

I just don't get it, man. What does it take? At what point does it click for you guys? Why even have a rule against trolling if enforcing it takes a fucking act of god?

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 09-23-2019 at 11:37 AM.
  #31  
Old 09-23-2019, 11:58 AM
Miller's Avatar
Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 44,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Okay.

You're wrong.
Sure doesn't seem to be wrong from where I'm sitting.

Quote:
You clearly think I'm too quick to call someone a troll. Yet, for some fucking reason, you can't spot a troll if they spent their first 200 posts doing nothing but calling people assholes, then literally said they're here to poke the bear and followed it up by calling women "females" and insinuating that someone who assumed that meant bad things must be a woman.

I just don't get it, man. What does it take? At what point does it click for you guys? Why even have a rule against trolling if enforcing it takes a fucking act of god?
Calling people "assholes" in the Pit isn't trolling. Enjoying posting to the Pit isn't trolling. Being kind of a dick isn't trolling. Just generally being right of center isn't trolling. Not agreeing with you personally, BPC, is not trolling.

I think you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that you simply are not very good at identifying trolls.
  #32  
Old 09-23-2019, 12:01 PM
jz78817 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 12,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post

I think you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that you simply are not very good at identifying trolls.
Or is truly so convinced of his correct-ness that the only possible way anyone could disagree with him is because they're doing it for fun.
  #33  
Old 09-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Okay.

You're wrong.

You clearly think I'm too quick to call someone a troll. Yet, for some fucking reason, you can't spot a troll if they spent their first 200 posts doing nothing but calling people assholes, then literally said they're here to poke the bear and followed it up by calling women "females" and insinuating that someone who assumed that meant bad things must be a woman.

I just don't get it, man. What does it take? At what point does it click for you guys? Why even have a rule against trolling if enforcing it takes a fucking act of god?
Wow. You clearly don’t know what “literally” means.
  #34  
Old 09-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
and followed it up by calling women "females" and insinuating that someone who assumed that meant bad things must be a woman.
Yes, you--I am sure--respectfully call them "women" while you are producing porn Advent calenders of them.
  #35  
Old 09-23-2019, 01:22 PM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 22,925

The Moderator Speaks Outside His Space


That’s enough right there.

This will not turn into a personal attack on any other poster. That goes for everyone.

I hope that’s clear.
  #36  
Old 09-23-2019, 01:52 PM
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 15,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
It strikes me as odd when a poster has 199 posts, and 196 are in the Pit.

It makes me wonder why they even want to post here.
Cheaper than therapy?
  #37  
Old 09-23-2019, 04:15 PM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Or is truly so convinced of his correct-ness that the only possible way anyone could disagree with him is because they're doing it for fun.
What part of ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
I know I won’t be changing any minds. This is for my own personal amusement.
...is not "doing it for fun"?
  #38  
Old 09-23-2019, 04:32 PM
TubaDiva's Avatar
TubaDiva is offline
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: In the land of OO-bla-dee
Posts: 11,164
A comment from the Peanut Gallery.

A few observations, which may or may not have any bearing but what the hey.

1. You are not forced to read any thread anywhere on this board at gunpoint or anything else.
2. Neither are you obligated to make a posting, even if you are called out by name to respond.
3. Hi Opal! Still meme-ing after all these years.
4. If you believe someone is trying to get a rise out of you, not having one in print is winning.
5. The IGNORE function is your friend. Even if no one else is.
6. Not everyone will agree with you always. This does not make them (or you) bad, it just means you disagree. But some of you are just evil. You know who you are.
7. Life is too short and over too soon and full of suffering. Unnecessary suffering should be avoided if you can manage it.
8. Go outside while it's still nice. You might feel better.
9. Just saying. Don't you hate people who say "Just saying?"

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Posting as a general observer and not to be taken as The Law.
__________________
Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness.— Allen Ginsberg
  #39  
Old 09-23-2019, 06:57 PM
Fenris's Avatar
Fenris is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 13,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Do you think this is about me disagreeing with someone? Serious question.
Yes.
  #40  
Old 09-23-2019, 07:52 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
What part of ...


...is not "doing it for fun"?
Yep, I’m posting for my own personal amusement. I know I’m not going to be changing any minds, especially ones like these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Ha ha. You have yet to see me lose my shit, asshole. But you can still take your pathetic attempt at tone policing and shove it up your prolapsed anus, if you can find space next to your neck.

Now now, be fair.

We've all been hoping you'd be banned way before you showed your misogyny.

Except octopus, apparently, but he's a microcephalic shitworm, so we don't expect any better from him.

The word you want, yet seem incapable of saying, is "woman", motherfucker.
You need to fuck off.
  #41  
Old 09-23-2019, 09:36 PM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 22,925

The Moderator Speaks


Annoyed, this is not the place for that sort of thing. Keep it in the Pit or in your head.
  #42  
Old 09-23-2019, 10:34 PM
Annoyed is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 339
Ok, will do.
  #43  
Old 09-23-2019, 10:37 PM
Isosleepy's Avatar
Isosleepy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,820
I’m not in favor of any new rules, nor a probation period for the pit or anywhere else. But if we do it, let’s do it right. 20 years.
  #44  
Old 09-24-2019, 02:20 AM
HurricaneDitka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14,571
this thread is awesome
  #45  
Old 09-24-2019, 02:27 AM
HurricaneDitka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14,571
Is it too late to endorse Isosleepy's suggestion (while noting his join date)?
  #46  
Old 09-24-2019, 07:32 AM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,405
Sounds acceptable as long as everyone who joined in, say, July 2012 or earlier is grandfathered in.
  #47  
Old 09-24-2019, 08:24 AM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
...noxious jerks joining basically just to sling abuse at other members.
Well, it's a mildly refreshing change from the usual noxious jerks flinging poop at other posters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed
Wow. You clearly don’t know what “literally” means.
Oh god, let's not start that again.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 09-24-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017